ITT: Shit GNU/Linux needs to truly replace windows & OSX

ITT: Shit GNU/Linux needs to truly replace windows & OSX

> worthy alternative to adobe CC programs
> Good HiDPI scaling (solus and mint do this very well but most suck shit)

Honestly those are the only two things I can think of to justify not using GNU/Linux

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-onenote/
appimage.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=llBnzrWpa84
youtube.com/watch?v=XoxZemsu7QI
repository.spotify.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gtk

GNOME 3.24 scales for HiDPI without problems.

microsoft office
visual studio

I don't use Linux, do they have an exe equivalent? I remember using Lubuntu 4-5 years ago and having to download some type of file and then having to install it through the terminal because I couldn't just double click it.

Executable installers are an abomination.

LibreOfffice is good enough

VS is bloated garbage and there are already many alternatives.

Remove "everything must open spurce ree" mentality

Your average person doesn't seem to think so. This isn't about what you want, it's about what the mainstream wants.

>do they have an exe equivalent
chmod u+x / source

OH YOU MEANT THE INSTALLSHIELD WIZARD DO YOU WANT TO INSTALL OUR TOOLBAR KEK

effort

linux hasn't replaced commercial OSes because nobody fucking sells linux. Nobody puts it on commercially available computers. Nobody fucking cares.

also

>gaming

They are totally unnecessary on Linux too. We already have appimage and Flatpack which are utterly superior to .exe shit.

If it wasn't for games, I would've switched fully years ago.

As terrible as Steam is, SteamOS is pushing Linux gaming into the mainstream pretty hard, there are tons of Linux compatible games on Steam now.

>solus and mint
solus and mint have nothing to do with desktop environments opinion discarded

It's good thing that gaymers are staying away from Linux.

visual studio is the only way to write c# until rider leaves beta

libreoffice doesn't have onenote for starters

alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-onenote/

More Autodesk software and games. It also needs to come preinstalled on more machines.

> Good HiDPI scaling

Windows10 HiDPI scaling sucks.

For mainstream to catch up with it, it needs to become some sort of trend, like "that hacker software that those really clever guys use"

Stable APIs for desktop apps and games, not just GTK/SDL and pray it works on all systems

printer and (especially) scanner support is still shit

a lot of the software available is "too neckbeard" and the learning curve will scare off normies. the trend to put all the important bits into libraries will help this though - someone wanting normie-friendly shit can take the library for whatever they're doing and wrap it in a new ui

doesn't help that the two main ui toolkits are cancer though

>Good HiDPI scaling
windows dpi scaling is god awful, so not much competition there on the microsoft front

also you forgot

>better game support

anyone who games probably needs windows still

>GNU/Linux

If you downloand a program.deb file, you can use GDebi to install it and it's pretty much an install wizard like in windows, but just one click away

GIMP, Krita, Darktable, RawTherapee, Inkscape, Lightworks, Blender, Audacity, ocenaudio, Ardour, LMMS, Scribus

Someone big like Sony or Samsung has to make an OS. You can hurr durr about how there are too many distros all you want but people wont make the switch unless it's from a big company. The other big thing is games/office/graphics software. It also needs to work without the user even knowing what a console is. Once you get those three things normies might make the switch.

Appimages work similar to apps in osx, you download the archive, extract the appimage to the place you want to have it, and can then run it by doubleclicking:

appimage.org/

I'll take the b8 and reply honestly: Linux is not looking to replace Windows, they're not rivals

I've been using Avidemux in appimage form and it's quite good

WPS Office
Libre Office
Abi Word
Open Office

The reason why Linux exists is that Linus wanted to have an OS that replaces Windows on the desktop. So yes Windows and Linux are rivals and yes, Linux is a desktop OS.

Non of these support references or a good deal of features that academics use.

If you don't have Linux machines in education institutions you'll never win people over. This is why Microsoft practically gives away their cancer to any school/college/university

what Linus wants is irrelevant, he's not in charge of the distros; offering a FOSS alternative is the goal, the way things work now (like security updates, etc) wouldn't be able to hold more users, it's good as it is now

I'm not sure that's true. I imagine Red Hat would like to completely replace Windows Server. Regardless the better OS will inevitably take the crown willingly or not.

the thing is, as a collaborative project between multiple people who do it in their spare time, Linux will always be a fragmented mess that half-works. It's in nobody's interest to go around making it work more easily or fixing bugs because they're used to just getting on anyway. While Microsoft or Apple have a vested interest in making their products just werk, the Linux community adopts the attitude of "if you make it more user friendly then you're ruining it/pandering to casuals" etc. This means that it's never going to have the same reliability and ubiquity that windows and macOS do.

That said, it obviously works much better in certain applications, such as servers and on small devices, and maybe if the community spent less time worrying about which distro is best for anime ricing and more time working on actual usage scenarios then it'd be taken more seriously as a competitor.

The "open source reeee" side of things is never going to go away but being tied to linux holds the whole tihng back, painting the system (in the eyes of the general consumer) as a alternative for neckbeards rather than an equal competitor.

>Non of these support references or a good deal of features that academics use.
Bibtex is the standard tool for that, with LaTeX.

Inb4 law students don't use that. Non-STEM shouldn't even be in academia, make that shit vocational training.

>"if you make it more user friendly then you're ruining it/pandering to casuals"
that's not accurate, usually friendly means adding a bloated UI, so in general the community just wants a simple approach

in 2017, Linux already "just werks", though

SteamOS WAS pushing Linux gaming. Valve's ADD kicked in, they don't give a shit about it anymore.

How long did it take before the Vive was even usable on SteamOS?

not necessarily, you could just make things less of a pain to learn/install. for example, first time i installed linux mint, which is already a very user friendly distro, it took another windows pc to be able to download drivers for my wired ethernet to get it to work, so that i could connect to the internet to then download better drivers for my graphics card/sound etc.

Windows comes pre-installed with drivers that work for almost all hardware and the user is rarely even aware they're being installed. I'm not saying Linux should have the same lack of transparency, of course, but simple user-friendly things like including automatic driver installation in the distro would make a lot more people stick with it for longer.

These days i still have it on a separate boot partition but rarely find a need for it, since there's almost no programs linux has that aren't equal or better on windows. I gave it a good shot but I honestly don't see the point unless you're running a server.
>inb4 someone informs me that i should have installed gentoo
>inb4 i'm told i'm too much of a casual for not sticking with it for months and forcing myself to use it
that attitude is exactly why linux is still a >2% market share. probably less than that if we're only counting desktops.

youtube.com/watch?v=llBnzrWpa84

And that's just one of multiple fancier ways than the builtin one.

>NEET Level Gaming

FTFY

>GNOME 3.24 scales for HiDPI without problems.
No, it doesn't.

It scales but one obvious problem is that it doesn't do it on a per screen basis. Please prove me wrong if you know a way to do this.

I have a 24" 1080p 27" 1440p 27" 1080p setup.

or put another way, 92 pixels per inch, 110 pixels per inch and 82 pixels per inch.

Scaling doesn't work very well when you pretend it's one giant screen at 6400x1440.

>Valve doesnt give a shit anymore

Recently Version 2.0 was released

They are just developing it further before Marketing it again.

>Wayland doesnt have this Problem

> that attitude is exactly why linux is still a >2% market share. probably less than that if we're only counting desktops.
Wat. The ONLY possibility is that you are just counting desktops.

It's definitely more for personal computers (as in including smartphones), servers, embedded in appliances, ... in most of these Linux is one of the biggest or THE biggest thing.

Something to replace that pile of shit Xorg.

A single file package system, no one for each distribution. I blame GNU faggots

I respect your decision, Linux is not for everyone. Debian installation is not trivial, but in the guide it clearly says "if you are going to use wi-fi, add these non-free drivers to the USB", so is the user at fault for not reading that? maybe, but that's why it's for different people.

Not be fragmented into a bunch of different distros that all have different desktop environments, package handeling, and so on
Consistency. All of a sudden gnome changes from one thing to a completely different beast.
Constant new kernels and other shit. Tons of crapware.
It's a mess.

>Shit GNU/Linux needs to truly replace windows & OSX
I don't know, none of the shit listed in this thread has stopped me from replacing Windows on my machines. Everything just works now and it's a pleasure to use my computers again.

is that stan lee

At even when ignoring multi screen issues it still only supports integer scaling factors what makes it basically unusable for typical 4k Desktop monitors

Wayland does support it in theory but there is not a single DE or Window manager that properly handles multi monitor dpi, even with wayland.

Linux is a kernel, nothing bad there... But Stallman and his autistic squad ruined everything

GPL was a mistake.

No it isn't
youtube.com/watch?v=XoxZemsu7QI

budgie and cinnamon
happy?

rider is already usable.
visual studio code is also pretty good
plus you shouldn't write c# anyway, use f#

are you fucking kidding me?
calls himself academic and doesn't use latex, what a joke

Linux doesn't need anything, I like it just as it is.
I've got all the software I need,
I've got more high quality games than I could ever play
and all this for free and I have my freedom

user...

well your average person actually moved towards "appstores", asshat

>including smartphones
I think the guy you were answering to was talking about gnu/linux and not just the kernel

From 95 to 10, I always had to install drivers on Windows. And often update them manually.

OTOH on Linux, I often installed nothing, kernel covered it. At most an easy to install extra "kernel-firmware" package for distros that don't ship it.
Last time I had to install a driver for a wired NIC was over ten years ago or so, and I did use Linux on like 15 computers meanwhile (not all mine, some just needed a backup to a NAS and such).

It needs this and some kind of market force pushing developers to use it (valve disincentivising non-adopters with crappier contracts, making their games less visible on steam or whatever, most likely)
It also needs convenience features, and I'm sorry but executable installers are definitely a part of that. It's fine to have them for mouthbreathers, just don't use them if you aren't a normieuser.

As long as nobody's making money building software for it, it's dead in the water.

And since the whole idea about using linux is about free software, it's never gonna work. Maybe in a communist society or hippie left-wing commune.

Well I'd need a good music library manager, like MusicBee, which would support the following:
>Managing ~50000 songs and more with ease
>Easy creation of playlists, automatic playlists and playlist folders
>Auto-DJ
>Constant monitoring of music library folders
>Last.fm integration (scrobbling and favourites)
>Ability to define custom tags
>Esthetic UI
>Ability to have multiple tabs open
>Ability to set different styles for various views
>Reading .cue files
and, one feature that's not present in MusicBee, but would be very useful
>Splitting .flac files with a .cue file
I tried various music players, and I wasn't satisfied by any of them. At this point I literally turn on my Windows machine to play music while shitposting on my Linux Thinkpad

>solus and mint do this very well but most suck shit
the only reason I use ubuntu is for Unity's god-tier HiDPI scaling

I don't know shit about computers, but when I had Ubuntu installed and I would download an app from the store, like half of them would even open. Needs to be some quality control.

Yeah, that's one of the worst things about linux

>download program
>it has no executable
>google how to install
>oh lol you just need to create a new directory for it and create a shortcut here's how to do it in a terminal
>copy paste into terminal, edit where the file goes to/points to which I hope is correct and hope it works and doesn't fuck anything up

Linux still hasn't figured out how to make installing and organizing programs easy. Even microshit does it better than linux

And I offer a different view plus the correction that he MUST have thought about desktop usage.

If he gets to point out that GNU/Linux has a 2% desktop market share, then I get to point out that desktop Windows has a near 0% market share with the most used (by human time spent on them) + owned (by numbers of devices in active use) personal computers, whereas Linux definitely owns that close to 90%, without even employing monopoly tricks.

And it also sucks on servers. Just about none of the big websites runs on Windows, all the supercomputers do, and for "internal" servers and it's also getting massively worse with the big data / big processing "cloud' infrastructure frameworks making their way into many smaller companies. The thing that works for that is that (GNU/)Linux.

Simply put, Windows is the thing that lost its market share because it is actually quite shit overall. QED.

>GNU/Linux
You mean Systemd/Linux right?

By recently you mean almost a year ago, right? Updating the drivers in your repo doesn't count.

I probably meant Systemd/Xorg/Zsh/Connman/Vim+Nano/Clang/Portage+Paludis/Linux.

In my defense, I only indulged the other user that referred to it as gnu/linux.

>how to install linux:
>I've downloaded a .tar.gz and ran sudo sh install.sh.

Read this sentence linfags

This is more complicated than what 99% of mac and winbros want to deal with

find the time to uncuck your operating system literally whenever, it's only been 30 fucking years

yes

Not being able to see individual pixels is fucking disgusting.

>not cellphone gaming

FTFY

Windows:
> Find program's download page with search engine.
> Find out where website owner was hiding the link to a download. You may have to essentially repeat this step if you get redirected off-site
> Download
> Launch installer
> Click next a few or a lot of times, reading and avoiding any license that will destroy your privacy and / or any checkboxes and dialogs that will install crappy adware and bundled software of various sorts
> At the last next, figure out if you are already launching the program or if you need to launch it from where you just installed the program... or where it MAY have placed shortcuts (desktop, start menu, ...) or not.
> Even when launched, there are programs that sit in quick bar first, don't even open windows. Check task manager if nothing shows up. Maybe it's still loading? Maybe it's not?

Meanwhile on Linux:
> su (Typically enter admin password for privilege escalation to sysadmin. Might also whatever mechanism you have set up - two factor authentication with smart card or usb stick or whatever also works.)
> packagemanger install softwarename
> try softwarename to launch, if binary -as happens very rarely- isn't called like the packagename is, you just ask packagemanager to tell you what the binary was called or read the output from just before

Done five minutes earlier and then updates are easier again.

To be fair, I'm doing almost the same on Windows now with Chocolatey, but it's a pretty shitty slow package manager in comparison. Still four minutes faster on every software install and ten minutes faster on updates, eh.

If the program isn't on the package manager? Or if the package has a weird name?
>find program's wiki with the search engine
>find the package name
>etc

What about these things:

- support for 10k high res 240hz
- support for adobe suite
- fast gui, no laggy dragging interface or stuttering frames
- support for microsoft office suite
- support for maya, sony vegas
- support for all games and emulators such as epsxe
- support for easily modifying settings from gui in just a few clicks instead of dicking around in the terminal and looking up guides for almost every single software you use
- support for not needing to know programming or other stupid computer terms. im not interested in programming.
- when using no gui, directories and file structure using cmd line only is a mess, you basically need to have a good mental map in your mind otherwise you're screwed
- good drivers, video, sound everything
- ability to function perfectly OFFLINE. it needs to be simple to download older software. when all there is, is a stupid repo then all older versions are lost
- it needs to be easy to crack stuff. im not paying 1k for adobe software nigga
- ACCEPTABLE DEFAULTS. It needs to be tweaked to perfection before I get my hands on it. When I do a fresh install, I DONT want to spend 3 days editing config files.

There, that's all they need to do and it will be perfect :D

not in repo
search for repo with search engine
read forums
copy paste repo to terminal
add repo
copy aste apt get
something wrong

>LibreOfffice is good enough

It's really not, if you're a home user, maybe but my nigga, world's businesses runs on office. You wouldn't believe the type of shit people do with excel and how well that thing handles it when LibreOffice just crashes. Excel will handle a file with, say, 50 000 rows quite easily. Same file will literally rape LO, shit won't even open.

nah I'd rather have 1% market share than dumbing everything down for the average retard

and this is why lniux will never go anywher on desktpop

good, let's keep it that way

Honestly, installing software is no big deal. Once its installed youre done. It's not hard to find download links, unless you're a retard. With Linux, older software is lost forever unless you know how to compile crap and it's just wasting time. It makes me feel like I have to sign up or register my email and go through confirmation crap. Extra steps just to do a simple task that is annoying as hell. And honestly, it is pleasant visiting a site and download the software from them. I've never liked repos.

>make Things smarter
>better
>better usability
>less time wasted, hence more effective
>get shit done
>dumbing Down

Also with Linux, you need to update all the time, otherwise you cant download new software. If you update then sometimes it breaks or changes other software. This is why Linux sucks.

You don't know what dumbing down is. Dumbing down means destroying effectiveness in favor of simplicity. If something is simple and a effective its not dumbed down you elitist cactus.

>nah I'd rather have 1% market share than dumbing everything down for the average retard

The point of technology is to drive the growth of productivity. Complexity for complexity's sake is a cargo cult.

> If the program isn't on the package manager?
Then you are generally in the Windows situation where you need to download a package off some web server, by proxy of a search engine result.

The good thing is it happens far more rarely.

> Or if the package has a weird name?
Even if that somehow happens, most package managers can search rather extensive metadata associated with packages.

Or search your favourite bing yahoo thing if you must.

>elitist cactus

oi kekeroni

>driver
>drivers
>edit this file, edit that file
>compile
>gotta compile a New kernel, that should do the trick
>every desktop environement looks like half assed thirld world poop

>./configure
>make
>make install
that's not simple enough for people?

did you check for dependencies first?
kek

> Not in repo
> Alternative repo dead or unmaintained too
Are we discussing some shitty obscure software?

Even then, how is this any different from Windows
> original website down, version offline
> try to find out installer filename on search engine
> try to find source for file on search engine
> get a hundred spambot generated shit websites that only have viruses and spyware with the "right" filename
> ignore these because file size doesn't match
> find download on some file sharing site
> re-attempt "free" download for half an hour with the site always claiming it's too busy and you REALLY should register a pro account
> it downloads, but it has a virus injected in the installer - discard
> repeat with second site, finally get working download
> extract and run, it wasn't featuring an installer at all after all, just a self-extracting zip exe thing
> Beep, needs Windows 95. Move it to VM to run. But then it finally works
Wow, you got obscure piece of Windows software now. So much easier?!

I definitely prefer the Linux mode even when things fail to be easy.

Which they usually don't, because all the common packages tend to be in the package manager of any halfway serious distribution.

>Spotify
>Obscure
sudo apt-add-repository -y "deb repository.spotify.com stable non-free" &&
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys D2C19886 &&
sudo apt-get update -qq &&
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Windows
>download
>install