/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - the best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/multitask/mixed use, R5 if budget

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU - fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050 if ~$105 - drop settings for 60hz if not Freesync/Gsync on many games. RX 560 if discounted.
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, have to drop a few settings
>1060 - outperformed slightly by RX 580; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@120-160+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ REVIEWS on retailer page to see if that cheap SSD/PSU/whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board+case is usually cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is generally wiser than an AIO

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/g9Xsr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/tcCJD8
pcpartpicker.com/product/FVnG3C/patriot-memory-pv432g240c5qk
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854057
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/D4pgyf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was pretty surprised to see that in multithreaded workloads, the 6 cores R5 1600 is actually slightly better than the 6 cores 6800k, didn't think it would be thatway

4k even on older games is unlikely, unless we're talking very very old games.
You might want to get an hard drive on top of that because 500GB might not be enough for your gaming + three os + gaming needs, not sure if the case can accomodate for a 3.5" but you can always look at 2.5" hard drive too

Other than that there's not much to say, it's a pretty good build. Might wanna save money by cracking windows instead

When would you need multiple EPS connectors on a power supply? I see reviews complaining about PSUs that have only one EPS connector. Would that just be for multi cpu boards?

I need a new GPU. What should I get to go with m y current build? Want to stay around $200, give or take $50

What GPU do you currently have?
You could go for an RX 470, it's a decent upgrade but not really that worth the money from what you have. An rx 580 would make more sense, i'm fairly sure you can find those for $230

Anyone else has fluctuating temperature in Ryzen Master from 30C to 40C at idle?(got 1600x)
Or is it reporting from core to core?
Seems weird that it changes every second. Have a feeling I messed up thermal paste, would be a pain to rebuild everything.

Its and AMD Radeon 7850. It has served me well, but I just upgraded my mobo and processor and want to do this next. I am going to sell most of my old build to try and offset the cost.

only one choice in that range right now - rx580

Do you suppose that would get me running newer games on high settings pretty well? That may be a dumb question, I apologize

4k gaming is kind of wishful thinking, yeah. Mostly wondering if the 1050 ti can swing that on something along the lines of Mount & Blade Warband. And I'll take the HDD advice, but so far I've been managing fine on 500 GB dual booting Windows/Ubuntu with a macOS VM. The case holds 2.5" drives.

Any other good and fairly priced slim ITX cases besides Silverstone?

At the moment, it's either the RX 580 8GB or the GTX 1060 6GB. There really aren't other options, unless you happen to find a good deal on a 980Ti.

even at 1440p.

Awesome, thanks muh nerds. I will start looking around for either one of those

Are there any brands that I should avoid?

asus overpriced, and cheaper gigabyte models
you get for amd sapphire or xfx
no idea what is good for nvidia

You're all faggots who couldn't build your way out of a wet paper bag

are you angry because we don't want you as the OP?

Thanks! :D

>Freesync2

4K, freesync 2 and Fat vega are all I need to complete my build. Alas freesync 2 is seemingly nowhere to be seen on any product (iirc none are even announced).

Are Windows 10 keys on Kinguin legit?

will confirm that it's legit; got 10 pro and office home&business recently
BUT you still have to use KMSpico to activate windows
was able to go through the phone activation for office

>create the perfect builds
>/pcbg/ doesn't recognize my talent in part picking

If you have to use a crack to insert a key, it's not a legit key.

im sure your build is great user

to be honest, I probably could have activated it through the phone, but I didn't go through the touchtone instructions correctly and gave up after the first call lol

I'm getting a Corsair 270R and want to put two 140mm fans in the front for intake. Being that the only way for air to come in is through the side grills on the front panel do I get static pressure or airflow fans? Does it matter? I won't be using a radiator.

Is the RX580 Strix (not top) then better compared to the Gigabyte AORUS? I feel like it is based on some research but I want to double check

I'd like to know this as well (but for an S340, similar situation). I'm inclined to say SP since it has to pull in through the sides and through an air filter.

pcpartpicker.com/list/g9Xsr7

I THINK this will be my final build list, but I'm open to suggestions. Yes, the SSD was mainly picked to continue the red/black theme.

Why not 2x4GB?
Dual channel is always great to ahve

Plan to add a second 8GB stick later on for 16GB.

SMT > HT by a lot. Like 30% on average.

12 AMD threads is like having 13.8 Intel threads when it comes to something multithreaded.

You can get an RX570. But your 3570k is going to bottleneck.
Hell, my i5-2500k was bottlenecking my 7970, and the RX570 is at least 70% faster on average.

Um yeah. RX570 will run 99.95% of games maxed at 1080p 60fps+.
The RX580 is even quite good at 1440p, which is why I'd recommend just getting the RX570 as it's already overkill for you but it's very good value.

What did you clock your 2500K to?

Same. :(
I think some Freesync2 will be announced at Computex. I don't know. It'd really suck to not have any this year.

Like I don't even feel I need to upgrade anymore now that I replaced my i5-2500k with a 1600X.
I thought my 7970 was showing age, but it was that my i5-2500k was bottlenecking it (plus a fresh Windows install helped).
I'm getting 50% higher average FPS in most games now, and like 100,000% higher minimum FPS.
The most demanding game I've played lately is For Honor, which still does 60fps on my 7970 in the 1v1 and 2v2 modes which are the only modes I like.
... and this is at 1920x1200, not 1080p.

If Freesync 2 monitors aren't coming out this year, I think I'll just get an RX560 to have a smaller and lower power card. Only bad thing about this 7970 is that they are big and hot.

I see no point in upgrading GPU except for 4K HDR10.

I haven't had it over 4GHz.
Even if I I did put it up to 4.5GHz, it's still a lot worse than the 1600X with the much lower IPC and only 4 threads.

It's too hot to go higher. I live in a warm climate.
My 1600X is cooler than my 45w TDP Haswell i7 laptop CPU.

Just make sure that it's the same speed and has the same timing if you don't get the exact same brand/series next time.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tcCJD8

full time couch gaming rig that would be overclocked and left to perform

Going to get the same exact brand/model so no worries.
No issues other than that? I think it's pretty solid.

>LED RAM
Y tho?
I would get a hard drive too, for bulk files and possibly a local backup. Hitachi has 2TB 7200 rpm drives for like $55 on amazon right now, but they're SATA II speeds, although you're not going to see full bandwidth usage on them anyways.

Most of it's fine. I would get a gold rated psu though, preferably from seasonic. They go on sale every now and then so I'd say look for a deal if you can wait a little.

I need a new psu, I'd like gold efficiency but im not 100% on that if I can save some serious money
Needs to be at least 1000w, yes I know that's a lot but I have a lot of hardware in this computer
Needs to be fully modular
I would like a long warranty if possible
Last thing is it has to be from newegg, I have store credit from a previous RMA.
Looking at the seasonic prime gold 1000w, anything else I could look at for a better price but with similar quality?

4x titan xp, 2 cpus, and 128gb ram? With 10 HDDs?

close, not quite
6 hdd, 2 and soon to be 3 ssd, 8350 overclocked, 16gb of ram, an overclocked fury x and a 480, infiniband card, dual ethernet nic, tv tuner, and then the hand full of fans (2 on cooler and 2 in the case)
it isnt that im doing incredible things with new hardware, its that old amd stuff drinks it like a motherfucker

Are there any 4K 144hz IPS monitors on the market yet?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a 1600X or 1700 to save 200 watts than to buy a 1000w PSU?

I don't think so. 100hz is going to be more likely because I don't think any cables can transfer 4k 144hz at the moment.

for me to switch to a 1600/1700 would cost 400-500 bucks, where right now buying a 1000w power unit costs me no more than 80 since i have credit from the RMA. It makes way more sense, and I'm planning on it later this year, but i need a power supply now and i dont have much money right now due to other expenses
but you're absolutely right

Idk senpai I got my 1600X+cooler+mainboard+32gb of RAM for $400.

You should be able to do a 1600 with 8GB of RAM for $300 without being austitic about savings.
Sure that costs more than a $125 PSU, but it's not wasted money.

When you upgrade you're going to be so out of the realm of efficiency area on that expensive 1000w PSU. Go look at the efficiency curves of those PSUs.

Upgrading CPU is expensive, especially when moving from DDR3 to DDR4. It's a new mobo, new ram, new CPU.

>32gb of RAM for $400
This did not happen, the ram alone is like $300.

How much does having two fans in a ~400g CPU heatsink actually affect the performance in comparison to having just one fan?

gb of RAM for $400
>This did not happen, the ram alone is like $300.
pcpartpicker.com/product/FVnG3C/patriot-memory-pv432g240c5qk

im thinking of downsizing my build to matx, it will cost about $150 for yhe motherboard and case (aud) and is an am3+ build from a few years ago. reckon i should do it or just not?i reckon i could easily sell my case and motherboard (gigabyte 970a chipset and a corsair 300r)

Shouldn't DP 1.3 be able to handle 4K and 144hz?

i know about the efficiency curve, its less about efficieny for me and more about how the unit handles ripple and power delivery, gold units typically fare better in that regard. Beyond that ill take a 5% hit to efficiency to have the ability to not have to get a new unit for a fucking decade regardless of whatever housefires come from amd/intel/nvidia. A 750w unit would have been great for 2 7970s and a 2500k, but it would have failed to supply power for a 4690k and 2 290x, right now shit is really efficient, but looking at how like say volta is looking im not sure how long that's going to continue
also
>1600x+mobo+32gb of ram for 400
unless that ram is slow as piss and on the cheapest b350 board im calling bullshit, even with something like the microcenter deal
and idk senpai i have 100 max to spend on top of the 84.95 on newegg, thats enough for like a 1500x. so i would be left with a system i cant use and a cpu i cant use, so that aint great
this nigga gets it

>spending money on an am3 motherboard when you already have one
No, you shouldn't do it
Save up to upgrade

>am3+
>matx
enjoy living in a box after your house burns down
but seriously dont do it, theres a reason you dont see any matx am3+ builds. the VRM on all the boards can barely handle a 6 core at stock, let alone a 8 core or overclocking
plus, idk prices down in kangarooistan but for that price I would just save up for a cheap b350 and a 1500x

$150 is too measly to upgrade since id need to replace literally every component. replacing the cpu needs a new mobo and ram too, vice verca and all i could use from it would be the psu and tiny hard drive and ssd.

and ram too? i tried selling my computer for $500 at one point and got no interest, any lower just isnt worth it (8350, 7970, 16gb ram, 128ssd). remember thats aud. i get what your saying with the matx mobo, what made them use shitty chipsets?

$220 - 1600X on sale
$48 - Cryorig C1, $60 minus 19% off newegg giftcards
$47 - ab350m pro 4 motherboard, $75 minus 19% off newegg giftcards and $15 mail in rebait
$135 - 2x16GB DDR4. $150 because I bought it back before Ryzen launched knowing it'd go up, and there was a 10% off coupon.
Oh yeah it was like $425.

I overclocked it to 2666. That's fast enough. I'm not much of a gaymurr. I needed 32gb for work.

Not for HDR10. 1.4 at least which just was ratified last year.
1.4 can do HDR10 at 4K 120hz. Not 144.
But yeah. 1.3 can do 4k 120hz as well, but just 8bpc.
Do GPUs being sold now days tend to support 1.3, let alone 1.4?

Well, the 1080ti supports DP 1.4, and you can't really go lower than that if you're aiming for 4K 144hz.

amd had originally planned for the 6 core to be the flagship, the 8350 is an opteron on am3+, it was a last minute thing so most motherboard makers were caught off guard with power delivery that wasnt up to snuff. beyond that too crm design wasn't nearly as good then as now, and most if not all matx were seen as budget boards, so they have the 970 chipset instead of 990fx

fair enough, most of the time on here though you dont get people actually doing work though, catches me off guard.

I have a PC with a a good 7970, i5-2500k, 2x8GB of good RAM. I was going to sell it for $350 except I decided to keep it for a testing box. So yeah, $500 is too much of an ask for yours when you could build it with many NEW parts except for the GPU $65-$85 used for like $400.

not him but breaking it down
used 8350 is max 80
used 7970 is max 120
used 8gb ddr3 is max 30 bucks
used mobo really depends, we'll say 50
and then the case, psu, ssd is worth 100 tops lets say
works out to 380, so 400 would be fair I think.
but then again idk what pricing means in koala land

nice video game consoles itt

>he bought a mac

In the USA, you can get a 7970 or 280 for $65-$85 off ebay. $120 is way overpriced.

I've seen deals for a 8320 AND motherboard together for $80-$90 new. Seen similar for a 8350 and motherboard for not much more.

Sooo uhhh yeah. A PC with a 8350, 16gb of RAM, and 7970, I think you're lucky to get $300-$400 for..

If I build a new budget rig with a g4560, will I not be able to run a hackintosh setup on it due to >kaby lake ?

why do you even reply eith American prices? Australian prices are almost double and dont depreciate that hard, the issue is noone buys second hand pcs at all. plus your not even factoring the other components. an 8350 still costs $180 here btw

Oh I missed the Australia. Yeah I guess $500 AUD makes sense.

>why do you even try to help me after I ask for advice
well fuck you too then, I'm just trying to give a fucking example to maybe help you figure shit out

yeah, 350 usd is 471 aud as a comparison, then you have to account for other factors. i think its more just computers dont sell second hand in Australia. every good deal gets passed up. ill probs just give it to my cousin for his birthday in a year or so.

rx460 or 1050 ti for 1080p accidental gayming? serious question

460. whats accidental gaming mean

i rarely play games but sometimes would like to play modded new vegas for example. would it be a decent choice paired with g4560?

RX460 can be a lot cheaper. But the RX560 tends to be quite a bit better than the 460 since it has more CUs.
Either should be fine for a 2010 game, but the 1050ti is going to be significantly better in Fallout 4 if you play that as well. FO3 is so old that I imagine either is going to do 60+, though.

not interested in fallout 4 and other modern games. thank you for the reply, i understood!

Is G4560 + RX560 most comfy budget build now?

>start receiving parts like CPUs and GPUs
>still stuck choosing a case and monitors

Any mATX cases recs?

Hard to recommend unless you also give the space needed for the GPU and the CPU cooler.

Rosewill SRM-01, Carbide 88r.
idk there is a lot. just start browsing. it's personal preference.

just get a atx case, you dont live in a Japanese miniature apartment.

define c mini exists, you know. the perfect case

That's right, sorry. It needs to fit a GTX 1060 that's almost 300mm long

Thanks I'll check those

Sure, but I'm tired of generic looking cases and I could always use more space anywhere.
There's also issues like noise isolation that's hard to check easily.

core v21

Oh, I was eying this one pretty hard for a while now, but it's a -little- too big. Just a little.

Should I just go for it? Does it retain HDD/fans sounds easily?

I wouldn't mind Fractal Design so much if they got rid of the brushed plastic finishes that just look tacky.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854057

no money left to buy a pc case. is cardboard box good enough?

>have HD7850
>decide to buy new GPU for Rising Storm 2
>don't mind AMD, looking at RX580
>decently priced
>also into gpgpu programming so I kinda want cuda
>mfw GTX1070 is pretty fucking expensive

If only a GTX1060 existed

Is that good enough for 1440p/60Hz?

That's a pretty open design, so I doubt it's a very silent one.

>no money left to buy a pc case. is cardboard box good enough?
yes.
Just don't spill liquid into it and shit.

Why such an overkill GPU? Isn't that game on like UE3? Wouldn't even a 1050Ti or RX560 be fine?
>also into gpgpu programming so I kinda want cuda
Are you sure you're into it much? I'd imagine OpenCL would appeal more. CUDA is garbo proprietary shit. It runs on AMD cards better except for how Nvidia won't allow it to.
Even for 1440p, an RX580 is almost certainly enough for 60fps+ I mean it does like 250+fps at 1440p in CSGO and 60 in lots of pretty newer games.

How loud would 6 hdds be in hot-swap bays compared to Node 304 or 804 pods?

thank for the serious reply because it's true, no case for me for a while. and sorry for the stupidity, but how to turn on the pc without a case power button?

short the power on button with a screw driver, paper clip, or whatever.
Flip the PSU switch to hard power-off if you can't reboot through software, but try to avoid doing that while something is working.

There's also legitimately decent $20 mATX cases like the Rosewill SRM-01.

I'm working on a project for a guy who's quite prominent in the path tracing scene and his path tracers are written in cuda. He says it saves lots and lots of headaches to work in cuda instead of opencl, even though you can technically get the same functionality with both of them. It's a much better designed api.
That's also the area I'm interested in. So I will take all the performance I can reasonably afford. Of course that's a tradeoff with being a poorfag student with a mountain of debt to look forward to.

I've got a couple grand saved and want to pull myself out of the toaster-mire I've spent years being too lazy to remove myself from. Mostly I've always just gotten by with parts passed on to me by my stepbrother who worked retail on computer parts but other than simply cramming them into my case I've never given any mind towards actually picking them for myself.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/D4pgyf

I just wanna be able to play modern games and mess around with animating programs without the whole thing dying after a year or so.

Please tell me how I'm doing everything wrong.

th-thanks, man. there are no rosewills in my shithole country, only ugly zalmans