/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares
ultimatebootcd.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(data)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

irc and irssi newb here
what are the signs next to usersnames?
I suppose @ are operators
what are +, & and if there are any more, what are those?

does WannaCry affect Android or Linux?

Are "certified refurbished" drives from the manufacturer (as opposed to Mr chingchong ME REFIX DRIVE IT GOOD FOR YOU eBay shit) everth the discount?

My father just managed to click some ad which told him he had a message (because he was using Edge or whatever instead of Chrome which has uBlock Origin installed) and of course got a popup thing which imposed itself on the screen and grayed out the tabs.

He clicked first the x on the window, didn't get anywhere, then clicked "leave this page" or something. An audible sound played and the tab closed.

Does he have a rootkit or something now? I feel I should do something.

They say only windows.

no

what languages used to write windows xp calculator?

no

no, drives are not thing you want to take risk with
but it all depends on what you plan to store there

run malwarebytes free
run adwcleaner
run RogueKiller
run Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup

all of them on bleeping computers I think

C++ most likely

Can I turn off/disable one of the HDDs in my PC? I only need to use it once a week or so - it doesn't need to be always on.

Does every company need dedicated firewall? Or just regular router with NAT is sufficient?

ok, I work for a tech shop that also manges some small bussiness networks
I was tasked to draw network topography
so here is one of our clients, I cleared up lots from the labels to make it neutral and cleaner

as you see between LAN and WAN is only one router with openwrt
is that enough? should I try to convince for pfsense box?
what benefits does it bring?
they do use vpn and shit I think

I am new, but I feel like most people in the shop learned they shit as they go
dont get the impression of deep understanding, but they do know shit load of stuff than me

NO.
Oh for fucks sake stop. Just stop, turn away if possible.

YOU do NOT want to be the guy that sets up and manages a firewall like this.
With the exception of buying actual pfsense gear and support, you are the sole recipient of all the lawsuits and shit fanning if the firewall is breached and the company is fucked.

And yes. Every company needs a dedicated firewall.

Is that really dangerous if I've start getting asus anti-surge messages few days ago? Cleaned my power supply and reconnected all the wires but still my pc turning off after 20 minute - 2 hours :( My hardware is pretty old but I just turned off those warning today and everything looks fine

yes, in disk managment, right click and select offline

You're free to call me idiot, but how does one solve the "kernel data inpage error" thing? I already tried chkdsk and programs that check and fix hard drive's problems, but the annoying error still comes up sometimes randomly.

Any suggestions?

Is compatibility for old software better on Windows or Linux?

I just noticed my installation of Windows is running in CSM boot mode, and not UEFI.
Does this impact anything? I don't want to have to install everything all over again, but I might bite the bullet and do so

My Logitech G400 mouse keeps freezing for 2-5 seconds every now and then, what's up with it?

yeah, calm your tits there friendo with projections

also I expected more of specifics that would have hint of some knowledge, not just blowing the top off screaming generic stuff.

>Does this impact anything
not really

Thanks!

Everything related to PSU is serious business user.

Looking for cheap vps or vpn for 3$/month max.

How do I link to a wikipedia article from a specific date?
E.g. I want to link to a version of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares available today, so there won't be any mismatches if something gets changed.

repost from last bread :
Apparently under windows 10 the -u flag for the sudo command is broke/bugged. I need that shit to set up a database for by telecom class. Is there a workaround for that or do I have to accept defeat and work on another OS?

Try different USB port

View history, click on the date you want. Copy the url.

Scaleway

Anybody good with LaTeX?
Why does it do this, and how to make it.. not do it?

what's the shortest way in c# to compare 3 string variables if they are all non matching without writing 9 statements?

You should maybe take some law courses.
I worked for a wisp for a few years, as well as took a few CEH tier jobs here and there.
Believe me, you need to look at these things. When companies go under because their data is compromised, they go full fucking lawyer all the things mode.

Can it be problem with not psu ?
Can I check something about that with software somehow?
I'm not too good with computers actually

Does anyone here cover their webcams/mics and believe there is a genuine case to do so?

Never though about arm, interesting, thanks.

Thanks. Just to be sure - the topmost url in the history page is the current, not the previous one?

Maybe it has something to do with its drivers?

What PSU do you have?

Looks like so.

Maybe the USB port is fucked? Try a different one.

5 y.o. thermaltake toughpower 1350w

jesus really, stop with the projections
this is eastern europe, I am not on the hook in any way, company I work for might be
but even thats hilarious, they know what they are paying for and the owners are close family
and did business together (IT support) for like 20 years

And if you have not noticed the infrastructure is setup, if we are on hook, we are on hook ALREADY, so just stop with /r/sysadmin uncontrollable bullshit where no one can ask anything without being told to tell boss off or find other job....

I want to bring in potential issue forward. But i need some facts.
They will higher contractor to deal with shit if theres actual need, but whats actually the case
whats the issue with just separating WAN/LAN with router
is openwrt too weak to handle this?
I assume some ports are open for remote managment, but there are no services facing the internet.

so whats the logic in going for more beefy pfsense than just having routers NAT as separation.

Windowed android. Is there a way I can do this.
I put droid on my crappy spare laptop.

highly unlikely

Honestly, when your software malfunctions you just re-install it, no problem. When your RAM malfunctions you swap it out, no problem, same with every other component. But when your PSU malfunctions it might end with a very literal house fire.

Your PSU should still be on warranty, high end thermaltakes have 7 years warranty. So make a use of that.

thanks a lot

Deleted my boot partition because I'm a dumb fuck
Any way to install the windows bootloader without resinstalling windows?

It's up to date

Happens on any USB port.

FF53: How do I get the old style Awesome Bar and ellipsis in long tabs back? I wanted to stay on 44 but shit kept breaking.

I have a 4TB HDD and I only get 3.63TBs. Why?

I don't get that. Is it the file system?

yeah

it has to store your files somewhere

>run malwarebytes free
>run adwcleaner
>run RogueKiller
>run Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup
Eh, nothing in particular found (settings and shit) so probably nothing. Although anti-virus/malware tools aren't that effective to begin with.

I once fixed something like that. Use this

ultimatebootcd.com/

and run MBRtool, was it? I'm not sure, just read the instruction.

>eastern europe
Well fuck, why didn't you say so earlier?
In that case do whatever.

You must separate the Wan from the lan if you're on ipv4. You probably should with ipv6 as well.
As for security, yes, you want a firewall, and nat.

So basically your little openwrt box is all that's between your network and the Chinese. This is a good thing, as now your attack surface is just the openwrt OS and not the whole 20+ pcs.

Its probably fine, unless it's being overloaded. Pfsense is going to be a larger attack surface, so potentially less secure. But it can be put on hardware that is much faster.

I mean, is it the file system that's eating 37GBs?

Any way to make my USB stick read-only so when I use it in a nearby store here it doesn't infect my shit with their shitty viruses?

Lets be polite, its sqt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(data)

yeah.... To me that's latin. I don't understand anything in that

HDD manufactures say that 1000GB is 1TB
Your os thinks 1024GB is 1TB

There is no adopted storage unit yet. So people use whichever is better for them.

Any reason I can't just have a home server run a desktop OS?

Like Win 7 because I own it

Because for windows 1 GB is 1024MB.

Any other OS in thew world uses TiB which is 1000MB.

>Is software written for let's say Linux 1.1 compatible with Linux 4.2?
kernelspace software (ie. modules/drivers) likely won't be compatible between major versions, as they don't go out of their way to support this
userspace software (normal applications and libraries) however, are intended to keep working between major versions
i haven't used linux for /that/ long, but i have run into a few really old linux programs, which still work

pic related, written in 1994, last updated in 2001, yet it compiles and runs fine (even to a 64bit executable!)

No reason. It just needs to be reachable from the outside and be able to do whatever you want it to do. Probably pretty awkward on a desktop OS, and you'll probably be interacting with it through CLI from the outside anyway, unless you have some web interface for your torrent client (on the server) or something.

The question is, why waste resources on the GUI stuff if you're probably not going to use it anyway?

sure you can
but its kinda stupid
depending on what exactly you want your server to do

Oyh, I have that mobo.

>TiB
GiB*

NAS mainly. I need somewhere to store my work(videos, images) and maybe backup some family members' stuff.

huh, i had a look at the dates, and xBill's original release was when linux 1.1.0 was the latest version, go figure

sure theres nothing bad with windows7 for that
but there are actually dedicated NAS systems that come out more comfortable to configure and manage through web interface and more easily deployed
for example you dont need HDD for syste, you use old small USB from which OS boots and whole HDD is only for storage...

freeNAS and nas4free are the ones I tried
google some youtube tutorials to see what they are about
but if you dont feel like learning, then just setup windows sharing and be done with it

Apparently I can't access cock.li when I'm on my VPN. I know Vincent did some updates recently, but I can't tell if it's him blocking requests from my IP block or my VPS doing so. Any ideas?

call and ask him

I need to use win10 for a while because i don't have much time in the coming weeks to install linux. Can I turn off the telemetry and shit? if so how?

you can probably install most linux distros faster than removing all of that shit

my pc keeps auto windowing games and the taskbar sometimes shows up when I'm watching full screened videos. I'm not getting notifications of any kind and its really bloody annoying. Does anyone know whats happening or know how I could find out

Yeah probably, but i have a lot of files for school that need to be edited on specific software and even though there are good alternatives for linux, i don't really have the time to get used to them. I will install linux when the semester is over though.

So I just defragged a HDD because I deal with huge files and keep deleting and getting new ones, it that had over 60% fragmentation, now after defragging it still has 7% fragmentation. Shouldn't the fragmentation be lower after a defrag?

if 1k or 1024k = 1TB, then why don't I have remotely that? I don't get it.
One time, with a USB stick, I was able to make a 16GB at least 15GBs. You know how you check that and it says like 14gbs? yeah that. That being said, if a 2GB can get roughly 1.65 or a bit more, then why is it so hard for a hard drive to get close to that at all?

>60% before
>7% after
Nigga are you serious?

But I thought defragging reduced fragmentation to around 0%?

7% is around zero,way more then 60%
Look up what defraging actually does

Is Chromecast not supposed to work with Chromium on Linux?

2GiB should be 1.84GB.
16GiB should be 14.5~GB.
Hard drives have a spare zone to account for bad sector remapping.

Also it adds up.
1MB= 1024 KB, 1GB = 1024MB, 1TB = 1024 GB.
1MiB = 1000 KiB, 1 GiB = 1000MB, 1TiB = 1000GB.

1TB = 1099511627776 bytes
1TiB = 1000000000000 bytes

I've been trying out some entry level Linux distributions.

Now, I probably don't NEED a VPN, but Sup Forums has made me a paranoid wreck and I don't feel right when I don't use one for browsing, even if its just this shithole.

What would I need to do to set up a VPN on something like Mint or PureOS. The few VPN's that do support Linux only seem to have Ubuntu apps and I really don't care for Ubuntu. I also heard that you don't NEED the app to use a VPN, if you have an account you can set it up manually.

I guess I am asking for an incredibly friendly tutorial on how to do that.

I would like to start using Hypervisor type 1 for my (very) small company.
Which one would you recommend ? If possible free for professional use or with a single cost.
My only experiences are type 2.

We would like to find an alternative to hMail on Linux to filter mail. Thunderbird is not powerfull enough.
The idea is to check 200 mails account, look for keywords, then redirect them to an other mail account where an human will check the message.

I'll deploy Seafile for my company, and for different reasons I need a GUI.
Which Linux and which DE ? Right now my tests are on a Xubuntu LTS (I need a software only avalaible with PPA), should I stay on XFCE for the final version or switch to something else ?

Okay Sup Forums i never ask for help, but i'm panicking right now.
I stupidly downloaded a fucking daemon tools virus and had a bitcoin miner installed on my pc. i used malwarebytes, hitmanpro and roguekiller to triple check that i got rid of it but i'm still paranoid as fuck. is there anything else I should do?
They're all saying there's nothing on my computer, but this is my first virus since 1998.

start fresh to make sure

This.
When in doubt ... start fresh.

alright will do, thankfully i have backups.
what would be the easiest way to completely wipe my drives?

DBAN

thanks man

I gave twitter my email, but now to use the site they want my phone number to verify. Anyone know a way to bypass this invasive shit?
Thanks.

You dont have too.

they be sayin i do tho, they be like
Hello valued member, please enter you mobile so we can send you a verification sms, & also track your movements for the globalist alien nazi jewish elite.
BAKA cuz

I use twitter perfectly fine with any any notices or full stop's that require a phone number to be entered

what country?

Anyone have experience with cameras and DVR? I just got a new ADT security system and it includes a camera. They offer a DVR solution but I have a NAS with over 2TB of free space on it that I'd like to use instead. The entire system is wireless, but I believe the camera will have an unused network port on the back, what's the chance I could hook it up to my network and record to my DVR without it fucking up the connection to the security system? Would ADT block something like this?

>want to reinstall linux
>don't have a burnable CD or DVD

can i boot off USB or do i have to go to bestbuy

USB should be fine for most distros

Most routers include a firewall. If the company is large enough and has the cash, go for it but for microbusinesses and such you don't necessarily need two firewalls.

I'm looking for an alternative to speedfan. It doesn't work yet with AM4 motherboards and can't find any news about updates.
Can you create fan curves with nzxt cam software for case fans and cpu fans?

Oh and maybe a mumble server

Thanks a lot for the replies. Obviously I'm asking this because I feel at home in Win7 and never delved into that there BSD