SAILFISH OS GENERAL

Sailfish OS now working on all Sony Xperia hardware thanks to a Sony-Jolla collaboration.

jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Sony_Jolla_press_release_MWC2017_FINAL.pdf?x12599

Helsinki, Finland, April 5, 2017 - Jolla Ltd., the Finnish mobile company and developer of open mobile operating system Sailfish OS announces that Sailfish China OS is proceeding into implementation phase. Jolla expects that within 6 months China will have its own independent mobile operating system, based on Sailfish OS.

Currently Sailfish OS is licensed by Russia and China. Jolla is actively negotiating with new partner countries.

“We expect that by 2022, 10 to 20 countries have followed Russia’s and China’s example and are building their secure mobile communication based on Sailfish OS.

jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/China_announcement_April5_2017_FINAL.pdf?x12599&x12599

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Newfags don't know about Sailfish OS

If sony releases a sailfish phone I'd buy it instantly.

as an Xperiafag, I am very happy about the recent jolla happening but i am not quite experienced about flashing roms. I am hoping that they make an easy to install images for sony phones.

If sailfish supports normie apps like whatsapp and such, I may ditch android.

You can install it already right now on existing hardware. Jolla had said that the devices should be available by late June.

The Sailfish Xperia deal might make me replace my 9-year-old Symbian phone. Not that I really need one but it might be cool to have a proper pocket computer.

First Mozilla, then Canonical and now Jolla. When the fuck will freetards understand that no one wants their fucking piece of shit?

I'll upgrade from my ancient iphone 4 to Sailfish if that's true

Supported devices list developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/

>First Mozilla, then Canonical and now Jolla

You have it backwards, Jolla was first and they're still going

>No Sony Xperia M4
Fuck's sakes.

I think I will need to by an Xperia X Compact
Or should I import one of the native Jolla's from India/China/Russia?

Can I install it on a Nexus 5 and is it worth doing?

Well android was originally freetard shit and ios was made by a small group of freetards

Yes and Yes

What are the chances new Nokia buys Jolla and we all just pretend the last 10 years didn't happen?

I welcome this.

First it was the Nokia N800/N900/N9, but that was Jolla inside Nokia.

The N9 was still better than Sailfish 1.0

Xcompact Is a good choice
t. Owner of one

Only if Nokia is able to get the UX from the N9 back from Microsoft. Jolla made a wrong turn with the UX for Sailfish, even BB10 was better.

Nokia's not gonna get back into the phone business, maybe if some new non+phone technology comes along they will do that but phones are pretty much over. They have a 30% stake in HMD, the company that makes the new Nokia branded phones and I think that's enough.

Lets see what the Chinese do UI-wise with their version of Sailfish.

by "new Nokia" he meant HMD m8

He didn't say that.

Sailfish just runs ordinary Linux programs right?

Well, as long as as you remember that it doesn't come with GNOME or KDE, and it's a phone, yes. The N9 could run chrooted OpenOffice...

Sailfish uses glibc, gcc, d-bus, and other well-know Linux infrastructure.

I have some questions about porting sailfish, the porting guide suggests that a working version of lineageOS/cyanogenmod has to be running on the device so that sailfish can can interface with the android hardware adaption kernel.
I want to create a port because there are no working lineage images for any of the old phones I have.
Is it difficult to port sailfish to a phone without running lineage and if so is there a good guide somewhere?

Android GPU driver situation is completely whacked, there are NO drivers for regular Linux kernels with X.Org/Wayland. Sailfish has to target LineageOS, which helps with that.

>there are NO drivers for regular Linux kernels with X.Org/Waylan
There's usually no drivers for Android either, unless your OEM master decided to bless you with support for a few Android versions

If there weren't drivers for Android, how do homebrew ROMs work? They exist, but they are binary, closed-source and very undocumented.

They only work for certain Android versions, until Google changes the HAL and the OEM doesn't release anything newer
The custom rom community hacks them to work with the newer HAL's though

>closed source
No, I'ld use Nemo.

So is it mainly a GPU driver issue? If I can find a port for a phone with the same gpu then it might not be too hard? I fucking dread the day the silicone chip industry collapses under the weight of their own stupidity, although the ruination of GPU mega corps is going to be cathartic as fuck.

Is it possible to run it on a pure linux stack or does it really need to tie into the android kernel? Because if it needs android then it's not really an independent OS.

This so many times. I. just. want. to. make. this. bloody. m4. work. again. tanjit!

Nice

Too bad it uses the systemd cancer and binary blobs are full of backdoors

The problem is that since the dominant "mobile Linux" is android, ALL GPU drivers are hard-coded for the graphic underpinnings that Android uses (SurfaceFlinger, gralloc, BufferQueue) which are alien to Xorg/Wayland/desktop Linux.

Oh look, it's another secret agreement where Lunix faggots get a binary blob instead of pushing for a more open world where vendors like Sony open their hardware and provide documentation so all FOSS projects can benefit and write their software.

Linux people literally act just like Microsoft, It always baffles me when I see Lunix fanboys acting smug and pretending to be smarter than a folk who runs Windows when their shittty distro is also full of secret code.

Is this just a general incompetence/corporate stupidity thing or are there genuinely good reasons?

If it were possible to compile a linux kernel with driver support for all a phones features would the mir stack fit painlessly into that and would that remove the whole android fiasco?

Is there a better place to ask these dum questions, I have so many and I really want to port this bloody m4 and get into porting in general.

polite sage because nobody else seems interested in this thread.

Android is not Linux. They claim it uses a Linux kernel for the geek cred, but Google's approach it was the same as what they did to Java - borg it, slice it, break it, make it incompatible - "we don't care, this is our shit now and time-to-market is what's important"

All the rest of the underpinnings on top of teh kernel are completely different to desktop Linux and there is no other (mobile) Linux in town (Maemo died, Sailfish fled East, Tizen is Samsung), so why would mobile GPU vendors go to the trouble of developing drivers for Xorg/Wayland?

In fact, Jolla were the firstto develop a compatibility shim between Android GPU drivers and Wayland, and part of the butthurt around Ubuntu's Mir was that Canonical had developed a similar shim but was denying credit to Jolla for the idea.

Well, thanks for all the info. I wish the whole smartphone thing wasn't a sham, I'm kind of hopeful with how Sony is opening up though.

Goodnight anons.

Companies like Sony only open up when they're desperate and at death's door.

>implying
Sony has never really opened up, they never opened Minidisc despite it dying, nor ATRAC or any of their plethora of proprietary stuff like Memory Sticks
They aren't actually opening up here, as the blobs user says

This is Sony Ericsson, not Sony Corporate.

And even Sony Corporate has lost most of its chutzpah lately - they have grudgingly realized they're Samsung's bitch now.

Does Android compatibility included on this sony ported version?

Meh they are way too late to the party. There is a market for an alternative mobile OS and im pretty sure google is going to hit it out of the park with FUSCHA in a year or two...

If I wait a month or few I should get a Sailfish port for the Xiaomi Note 4, yeah?

It will show up eventually. I would advise you to get an older cheap phone like the Redmi 1s to install and start playing around with the OS.

>BRIKS OS
kill me now

Redmi note 3 already have sailfish os in xda-decomposer

Is there a port for Honor 7, or would making one be plausible? I have very little experience with mobile platforms.

Reminder to check out Sailfish forums. Would be great if they supported OnePlus X

>btrfs
No, thanks.

Owned a jolla.
2 years ago.
Still have nightmares.

What was wrong with it?

Laggy, overpriced, literally not a single good native app.
Only thing that saves it is android support, but then getting Android Services to work is a major PITA, and with so little ram and CPU to spare it's horrible. Fucking K9 mail client was laggy as hell and wouldn't fetch mail in the background.
Never again.

Some people still don't seem to understand that the reason Android is good/useful is because of the proprietary Google applications and not the Linux kernel.

Take the shitty Kernel and put other one. As long as people can use their Google maps they won't give a shit.

What does Jolla have? systemd? disgusting. Pulseaudio? Won't even touch that shit with a 20 meter stick.

>i want uncle google to ravage my ass until i bleed
>cuck me harder daddy!

What's the alternative?

A shitty linux that runs on Sony hardware thanks to a binary blob? shitty? Garbage Red Hat ecosystem? Might as well just use Windows.

You entirely miss the point, but what could I expect from a Lunix fanboy?

They're gonna make it look like iOS so normies will buy it is. Xiaomi, Huawei and Meizu.

Sorry, just testing.

What? Sailfish is RedHat? Maemo was Debian.
>DROPPED
>R
>O
>P
>P
>E
>D

>Z5 compact

Well fuck me i might just need to pick one up for this.

If Sailfish had LINE i could use it as my daily driver.

>Sony open their hardware
nice meme