/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
maketecheasier.com/6-tools-to-easily-create-your-own-custom-linux-distro/
bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hi.

First for
GNU/TempleOS

HELO

TempleOS is not GNU, that guy wrote it all himself.

Is there a way with which I can quickly switch between keyboard layouts?
Alternatively a way to type Umlaute on the us layout?

Nice OC

Hold Ctrl+Shift then press U, then release them and type F6 (not the function key, literally type F then 6), and then press any key.
Result: ö.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,gr"
Option "XkbVariant" "colemak,"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shifts_toggle"
EndSection

What is the best and why is it what I'm using?

What are some cool terminal commands?

i'm going to try Linux for almost my first time (by that i mean that i have tried linux when i was like 8 or something so i don't remember anything, i've also used Raspberry Pi Raspbian) i'm going with Fedora, what am i in for, was Fedora a good choice or should i try something else? Coming from Windows 10

install gentoo, its the best for beginners

kill -9 ""

arch + i3

mine is bigger

!23

printf '%s\n' 'rm() { mkdir -p ~/trash; mv $@ ~/trash/; };' >> ~/.bashrc; . ~/.bashrc

linux wrote an operating systemd which is backdoored by the nasa botnet

>Qt file dialog is supposedly 'better'
>typing filename doesn't jump to it
>pressing enter doesn't save
Multiple thumbnails is in no way beneficial anyways. I prefer the Gtk dialog and I hope they keep it that way.

>$@
QUOTES, please add QUOTES

>linus is a virus that infects everything it touches

Reminds me to look up the specifications for Trash/files to make restoring files work. Thanks. No I have something to do tonight.

AAAA STILL NO DEBIAN 9

>QUOTES, please add QUOTES
Wouldn't adding quotes make the shell treat it as a single string?

Reminder there is no reason to use xterm or urxvt over something like xfce terminal.

>run normal distro for main
>install pen testing distro on small partition
>chroot into it to pentest
Feels good man. Why have I not heard of this setup before?

Why not just install any pentesting software you need on your own distro?

Because pentesting distros are stupid. You get shitloads of tools for different topics and have no idea how the shit works. Its better to stick to a topic, research, learn related programs and move on to the next topic.

>not running kali as main distro

thänks.

Is kali the ultimative best distro?
>stable with uptodate packages
>no canonical dick
>easy to install

>Ubuntu-based distros

Yöü'rë wëlcömë.

You'd need to make some changes to make it a daily driver OS, like, creating a user, etc. But basically there's nothing speaking against it, if you're "that guy".

Debian-based*

Ubuntu isn't a base distro, its a Debian derivative.

I don't want the clutter and the same tools never work as well as they do on dedicated distros in my experience. Wifite is one example. I've tried several versions from AUR and the black arch repos and used all optional deps. It's not very reliable. The Backbox version just works for some reason. It snatches handshakes fucking fast. I have no idea why it's different, I just know that it is. The kali version also sucks in comparison but that's a different conversation.

>Is kali the ultimative best distro?
Backbox is superior

Kali is not based on Ubuntu

>Backbox
never heard of it
yet another 1338 distro like black arch/parrot/etc?

Leave your neighbors wifi alone, faggot.

>install manjaro
>switch to unstable repos
>~6 hours behind arch
>can just revert to stable if you run into issues you can't resolve
Is Manjaro the ultimate lightweight and user friendly distro for daily use?

It Arch made useable.

No. I've been using my neighbors wifi for years and you can't stop me.

What happened to Sup Forums's wiki?

I think Manjaro is a fine distro. The only beef I have with it is the "turning back your system clock in order to access our forum" thing, which was VERY wired. Tried different versions of Manjaro in a VM before (really love the i3 and bspwm editions) but that system clock thing ... it's hard to take them serious after that happening.

So is this
KERNEL=="usb4", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d6b", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001" a valid udev rule?
Or did I forget to include something?

>that system clock thing ... it's hard to take them serious
That's pretty dumb. You expect people to be perfect? The people maintaining it are just people like anybody else and it wasn't really a big deal anyways.

When you search long enough, you'll find simliar things at all distros.

They did it not once
Not twice
But three times IN A ROW.
If they are that lax with their ssl cert, i cant imagine what else they lax in on their distro

I was using it. It didn't effect me.

Just because you dont use the forums does not reflect their managment.

Bot was spamming on it, everything seems to be cleaned up now.

I've been wanting to use arch for a long time now, but i'm not really an expert of linux. I heard there are a lot of arch automated installers and i'm wondering which one to use.

>TFW nexuiz owner went full Jew

And I wanted to go back to that game. Any other alternatives that are active?

It takes 15 fucking minutes to install it and you dont have to deal with the fuckery of some bullshit installer doing non standard configurations

install ubunut

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

The link in the OP is broken, that's why I ask: what distro should I go with if I've never used Linux before?

I'm between two choices here:
>1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
>2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.

does the first option allow for a real Linux experience? Tbh, the only reason I want Linux is to learn how to use it and be able to put it on my CV, improve my chances of getting hired.

What's the most common distro used in a work environment? thx guys

Is there a terminal browser like links/w3m that can automatically refresh a page so I can browse Sup Forums with it?

install ubunut

Ubuntu LTS is a stepping stone.

install gentoo, it's the best distro for beginners and looks good on your resume

Gentoo

Installed OpenSUSE with full disk encryption in both hyper-v and virtualbox. I can't get the disk encryption password prompt to show in normal boot mode. I have to use recovery mode to be able to be able to enter the password. Any suggestions?

Go compare Debian stretch to Arch in terms of stability and get back to me. That post is mostly bullshit btw.

>OpenSUSE
Isn't that that new windows app?

>vanilla packages from upstream is bad
>gotta fuck with everything to make it 'good'
Fuck off seriously.

>ubuntu, suse, fedora
>only corporate dick distros
really makes you think

Pic related yes but I need to actually sandbox it in a VM.

They just want a piece of the cake.

Gentoo can do partial upgrades.

>really makes you think
are you really?

You can run it on a vm. I like debian.

Fedora is great for beginners and experts alike. You will enjoy using it, but you might want to look up some gnome extensions you want to install beforehand. Gnome3 can be very weird to newcomers.

They've lost the respect of a lot of people doing it too. I understand companies using them but it's hard to believe that average joe browsing Sup Forums is still using them.

you're not me

Neither are you!

t-thanks

>Fedora
>chromium bin is compiled without support for important shit like html5 h265 video playback
>windows app
It's not even good at being a sell out. It fails on multiple levels.

I really don't know what DE i like.. they all do something slightly weird that i dislike, yet all have things i like.

What are the alternatives if I don't want to spend my spare time tweaking my distro?

Thanks

Use one until you get burnt out and switch to another. Do you really want to just pick one and use it every day forever?

People are saying that Manjaro is the new Ubuntu

Install arch, xfce and xdm, and you won't need tweaking.

No, shortcuts are broken in xfce. I like using modifier-only ones and I don't want to change my habit.

>xdm
>better than lightdm
No thanks. Opinion discarded.

>shortcuts
What are shortcuts? The icon on which you click to run things? How are they broken?

>shortcuts
That's not very specific. What shortcuts?

maketecheasier.com/6-tools-to-easily-create-your-own-custom-linux-distro/

>this whole post

Hotkeys.

Modifier only ones. You cannot bind Super and Super+D or Ctrl+Shift and Ctrl+Shift+C at the same time. It can partially be solved patching Xorg (see bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=865), but it still doesn't work in Xfce: you have to patch libxfce4-whateversuffix library, and it's not very reliable.

>Hotkeys.
Use xbindkeys, it's not the responsibility of the wm/de to bind keys.

That's not true for WM-specific shortcuts like "Show desktop / Hide all windows".

>That's not true for WM-specific shortcuts like "Show desktop / Hide all windows".
Yes, you're right. But some wm accet external commands. So you can still use xbindkeys for everything.

should i install lubuntu or try to meme with gentoo?

i am stuck with a shitty 3gb ram laptop. i use it to program in C++, node.js, and php, and also watch videos while doing it since i still learn those languages. having a couple of tabs (any browser) while coding just makes ubuntu shit himself

Do any of you guys know the name of this penguin?

install debian with xfce or lxde desktop

install a newer version of meme.js or php from backports if the shipped version is not high enough.

I'd go with Xubuntu. LXDE is dead, and LXDE-qt isn't ready yet.

s/LXDE-qt/lxqt/
ninja edit

how important is the root/sudo password?

is it devastating to my online security to use a simple English dictionary word as my root password?

It depends. Is your computer connected to the internet?

Xonotic is the active fork. It's breddy gud.