/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Papists:
youtube.com/watch?v=WrMUFP8Fx1w

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=306C1Uh6fYM&t=29m40s
youtube.com/watch?v=kAA3OaiP_x8&spfreload=10
imgur.com/a/6CNO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Phirst for collections

1940s world timer clock spotted in a thrift store yesterday.

I wonder how many of those places changed timezones since then.

>works
pretty damn cool. for $50 i'd say you should have gotten it, but $120 is a bit steep. i'd love to see the movement.

Are there any manual wind or automatic watches with digital displays only?

Wheres the black one? fucking racist

>tfw Raketa was top-tier in watch design

is there anything wrong with the sarb033? I'm a student and want a nice watch till i can afford a rolex.

A Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk. Although the seconds display and power reserve aren't digital, the hours and minutes are.

The FP Journe Vagabondage III has digital seconds, but the minutes are analog.

this looks hard to read at a glance.

It's a great all-rounder, more on the dressy side than casual. Well made, good finishing, good movement.

Deiwtt mathematical

Thoughts?

Disregarding the Lange Zeitwerk, I believe the cheapest non-chinkcrap digital display watch in say, the past decade was an orient.
It's long gone now, but it was cheap and had a dependable orient movement.

>how to fuck your watch design up in one simple step

makes me want to puke a little

You can look on ebay for some "jump hour" watches.

Technically not manual or automatic, but the ESA 9159 was an electronic movement with a balance wheel and jumping hours and minutes.

Would love more info on this if you have it.

>WUS have regular watch building thread
Why can't we have those here?

Anybody know of watches featuring an 8-hour clock face? Alternatively, although might be ugly as sin, 12-or 24-hour face divided into 3 sections via edges, that is, triangular symmetry?

like making custom watches? some delusional idiots attempted it once or twice, but we're a very small community, mostly poor, and wouldn't ever be able to come to a consensus. That, and all those custom watches end up sucking ass, because design by committee doesn't work.

This. What fucking morons.

Never seen that.
You could make a custom dial and mod an existing watch.

Some of us mod Amphibias, the rest are not worth modding.

Well only one watch sadly and its the SKX case as its base. You can get any part for that watch.

Search Orient Jump Hour. I forget the exact reference. They made a few of them over the years and since I've not seen one for a while I think they've been discontinued. Seriously Orient is fucking retarded; ever since they were bought out fully by seiko it's been a never ending reshuffle of shitty designs. I think even their highest line, Royal Orient, is gone too. They peaked in design with their orient stars about 7 years ago.

Anyway, this jump hour doesn't exactly look like the zeitwerk or that gruen posted above; it has digits instead of hands, but it's not an old timey flip board type clock radio style.

do you mean modding then? yeah several people here have done it

looks pretty cool but readability isn't the best

looks thick

Once on the subway as a wee lad I'd seen a 12-hour rounded triangular face on a triangular body, ugly as sin, didn't catch brand.
Anyways googling doesn't bring up anything relevant.
Modding a clock face would be simpler figuring out how the mechanics to an single arrow spinning trice daily.

Fug /wt/ still can't decide. Rolex forum isn't very useful telling me to buy both...

Go to a Rolex store and try them on.

Either the grey one or get a blue datejust. Or get an explorer 1

I did and though various lighting condition both look fucking great. I thought the blue one would pop more but they are similar.

So not original then.

If I were you (then you'd be me! lel suck shit faggot have fun with my loser existence lmao) I would get the blue.

Why: the grey, imo doesn't provide enough legibility. Sure the indices and hands are polished etc., but it's such a dull color that's just another shade of the silver, really. It's not black, so the silver colored hands don't really pop, but it's not like the blue or even the grape either. A true null. The blue is vibrant and interesting. The grey is boring and sucks old penis in backalleys. But hey, it's your money. You have the option of just saving onwards and getting something better that you may want in a few months.

>tfw falling for the Rolex meme
I need that 36mm Ex1.
youtube.com/watch?v=306C1Uh6fYM&t=29m40s

Blue is a classic dial colour and my bet is that it will age better than the grey one

>youtube.com/watch?v=306C1Uh6fYM&t=29m40s
Best Archie vid in a while.
The last 8 minutes are comedy gold.

The lime green dots ruin it though.

I'd like to add that grey makes the watch too uniform. Breaking the steel with blue looks better at least to my eyes.

they dont

Is this guy actually insane?

well they aren't that pretty I will give you that

Kek. Gotta love archie

He's /ourguy/.

Why did my movements date ring have another date ring glued on top ...

huh

Wasn't it only "glued" on with paint? Might have been stuck in factory date ring painting machine

thanks to you i just trolled ebay for an hour looking for shitty Russian dress watches for no reason...

Journe vagabondage 3. The only mechanical watch with a digital second that I know.

youtube.com/watch?v=kAA3OaiP_x8&spfreload=10

Anyone ever go on /r/watches just to laugh at them? 80% of them are wristlets and their watches never fit, the other 20% only post shitters

It's always fun when someone snipes me on ebay with a way too high bid, and then I find the fucker with his new shitter on r/watches 2 weeks later.

>here is my watch guys
>writes two paragraphs about inane shit

Neither, grape dial is best.

Different font by the looks of it.

looks like something a mcdonald's manager would wear

What movement? Looks like they slapped it on to have a larger font.

Really crappy manufacturing imo.

/wt/, I broke up with my girlfriend because she finally got fed up with my right-wing views, slicked back hairstyle and materialism. She even fucking admitted between the lines that she prefers bearded, slightly overweight nu-males.

Fuck that dumb bitch, going to miss her body though. I will finally get a Rolex now. I don't really know much about the vintage market, can you get a Datejust for under 2,5k€?

Yes, but they will be quite beaten up. You're better off saving up for something nicer.

It was a fake rolex that someone gave to me to play with because i was a "watch guy"

So yeah shit tier manufacturing

Is this watch too big for me?

Yes sir

Fuck. Thanks. There's no excuse to not
buy that 5 series Seiko field watch (37mm) now. I hope I can get some cash for this watch.

its fine.

Ignore this moron >

If there's lug overhang, which it looks like there is, then yes.

Is there a standard size watch battery I should be stocking ?

It looks ridiculous are you blind

a little too big, watch's size?

You might be thinking of the Hamilton Ventura

40mm Timex expedition. They only recently released a 38mm version, though.

who /savingup/

Both look shitty.

>getting a rolex that "pops"

I am, but it's going to be a long wait. Hoping for a deployment to speed it up.

>sbga011

Deprecated :^)

perfect fucking description

PROTIP: auctions.yahoo.co.jp + some intermediary...

Seconded, very accurate.

Who else here is learning how to service as a hobby? I have been practcing taking apart and putting together again shit movements and I might order a 6R15 or a 7S26 or an ETA or some sort and learn how to service some actually common things.

Shitposting hard for (you)

No. Of the smart watches you picked the worst.

much better

>She even fucking admitted between the lines that she prefers bearded, slightly overweight nu-males.

>I will finally get a Rolex now. I don't really know much about the vintage market, can you get a Datejust for under 2,5k€?

Send her along, I've already got the DJ :^)

I feel you

Shouldn't you be able to get a 16200 or 16230 in decent shape for that much?

Do you happen to know if there are any no date rolexes with a 3135 & acrylic crystal? Unless the 3135 was specifically the date version of the movement or something.

Hey Toronto user, do you think Shane would do a decent job repairing some of the polishing damage on my megasonic? I saw on his page that he doesn't do tuning forks but figure a polish might be another story.

Domed crystals best crystals.

Do you have any swatches? I recently moved in the butt-fuck nowhere and need to test if the post office can find their way to my house. Been thinking to buy something cheap off e-bay as a test run. And then I realized I don't have any swatches

Unless you're Zuul The Conqueror, I'd say go for something that doesn't look like it's made from the transmuted bones of innocents

Is the Forevus a good company?

Their watches look good + has good pricing

>tfw prices will go up once you have enough saved up

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

Short term, might look at a Snowflake or an sbga003 depending on how I feel at the time, but, I have never been more in love with a material object than pic related.

Hopefully it'll go down $20k in a few decades, but I'll still buy it if it doesn't. I hadn't understood the grail meme before I saw this

Just don't buy a mechanical.
You can get some p.funky quartz fashion watches but they are not a high quality watchmaker. Super ruthless though, so there's that.

I am there senpai, just trying to decide on color...

I don't have a pink shirt or am I a faggot, so I will probably go blue.