Retro Thread/The Pain Of Modern Technology

>"Web 1.0 is a retronym referring to the first stage of the World Wide Web's evolution. According to Cormode, G. and Krishnamurthy, B. (2008): "content creators were few in Web 1.0 with the vast majority of users simply acting as consumers of content."[10] Personal web pages were common, consisting mainly of static pages hosted on ISP-run web servers, or on free web hosting services such as GeoCities.[11][12] With the advent of Web 2.0, it was more common for the average web user to have social networking profiles on sites such as Myspace and Facebook, as well as personal blogs on one of the new low-cost web hosting services or a dedicated blog host like Blogger or LiveJournal. The content for both were generated dynamically from stored content, allowing for readers to comment directly on pages in a way that was not previously common."

Why did it have to become this, Sup Forums, why? There was a time when using the internet, using MSN messenger and writing fan fiction on FanFiction.net was fun. LiveJournal and Xanga were the places to go. Facebook didn't exist and MySpace was in its infancy.

We had Geocities, Tripod and more. We had WordPerfect 12 and Halo on PC. We had The Sims. We had Netscape and IE 6. The Internet used to be a place that was fun. You chatted with people on AIM. You chatted with people on mIRC and IRC.

Now there's nothing left. It's a joke. We had Photoshop CS and CS2. Things MATTERED back then. DeviantArt was nothing like it is now. Smartphones still hadn't come yet - we had Razr and Nokia.

We had Windows Media Player 10 and WinAMP. WinMX and Limewire. We had tutorials on drawing anime. My Chemical Romance sucked. HTML 4 was still used. Frames, HTML frames - do you remember those? Javascript and bloated Web 2.0 weren't everywhere.

Having a screenname, an alias, meant something.

It didn't have to be this way. You let it happen. All of you. Us. We did this.

Also, retro web/software/hardware/PC tech thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

totallyherby.com/
stovies.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wtf is Web 3?

How fucking young are you

All the games and programs and sites you listed were shit.

I miss the days of having to suck the dicks of the old guard on forums or risk being shunned, flamed, or banned.

Plenty of Web 1.0 style communities still out there. Just need to know where to look.

Kys

>faggot with 10000+ posts says something utterly wrong or stupid
>retort him
>get banned for "flaming"
Yeah, those were the days, huh?

You sound like you're from my generation. You're way too young to be reminiscing about that shit. Unfortunately not young enough to be underage b&.

Early 2000s internet is not retro.

Everything was clunky as fuck. It worked, sure, but it wasn't efficient. You can bitch about web standard making the internet more normie friendly but the real cancer now is YouTube and putting everything into a video when it takes a fraction of the time to read it even if you have a stupid ass reactive website. The internet was better before YouTube cancer truly ruined simple and straightforward text communication of knowledge

>Web 3?
Hype. Pure hype.

Everything OP said reminds me of my early highschool days and I associate those days with what I consider "childhood" -- I have a feeling that when you're younger, your idea of "childhood" is something even younger, like elementary school days. I barely remember anything from that long ago.

I found two websites that fits into this thread quite well.

totallyherby.com/
stovies.com/

>pic
heh, it's like a magazine mail-order page
i suppose if your target audience is old enough to find that more comfortable, why not

totse and goatse
good days

holy fuck, i've had one with exact case (and i still have one)

I don't understand this retarded infatuation with the static web among contrarians on this board, just spend a little while on the wayback machine and see how shitty, limited and poorly designed it was. The modern web comes with its own troubles, but I would take it over the gaudy standards-hell of web 1.0 any day.

Same goes for the "bloat" shit, there has never been a better time to be stuck on old hardware than 2017, where the latest and greatest still runs just fine on any decently configured system from 10 years ago, while your kickass dual Pentium II-300 box you paid a good $6,000 for in 1997 probably wouldn't even be able to boot Vista, let alone run it and any reasonable application stack on top of it.

I wish there was a project to make a modern retro PC like atari/amiga/c64 for demo scenes etc with lots of documentation and competitions

You're getting old.

>According to Cormode, G. and Krishnamurthy, B. (2008): "content creators were few in Web 1.0 with the vast majority of users simply acting as consumers of content."
>[10] Personal web pages were common, consisting mainly of static pages hosted on ISP-run web servers, or on free web hosting services such as GeoCities.
So, this seems both self-contradictory and inconsistent with what I remember.

Before facebook et al, if you wanted a presence on the internet, you had to create it yourself-- basically from scratch. You had to create content simply to participate at a basic level. Centralized social network sites with dynamically-generated profile pages made it possible to bring in billions of people without requiring them to contribute anything.

>trends and stuff changed and I'm confused by this

While I agree with your sentiment, you're a dumb fuck.

what season and episode is this?

>DeviantArt was nothing like it is now.

You mean pure shit turning into shit, right?

this too, the idea that the early web didnt have many "content creators" is laughable

Season 15, episode 7.

Go to the southpark website and watch it, its really good.

Pic related

thanks aniki

what they probably meant was that the ratio of people who actually created new content on the early web to those who consumed it was far more skewed than it is today, which I would be inclined to agree with, for better or worse

But is it really though?

How much actual content are most web users really creating? Are you counting pics posted to facebook as content?

Or is this just some "well people upload vids to youtube that are gbs in size and obviously that is way larger than some 1kb text file"

You really don't see a problem with the massively larger attack vector created by all the additional functionality modern web pages have?

Also, the fact that one instance of a browser consumes more RAM than Operating Systems 20 years ago could even allocate is ridiculous.

there's no such thing as "actual" content, it is or it isn't, by and large users of the internet DO contribute more original material than they did in the 1990s whether you personally like that content or not

Unless you were online before delivery 28/36/56k prior to v90 updates and independent isps you don't know shite

Sounds like you still need to be.

>You really don't see a problem with the massively larger attack vector created by all the additional functionality modern web pages have?
The fuck kind of bullshit cop-out is this? Yes, a complex system is always going to be vulnerable to bugs and human error, such a thing is unavoidable unless you're really lusting for a return to the trashy single-user DOS toys you only like because you had one as a kid.
>Also, the fact that one instance of a browser consumes more RAM than Operating Systems 20 years ago could even allocate is ridiculous.
Because most of those operating systems were primitive pieces of buggy shit, the ones that weren't were far more resource-heavy than you probably think they were.

>Halo
>not Doom
>not Quake
>not Half-life

>IE 6
>not IE 4

Die.

>content creators were few in Web 1.0 with the vast majority of users simply acting as consumers of content.

There was no corporate intermediary datamining users back in the day which is where the real difference lies. Generally whoever created a site would either write it themselves entirely or have a friend do it for them and they had total control of what was on there. If they put it on a free host, they might have a few shitty ads, but that was it.

>Halo, DeviantArt, Limewire
OP is a faggot. These things aren't retro.

You forgot LimeWire and the Bill Clinton sound clip when you download a song.

I miss the old White Shadow nasty stories shit in the mid to late 90s incest, cockroaches in the vag, it was extreme and paired well with a 33.6

>Doom
>Quake
>Half-Life
>not Tennis for Two
fucking pleb

There's always Neocities.