So, Sup Forums, how many words do you know?

So, Sup Forums, how many words do you know?

testyourvocab.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

testyourvocab.com/result?user=6654847
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

24 700
not bad

17,600 with the median for 18 year olds being 22,000

>you will never be an eloquent American

bullshit frog. I'm an Englishman and got 23,800.
I'm guessing it's skewed because you know all the strange french words on that test.

me speakings good england

19 300
Guess I missed a few, I took it very quickly. Not that bad though

Wow, you are good, I got 7,000 words.

I'm well-read in French but there are more basic English words I ignore, so... I know terpsichorean or oneiromancy, but not slough or shaggy.

Some of those are really bizarre, almost never used in common vernacular.

Oh fuck off, that cant be
I should really read more

>terpsichorean
>tatterdemalion
>williwaw
>funambulist
>braggadocio

This test is a ruse, these aren't real words

The truly obscure words are mostly a lottery though if you're not a native. A few are just anglicized latin (eg. uxoricide) and can be guessed even if you don't speak a word of english.

>14900
Not bad, I expected worse.

If I saw anybody using them I'd immediately write them off as being a pretentious pseudo-intellectual.

>not knowing Terpsichore
Do they not torture you with Greek mythology in Finnish schools?

Here for example, I don't know what the heck are fuddle, puckish, trollop or sedulous (never seen these words in my life)... but I'm okay with leitmotiv, epigone, fuliginous, valetudinarian, who all have their twin in literary French.

lol

I'm ok with this

Some of the words are quite... strange. Arcane, archaic. Certainly not used except by the top psueds.

My problem is I know a lot of fancy words, yet do not know how to use them.
Welcome to what brit said. Just words fuckers know so john down the street feels like a total retard.You only need to know almost 20000 to be fluent in English.

I misspelt"pseuds" what a fucking irony

Who gives a shit. This is not English composition.
In fact, we should simplify the fucking language anyway.

You should be able to guess what "terpsichorean" means if you're not an uncultured swine

You know, if words aren't used by the majority of the people who speak the language, I don't think they can rightly be said to be part of the language outside of specified context.

>28,400
a lot of french words for an english vocab test tbf

A trollop is like a whore, right?

Also despite you saying those words all twin in French, the only one commonly used in English is leitmotiv as far as I know

>tfw used to be really smart
>tfw brain damage from car accident
>this
:(

>i dont know it so it doesnt count lalalala

Languages are not democracies.

There are people are who are cultured swine with PhDs in english working at McDonalds and there are people who are billionaires that never even went to college or know words like these.
I only know fancy biology terms, since I am in the field and I speak another language. I am already cultured since most Americans except foreigners, speak English.

lol

It's pretty much British slang for an ugly woman (like munter or minger), I'm not sure why it was even included.

So what's the retard cutoff

actually they are, or else you we would still call French latin

It is okay. At least you are not retarded.
Let me take a guess, and say you are still fluent in English?

If everyone owned a car this kind of stuff wouldn't happen.

>Such an animal as the self-observing valetudinarian I know there is; I have met him myself occasionally, and I know that he is the worst imaginable heautontimoroumenos; aggravating and sustaining, by calling into distinct consciousness, every symptom that would else perhaps, under a different direction given to the thoughts, become evanescent.

Understood 100% of this desu, based De Quincey

>tfw
At least I found out I couldn't remember any of them by name, apart from Calliope. S-she's the cutest one anyway!

sik

I feel it's quite likely this user might just have ticked every box~~

that is the only way to get 45k btw so it's more than likely, it's a certainty

Suka blyat'

oh well, expected better honestly

I guess I don't speak English after all

>Dolphin Browser

Pizda)))))

I got 32,700. The test seems pretty skewed towards archaic literary words so it definitely would help to read a lot of older literary fiction.

I'd avoid sitting next to you on the bus, even if the alternative was a fat person.

why?

Le only browser that works enough well on my shity """""""""""smartphone""""""""""

But you wouldn't know until he began whispering. By then your social anxiety would keep you glued to your seat. Care for a free lesson?

28.5 K, bretty gud

I should go back to school probably

bredi gud nice speakings to got over there

I know that word from hunter x hunte. btw, hisoka rules

he dead tho lol

Of those I only know braggadocio, mostly because it's used as an adjective quite often (braggadocious)

testyourvocab.com/result?user=6654847

not too bad.. but not too good either

>24,600

I'm happy with this result.

no, it's bad

17600 also wtf?