Multiboot Partition Layouts

Share and discuss multiboot partition/disk layouts, configurations and ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-booting
pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?147959-How-to-install-and-boot-145-operating-systems-in-a-PC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Multiboot doesn't mean what you think it means.
Multiboot is a bootloader protocol.

Autism: the thread.

>ntfs

A multiboot configuration is a configuration where multiple operating systems can be booted on one hardware (or VM) system natively. Many different bootloaders (or combinations of bootloaders) can be used to achieve various configurations, however every multiboot configuration needs a suitable partition layout.

>Multiboot is a bootloader protocol
Feel free to elaborate.

none since I deleted windwos

O hello neo-Sup Forums, allow me to speak in your tongue:
#youhavetogoback

>Feel free to elaborate.
Here retard: gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

What you're thinking about is called dual boot.

Please stop misusing terms you heard once.

You can have all sorts of multiboot configs not involving Windows at all. You can multiboot multiple Linux distros, *BSD, Plan9/9front, maybe even TempleOS (dunno how its installer works but if it can install to an arbitrary partition and its native bootloader can be chainloaded by GRUB then I don't necessarily see a problem).

>Please stop misusing terms you heard once.

I think that it's you who does not have a full understanding. "Dual boot" is newb tier, you can multiboot three or four or five or ten or even 150 operating systems if you know how partition systems and bootloaders work. gnu.org is not a defining authority of the term "multiboot".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-booting

Anyway, anyone ever got a working DOS, Win9x and WinNT5 (2k, XP, or 2k3) tripleboot to work with just the NTLDR bootloader loading each of the OSes? According to some MS docs it's possible, but seems a bitch to get to work properly. It involves having bootsector files such as bootsect.dos and bootsect.w40, and the DOS and 9x bootfiles being dynamically renamed so they don't overwrite each other.

Does TempleOS even work on bare metal? The few Terry videos I saw he was always running it in VMware.

kek at that convoluted mess. I just use different SSDs for macOS and Windows. Job done, no need to worry about bootloaders getting overwritten etc.

>gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

That shit is way to low-level, it might be useful to whoever wants to write their own booloader that would be compliant with whatever GNU specified as their "standard" (I guess there is little reason to do that given that we have GRUB2 and GRUB Legacy (or GRUB4DOS if someone needs it), LILO, SYSLINUX and its variants, etc. etc. already.

If you have a good plan, nothing will ever get overwritten. One such plan is to have a dedicated bootloader on a small partition which is used to chainload bootloaders (or load kernels directly if you prefer, but it's more work) of specific operating systems which have been installed to the VBR rather to the MBR. That way, each of the OSes is self-contained and does not overwrite anything else. If you get tired of it, you can just reinstall another OS in its place. That way you can distro-hop multiple distros at once.

>that convoluted mess
It may look confusing if you have little experience with bootloaders, but it will make sense if you invest some time to get the hang of it.

And?
My point is that what OP is refering to as "multiboot" isn't actually multiboot. Because multiboot is a bootloader protocol, not a term to describe having multiple operating systems installed.

I understand it actually, I've dealt with it before. What I'm saying is that it's not worth it. Just grab an SSD for each OS you need. If that's more than two, it's very unlikely that you actually need them.

what's with the 20 GB NTFS partition being assigned Solaris/FreeBSD/NetBSD?

>every word has just one meaning
>whatever GNU decides the meaning is must be the correct meaning

Oh ok

I guess it means you can install either there. If you do it as outlined, your partitions essentially become "slots" for OSes where you can reinstall (or even just reimage if you have images) them into without disturbing anything else (just have an entry in your master bootloader to chainload each OS volume).

multibootusb.org
pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Here, crusade against them, because they use the term "multiboot" in a yet different way (i.e. booting multiple live systems from a USB stick rather than booting multiple regular OS installs from one or more HDDs as OP has been talking about).

>he doesn't multiboot 145 operating systems on his PC

forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?147959-How-to-install-and-boot-145-operating-systems-in-a-PC

>I am an underage normie neo-Sup Forums from plebbit and everything I don't understand or see a use for is "autism"

>What I'm saying is that it's not worth it
Why? Do you imply that virtualization made multibooting obsolete?

No. I already said exactly what I recommend doing instead.

Why waste an entire SSD on an OS install when you can use a fraction of it for an OS partition and having a common data partition to any OS?

>neo-Sup Forums doesn't see a point in multi-booting or even partitioning a disk at all

just sad