So after the recent fiasco with WannaCry I have to finally stop using Windows XP SP2 32-bit and I thought that since I...

So after the recent fiasco with WannaCry I have to finally stop using Windows XP SP2 32-bit and I thought that since I mostly browse the Internet nowadays and don't even play video games anymore I might as well try out Ubuntu. Now the question is: which version should I try, the newest 17.04 one or the 16.04.2 LTS? Pros and cons of each one? If I choose 17.04, will I be able to just upgrade to a new version once 17.04 support ends? I kind of want to try out the newest one, but sometimes the newest thing is not always the best, so...

Upgrading between releases is possible, but only from 17.04 to 17.10, to 18.04 and so on, so skipping. However, upgrading between LTS releases has more quality control, and a lower chance of failing for one reason or another.

You may as well install Ubuntu Gnome as Unity is deprecated now anyway.

You should always use the latest. The LTS version is just for big business that does not have the competence to keep software up to date.

17.04 because you're on desktop
lts is for servers
debian ubuntu packages are old enough as it is
yes you will be able its one cmd or smth sudo do-release-upgrade

Ubuntu is officially switching to GNOME in the next release.

Thanks for the answer. However, could you elaborate on what do you mean by "skipping"? You mean I would have to upgrade often? That is not a problem for me. I kind of like to have the newest version of everything anyway.

Or you know, for people who want security updates but not for major features to change.

>upgrading between LTS releases has more quality control, and a lower chance of failing for one reason or another.
This is not true. Both Stable and LTS have equal quality control.

then maybe you should consider Arch - or their friendlier derivatives; Antergos, or Manjaro

All you have to do is run do-release-upgrade every 6 months.

Please do not use Manjaro.
See

this is correct
lts is just comfyer for bussineses because they don't have to reinstall every 6 months ie google nasa etc

if you're willing to upgrade every 6 months, you should use the non-LTS so you have recent versions of things
if you'd prefer to not have to touch it for a few years at a time (home server, for example), then use LTS

>then maybe you should consider Arch

Out of the question. If he's considering Ubuntu, you can assume convenience and stability are actually necessary to him.

>sometimes the newest thing is not always the best
i think you'll find this is more true in the windows world than it is in the linux world

Thanks!

Isn't Arch for professionals who know what they do? From browsing the Sup Forums briefly it seems that recommending Arch for new users is a meme of some kind. I know that there are user friendlier versions of it, but you have to consider that I never used Linux before in my life, so I need the most begineer friendly version of (GNU/+)Linux possible.

>or their friendlier derivatives

the funny thing is they say about arch is hobbyist but then recommend manlaro
however arch is proffesional (as a free project) but manjaro literary stated on their website it was a hobby project and it is (no criticism or anything) but it gets shilled WAY too much, and omg the repetitive issues people have/had every update, if you gonna recommend it at least shill it as it is - a hobby arch spin with a gpu and kernel script, green themes and edgy user base. peace

Why did not a single person forward this to /fglt/?
>>>/fglt

Oh shit, you're right. I'll check out /fglt/.

>Professionals
Autists maybe, use Xubuntu or Debian if you want something that werks

unity is already forked and will survive. go with 16.04 until support ends and be happy with a fast, reliable machine.

>debian
>can't burn a cd without failing
>just werks™

fuck off

How can someone use Windows XP in 2017?
Are you from Ghana?

>burning a cd

what fucking year is this

mint/cinnamon
fuck ubuntu with that gnome3 bullshit

apparently for debian it's 2006

as stated in the /fglt/ you don't have to gnome or unity with ubuntu

arch is as stable as you made it
but you probably can't
hence your comment

this is completely retarded

just go with an Ubuntu flavour on LTS. you'll see it's all the same shite when you're using it. don't distro-hop

and DE != distro

but it's the default choice..
Explain to a newuser how to install other DE

Poland. I know people will say "just pirate Win10 and update it", but I kind of don't want to use illegal software for personal reasons(I know people will laugh at this, but I became Christian like 2 years ago) and I kind of wanted to try out Linux anyways. I've heard that Ubuntu is the most noob friendly and I decided to try it out. That's why I made this thread.

>buy windows key from ebay/reddit
>use w10 media creation tool

>Why do you use Linux, user?
>Oh, because I am christian.

Don't worry about it mate
distro choice doesn't matter much, DE matters more if you're new to Linux as you'll just use it most of the time, not terminal

I didn't know the New Testament was updated to explicitly forbid the use of pirated software, huh.

Arch is for experienced users but there are distros, like Antergos, that are based off of it that provide an experience similar to Ubuntu.

It's mostly because I don't play video games anymore anyway, just browse the Internet, and Ubuntu comes with Firefox already, so I decided to try out Linux. Also security.

Somewhat related to the wannacry shit but don't want to start a new thread, someone said turning off network discovery is good, but doing that automatically turns on windows firewall for some retarded reason in windows 7 every time, and I can't connect to the internet with it on they way it's set up.

Excuse my retardation but is there some way to turn it off without firewall or are they tied together? Turning off firewall auto turns on network discovery too.

idk ubuntu is kinda a mess in that department
if you have already installed and really want to know join their irc channel on freenode
otherwise see the new pasta on the current gnu linux thread

that's a nice example
on arch i just have to pacman -Rs gnome and pacman -S plasma
lets try this on xubuntu and holy shit
>it just werks, not
arch is one of the best dev env

>if you have already installed and really want to know
not OP

RHEL is patrician as fuck and you get your own support if something goes wrong.

Siema.

Ubuntu is fine and a great OS. I got my father Ubuntu because windows vista lost support and he learned how to use it instantly.

With Ubuntu, you're still able to install environments such as lxde, gnome even with the stock Ubuntu instal. Give it a try and you will like it

services.msc

Try 15.10