Get 8GB they said

>get 8GB they said
Remember to never fall for Sup Forums memes. Get 16GiB. Ignore Sup Forums shills recommending 8GB. It's not enough in 2017.

12GB is enough for me.

4/5 poeple on g will fall for this. If you feel concerned or have any empathy for these poeple please call the number below and help safe the poeple that need help the most.

Maybe not enough to transmit your every keystroke to a Microsoft server near you

I have 4gb of ram used just for Firefox in Windows
in Linux 1.7 on average

RAMlet detected.

And TempleOS probably takes 10 MB maximum. Your point exactly retard?

>16GB is enough

>attempting to visualise in java your mother's asshole
kek. You'll always run out of memory.

Windows 10 needs lot of memory to log everything you do and send it to Microsoft servers. You should really consider upgrading to 64GB.

well

Windows is shit

Kek. there are games that take more ram than 8GB to play, let alone actual work

I got 32 GB for $30 a stick. The LP 1333 8x4 set is usually $90 a dimm. Working at a computer store has its perks. It's low frequency by default but handles 1600 MHz well, and is cas 10.

8GB is still fine for most people.

Cities Skylines is awful about this. I'm usually pulling 9-10GB. Once you add on other programs like Firefox and general system processes that's pretty much all of my 16GB or RAM gone.

Nigger I'm sitting at 6.8/8 GB used with AutoCAD, Revit, chrome with 3 tabs, excel and PDF reader, what the fuck are you doing that requires a gozilion GB ram?

I have 2 GB in my thinkpad x60 and 4 GB in my desktop. They both run fine with gentoo linux.

Recommending 8GB was a meme in 2010

GNU/Linux(Torvald's Kernel)

So, they're basically useless then?

12GB is barely enough.
It was overkill in 2013 tho

ayyy

Why aren't you running a pagefile?

I'm paranoid about SSD wear.

Why do you guys assume everyones use case is the same as yours?

reeee get off my lawn normie

Literally no reason not to get 16gb of RAM. RAM is cheap as shit.

Fuck you, and fuck your memes.

12gb master Race here.

Just make a larger page

Get over it.

Windows is so bloated

>2017
>not maxing out your the limit of your mobo
32 is comfy but I wish my board could hold 64

>80 threads
¿que

fell for /g
people they said 8 gb is enough
people that said buy amd rysen instead waiting skylake-x in june.
really make you think.

Nope. There is no reason to use swap in 2017.
Unless you're a lelnoox user

are you suggesting its ok for windows to require 4gb of ram to surf the web?

Enjoy running out of commit.

Nice shitposting you got there.

>doesn't know about SSD endurance
>doesn't know what commit is
You don't really know much, do you?

>shitposting intensifies

>spoonfeed me
No.

>shitposting
>m-m-m-uh cummit!
>decreasing ssd use is baaaad! you can't just have 16gb ram and use it, you have to write data to disk! you have to because I said so! buhuuu
kill yourself. Unironically.

>6.7GB

>over 8gb of it is disk cache
>the most bloated OS in existence
>16gb is needed!!!!!!
Kys

You're one retarded shitposter, you know that?
How about you use actual arguments instead of shitting with worthless statements?

>6.7GB
>third world comma

1- that's not true. I use Windows too, so I know empirically you're lying.
2- Windows is a desktop OS. It's optimized for desktop usage. This means for example, preloading on unused RAM frequently used programs so they're already ready when you first open them. Linux lacks this basic functionality, because it's primarily a server OS. This means less RAM usage, but slower program boot times, for example. Chrome opens instantly for me on Windows while it literally takes seconds on Linux, same machine. This also means any RAM usage comparison between completely different OSes is flawed.

Somebody forgot to turn off some of the telemetry on install and probably has 100+ tabs and shitty add ons
If you're using over 2GB RAM on startup you're doing something horribly wrong

tfw MEGA-TASKING

If you had 1/3 of that RAM there was no reason to use a swapfile on Linux even 10 years ago.

Windows 10 has mostly caught up with Linux' overall awesome memory management capabilities for desktop usage, but only mostly.

I'm 2-pass IVTC'ing one series while editing subs/splitting/remuxing/writing ordered chapters/watching another while shitposting and torrenting.

>telling you to spend less is now shilling
Ok

It depends on what you do with the PC you gigantic retard.
AAA games on max will obviously need 16GB.

>cached 10gb
You're a fucking retard.

I've got 20GB of RAM
and I can say.. 8 is enought
fuck dat RAM faggotry

The cache doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I happily use 8gb, if your using more than that at idle and aren't happy about it one of two things has happened:

1. You misunderstood what you wanted and needed out of your computer in the first place, in that case you shouldn't be building them yourself, because you clearly don't understand what your doing.

2. Your running enormous amounts of processes that you don't need, which means you don't understand how to effectively manage your computer, and don't understand what your doing.

Time to go read a fucking book my friend.

I nearly cap at 16 now too depending on how many firefox tabs, if I have a VM running, adobe after effects etc

So ill likely up to 32 soon

barely even use up 200mb idle

>your using
>your doing
>your running
>your doing

>Time to go read a fucking book

he's got a pretty good point there

Yes it does. It's how much RAM your OS has data cached in for quick access. It's not in active use. You could get 64 gigs of ram and if you use your computer long enough, it will fill that up with cached data.

I have 8gb, the only time I've seen a memory warning was on playing just cause 3, the game draws just about all the ram it can.
Game still runs with zero performance issues, can alt-tab to windows on a dime, open browser and do shit in the background.
Like I need internet memers to tell me about things.

>Not getting 32gb and never worrying about RAM again

It has nothing to do with his problem. Cache uses unused RAM and doesn't count it as anything but cached.

Literally what in the fuck are you even talking about?

>32G is the new 640K

Wew lad

see

Ignore winplebs. 40 MBYTES is all you need.

>cache uses all the RAM to "improve performance"
>run out of RAM because of that
>have to resort to using the page file on the fucking disk as a result

"Improving performance" muh fucking ASS

Windows 98 could get by with the same if not less, and was more useful.

See

Nice meme, but alpine is certainly more useful than any windows

I have 2 GB DDR2

You do realise the data will have to be committed to the disk at some point and that not doing so somewhat regularly will increase your chances of data loss, right?

>tfw running 8 gb just fine
What are you autists doing with your OS?

>fill memory
>oh GOD!! it's 2017!!! 8gb is not Enough!!!!! Xddd fuch Sup Forums _I_

What are you smoking, you stupid bitch?
It's a laptop. I didn't build it myself.
>enormous amounts of processes that you don't need
Except 99% of these processes take maybe 1GB of this RAM. Rest is used by chrome, transmission daemon, two vms, windowed gmod and mpc-hc handling 1080p movie.
Nothing fancy, huh?

4GB is enough.

Except cached ram is on white. This "10GB" is actually Modified Memory.
kys

See:

>DDR3
>1600Mhz
>2017

If windows doesn't have pagefile enabled it won't cummit anything into disk. It will simply show me a warning box that I'm running out of memory, and then close something for me if there is less than 100MB of memory.
And guess what, this NEVER happened, because windows can suspend it's functionality in background to free up memory, and samae goes for mpc-hc and gmod which frees up memory if needed.
The only situation when windows closed something for me was using dell venue 8 pro with 2GB RAM with pagefile disabled, and only when running chromium with 10 tabs, thunderbird and watching sh0ta in movie player.

tfw

Really makes you think

>Memoria
yep, really makes me think. Get a job jamal

>Xddd fuch Sup Forums _I_

*Memória
*João
I'm working right now :^)

>Ignore Sup Forums shills recommending 8GB. It's not enough in 2017.
Learn how to work with efficient software then, dumbass.

I don't care, Joao Almeida. Get off my lawn.

>lilnoox
>efficient
hahaahhaha, especially GPU drivers. hahhahaah

>390MB
I rarely went over that on XP. What are you doing?

João da Silva, retard.

Had 16 GB in previous build (4x4)
Thinking about getting 32 (4x8) in next build.

I have no idea when it comes to choosing ram but I know speed and timings are important. I'm sure getting 16 gb with better specs will be better than 32 with worse specs. Any anons want to chime in?

The problem is that windows uses ~2,5gb just idling.

>Windows 98
>can use Office 97
>can use lotsa games
>can use Internet Explorer / Netscape Navigator to get on the web
>can use Napster/Winamp to get and listen to music
>can use Outlook Express to read and send email
>and much more

>Alpine Linux
>can open terminal to run some commands revolving around showing system info or moving files around or dicking around with just the system itself for the sake of just dicking around with the system itself and not much more
>can edit and run scripts achieving more of the above
>can read manpages on these commands/scripts
>can read text files
>that's about it

wew lad
>