He's learning C

>He's learning C
>Not learning Python instead
Don't tell me any of you are actually doing this, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/rust.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm learning Lua actually. I heard it's easier than even Python.

>He's learning Python
>Not learning JS instead
Don't tell me any of you are actually doing this, right?

I am actually learning Clojure.

>Not learning JS instead
I just finished spending a couple of months learning JS and AngularJS and created some interactive sites and hybrid-apps with it. Python is my next project language.

1. it takes nothing to learn python, a retarded monkey could learn it within a few days
2. if it's the first language you are learning, python is the worst choice you could make

Somebody's mad that they wasted all their time learning a fossil language instead of a simple and extremely useful langauge.

I already know C since i was 14. Right now i'm learning agda

You've spent a few years sucking your dad's nutsack you fucking faggot.

I'm learning javascript right now.
What should I learn afterwards?
I was thinking about PHP or Ruby or Python.

C fags are so defensive about their language. Why do they hate simpler, newer, and significantly more useful languages? Jealousy dare I say?

it's not but it's not bad. i'm learning both. no reason to use lua outside muh vidya gaems though

javascript is not a language

learn PHP for webdev and python because it's really fucking easy

i know both, i have a job developing in C and _had_ to learn python because of another job where all fucking scripts were written in python. took me a fucking day.

C is outdated.

You can't do webdev without javascript, dumbass.

>PHP
Absolutely worthless. Worse than JavaScript. Nobody hires PHP, it's fucking packed with too many security holes to ever fill, and it doesn't do anything you can't do better with literally any other scripting language on earth.

Do not go anywhere near PHP. Not ever. Trust me.

Python is cool though.

didn't you say you couldn't, i just said it's not a language. neither is html or css.

that's why it's webdev and not real dev.

and still every important piece of software is written in C because no other language is even comparable in terms of performance

PHP is being used less and less, but Ruby and Python are being used more often. You cannot go wrong with either language. Do Ruby first if you're a weeb (was made in Japan) but either or are good.

For fizzbuzz-tier stuff yes. For anything that has to be verified, it's the only viable option. Even ada is getting rekt by C

arigatou senpai, then I will go with Ruby first.

Learned python on the job

Now learning C

>Ruby and Python
Python yeah but ruby really? It saw a bump with startups using rails but those guys have all switched to node or whatever the new hot meme framework is today. I'd have guessed Ruby was pretty much on it's way out too, tbhfam.

I am. Python didn't feel like I was making any progress. With C, it's certainly harder to do anything, but after tweaking around with everything and then googling like a madman or asking on /dpt/, I actually learn. I'm forced to think, take notes, actually make diagrams and flow charts, understand exactly how things work. It's a depth I didn't experience with Python. The solution to everything in python was to just figure out which library to import and let it do everything.

It takes more work but when I solve something I truly feel I have an understanding of exactly how my solution works and why. C feels more rewarding and I also hate how Python enforces use of white space. Also python feels bloated with all the different shit, I've always been more of a minimalist.

If I want to actually do something, sure I'll use Python. But for learning, I definitely prefer C. Of course I'll probably have a different opinion when I move on to more complex projects

>He's not learning Visual Basic

I gotcha. If you wanna really do useful stuff with Python try using numpy and pandas. Lets you work with data and excel files and manipulate it and create new graphs and tables with it.

Assuming WebDev.

>PHP
Brain dead easy to learn, and I've heard 7.0 fixed some of those obvious problems with the language, but most jobs are going to be for 5.3 and earlier.

>Python
It's probably the best language in your bunch to learn if you want to have some kind of job outside WebDev. Hella slow and it's not often that you'll find companies using a python backend, but it's the cheap Swiss army knife of programming languages. You'll find a use for it anywhere.

>Ruby
Kinda like Python, but a little more used. You're second best bet if you want to work for a start-up.

>Java
If you want a relatively secure job at a megacorp, since it's probably the most used language for companies of that size.

>Node.js(More JS)
Honestly, unless you really want Websockets and work for a trendy startup, Node's a bitch to learn despite being technically JS, since everything's changing and everyone and xer "Code Ninja Artisan" friends comes out with a stupid package that picks up some traction only to crash and burn six months down the line. I've been practicing with it for about a month now, and it's all just runaround busywork that no one should ever do and absurd things that just werked in other frameworks (like SOAP requests for instance, as fucking old as they are.) just shit themselves or have some obscure backasswards solution that would have taken ten minutes tops in any of the above languages.

As an absolute beginner, what makes python such a bad language to learn first, and what would be better learned instead?

>Knowing Python but not knowing C
How are you supposed to write native extensions for Python without knowing both languages, OP?

>Not learning C++ and Qt
Or as I've recently begun calling it, C plus plus cute.

>agda
What for?

>learning C
U already know C though. I actually consider myself to be quite competent in it.

>Nobody hires PHP
>php still is one of the top 5 popular languages
Everyone hires PHP. The question why someone would like to work with that language.

Drink bleach.

If you have to "learn" a programming language you are doing it wrong

>U
I*

>JavaScript not a language
It is one thing for someone to say that SQL isn't a programming language and another that JS isn't one. The first is stupid mindset born in web development. The second is plain idiocy.

>He's learning C
>He's

But I'm a girl, user :3

There's no excuse for not knowing both

no u

By using PyPy instead of CPython.

I bet you are very bad at coding

that kind of "coder" that would easily make facebook clone in one week

i'm learning ruby lo l

I started learning programming on my own using basic in dos, and eventually bought "Learn C++ in 21 Days"

It's hard for me to imagine learning a high level scripting language as a first language.

Never did C/C++ professionally (started work using Java), but learning all the low level concepts is really quite valuable in the long term.

Stack vs heap, value vs reference, dealing with pointers and restrictive types...

I never really learned python and don't miss it, yet whenever I need to use it for something I can do so pretty easily. I have used ruby, php, and js quite a bit though.

I guess a lot of people learn python first so I won't knock it til I try it.

You can know more than one language cux

I did this during uni, I was using C, my friends Java, I was using asm, my friends js.

Now they are working at fb coding js for 100k while I am khv basement looser.

my brain isn't big enough

Do you know embedded systems?

freal

"C is dead" is a meme

It'll be around far longer than any of these generic, fragmented, bloated scripting languages

>write ransomware in python
>it's stopped before the first victim's harddrive finishes encrypting

please use xe instead of he, don't assume other's genders, you fascist

No one cares faggot.

I care. Hey user are you hot and looking for sex?

Isn't Rust comparable in terms of performance?

C wins in most benchmarks and by a large margin in the ones that matter. What's more if you're in an industry that uses C or C++ you won't be replacing it.

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/rust.html

I never come to this board but I just thought about a question and this was the best thread to ask it seems.

I know jack shit about websites and the amount of stuff can be stored in one place. I have heard about you needing server space for large amounts of data, so how is it a website like Sadpanda which has almost half a million doujins afford that much space when it has no advertisements?

currently learning rust, go, kotlin, elixir.
Come at me, mate.

That's a lot of data? Let's say the average doujin has 20 panels and each panel is 1 MB. That's 10 TB. I can make a RAID 1 of 10 TB for less than $500. How is that expensive? There's more cost in the bandwidth to serve thousands of horny teens at the same time and to a lesser extent the RAM to run whatever bloated shit insecure software the site owner implemented.

>comparing a domain specific language with a priority on speed with as little ease of use compromises as possible to a general language with a priority on ease of use with zero concern for speed

>javascript is not a language
>learn PHP for webdev and python because it's really fucking easy
How do you convince yourself of this?
Python is significantly better for webdev. JS is more common for webdev. PHP is slower than both, shittier than both, and is less of a language than JS will ever be. Use a real language once, and you'll realize PHP is just a glorified template engine.

I know shit about websites. Seemed like a lot to me. I was just curious I would have thought it would be more. Thanks for the info.

The more you know.

>Not learning English
Most important language unless you want to be a code monkey forever

C? You mean the language of the khv? Uhhh no thanks, I'm a well adjusted individual that uses JS and Ruby.

Can I write a kernel in Python?

I was a complete failure at Java, but I've learnt significantly better with Python. The only downside I notice about the language is that it's very slow. I doubt Python will ever come close to a complied language in terms of execution speed.

assembly desu

Only one way to find out.

cpp and python here
planning on llearning fortran too for the lulz

Except that I browse Sadpanda for non-H tragedy doujins and twisted endings like Zounose and Chemical Janky

Mah nigga :3

Out of interest. Also, next semester i'll have formal verification so to get a little idea of what to expect. Already played with some proof assistants

I am using C++, Qt and gonna learn System Verilog + VHDL. Should I switch to Python or am I already edgy enough?

Are there any good resources to learn lua or are you just being a boss? I've been playing wow for 10 years and it never even occurred to me.

>
Python isn't a language.

What, instead of C++ and QT? That doesn't even usually work.

(Obviously Python doesn't work for shit as Verilog or VHDL replacement.)

You can use Python for whatever quick hacks that will never have to run particularly fast or need a GUI (honestly, QT is nicer from C++...)

I learned LUA after Python. LUA is pretty easy, but you miss out on the Python packages. I sometimes have to use Python as glue between applications. When I try something similar with LUA, I end up having to start from scratch since the community is pretty shit.

Pypy nigga.

>Anime
Hi!
Go to hell.