Can someone explain to me why GNU/Linux or Mac is superior to Windows when it comes to programming?

Can someone explain to me why GNU/Linux or Mac is superior to Windows when it comes to programming?

It isn't.
SAGE

They are all shit

That depends on the language.
If you use a decent language, Windows is just as good (if not better, thanks to Visual Studio).
If you use some kind of shitty meme language, it's slightly harder to set up.

>if not better, thanks to Visual Studio
VS is spyware, no thanks.

It isn't. t. Actual experienced Linux user.

Some people just prefer Linux for the software (like window managers, packaging and shells) or for the benefits of using open source. Software is a tool, know when and how to use all of it.

Unix(-like) environment

anyone can use winows or mcaintosh.

if you learn to program the only benefit is incase you become leet. how will anyone tell you can be better than them ifyou dont use something difficult like linux :&( think about it.

Trivial to download compilers and libraries.
Easier to actually use those libraries.
Shell utilities which are actually useful.
Tools such as Valgrind exist.

This, exactly.

Package managers and the linux/unix shell is awesome ,also the windows subsystem for linux is slow

If that was really true there would be more software for Mac than Windows and more software for Linux than Windows.

>also the windows subsystem for linux is slow
Phoronix benchmark showed some WSL running binaries faster than they do under Linux. Once they fix the IO calls up others should start to be equal to or better than Linux also.

Not at all. Most people use Windows therefore most software is written for Windows.

In jobs like sysadmin they generally prefer people with linux or require someone with avid linux knowledge, i can't say for sure but i saw 3 jobs with requirement of knowledge of linux and one job eligibility criteria even mentioned that they really love linux and people who use it normally.

It's mainly the better command line and packages that contain developer libs.

If you develop Java or Scala, the latter is less significant already, you might have your libs managed by mvn or sbt anyhow.

I mean lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that linux does not have. You have those two buttons in linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Linux and Unix are literally the C operating system.

Non-ASP web dev is all done on Linux or Mac unless you're just still new... you don't generally run a PHP server in production on Windows.

Most people use Linux (on servers, embedded etc.) or Android (personal computers).

Therefore your logic is flawed.

It depends on what you're writing. If you write backend type software or maybe embedded, it's generally going to run on Linux or related anyway and cygwin is a pain in the ass. It's easier just to develop on Linux.

In a world where literally everyone was autistic, you'd be the autist of that world.

2 rupees have been deposited into your account. Thank you.

Also the underage populace here wont remember this, but MSVC++ used to cost thousands per seat.

GNU C/C++ was more standards compliant, free, and not tied to any specific IDE.

It's only within the last 10 years Microsoft has "free as in beer"'d their compilers.

Yea no, you are just factually wrong. The numbers don't check out.

I was talking desktop operating systems, the numbers fully back my statement. You're just further confirming that you're a turbo-autist

No, you were claiming "most people ergo most software".

It's retarded to think you can limit that line of argumentation to the very arbitrary "desktop" definition.

At the very least it'll be "personal computers" when you anchor it with a group of people (private end users). And then it is Android.

Linux has better package managers IMHO. Homebrew on OSX is just kinda clunky, but is getting better. If you are doing any web development OSX isn't bad by any means.

>You install windows 10 in about 45

Takes like 15 on my machine.

Well maybe it's a hardware thing because tested that on my intel core 2 duo and found everything that has to do with wsl to be slow

M.2 drive?

Linux litterally just copies the entire root from the usb to the hard drive and then removes the installer from the hard drive. And runs small tasks.

Windows copies executables,then reboots,runs executables on HDD, reboots,installs some drivers(the "finalizing" part),reboots, setup,if you use windows 10 or 8 installs the apps (and i know because imanaged to make it stop there and see what happens), then desktop

low effort bait

You can begin your day by fixing sound drivers because Pacman broke everything again and it's a good warmup before actual work.

I use it because it is harder to play games on loonix