Streve Jobs on Touch Screen PCs

>Touchscreen PC's are pieces of trash.

The madman was right all along.

youtube.com/watch?v=9TcJ45Y2z30

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=74kPEJWpCD4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And he was right, just look at the Surface Laptop.

He's not wrong. If you design a platform for a keyboard and mouse, and everything that's ever made for it assumes you're going to be using some kind of keyboard and mouse, and then, one day, you decide, no, you're going to use a touch interface instead, the outcome is going to be absolute garbage.

This fact does not invalidate the iPad. iOS was designed from the ground up as a touch-first operating system, and as such, it dodges practically all of the foibles that beset all efforts at touchscreen support on Windows pre-10.

Source: I'm typing this on a 12.9" iPad Pro, which is god damn fantastic.

Look at this piece of shit. This dumb bitch in the video is literally scrubbing a tiny YouTube bar.

Microshit is a failure.

youtube.com/watch?v=74kPEJWpCD4

That gorilla arm tho.

If you take a look at the design of the iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard, you'll notice that it shifts the display forward to the very edge of the keys. This is intentional, and places the display as close to the user's default hand placement as possible. It also moves the center of mass toward the physical center of the deployed keyboard. It's actually been thought through a lot more than people have given it credit for. I'm using one right now.

Win10 is pretty good about switching between keyboard and touch.

trying to segment the market with laptops and tablets will only last for a couple more years. Many ultra books now do a decent job, to some extent, in tablet mode. and others like the surface book/pro even more so.

You had an argument in the win8 days, back when MS shat the bed, but not so much today.

Honestly, I'll admit that Win10 is relatively impressive in that department. It took them forever, but they're finally working out how to support both touch and K+M.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them. However, Win10 is an absolute shitshow in other ways -- for instance, effectively having to pay Microsoft extra to opt *out* of the public beta program. Then, you get horseshit like what HP did with the Spectre, where the charger is USB-C, but they built in hardware checks for their own proprietary power adapter anyway. You get shit like that just about every time you involve an OEM, which is -- objectively speaking -- what sets Apple apart as a manufacturer.

Well yeah, Apple isn't a retarded company like Microshit. They actually have good reasons for most of their decisions.

Like it doesn't fucking make sense to touch the screen of a laptop and make the screen super greasy. Not to mention 99% of whatever application is not there will not support "touch".

This shit has been tried before and it's failed multiple times just like 3D Movies.

I wouldn't count them out. There's a compelling case to be made for touch. Have you seen how popular the iPad's been? Yes, sales are down, but that's largely because iPads last for-fucking-*ever*. I still see people toting around iPad 2's, for fuck's sake. I see them being used by 4-year-olds and 94-year-olds. You don't even have to be able to read to use one of these things. It's frankly amazing, in terms of usability.

yeah, that's why you put a fuckin' wacom in it and call it a day. using your finger on a laptop screen is retarded

i hate everything about every aspect of every apple product. but he's right

There is another point against it.

If you think about it, usually you control a device one way. You don't use a mouse and a trackpad both. Once you plug the mouse in it makes the trackpad redundant. You pick one method that you prefer and you stick with it.

A laptop and its interface were designed for keyboard and trackpad/mouse control. So that's the best way to use them. If you want to just touch? Touch is a vastly different form of control. You are better off with a different device altogether with just touch, so get an iPad to begin with, it has an OS designed for that and there's no keyboard unless you buy it as an accessory.

It's not elegant design to have touch screen laptops with buttons and trackpad as well. It's just redundancy, like having a car with both manual and auto controls. Just get a manual or auto... you don't need both.

MS knows nothing about design however so it doesn't surprise me that they think a "do it all" OS is a good idea.

There are people who get paid to do research about touch screens on devices. It's literally science.

Microshit keeps making them and it's a joke.

trackpads are cancer and touchscreens are way better, And I don't want to carry a mouse around with me.

I bet he was implying "Mac is not a PC". He gave a green light to an iPad.

ITT: People who have never used s touchscreen laptop for longer than 30 seconds.

>The madman was right all along.
he was an asshole but he was the best at imagine being at computers.

How do you like wiping off the grease off your screen twice a day?

Bill Gates was a piece of shit too.

But he lacked the taste that Steve had.

pleb detected

Apple's been fucking up a lot, but I'm glad they still haven't made touch screen laptops yet.

It's not like Apple's implementation of USBC is bulletproof either. If you plug a Nintendo Switch into the Macbook Pro with the intention of charging it, the Switch charges the Macbook instead,

Yeah, that's pretty weird. But MTP was specifically for transferring files, and, in my experience, it was positively lousy at that. It's literally called Media Transfer Protocol, and I was having trouble getting transfers of media to complete without an unmount happening somewhere in the middle. And it's shit on Windows despite Microsoft being in control of the standard. It's hardly even supported on MacOS, if it still is at all.

At least Bill Gates wife didn't get blacked.

Meanwhile, Steve Jobs wife immediately got blacked after Steve passed away.

So Gates had better taste in women.

MTP is such a fucking piece of shit. A lot of people like to shit on iTunes for iOS devices, but MTP is so much worse.
It takes a couple of minutes to transfer 1000+ songs onto an iPod, but it takes Windows MTP a couple of hours. This is the reason why I still buy phones with microSD card slots.

surface studio looks like the only time touchscreen pc doesn't suck dicks

wish i could have it without the pissweak hardware and hook it up to a decent workstation instead

gates isnĀ“t dead yet so you gotta wait a bit longer for his wife to be blacked

It's funny: thanks to Google's flip-flopping on SD implementation and characteristic lackadaisical enforcement of the adoptable storage standard, your specific use case is about the only use case for which SD cards are consistently viable.

Fuck, that made me so mad. Google finally got SD cards right, and Samsung and LG both refused to implement the feature by default because they thought they knew better.

he was, and now Tim 'FuckTheButt' Cook is running the place into the ground

>design fiascos
>trash can mac pro
>ipad pro
>touch bar
etc etc

>surface studio looks like the only time touchscreen pc doesn't suck dicks
the whole point of those things is that you can pull the screen down and make it a vertical surface. but yea it's still a PC. i doubt the interface will be as comfortable to use as an actual tablet interface.

it does make sense for drafting, CGI etc where a lot of the work happens through some pen-to-screen interface, i suppose. certainly looks cool

nope

pretty much.

any laptop with a touch screen is just a gimmick, but I would't be surprised if the 2017 macbook line up has touch screen enabled.

everyone does that, if anything we need more lenient policies toward copyright and patents imo. everyone should calm their shit including and especially apple. it's good for the end user, in fact it's actively hurting the user if shit like multitouch trackpad tech is restricted to apple alone. i think the more fundamental stuff like new device concepts (tablets, touchscreen phones) and input tech (multitouch trackpad / touchscreen) should have short lived patents. and i dont think there's anything wrong with buying up new concepts or technology, ofc you should pay for it if you dont that's rotten

what makes a good device is combining the right features and polishing the ever living fuck out of it to the point where it's the best compilation of features you could have. that's what (traditionally) made some apple products so great to use and encouraged such a hysterical following. today, not so much with all the shit apple has pulled recently.

It won't.

>design fiascos
I assume you're going to bring up the Apple Pencil (which you can charge from a standard Lightning cable about as easily as you can charge from the iPad) or the Lightning Magic Mouse (which, despite being unusable while charging, can recharge completely over the course of a pee break or a lunch run). Neither of those designs are particularly problematic in practice. I'm pretty sure you're just regurgitating shit you read on Sup Forums.

>trashcan mac pro

That one, I'll give you. Shit, even *Apple* will give you that one. For what it's worth, it sounds like they've learned their lesson from it, and won't be repeating it.

>ipad pro

The iPad Pro is fucking awesome, I don't know what you're getting at with this one. The Apple Pencil is best-in-class for mobile digitizer input, the display on the 9.7" version is considered to be just about the best display panel ever made widely available, and they're faster than the MacBook Air, meaning they've got plenty of kick for a tablet.

>touch bar

It's not for everyone, but it has its uses. Spend some time with it, you might like it.

What about their laptops with a hole in the back so light gets through to the image making you see a slight hint of an apple logo while using the device?

I see MacBooks -- both the 2016 and 2015 varieties, with Touch Bar, without Touch Bar, 15", 13", you name it -- every single day, and I have never observed this phenomenon in person. Please elaborate.

>I'm pretty sure you're just regurgitating shit you read on Sup Forums.
user pls every tech outlet and disgruntled end user has been shitting on apple in unison for the past couple of years now and i was first among them. i'm the last guy that would regurgitate shit from Sup Forums i'm well aware most people here are militant freetards with a warped perception of reality. what i say i genuinely believe.

>The iPad Pro is fucking awesome, I don't know what you're getting at with this one. The Apple Pencil is best-in-class for mobile digitizer input, the display on the 9.7" version is considered to be just about the best display panel ever made widely available, and they're faster than the MacBook Air, meaning they've got plenty of kick for a tablet.
all of that can't change the fact it's worth fuck all in a productive environment, which it was (they say themselves) inteded for .. because you cannot run most industry standard productive software on it. CGI, digital arts, drafting etc are the one case where it makes sense to have a desktop OS projected on a tablet screen because it quickly allows you to switch between a mouse based / pen based workflow. that's why there's a significant market for just that, targeted at digital artists

>That one, I'll give you. Shit, even *Apple* will give you that one. For what it's worth, it sounds like they've learned their lesson from it, and won't be repeating it.
by just letting the mac pro line go quietly into the abyss? wouldnt you agree that's symptomatic of their change of focus from CG artists / high end, high quality upper price segment end users to watered down consumer garbage

Clearly, you haven't been keeping up with the news. A few weeks ago, Apple publicly apologized for the trash can Mac Pro, detailed everything they know did wrong with the design, and said they were working on a new design for 2018 that should address everyone's concerns.

>this shill thread

ah, my bad.

i still think they've lost touch, big picture.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and I can see how it would look like that, but I think they're finding their feet. The missteps are getting less bad, they're starting to hit a good cadence. I think they'll be alright, they're just having a rough couple of years.

That literally doesn't happen.

The jewel on the back is behind the screen polarizer. The only way light goes through os if you shine a flashlight intentionally through the jewel. For everything else the polarizer blocks the light.

And that doesnt even happen anymore noe that the Macbooks are solid Aluminum.

>i doubt the interface will be as comfortable to use as an actual tablet interface.
not for touch-only use like a tablet but fuck that, it's still a desktop computer

dropping it down to that drafting table mode and whipping out the pen looks magical, especially if shit like CAD software gets along with it so you could hand-sketch your idea before cleaning things up and tweaking dimensions and such

They are bullshit merchants.

I own a Surface 2 (Complete with splitting cloth keyboard) and the only thing that the touch screen is good for it unlocking the thing with a pin.

But cars DO have manual controls in auto.

>shit battery life
because they don't give you trash performance for 30 more minutes of battery life
>trackpad
see pic.
That person either had a fucked up trackpad or is blinded by hate
plus the 2015+ macbooks solve that issue
>survivability
this aint a toughbook
it's designed to be thin and light, yet feel nice in the hand.
>throttling
only an issue on certain models with dedicated gpus (2011 15/17", 2012 retina 15", 2015 15")
and thats mostly under high cpu and gpu load.
I have the same throttling issues with my thinkpads have
>warrantly
again it's a consumer laptop, and it's not like chinknovo is that much better
>battery
all li-po batteries have these issues.
it's just more noticeable with Apple products since pretty much all of them use li-po batteries.
>cables
yeah they're pretty shitty, but most of that comes down to people abusing their cables.
and I see the same amount of fucked up micro usb cables as lightning cables.

Then how does this nigga explain the Touch Bar? Why did he invent the Touch Bar?! Ergonomics my ass!

just fucking hang yourself you worthless shill

Pathetic.

It doesn't bleed through light.

He's been dead for 6 years, dumbass