HACKERS MADE LESS THAN 26,000 USD

>26,000 USD

HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

gizmodo.com/hackers-behind-massive-ransomware-have-made-an-embarras-1795195644

Other urls found in this thread:

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/wana-decrypt0r-ransomware-using-nsa-exploit-leaked-by-shadow-brokers-is-on-a-rampage/
intel.malwaretech.com/WannaCrypt.html
thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/round-two-wannacry-ransomware-that-struck-the-globe-is-back
forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/05/13/wannacry-ransomware-outbreak-stopped-by-researcher/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not doing it for the lulz in the first place

In 24 hours.

The victims have a week to pay up.

it's because they attacked poor people

How could they tell?
I thought each device got a different address to pay to, but all the screenshots have the same one.
If it's all the same address then it'd be easy to check but how would the server be able to tell which transaction is for which key?

How much did you make in the last 48 hrs?

>$26k
>in two days
>for a week's worth of work

seems pretty good to me. i slave for six figures a year and would trade for this any day.

i'm jealous of people who can smoke pot and fuck around and not have to deal with clients, managers, and an inbox full of stupid questions

Just because the Hackers made "only" 26K, doesn't mean life didn't suck for a lot of windows users thanks to shitty MS security.

Amen.

do you expect baby boomers to know what buttcoin is?

>i'm jealous of people who can smoke pot and fuck around and not have to deal with clients, managers, and an inbox full of stupid questions
how common is this sentiment?

>asking for bitcoin
>not asking for credit cards
>not asking for prepaid credit cards
>not asking for moneypak at the very least
It's almost like they expected people to create a buttcoin wallet

what's that?

>how would the server be able to tell which transaction is for which key?

I wonder too.

>Damage millions of dollars in infrastructure and kill dozens of hospital patients
>for $26,000

probably some other virtual coin. there are dozens and every other retard dreams about theirs becoming popular.

They probably live in slav land, and are practically kings now.

these guys are just attention seeking, if they watned they could quit their jobs and be a dumb ass stoner but they wont

There's 3 hardcoded bitcoin addresses

This. Also keep in mind that it's Saturday, just wait for Monday to roll around.

They probably made zero, because shit got international coverage, FBI & NSA and a ton of other agencies are now looking over their bitcoin wallets and tracking them, good luck moving or spending it. Also they probably left unintentional clues during deployment or in the code, will be a matter of time before they are caught in my opinion.

The person(s) who did this were amateurs, they used only 3 bitcoin wallets from what i read, they relied on 1 domain in their attempt to confuse malware researchers, which created a kill switch (intentional or not), the exploit used wasn't anything original or new.

In the end they fucked up a ton of computers and apparently endangered lives of people in certain countries, as the worm spread to old XP systems in hospitals, causing delays and such.

The only good thing that will come out of this is maybe it will be a lesson to many to emphasize security & backups more, and to NEVER allow backdoors or patch them faster and harder than before. In many ways this is NSA's fault for not disclosing the backdoor earlier and in private, instead they tried to weaponize it.

There is also a huge danger here, if someone smart enough tries it again on a much bigger scale and with a zero-day exploit, can take out millions of systems. If it ends up on some sensitive systems, like a energy plant or a water dam, can cause people to die.

>implying bitcoin can be tracked
Transactions are stored permanently in the blockchain but that doesn't mean that they're trackable.

i wish i could make 26k in one day some day. i wish i could make 26 in a day right now.

26k for an hours worth of work and having fun

>making $26k in one day

Maybe that's pocket change but a millionaire but for people who are likely a group of SE Asian gooks living in a jungle, it's not too bad.

>they relied on 1 domain in their attempt to confuse malware researchers, which created a kill switch (intentional or not)

What does it matter
There's already a different version(s) out.

Also Microsoft needs to realize that popular products require security updates. Doesn't matter the age, if there is still a significant market using their products it falls on Microsoft to maintain security or release source code to allow third parties to do it.

Should be made into some form of law in all honesty. In many way this shit is the fault of proprietary systems as well.

I haven't heard about other versions, but haven't checked news since 10 hours ago. Do you have a specific link to back this up?

Microsoft gives fair warning when they drop support, if you're running an outdated OS it's your damned fault.

Windows 10 never again

How did they infect with this one?

Bitcoin can be tracked, because all transactions can be pinpointed and law enforcement can follow the trail.

With enough resources it wouldn't be that hard to find out where the money and trades occur.

I'm so happy this happened. As a convicted hacker, it always feels good when shit gets fucked up and normies cry.

Tell that to the corporate and government who aren't willing to spend billions every few years to upgrade their software and hardware.

You'll be the same little whinny bitch about increased taxes if government especially followed up one very new hardware and software release.

You don't need windows 10 to run a shitty input terminal, etc.

>mainstream media reports nothing to see here move along
>in other news Microsoft Windows 10 Secure Edition protects your data by ensuring only Microsoft Certified applications are installed on your Intel i7 vPro workstation. Intel Inside TM
:^)

>Tell that to the corporate and government who aren't willing to spend billions every few years to upgrade their software and hardware
If they care enough about updates they'll either update the OS or throw a metric buttload of money at Microsoft for updates after the EOL

Just takes a few clicks

Yes that's true, but the EOL was like $100 a year per a machine, which is retarded. I think NHS got a 5 pounds per machine deal but even then they didn't update the contract due to funding.

Governments are also stupid for choosing proprietary systems in the first place. But at the same time no single open source OS exists that provides as much driver support, compatibility, etc.

iirc it was a malicious pdf, then when it ran it'd spread to other machines over smb

>WUZ

but this thing was in a ton of countries

It probably got emailed to a lot of people

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/wana-decrypt0r-ransomware-using-nsa-exploit-leaked-by-shadow-brokers-is-on-a-rampage/

What the fuck are you talking about. Plenty of corporations keep their shit up to date. Things like this mean losing big money. Microsoft was even good to enough to roll out patches to XP too.

>bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/wana-decrypt0r-ransomware-using-nsa-exploit-leaked-by-shadow-brokers-is-on-a-rampage/

That shit is the original one, no new version has been released as far as I can tell.

Microsoft released updates not because they were so nice, but because they are scared shitless someone will sue them if anyone died or some EU law will come into play forcing them to do updates for legacy systems or allow third parties to do it.

Don't be, regular pot smoking is awful for the mind body and spirit
>muh benefits
>muh harmlessness
Yeah it doesn't kill after 4 times or whatever but extended use takes control of your lifestyle and dreams, replacing them with complacency

If they knew something more about how economics work they would have amassed much more money.

If it was for the money, they should have asked $30 or $60 per key, so much more people would have been able to pay.

If it was to send a message, they did well.

>UPDATE [May 12, 2017, 08:58 PM ET]: While the spread of the worm has been temporarily stopped by MalwareTech's registration of one of the hardcoded C2s, this is just a temporary measure. It would be trivial to modify the ransomware to use different domains and the process starts again. As BleepingComputer and MalwareTech state, the only solution is to make sure you have all your Windows security updates installed!

intel.malwaretech.com/WannaCrypt.html

I smoke weed and handle 7 figure transactions with mining and oil production companies. Just get high. unless you smell like snoop dog or look like a cartoon people that don't smoke won't know shit. And if they do smoke they won't give a shit.
>slave
>six figures/yr
lol

It's not targeted at end users, the whole point of it is to infect large networks.

$600, even per machine isn't much to a business compared to the downtime they'll face at the start of the week.

Yeah, it's a warning, it doesn't mean another version has been released. No evidence that a new version is out.

In fact the amateurs that did this, probably smashed their computers hours ago, shitting their pants.

There was no long term play, it was rushed, they didn't even have specific bitcoin addresses generated per machine, no one can even get their encryption key. Only a few bitcoin addresses have been collected.

The shit you are seeing on the map is still the old one by the way.

>attempt to confuse malware researchers
no
>which created a kill switch
no
>intentional
yes
>or not
wew

WanaCry is so poorly made that no encryption key was ever sent out and only 3 bitcoin addresses used to collect funds, no way to trace which computer paid. No one is getting their shit unlocked. Unless they used the same key for every encryption, which is also possible.

Market economy. Microsoft won't do shit unless it means more money or less spending

wtf are you on about?

thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html

>hack the world
>only get 26k

Except people in government will consult Microsoft to discuss the attack, and they will ask why no security update was made for older systems, Microsoft will say they dropped support, blah blah, and government will enact new laws forcing new systems to have support indefinitely or ban such products in certain sectors.

Microsoft is also stupid for not migrating Windows XP to a new version of Windows via an update, like Windows Legacy for free or at low cost and then charge for support and maintenance.

>damage control general

':D

Really newfag??

That's because the retards built a disabling mechanism in the code, but forgot to register the address so someone registered it and commanded the virus to stop spreading.

>seems pretty good to me.

It's downright pathetic given the risk they are taking by doing this. They have every relevant intelligence and law enforcement agency on the world looking to tear their asses apart now.

>ignoring eventual legal fees

>wow such incompetent
>being this gullible

you can't be this stupid

>thehackernews.com/2017/05/wannacry-ransomware-cyber-attack.html

Update: Originally, this piece included quotes from a second security researcher who tweeted he had found samples without the so-called killswitch. The researcher has since deleted those tweets and Motherboard has removed them from the article. Another researcher confirmed they have seen samples of the malware without the killswitch.

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/round-two-wannacry-ransomware-that-struck-the-globe-is-back

That article you posted is pure click-bait btw, but it does seem some script kiddie hexed out the url check. So we might be in for new infections.

This isn't a new variant however.

> Being this retarded

forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/05/13/wannacry-ransomware-outbreak-stopped-by-researcher/

Well shit, the more you know.

>clickbait
>posts more clickbait

just archive it you faggot

They didn't "forget to register" it lmao
Stop embarrassing yourself

>then charge for support and maintenance.
they already do this. they just made the patch public because they underestimated the collective retardness of everyone hit by this.
it's not supposed to be registered. that's the whole point.

Not who you are responding to, but why would they intentionally leave it unregistered? Why would they intentionally leave a kill switch in a worm whose entire purpose is to spread and extort?

you handle 7 figure transactions? *yawn*
let me know when you handle 8 figure orders, kiddo

How did they make 26K when they demanded payments of $300? 3∤26

>people are paying the hackers 8% tips

>make $26k in a day while masturbating to anime traps and watching meme compilations on youtube
>"H-Ha how embarrassing for you, you shut down our hospitals and you didn't even make a million dollars!"

Bitcoin aren't physical. They are just a number. The moment it gets mixed with other bitcoins it is impossible to track them anymore.

you always tip so you guarantee a good service next time

>> kill dozens of hospital patients
name one NSA shill

$26,000 isn't worth making yourself public enemy #1 in a bunch of major countries. You can be sure that nobody will protect your ass if you're ever caught, and you have the whole world looking for you.

yo if you want your data send me $300 to my paypal [email protected]

Post yfw they should have only charged $1.00 for decryption
>make millions overnight
>retire
>continue collecting for life

Why even add a killswitch?

Considering the likely hood of them getting a predator missile up their ass in the near future I would say it was a terrible deal. In Afghanistan the goat fuckers will sell information to the Taliban about our positions and will get hundreds of thousands for it, some places we busted had million stashed away. They don't even get in trouble when we find it either. We just tell them to not do it again and take the money. So think about that, these hackers are literally more stupid than the illiterate goat fuckers in Afghanistan.

>wasting a missile on a skiddie. Digits confirm

that's pretty good for someone in a third world country, it's like 250,000

A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness - not necessarily with computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the 60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean "security breaker." Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are "crackers.

ever thought that money might not be the point at all?

Go watch another fucking Netflix documentary

you "slave" for six figures a year?
people here slave for 6-10k, fuck off

So how does it tell one transaction from another?
Would make sense if the amount was slightly different each time, but it just says "$300", not the actual bitcoin amount, so... how?

I'm guessing it's just a scam and they don't decrypt your data anyway.

>t. 16 year old living with parents
People in the real world have responsibilities and if they left their work they wouldn't survive, at least try not to be a retard

No evidence of the malicious email has been found by ms, cloudstrike or Intel

>using the smiley with a carat nose but to make a retarded post

Only 8? Why aren't you earning at least 10,000,000,000 goyim.

if you can build a clock you can get into MIT

Lol an underage conservative

It is dutch for penis.
They get a lot of it.

worth it to embarass thousands of IT faggots worldwide

Maybe this is to crash the BTC market. Orchestrated by Windows themselves...