/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (R5 1500X will keep above 60fps in most game. No i5 unless discounted
>R5 1600 is the best value for higher fps gaming and mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k is bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use, R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050 for ~$105. Must drop settings for 60hz if not Freesync/Gsync on many games. RX 560 if discounted.
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, have to drop a few settings
>1060 - outperformed slightly by RX 580; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@120-160+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon.

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS on a retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX is often cheaper as the board+case is usually less
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is generally wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/
hardforum.com/threads/ssd-makes-sound-when-thinking-just-me.1513602/
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100008044 600010479 600010482 600010483
ple.com.au/Products/627323/Galax-GeForce-GTX1080Ti-Founders-Edition-11GB-GDDR5X
ple.com.au/Products/627356/ASUS-GeForce-GTX1080Ti-Founders-Edition-11GB-GDDR5X
kmspico10.com/
pccasegear.com/products/36366/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-edition
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The R5 1600x doesn't come with a cooler so you want to get one. Or you could save some money and get an R5 1600, with an aftermarket cooler still, and overclock it to reach R5 1600 levels of performance. That would also allow you to upgrade the RAM (while still overall paying less) which will end up giving you more performance.

I have a 960 EVO M.2 drive that's making a scratching noise whenever the computer is doing something storage related. I have no other drives connected and I put my ear up to it and it's coming from the M.2 ssd. I looked it up on Google and read that disabling C1 fixes the noise. If it's a BIOS setting, I can't find it. X370 Taichi. Any suggestions?

Looking to buy a new gpu since my 4 year old Sapphire HD9750 3gb duel-x fans have started to give up. On a really tight budget, can afford max around 224 usd (2000 sek, GPUs are expensive here in Sweden).

Missed a 180 usd deal on MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4gb yesterday, today it costs 200 usd.

Asus Radeon RX 470 Strix Gaming 4gb is now at 224 usd.

My cpu is currently a fx 8320 and it is not going to change for a while. Help me pick gpu.

Won by 4 seconds. Nice job, OP.

I made some minor OP improvements that I'll post below.

Scratching noise? What the hell. I thought those have no moving parts. No idea, though. Are you sure it's not under some folder in the BIOS? My ASRock BIOS has lots of various folders with more options.

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500X - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - the best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/multitask/mixed use, R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU - fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti/RX560 if ~$105 - Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Gets outperformed by the RX 580; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - usually not worth the extra cost for Gsync
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ REVIEWS on retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU/whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board+case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is almost always wiser than an AIO

prev thread >>#######

Rx 470 would be a decent choice and it wouldn't be that much bottlenecked by an fx 8320
Try to see if there's also rx 570s around that price
1050ti is a good card but going from your previous card it would be noticeably worse, so don't do that

>I thought those have no moving parts.
You are right, but apparently this is an issue that exists with M2 SSDs, he's not the first guy to complain about this

Yeah, I thought the same thing too. Seems like it's not just me though. I'll reboot and have another look, but I'm pretty sure I checked the folders. If I don't find a solution, I will contact Samsung.

hardforum.com/threads/ssd-makes-sound-when-thinking-just-me.1513602/

>trying to put memory in pc
>wont go in
>internet says it can take some force
>start pushing that fucker in
>slot snaps off
:)
there was 4 slots. can i use the other ones or is the entire board fucked?

>can i use the other ones or is the entire board fucked?
Maybe, not sure
Considering you jsut fucked one slot i wouldn't recommend fucking up any more slots though
Please post picture of RAM, slot, & post of picture of the RAM above the slot to see if it actually lines up

Seen three guys in the past month getting DDR3 ram rebranded as DDR4, could be this.

Thanks for the advice.

The rx 570s I can find for around that price are Gigabyte's for 224 usd (Aourus ed. slightly more expensive), Sapphire's Pulse for 236 usd and both ASUS and MSI's Gaming X for 258 usd.

Which one is most worth the money?

The Gigabyte of course, the others are better but they do not provide a performance increase worth the price different at all.
The 570 is decently faster than a 470, it's definitely worth the price if it's just slightly more expensive.

Odd question, but does the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe have a lighting option to turn off the side lights? (other than disconnecting the wires). I prefer not having the case lighting up my room all night and wasting power, tho it is a nice aesthetic when in use.

I've read through the manual online but came up with nothing.

Other than that, I'd settle just fine with the Pro, depending whic is on sale.

The button at the front just cycles between green blue violet and red, there is no "off" option unfortunately

The Gigabyte seems to be out of stock, but I can get the Auros edition for 10 usd more. Still worth it?

why do we have two autism threads. Look at the guts thread, only 1 out of every 10000 wishlists actually gets purchased. who gives a fuck about op/fgt?

glad I knew better than to waste money on one of those. ayy.
Unless you actually do use it as a scratch disk, which I doubt.

Did you not read the manual that tells you to pop open the levers to the side first..?
You can sometimes only use 2 slots first, and the others don't work until those are populated. But yes, maybe, though it may run at slower speed on the others (which is why 2 DIMMS is recommended over 4 with dual channel).

Why would you have paid $180 for the 1050 Ti when the 470 is 50% faster and only $44 more?
That's the obvious choice there, even if your CPU will bottleneck it in many cases.
The Strix 470 might be better than the Aorus. Those were pretty high quality and might handle a BIOS flash, especially if they're dual BIOS. Gigabyte AMD GPUs tend to be loud and hot.
The Gaming X is the second best RX570 after the Red Devil, but it's not worth $34 more (they're only $10-$15 more here)

yes but no higher than that, the RX 570 is just a RX 470 that can achieve higher clock after all

This thread is made to help anons with building the right parts, so the OP is important as it provides them with basic information before they come to us.

Just report the other and move on.

Ah, what a shame. The Pro will still be nice for me. Maybe a little interior lighting and it'll look nice lol

Intel started assembling them poorly. Too much adhesive that spaces the IHS Too far from the die so it can't transfer heat from the die to the IHS to the cooler well.
How bad it really is varies by luck.

OP came to be how it is due to lots of common questions each thread.
The 2 DIMMs thing and NVMe shit especially.
Every single thread you get people asking if NVMe is actually worth it, or putting it in their builds by default because they saw someone else on leddit who was so excited to get their useless overpriced 960 Evo.

Have the RAM speed issues on Ryzen been solved yet? I remember reading something about how fast RAM doesn't work at its native speed because of crappy mobos and you need special RAM designed for Ryzen, but has that been fixed by now?

I'm looking at getting the ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX with 16GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM, and the mobo says that 3200 is the highest speed that's supported so I should be fine, right?

the 580 is a poor choice for 1440 though, I have an oc 390x that benches about the same and it can only run ultra textures and a high medium mix for a locked 60fps in witcher and fo4, they aren't even new.

fair enough but it is always changing and people argue about it.

>because of crappy mobos
No, because of early software.

>and you need special RAM designed for Ryzen,
Well ,some specific kits do work better to achieve high clocks, but it doesn't mean others do not. Specifically, Samsung B Die RAM kits work the best, but they tend to be much more expensive. Hynix kits have less luck at reaching those high frequencies but still do achieve them at times.

>but has that been fixed by now?
The AGESA update AMD has been working on for the past month and a half is made to address these specific RAM overclocking issues. It's planned to be released with new bioses later this month.

>the mobo says that 3200 is the highest speed that's supported so I should be fine, right?
It's pretty random, we can't tell you for sure.

It's not an ideal choice but it's not a shit choice either, if you do drop a few settings (mostly the ones that cost the most FPS while having the least graphical impact like anti aliasing or such) you can achieve it
But yeah, the GTX 1070 is mostly the card recommended here for 1440p

Who's the best RX 580 vendor? Need a quiet and cool card.

XFX is not an option in my country

What store are you buying from? The ASUS RX480 costs 2190 SEK at Netonnet, getting a 1050 Ti at that price is pointless, especially since even the RX470 outperforms it by a lot.

MSI is pretty good for both quiet and cool

>I have an oc 390x that benches about the same and it can only run ultra textures and a high medium mix for a locked 60fps in witcher and fo4, they aren't even new.
Witcher 3 is really demanding and FO4 is just plain terribly optimized.
Yes, you're right you won't hit a consistent 60+ on those. But 99.95% of games you can on high/very-high settings.
And hell, most games from the past few years still look great on "medium" even if you had to drop down that low, which you almost never will.

Red Devil GS, GTR-S, or Nitro++.
But I wouldn't spend that much for just a 1080p card. The RX570 has the same number of ROPs and the RX570 Red Devil and Gaming X are clocked high. I'd only buy one of those 3 above if you are doing 1440p and need the best you can get.

>Witcher 3 is really demanding
It's mostly the forced x64 tesselation that is doing this

Oh. I keep forgetting to update the deus ex resolution used there.
And driver got an update for GR Wildlands and it's more like 50 fps on very high 1440p, and 60+ on high.

Hmh, i think I saw a graph that shows that MSI is pretty loud and saw some pretty bad reviews

I play at 1080p, that is why the more cheap 1050 ti grabbed my attention thinking I could accept lower gfx settings and getting away cheaper.

Netonnet and Komplett. I have read that the ASUS RX 580 can be loud + the energy consumption seem to be big compared to the GTX cards.

What's the best processor to pair with a 1080ti for maximum 1440p FPS?

I already ordered a freesync 144hz monitor, so RX580 is my best option.

The asus strix is definitely quieter and noticeably cooler, but it has a tendency of being decently pricier too

A 7700k would give you the most FPS out of all CPU right now, assuming GPU isn't a bottleneck in the game you'll play (unlikely)
What exactly do you do besides gaming? An R5 1600(x) might be a better choice

I really only game and stream.

What about Sapphire Pulse?

>only game and stream.
R5 1600(x) all the way then, video encoding loves more core and having more headroom left to do so while gaming is much better for both frame pacing & stream quality

Might wanna get a good $50 cooler with it to overclock it. Considering you're going high end, it's a performance boost that definitely could be noticed

why 1600x over 7700k?

Because you said you stream. Streaming is video encoding, and video-encoding while you're playing a video game requires a decent amount of CPU power. Considering x264 encoding scales very well with cores, it's a no brainer.
The 7700k has only 4 cores / 8 threads, it has some headroom left while gaming (anywhere between 30 & 20%) but that isn't ideal for streaming because of CPU usage spikes that happen in every games, which would cause noticeable stutter should your CPU reach a 100% or close usage.

With the money saved from going r5 1600x instead of 7700k, you could get a great cooler and higher clocked ram to tighten the not that big gap between them in gaming.

The 470 or 570 is the way to go for 1080p but they cost almost the same as the 480 here in Sweden

>I play at 1080p, that is why the more cheap 1050 ti grabbed my attention thinking I could accept lower gfx settings and getting away cheaper.
Ah. Well that would be the case, yes. But if you do play new games, there will sooner come a point that the 1050Ti doesn't even play stuff on low-medium at 60fps+.
1050Ti wouldn't be a bad choice though. You just may need to upgrade again sooner.

You said you had a 9750 which doesn't exist. I'm guessing you meant a 7950. The 1050Ti is slower in some cases than the 7950 (DX12/Vulkan) while the RX570 is 70-100% faster.

>purchased 1800x
>i9 announced immediately after
fucking hell

There was non i9 announcement
You didn't purchase a 1800x
stop baiting!

Somewhat decent but others are often better at cooling

Would an i5-2400 bottleneck an RX 580 much? I plan to throw together a junker from used parts and the i5-2400 can be found plentiful and cheap pulled from old office PCs.

Yes, it would bottleneck it quite noticeably. It's still fine if it's a placeholder for two or three months

Well I was planning to eventually upgrade to an i7-3770 but probably not in a few months, more like a few years once they're $50~

Damn, I guess sandy bridge is getting a bit old these days.

Yes. The 2500k was only god-tier because you could OC it to 5GHz, and even it is insufficient in many new games.

Does anyone know any good places to buy 10 bit monitors in Aus.

Any recommendations on cheap good quality 10 bit monitors with at least 1440p. The refresh rate doesnt matter as not gaymur faggot

Where do you guys look for benchmarks? I'm trying to find some rx560 vs gtx 1050ti online but apparently I am too dumb.(only thing that shows up right now on YouTube are 1050 2gb vs rx560 4gb which seems pointless to me).

Any proper write ups that aren't shilled to high hell about building home servers? I'm looking to build a simple fileserver/DLNA mediaserver.

eurogamer, anandtech and techpowerup

final build in AUD
debating whether I should keep my 3 year old PSU (650w, bronze, modular)
i don't care about memes, shilling, waiting for vega and amd cores anymore, i just want to buy these and build it

>replacing a perfectly fine power supply with corsair trash

nigga if all you gonna do is downgrade, don't bother.

but my current rig literally blue-screened/restarted every other day last summer, would that have an effect on the psu

I'm guessing something inside overheated because it only does that when its a summer day

>Where do you guys look for benchmarks
guru3d, oc3d, hardware unboxed.

Is servethehome bad?

Amazon.com

Any recommendations for a case with lots of 5.25 bays (as in 10 or more) for a NAS?
Preferably without the gaymur shit look.
I found Lian Li, but they're kinda expensive.

tldr: something like pic related but cheaper?

intels 10nm is going to be slower than their current chips. But will consume a bit less power.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100008044 600010479 600010482 600010483

None of those have 10 or more 5.25 bays.

What is the LEAST compromised build one can make, if one doesn't care about price or performance? Ie: Minimum number of security holes in the hardware, meaning no Intel chips with NSA backdoors, HDD instead of SSD, etc.

What's the best way to check the health and read/write speed for my SSD?

But they have 3.5" bays with much better or reliable backplanes than the overpriced, shitty SATA'based backplanes on the 5.25" conversions.

Alright, this might sound pretty retarded, but what's the most portable/smallest and efficient build I can make?

I need a PC I can move back and forth between Europe and America only between 2-3 times a year, but I need it to fit in a hand baggage.

Once it has been moved, it would remain put for at least 3 months then move again.

Does anyone have an unused Windows activation key? Play Asia screwed me and I got one that is already in use

But I need to fit in both 3.5'' and 2.5'' HDDs.
Just seems like a waste of space to put a 2.5'' HDD in a 3.5'' backplane.

You're a fucking idiot. You can fit both 2,5" and 3.5" in 3.5" hotswap trays. There are cases in that list with both sizes of hotswap bays. Quit complaining, you little bitch.

Don't let them fuck you over, make them give you a new NEW one. Unless your consumer laws are fucking shit, as a last resort you can do a chargeback because they didn't uphold their end of the transaction.

Assuming win 7, use Dazloader, or if you don't want to risk becoming part of a 'Russian' botnet you can YouTube how to keep a wall paper up and stop the taskbar forcing to the top. That will allow you to basically have everything other than updates. I've been running that myself for many years no problem

What's the reason why ps/2 was abandonned again?

Buying a Windows key kek

Kmspico for activision, don't Google it and download it you will most likely come across the fake virus riddled versions.

I think the forum is called digitiallife forum

Ksmpico nova portable if what you need

Kms*

Whats the difference?

ple.com.au/Products/627323/Galax-GeForce-GTX1080Ti-Founders-Edition-11GB-GDDR5X

ple.com.au/Products/627356/ASUS-GeForce-GTX1080Ti-Founders-Edition-11GB-GDDR5X

it wasnt?!

kmspico10.com/

Depends on how much horsepower you need, it's going to be tough to have a GPU in anything smaller than mITX

Anyone know any good mATX mobos for an R5 1600X?

Enough for 3D modeling and video editing.
Whatever I end up building shouldn't work worse than my shitty laptop.

oh god i remember accidentally downloading one of the virus riddled ones,and my fucking friend installed bonzi buddy and for whatever fucking reason the virus pico stopped working after installing bonzi

Don't use this site unless you want to be assfucked

I play old games (pre-2012).
Is G4560 + RX 460 + 4GB RAM enough to 1080p60fps all those games?

check the hashes of the dl you idiot, theyre exactly the same

Yes. RX460 does like 160+ FPS in SC2, for example. Even more in CSGO.

Should do. But if you see yourself doing more with PC's in the future, but not having expendable cash [insert upsale here]
Particularly the GPU because to upgrade that CPU would also requite a mobo, and everyone is more cased up in the future; that and you may want a newer game at some point. Keep an eye put for sales. Also I think the 560 is a thing now.

Does anyone know if I'd be able to fit 2x 1080's in a mid tower case like this? I'm thinking ahead for the future and don't want to have to buy a new case in like a years time.

pccasegear.com/products/36366/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-edition

Why would you? SLI is garbage.

Thank you.

As long as they're two slot cards.

>I want as bigga e-peen as possible
But why is SLI bad?

You might even get by without the rx460.

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia never fixed the microstutter problem with SLI.
Can anyone prove otherwise?

You're better off getting a Titan Xp or waiting for Vega. You want the best single card possible.
If you do dual card, Crossfire tends to scale better and AMD fixed their own microstutter problem with it ages ago. But I still wouldn't recommend it.

looking for a 1200$ pc with monitor only used for gamen.

I play paradox games and mount and blade.

The only reason I was even considering SLI later on is that I am looking into the future. I am going to get a 2k 144hz monitor but I can't afford 2x 1080's or a Titan right now.

Why is most every product using USB then?