/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/IqmXN_0aD1k

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZGBcWObxtPk
youtu.be/vtAu7xkwNjQ
quillandpad.com/2016/02/22/the-parmigiani-senfine-concept-features-grasshoppers-and-silicon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good morning Mr. Phelps.

Our agents have determined that Omega has lost all innovative skills. The remaining telephone sanitizers that escaped Ark B are now working on painting the faces in new and hideous colours. It is now just over 2 years til the 50 year celebration of the first Man on the Moon.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to create a new movement with a new complication to properly celebrate this moment. You may also dispose of all and any telephone sanitizers by putting them on the next Ark.

This thread with self destruct in 300 posts. Good luck, Jim.

Remake a 321 powered MOTFM. It's the right choice.

>Innovation is to return to 50 year old tech.
OK.

Let us not forget the appropriate music:
youtu.be/ZGBcWObxtPk

>Your failure in reading comprehension is evident.

Let's review, shall we?

Question aksed of you:
>Do you agree that a black dial (for instance) is a more formal design element than a bright yellow dial (for instance)?

Your direct response:
>No I don't

Leave your autistic argument in the last thread, faggot.

Which part of getting questions back did you fail to comprehend, user? Which part? You are embarrassing yourself. Go to bed.

You too, fuck off with that shit. Go be autistic somewhere else.

I just showed you in black and white, question-response.

You have issues bro.

This.

Phuck me dead I loved this performance

I think it should be a high frequency movement. youtu.be/vtAu7xkwNjQ

Use modern tech like silicon based movement. One example here that looks amazing
quillandpad.com/2016/02/22/the-parmigiani-senfine-concept-features-grasshoppers-and-silicon/

What's the best vintage Rolex to buy around €2000

6694 Oysterdate.
Or if you could find a ratty Datejust for that price, then that.

What's the most versatile watch for >£7k. I only want to own one watch and be able to wear it for all occasions.

Go.

Just go.

Shit. I meant < £7k...

You.

Just (You).

Snow Frake

Fine. On the assumption you will--in addition--allow a 321 powered remake of the original MOTFM, I'll give you a more innovative idea.

Personally, I feel like it makes more sense to keep with the spirit of the original as a functional tool watch for outer space usage than to try and incorporate gimmick complications (e.g. earthphase).

Towards that end, I think a silicon movement manufactured using MEMS technology using a free sprung balance and featuring a directly driven chronograph function (for the enhanced shock and g-force resistance) would be most in keeping with the spirit of the original. And of course, no co-axial escapement.

What are some cheap as fuck items I could order from Aliexpress? I have a coupon there and it expires soon.
I already have these from aliex:
>12 watch box
>spring bar tool
>a shit ton of nato straps
Anything else worth trying?

Mechanical beater.

Grand Seiko Quartz
Rolex Explorer I

I don't want them, they are fuck ugly. Besides, I already have Vostok beaters.

There are a few classier designs, but you sure do have to look hard.

>post watch collections

>lawyer's

You have only chronos and divers? What is the ref number of that sub?

Yuck. I do like the Tudor, though.

>more money than class, the image.

Stop posting collections which aren't yours mate

None of those are mine. Saved from different forums

>Stop posting collections which aren't yours mate
Why? I never implied they were mine. see

My art history professor had that same panda speedmaster. Looked sharp.

>mfw I'm still baffled by the impressive collection of a real Sup Forums poster

Ok

how much for the Longines?

What's the one next to the Citizen astronomic and behind the Seamaster Cosmic?

You have some good pieces, but you should get rid of all the shitters also.

I got the longines for 300-400 I think.
I think you mean the Seiko 5s21, which uses a small vial of liquid in the watch to dampen a 4hz quartz stepper motor movement to a truly smooth sweep.

I like the 556i

I'd like to buy yours, what are the specs?

I'm not selling mine.

>stop liking what I don't like

>which uses a small vial of liquid in the watch to dampen a 4hz quartz stepper motor movement to a truly smooth sweep.

Thought it used a spring to dampen it. Neat.

What model is that beauty?

Men = Casio
Women = Seiko

Why do I see men wearing Seiko here?

omg
>btw keep your photos g-rated, of I WILL contact a Moderator.

you stupid, stupid fool.

Can I wear a black-dialed watch with blue jeans and blue shirt?

>Men = Casio
lol NO

What watch?
Also /fa/

rolex submariner, black, no date

only non-meme choice

I'm being trained by a master watchmaker who is a mechanical genius. Whatcha got?

>Implying

say a sinn 104 (I'm talking casual here)

>pic related

yes, you moron, obviously

a diver will never pass as a dress watch. frankly it's insulting when I see people wear submariners with suits (let alone tuxedos).

pls try 2 b kinder 2 others

either an explorer 1 or a datejust. I would go with the datejust personally as there are tons of options to fit your tastes.

BINGO
>GADA watch
>casual
>dress
>rugged
>swim

Definitely recommend this crown and buckle american strap
Best leather you can get for 60 bucks

>tfw I am at a point in my life where I can finally pull the trigger on a Rolex
>just a Perpetual 39mm in Rhodium, used for $4100(sold one of guns that I barely shot and an old Macbook that I don't use)
>they overnighted weekend shipped it to me ETA tomorrow
>I just overnighted screw driver from Amazon that is designed for Rolex bracelet just in case but the store owner said two links have been remove and I should be able to just adjust it through the pins
I will be doing an unboxing tomorrow afternoon if anyone is interested...

adding to this, you should never wear a watch with a tuxedo.

ever.

Seconded, it's god damned perfection and all I wear unless I'm doing something where I know it'll get banged around.

Recommend me the best $1000 34mm-35mm watches worth collecting.

Congrats man!

I'm excited for you, those look absolutely incredible and probably wear like a dream.

maybe some '40's/'50's Girard Perregaux, Zenith, Omega, JLC, Enicar

I love the looks of the DJ. Wish the newer 41mm version wasn't so big though,my wristis only 7inch

Thanks, I am so excited I can't even type straight. I probably won't be able to sleep or take a bath without fear that the DHL guy might knock on my door while I am in the bathroom.

oh for heaven's sake, a 7" wrist can easily (and tastefully) accommodate a 41mm watch.

D o m e

haha I can empathize in my own way (not at Rolex-tier myself yet)

that starburst gray dial and blue points on the indices give that watch a lot of character, it's gorgeous. and 39mm will look good on a 5"-9" wrist.

keep the bathroom door open!

Old pic but wearing the Alpinist on a nato for a fun change.

>smacks the japper trash out of your hand, watching the 'hardlex' explode into pieces on the floor

SAD!

I really love my Alpinist. Have been thinking about a NATO so I'm glad to see it does look good on them. I'm currently using a tobacco brown ColaReb strap.

>Hardlex
>On a Lord Marvel 5740C
Fucking watch plebs need to leave.

Give your dad back his watch before you scratch it.

lol as if you know what a Lord Marvel is

>that accuracy
>a sought-after watch/movement
>calling ME the pleb

you wretched cretin

If you are referring to the size that is just the camera perspective. For example my turtle is considerably bigger yet fits just right. Pic related.

If you are going to get the "bond" colorway I recommend watchgecko's. Some other places get the colors wrong and too saturated.

Can I wear a nato (think khaki or olive) with a flieger?

Or do I have to wear it with one of those confounded leather straps with the abhorrent rivets

what size is your wrist pls

(nice watch btw, looks great)

Says the absolute pleb who thought that domed crystal was hardlex.

I do in fact have tiny wrists. Somewhere around 6.5". My max capacity for lug to lug is 48mm.

I was thinking a dark brown or original olive. I might also get a bracelet. Haven't decided yet.

Who else is swapping out their leather straps for perlon now that the seasons are changing?

I think he meant maybe Hesalite maybe...

Isn't that just what omega calls their acrylic crystals? Seiko's never used 'hesalite' iirc.

Rolex used it on some of their older diving watches because it doesn't shatter or is not brittle like acrylic. Now they all use a special proprietary sapphire.

is this the most /wg/ anime of all time?

btw checkout s town podcast, interesting crime podcast with one of the key players being one of the top horologists in the country (john b macklemore)

This is my collection

>fake AP
Why user? Have you no shame?

>fake

>special proprietary sapphire
So, standard sapphire then.

I'm no expert on the RO offshores but it looks pretty fake to me.

Naw, I only do metal and leather.