Should I get this? I'm new to Linux

Should I get this? I'm new to Linux.

Sure, experiment, learn and have some fun with it. If you're not sure, try it in a VM first

yes, in my opinion it's the best desktop distribution of Linux. good default setups and Cinnamon DE is no nonsense and intuitive, just like Windows 7

it's based on Ubuntu's long term service distros which the majority of linux pc's run, so huge community and support.

you'll hear FUD about it because their website got hacked once and they renamed some packages so certain OLD VERSIONS of programs will not work without dicking around.

people will call you a babby but they don't know that Linux is Linux and just because a GUI program exists to change fonts or whatever doesn't mean you can't go edit config files to do the same thing like an autistic weirdo

Yea, it's really easy to pick up and probably the most similar to Windows. If you're a mac user, Ubuntu would look more like what you're uses to but both Mint and Ubuntu are essentially the same thing.

Yes. It's the best. You'll like it if you're coming from Windows.

I haven't used it in years but it was really nice when I did.

Yes, I use this. It is your best bet for things to just work. You can select an option at install time to include things like flash player if you use that.

Forget all the Sup Forums meme distros until you want to spent time figuring out how they work for your own education.

After install remember to run the Firewall Config app and click enable.

Mints the best if you love stability, it's like Windows in a good way (easy HDMI output, simple design, works out of the box), also everything Ubuntu works on it, if you're stuck look up "Ubuntu" related help, because "Mint" may not always have the answer.
You can make it look like Windows XP/7/10

The only bad (for me) is that stable and reliable gets boring.

you seem like a good person

Just run Ubuntu. Mint is what happens when neckbeards think they know more than professional developers and designers, along with some niceties like getting their distro servers hacked on occasion.

Start with plain Ubuntu, you can install any variant desktop from there. Avoid spins they are neckbeard hobby projects.

>flash player
>2017

I am NOT new to linux. I use mint. It works. Get it.

Go for it. I test drove it when I was thinking about switching. I couldn't believe how far Linux had come between now and the last distro I used (Mandrake). I made me unafraid to try other distros on my main machine. I use something else now, but Mint is great.

yeah it's easy to start off with, but if you go with another one called Zorin it'll be just as easy and a lot more enjoyable

Other distros are just as beginner friendly without sacrificing security like Mint does.

Just pick Ubuntu or Fedora. They're better, you can pick out different flavors of desktop enviroments. GNOME3 is pretty intuitive even though it's different from windows, I had 0 problems using it without reading any tutorials or ever getting stuck. If you want something closer to windows then go for XFCE or, if you can spare some extra processing power, KDE.

What? How do I make it look like Windows?? Are you taking classic mode??

You can customize the menus and task bar. There might even be some premade themes.

For those uninformed about how shitty Mint is, here we go:
First of all, unlike basically all other distros, they don't issue Security Advisories, so their users cannot quickly lookup whether they are affected by a certain CVE.

Secondly, they are mixing their own binary packages with the binary packages from both Debian and Ubuntu without even rebuilding the latter - let alone performing QA. This creates something the Debian community calls a "FrankenDebian" which results in system updates being unpredicatable. Because of this, the Mint developers simply descided to blacklist many packages from updates by default, and putting their users at risk due to them not receiving potentially critical security updates.

Thirdly, while they import packages from Ubuntu and Debian, they hi-jack package and file names be re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which they say stands for "Mint Display Manager". Issue is, there is already a package called "mdm" in Debian which is "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting" or something. Regardless because of this the original "mdm" package is impossible to install.
Another example of such a "hi-jack" are their "X apps" which are their forked desktops apps. For example, their editor (which was forked from MATE's 'pluma') which they called "xedit", ignoring the fact that there is already an "xedit" making the old "xedit" unusable because of this name hi-jacking.
Add to this that they don't give to rats ass about copyright infringment, with their pre-installed Oracle Java and Flash and various patended and copyrighted codecs which are not allowed to be freely distributed in western countries, theirfore putting their users at legal risk.

To conclude, I do not think that the Mint developers deliver professional work. Their distro is nothing more then a crude hacky stuffing together of existing Debian-based distros. They make fundemental shitty descisions and mistakes that put their users at risk, both in terms of their computer, and legally.

But at least it has flash support built in which makes it superior to just about every distro (for beginners at least.)

Mint used to be a great distro for beginners. Today there are many distros that are just as easy to use as Mint. But those other distros don't fool the newbie users into making bad .

For the experienced user, the security issues are irrelevent. But novice users should avoid Mint.

tried it, loved it, left win10 and macos and havent looked back

It's good. The problem is you start to wonder what would happen if you were only using 150mb ram at idle and if that software updater would quit running in the background. When that happens you're into the shit and trying to get openbox and tint2 to play nice on debian and start to wonder if linux from scratch is the answer. There will be happiness when there is no desktop folder.

Can't tell if memeing or serious

In other words a classic example of Gallic arrogant disregard for anyone else.
Mint werks - but only because of the cludges.

They also had their site hacked and backdoors placed into their installers.

Several MATE developers were complaining how Mint applications are full on speghetti code, but I've never looked myself. That is one of the reasons the Brisk Menu was created.

Basically, Mint developers are fucking retards. It's why I don't recommend Mint anymore to new users.

install ubuntu MATE

no, this

Not mint related but,
Is there some major difference in installing arch on actual machine and virtual machine, in vm i got till pacstrap part than i got power out will try again today, is it hard after that, and also what is the major difference in installing on actually machine, someone told me look out for boot loader it can fuck up easily.
Someone help

no, this