Stock market computers run on Windows

>stock market computers run on Windows

Holy shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/new-york-stock-exchange-runs-trades-on-red-hat-linux/d/d-id/1067867
pcworld.com/article/238068/how_linux_mastered_wall_street.html
computerworld.com/article/2510334/financial-it/how-linux-mastered-wall-street.html
dice.com/jobs?q=linux&l=
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bloomberg Terminal run on linux.

Anyone who does real work uses windows, you CANNOT prove me wrong.

>stock market
>real work

Welp. Time to go unnaground and prepare for the Victorian age again.

Short the market tomorrow, buy gold and silver.

Buy cyber security firms retard (ECSC for example, sub contractor for GCHQ).

>Guaranteed (You)

>tfw no dog

informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/new-york-stock-exchange-runs-trades-on-red-hat-linux/d/d-id/1067867

>New York Stock Exchange Runs Trades On Red Hat Linux

pcworld.com/article/238068/how_linux_mastered_wall_street.html

>How Linux Mastered Wall Street

did you expect them to run meme OSes like arch?

"Linux also offered financial firms the ability to modify the source code to further speed performance, Lameter said. "It depends on how daring the exchange is," Lameter said, noting that NASDAQ uses a modified version of the Gentoo Linux distribution."

computerworld.com/article/2510334/financial-it/how-linux-mastered-wall-street.html

Hahahahahaha

They literally use gentoo

OP blown the fuck out

Lol holy shit I had no idea the NASDAQ runs on Gentoo. Fucking trillions of dollars worth of market cap rely on a meme distro, what a time to be alive.

I mean it's a meme for most people because they don't need all the optimization it can give, but the stock market does

he's dead now, he lived a good life in the country of kentucky when us kids were younger. His joints were getting bad and he was always in pain from that so he was euthanized. I had to carry his old fat-butt down and up the stairs every time he wanted to go out.

Rip Buddy

Press "F" to pay respects

I work in the finance industry, and have done so for years. Most shops use Red Hat, there are a few that use Windows. Also, the shops that use RH all use Windows on the workstation (i.e. Linux is all infrastructure & Windows is on all of the workstations that users use. Pretty bad, but at least easyer to recover)

I know that feel
Doggy heaven

Linux is fucking everywhere in the back end

Daily reminder that dogs are just animals.

daily reminder that humans are just animals.

>linux i everywhere
>except there
>and there
>and also there
>and look this thing also uses windows
>"i swer guyz lenox iz everyvere xdd"

sorry but no (you) for (you)

Is it in your back end?

delet this

>using linux for anything besides LAMP stack
wew lad

>Modified
That's the keyword pal, it means they made it usable

>using linux
Zowie mama

My friend developed the server infrastructure for Smartsheet because no "enterprise" solution was good enough for them and it all runs on Gentoo. That's back end of course. The normies they hire for sales and marketing don't have to deal with it.

Lots of traders use still use Excel

Get a haircut gramps :3

>Excel
>Back end

No one uses linux, it's about 0.1% of basement dwellers that fapp off to chinese cartoons

I didn't really figure that was a conversation worth having, but good luck

at least he doesn't shave his legs and wax his ass

I always knew he was a pleb

>being this proud of being a sissy faggot

I'm new here lads - is Sup Forums always this bad?

weak bait

I was wondering where you were going with that

>Sudden urge to pet doggie.

I work at a company that makes software used by ISPs covering >50% of the internet in this country (and some companies in neighboring countries) and our codebase is full of MS-specific shit, our shit only works with MS SQL Server and we have 0 tests for any of our software. If you read Reddit/HN/Sup Forums enough you come to believe that software development works in a very different way from how it actually does in the real world. Maybe at a startup you can use your Python/Clojure/Haskell memes and have 100% code coverage and code on your Mac OS or FreeBSD or whatever the fuck. But that's not reality for the other 99% of companies who have to maintain legacy garbage they've carried with them for 30 years.

ass lawn is so comfy
but eventually shit attaches to it
kinda like windows

>Linux is fucking everywhere in the back end
My reading comprehension failed me the first time I read the post.

Statistics say otherwise. You might be confused and think this is about desktop Linux. Yes, that's not making any market penetration and isn't gaining. Linux is widely used for servers because companies can build it for specific purpose for whatever needs to be done without insane licensing fees. Windows of course is still big in the market but products utilizing custom Linux are huge now. Hell, even BSD is used in enterprise.

in your butt desu user

Yes

Microsoft just wants the license fee so soon enough you will be able to do this in Linux if you have hardware your company won't update but keeps pushing resource usage

Linux is common in the companies you actually hear about (Google, Amazon, etc.) and they get a huge market share in the server space purely because of those companies. But in smaller companies in the rest of the world people want something with OOTB support and a company that they can call for help, and they choose Windows. I would guess that if you look at the number of server computers, there are more Linux boxes simply because the companies that do use them are massive. If you look at the number of companies using the different OS, Windows wins.

what do you mean bad?

You're an idiot.

Finally we can colonise again.

Hardware and software vendors give that support for linux. Your argument is invalid.

>what do you mean bad?
What did he mean by this?

*Press Alt+F4*

Sure, I can see that. However it really is case by case at that point. There are various OOTB solutions with support for Linux but they're typically just specialized like QNAP and Synology for storage. Most commonly what I've been deploying lately is windows server for desktop management and Linux for web hosting and storage. They work fine together.

My argument is based on 20 years of experience and not once having yet to see a company in this country use Linux.

I mean think about it, how many Pajeet shops do you think use Linux? The reality is most of the world's software companies are closer to India than they are to Silicon Valley/Seattle.

Figures some terminals run Windows? Could be your terminal. Or some ass backwards US investment bank's terminal.

NYSE and so on run "the" stock market on Linux, though.

that's because internet really picked up just recently which allows easier unix like oses distribution and adoption
before that you HAD to use windows

(((You)))

This doesn't match reality. Companies buy hardware and software at the same time and turnkey solutions are getting vastly more popular. So while Linux is getting more widely adopted it has nothing to do with Internet usage being common

F

oh but it does. your companies are pavlov's dogs and have belief in the professional look of windows and as you said they buy it on the go which is what i said.
and im sure if someone tries to show them non windows solution to which they are not accustomed they would ignore and/or just plain underestimate it, not on a technical basis but viewpoint only

Nonsense - execs don't give a crap what server screens look like.

I do.

Are we no longer talking back end? For desktop sure windows is king. For back end Linux is huge now thanks to OOTB, support for such systems, and turnkey solutions all now existing when they were either rare or shit a decade ago. Hell even Linux like is huge. I'm sure you've heard of a little company called VMware

That's definitely some type of Unix running beneath some type of Windows emulation.

"emulation" might not be the right word. maybe some type of app server or something.

>My argument is based on 20 years of experience and not once having yet to see a company in this country use Linux.
That's funny, but how does it relate to your original argument about the support? Zero. That's it.

Wasn't Tyrell CTO? I was literally about to reply saying only the CTO would care. Unfortunately that's a bit of a crap shoot. Some know what they're doing and can determine what's best for the company and others get by on buzzwords and regurgitated sales pitches.

I work in a major international bank.
-All our production servers are running RHEL
-Everything we currently develop is compiled with gcc 6.3 -O3 and some static flags
-Desktops are running Windows 7

>most normies with jobs are also retarded tech illiterates
really makes you think

Our alternator/starter testing runs (or doesnt) on some form of windows.

i depends. my first 3 jobs i rarely used windows. my currently job is 50/50 windows/linux. and i only need windows because i'm forced to use it. i don't need it to do my job.

Every single doctor and scientist I've met are computer retarded outside of running whatever specific software they use if they even use any. I never understood the perception that being better at computers makes you superior.

dice.com/jobs?q=linux&l=

Accept your defeat and apply if you can.

isn't pcman md or something

Pcman?

>he says this on a technology circle-jerk board
how about you uhhhhh hang yourself

F

It's just an OS

lol

>from 2005
>1200x1600 resolution

>Every single doctor and scientist I've met