YOU HAVE 17 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T KNOW RUBY
>GO

Other urls found in this thread:

crystal-lang.org/2017/02/24/state-of-crystal-at-0.21.html
8ch
boards
twitter.com/AnonBabble

chink babby version of python

I do, I just want to find some small projects I can do with Ruby.

I don't have to know it. I can program, using Ruby isn't hard, I just need to look up syntax while using it for something.

You answered yourself
>go
Lang is more fun

I already know Crystal. Change a few keywords and fuck some dynamic stuff in there and it's the same.

More like unfucked version of Python.

I tried installing it but I kept getting an early EOF error when I was downloading it

dynamic languages are cancer

You've answered your own question, OP.

because it's already disappearing.

rails is junky hacks, and too many "cloud" type services like Google Engine are replacing running your own shitty server.

webassembly and whatever javascript abstraction of the day are the future of any web programming, especially webassembly. Push a binary and it's a client side server using a remote API which can run on anything Rails isn't needed.

I don't have the required IQ.

There are other uses for Ruby than Rails. Not all of us are web developers.

I do, Rails developer by trade.

Slow, but attractive language.
C++ is for the shit I do outside of work, when you need speed.

mfw im only on Sup Forums because I'm taking a break from using ruby on rails to code my very own personal blog
>implying you believe me

next step is to resize an image in gimp for coderelated
ul {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
list-style-image: url("meme-arrow.png");
}

I love ruby and so do all of my boyfriends

I don't know any programming languages

Smaller amount of external and even standard libraries than Python. Fuck reinventing the wheel.

why user? find one you like, get books on it & begin. nothing to lose

I tried scratch but it started to get too hard.

Because who the fuck even needs it?

I'm not 12 anymore.

cuz python.....

Because I learned Python and Go instead.

useful things I can do with it?
aren't jobs for it dead?

wtf is the difference between Google App Engine and Azure?

Why even fuck with Go?

Use it regularly at work for system scripts and with Puppet. Also django fucking sucks so if I need something more than flask or Sinatra, say for a full blown crud app, I use Rails and like it a lot.

Because I do IT security and I don't see the need to know a programming language

>security
>doesn't know programming

I dont think we hire hardly any security staff without programming knowledge where I work. We use a lot of open source and in house tools and programming is required for all of this unless you're just some kind of malware babysitter.

Anyway my point is you should learn, combing security skills with programming knowledge could lead you to a $200k job where I work.

'Cause PHP.

it's alright
this is true though

I already know Ruby but I don't see any good use for it. Python and Perl are better everywhere.

because my job doesn't require it and I have neither the time nor the inclination to learn it

Dunno where the hell you live but in my country a 200k job is simply nonexistent, no matter how skilled you are.

The land of burger $$$ my friend

Try a web startup.

What does Ruby so right that Python does wrong?

I WANT RUBY TO TIE ME UP AND TAKE OFF HER SOCKS AND SHOES AND SMOTHER ME WITH HER DELICIOUS STINKY SWEATY FEET

Why does Django suck?

I found some ruby books on lainch earlier, I'm reading them now

lainch? explain for a newfag please

this is bait

lainchan dot org
Check the lambda board, there is a programming books thread that has books for ruby.

because I went to college instead of KarlyKode bootcamp.

thanks newfriend

patrician tier

Trivia: A ruby is just a sapphire but red.

For actual software dev they definitely are.

this, desu

Language design, implementations and statically typed counterpart.

Recommend me a good resourse for getting good (preferably a book).

But I do OP (for real shit), is so confy.

None of the projects I'm working on require it, the library ecosystem for anything except web stuff is underwhelming, and it's not interesting enough to learn just for its own sake.

Ruby is great. It's comfy to write, you can do lots of nice things involving metaprogramming in a non-retarded way (i.e. not by calling eval), it's got a nice syntax for lambdas which makes them very natural, it lets you write programs creatively, it has a very high level of introspection. I could go on. I think it's one of the few languages that really make use of how they have a dynamic runtime, along with the Lisps (and Smalltalk, which is supposedly even better).
The Python shitlords really have no idea what they're missing. Do yourself a favour and go read Metaprogramming Ruby.

>adria
that's already where I have to stop commenting

I only code in asm, C/C++, C# and Java
I'm an oldfag

>Language design
A nothingpost. Be particular or go home. And I hope you don't mean Nim. It's a buggy hobbyist mess next to the much younger Crystal.

>tfw ruby and C are the only languages you know

fuck off footfag

>using "shitlord" as an insult
I've been baited.

Is it not used as an insult anymore? I've been away from this board for a while.

Learn Elixir.

The stereotype is that only SJWs use it.

>What does Ruby so right that Python does wrong?
Ruby was designed from the ground up to be a consistent language using smalltalk style object system. Python started out as a tiny language that just got features added to it that were suggested by users to Guido. You can learn all of Ruby by reading pic related and become an expert because all the parts of the language fit together in the same object model. You will always know what is in scope, what parts of the language can communicate, know what parts of your code are hidden from each other. Even the module system inherits from the universal object and is an object. In Python you always are searching for the 'pythonic' way of doing something because there is no unified design that you can count on.

Let me repeat, pic related is the best book to learn Ruby, it will give you a very deep understanding of how all parts of Ruby work and fit together. Its the ONLY book you need to understand ALL of Ruby. There are not many languages where you can start out from the get go as an expert.

>Slow, but attractive language.
I cant believe people keep repeating this meme. Ruby started out as a language designed and implemented entirely by one person (Matz) using yacc. Since then there is a design team dedicated to working on the Ruby compiler and Ruby is now a faster language than Python.

Nice pick, awesome book and is true, is prolly the only Ruby book he needs.

Now if he wants to reinforce it, he can read the pic related book.

Ruby's speed is average for a dynamic language, and it's certainly going to look very slow to somebody who writes C++. I think it makes up for it with its slowness with everything you mentioned though.
I really think Python ought to be a compiled language, it makes very little use of its dynamic features, and the fact that it's slo slow just shows how incompetent Guido is as a language designer and implementor.

>Ruby is now a faster language than Python.
Ruby is now a faster language than CPython for SOME applications.

Is crystal gud? Does it have future?

Something weird about this post. It praises Ruby for having "the same object model" in all parts of it - that everything, even the module system inherets from and is a subclass of a universal object. It lords this design philosophy over python. Except in python, everything is also a subclass of a base object class too...

>Except in python, everything is also a subclass of a base object class too...
yeah, I dont think so. why dont you tell me what object all the underscorre functions inherit from or why you have to pass an explicit self parameter to object methods so you can use local scope, Im not really seeing the unified object at work there

I have learned a little so far. I like it a lot. It's very relaxing to write in. Thought I want to learn about writing Ruby on Android with Ruboto. I can't find any good learning materials.
This summer I am going to write a Tox bot in Ruby.

what's so great about ruby, why not haskell or something

I don't write CRUD apps
Therefore I don't need Rails
Therefore I don't need Ruby

I've used Ruby several times, and even have a couple of projects on it, but seriously I've forget almost of it. I need to check a lot of references whenever I want to do something.
It's a pretty nice language desu.

This desu-ne

Get the fuck out if you use anything other than C.

get the fuck out if you use anything other than assembly

*cough* I'm a man, not a kid OP

>>why dont you tell me what object all the underscorre functions inherit from
They inheret from "object", like everything else. You can try calling isinstance(instanceName, object) on the underscore methods in a class instance if you don't believe me.

ok, I'm actually learning something here since Ive never learned Python (nor wanted to). But bundling all underscore methods on the universal object seems like way too much functionality on something that is supposed to be generic and only provide the most basic functionality for an object to exist.

You're mixing up a couple different questions here.

>1: What is the type / supertype of underscore methods?
All methods, including those whose names happen to include some underscores, are instances of either the `function` type or the `boundmethod`. Both are subclasses of object.

>2: From what class are the underscore methods inherited?
They're inherited in the usual way. The `object` type, from which all other types inherit, defines only the most essential ones, such as `__instancecheck__` (which backs `isinstance`) and `__hash__`.

Fucking hell mate, do yourself a favour and learn Ruby. You lot are the COBOL programmers of the 2000s.

I learnt Ruby for my job, OP. We were a rails shop, but now I'm going travelling and writing web shit in Sinatra in the meantime. It's absolutely the most beautiful language I've written. Makes Python look like a big pile of shit.

i only know BASIC

I strongly recommend using an auto-indent plugin in whatever editor you use with Ruby. I use "Beautify Ruby" in Sublime. You have to have the rubocop gem installed for it to work. You can configure it to run automatically every time you save the file. And remember to set your editor to 2 space indent and have tabs to spaces on.

So you're used to typing "end". That'll come in handy

its fucking slow as balls and has less support than python and eats ass to write because it's so far up its own ass about objects.

>indents below 8 spaces

literally unreadable

>uses Sublime
Cuck.

Just use a real fucking language that doesn't allocate MB's to perform basic functions.

Ruby programmers are the next victims of workplace automation.

Using a language with a camel mascot whose name isn't pronounced like camel.

ruby is obsoleted by Elixir and crystal

>lainchan dot org
any other good chans that I should know about?

to be honest unicode support in ruby still sucks.

user gives garbage advice.
You don't even know what your program is doing with Elixir. You're writing in a HLL down to an interpreted language.
And Crystal is a meme.

Because karly hates me ;_;

crystal-lang.org/2017/02/24/state-of-crystal-at-0.21.html

Crystal doesn't even have a stable threading model.

8ch
.net/prog/catalog.html

boards
.420chan.org/prog/

Because Racket is better in every way.

>8ch
haha no

Rails > Django

>A nothingpost.
It's a if-you-have-to-ask-then-you-can't-judge thing.
However, as handy example take variable scoping: Ruby has overall sane block scoping. The exception are for-loops but the flaw is that for-loops exist in the first place, as existing alternatives are better anyway. That's a non-issue, since no Ruby programmer uses for-loops.
Python on the other hand has retarded pre-ES6-JS-like variable scoping where only functions and classes instead of every block.
Not only does that suck in a number of cases, it also reveals the design process:
>everything is global in my toy language, bitches
>wait, you need scope in functions or those toy recursions that can't have TCO will suck
>wait you need scope in classes to hold state

>It's a buggy hobbyist mess next to the much younger Crystal.
Nim is what I was referring to when I said, Python has the worse statically typed counterpart. And you are right, of course, Crystal is the better language.

Because I can write easier-to-maintain more-performant rest apis and mvc apps with java and any of a dozen frameworks.

Or, if I'm in the mood to pay the windows tax in order to use a better language, ASP.NET