Daily reminder that Microsoft has won the design game with Fluent:

Daily reminder that Microsoft has won the design game with Fluent:
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/taking-a-closer-look-at-microsofts-fluent-design-system/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nbJy0O4UFSM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I love the concepts, but they won't implement it consistently across the whole system. And then there's a fuckton of third-party programs and some of them will forever look like they belong in 1995 and MS can't shit about it.

>And then there's a fuckton of third-party programs and some of them will forever look like they belong in 1995
That's why they replace Win32 applications with UWP.

The problem is getting third-party Windows developers to adopt it.

As a linux user what is a third party developer?

It's a developer not directly involved with the team that maintains your distro.

POO IN THE LOO

>has won the design game of retarded designers

just looks like macos

Short-lived fad... like the desktop cubes & wobbly windows Linux had 5 years ago

Imagine it this way: Your mom and dad are happy together. Suddenly a black men enters the room and works on your mom. He is the third party developer. What tried to say is, that it is kinda hard to find a black men that wants to work on your mom.

Apple is still leading the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=nbJy0O4UFSM

1. it looks like utter shit, cold and soulless
2. I would rather it would look like win95 if they focus on fixing the million bugs and compatibility issues

>depth
y tho

>nobody will ever surpass Aero
>retarded designers will keep chasing the minimalism trend until every program is white on white with white accents and white text

i like minimalism because i dont like my applications trying to pretend to be made of chrome and plastic and be all shiny.

i fucking hated how aero tried to look like my computer was made of metal and glass.

>OS X Snow Leopard
>macOS Sierra
>Windows 7

These are the only good looking and functional operating systems. Please don't mention Linux. They will never be able to have decent looking fonts even, never mind the rest.

Classic grey style is GOAT. Fuck M$ for removing it.

>i fucking hated how aero tried to look like my computer was made of metal and glass.
that's what your computer is made of you tard
>too young to use XP

>OS X Snow Leopard
>macOS Sierra
Look it up, looks like pure cancer.

This reminds me of Luna

>Windows 10
>1/3 the software uses this
>1/3 the software is Metro
>1/3 the software looks like it has since Windows XP
End result: ugly as sin clusterfuck OS

>that's what your computer is made of you tard
nothing displayed on the monitor is real tard
do you really think the glass windows in aero are really bits of glass floating in your computer? is your taskbar really a physical bar built into your monitor?

im praying they find a way to force it onto all applications that dont have a custom window border.

might look like shit at first but once developers notice their shit is being defaulted to this theyll start working with it instead of against it.

XP is functional, but not as good looking as the others I listed. An OS needs to be both, its something you use all the time so it needs to be nice to look at.

>XP
>good
95 is the best Windows.

THIS
H
I
S

to me this seems very pretentious

>Please don't mention Linux. They will never be able to have decent looking fonts even, never mind the rest.
>knows you can customize linux to look literally any way you want
>tries to cover it up with FAKE NEWS

dont you have a country to run?
some russians to meet?

Stop using obsolete software.

>you can pick from 600 disgusting fonts

Why did you shoehorn some Sup Forums spergery here? We're talking about operating systems, don't you know how fragile Sup Forums thread attention spans and topic adherence are?

Looks like Apple/Gnome shit
Windows making itself even less relevant.

>third-party programs and some of them will forever look like they belong in 1995
Back when white people wrote software instead of indians and homosexual designers?

Good, at least some software will remain usable.

dyk that less than 5% of Indian engineer grads can implement a basic program correctly? We should import more of these "genius" H1B foreigners.

Damn, I miss Mac OS9.

M$'s material design

>I like minimalism because I'm autistic and don't like nice things
>Paintings are stupid because they try to make canvas look like something else

Why does it have to be such an ugly grey

I don't know where people fimd horrible font rendering on Linux, I've never seen this.

>he doesnt know you can install new fonts

They are literally chasing the 90's, but with less readable fonts and layouts meant for tablets and 8k displays.

>implying
paintings have no functional purpose. My computer does.

If anything, minimalist designs support artwork used for my wallpaper by being less distracting. less visual noise.

A cool, rainy forest shot doesnt mix well with industrial metal and glass UI, but it certainly does fine with minimalism since minimalism does nothing to distract from the focus.

You can have nice things without trying to cram visual clutter into every aspect of your GUI. i dont need or want fake glass reflections or metal shading on my GUI. my GUI should not be the focus of anything. It should be tucked away and out of mind until i need it so that the focus is on the subject, rather than the GUI. That's what minimalism is for.

Kek. Can someone copy this into the urban dictionary?

so, are these bullshots, or is this how holographic will look?

will you be able to use the holographic interface on a 2d screen?

>look it up

Do you think I just named random shit I've never seen before or something you dumb cunt? I clearly know what those two operating systems look like, I don't need to look anything up.

So I guess you could say Linux is an [spoiler]open relationship[/spoiler]

its ok on a tablet but it lacks data density on a desktop.

>Back when white people wrote software instead of indians and homosexual designers?

I want the Sup Forums cancer to leave.

>A cool, rainy forest shot doesnt mix well with industrial metal and glass UI

no taste detected

>that song

they were alll about the homo market since the beginning

one thing gnu/linux has is the best font rendering of all the OS's that's not arguable

People talking about "design" are artfags who know nothing about technology, trying to tell us how to use technology.

You picked Linux's well known biggest complaint and tried to tout it as its strongest point, are you mentally retarded?

>a bunch of words that dont mean anything and an ui that already looks like shit
and it will still be fragmented

nobody ever complains about that, idiot

the biggest complaint is no gaymen. the second biggest is adobe, the third is file picker is shit

stop trying to get your autism in this thread, it won't work

>tfw Aero never ever
What a shitty timeline

Plan9 was 10/10 but we need something 15/10, something where everything is made of graphics primitives (where everything can effectively at any time be dumped to postscript / svg).

This would ultimately solve the multiple screens with different DPI problem. The only issue would then be games which want pixels, but I guess we can just let GLs solve that somehow.

Rio was nice though, but I think that we need something better than rio.

I want Redditor spics to leave, which will happen once you get deported since Mexico barely has DSL.

We use white-man operating systems here.

This gonna use a ton shit ass of graphic memory to run it.
also why do we need it? its not like W10 werent just a skin over w7/XP system

>like the flat design of 95/98
>XP comes along with fancy colours
>didn't like it
>Vista
>everything is round and glossy
>looks like shit
>7
>looks better because it's less round and glossy
>8 and beyond
>flat and beautiful

Full circle, friend.

I don't get where this bullshit comes from. I've never used OSX so I can't compare it to that but windows (XP through to 10, and I use a 7 machine at work every day) absolutely fails at font rendering on every conceivable level.

First off: clear type is nonsense, sure things look better but no matter what you pick, things are still blurry, you can't force proper hinting which means that vertical parts of outline fonts sometimes spread across two pixels and look grey. When I ask for black fonts I want black fonts, and at a certain size they have no excuse occupying 1.5 pixels worth of space.

The configuration you get is immense, if you're a font snob you get to decide exactly which font to fall back on for kanji and exactly when to switch from bitmap kanji to anti-aliased, lcdfiltered, rgb subpixel hinted fonts.

One thing I notice is people who complain about linux fonts have lcddefault lcdfilter and have their fontconfig truetype interpreter set to version 40, you want classic version 35 for best results. Export FT2_SUBPIXEL_HINTING=0 for that. (Arch provides an alternative method, edit /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh and set FREETYPE_PROPERTIES to truetype:interpreter-version=35. And use the lcdlegacy lcd filter. (Oh, and make sure you actually enable all this shit...)

You will get stunning results which blow the windows clear type shit out of the water (image related).

You see, here's the thing... they can't replace Win32 without pissing off their business partners. They're stuck with it until the sun burns out.

That's what Windows S is about.

Win32 will be relegated to Windows Enterprise only, and then not even that. The death of the desktop OS in favor of their tablet phone OS is their endgoal.

What are you talking about? GNU/Linux font rendering beats Windows on every single system. Even W10 still looks like shit. They've had like, what, 30 fucking years now as a company, and they still can't master font-rendering? What's up with that? Hello, GNU/Linux is open-source, just copy whatever they're doing to get font rendering because it's better than your shit, Microsoft

>third is file picker is shit
Redhat will never EVER get their GTK devs to fix this. It's like they took over Gnome and GTK just to ensure that it never improves.

>letters deformed by hinting
>shit keming ("R eply t o Thre ad")
>color fringing (most apparent on the captcha)
3/10, would prefer not to look at for 8 hours a day

it's not hard to get better font rendering on linux than on windows because the latter is exceptionally shit at it. both are way inferior to macos though.

> Complains about non-existent deformation.
> Complains about insignificant kerning issue on bold fonts which I'm too lazy to fix by disabling full hinting on bold fonts since they don't need it.
> Complains about google's retarded choice of font size causing issues at low DPI.

Still infinitely better than windows clear shite which means it can't possibly be "the biggest complaint" unless everyone complaining is a complete mong.

I did say I had no idea how OSX compares, so feel free to show me and enlighten me as to how OSX looks at 96 DPI (yes 96 DPI).

>And then there's a fuckton of third-party programs and some of them will forever look like they belong in 1995 and MS can't shit about it.
Not a problem when they only allow approved 3rd party UWP applications through the MS store :^)

>this shit
>good

lel

>8, 8.1, 10
>So beautiful they lose marketshare to Windows 7

Give it up pajeet, nobody like the UI you made in powerpoint

>strawmanning in attempt to win argument

Petty.

>not knowing what straw manning means

POOO

>Complains about non-existent deformation.
you have full hinting enabled, of course it's deformed
>Complains about google's retarded choice of font size causing issues at low DPI.
works on my machine (arch)

terrorism

Too bad they have been last on user-friendly UX/UI design since win8.

You say that as if windows95 aesthetic is a bad thing

1985: We have a GUI too!
1990: Let's make the GUI usable
1995: Let's make everything user-friendly
2001: Let's make everything cartoony
2003: let's make everything a e r o with over-the-top effects (alpha)
2006: aero 1.0 (beta)
2009: aero 2.0 (final)
2012: let's make every PC into tablets, and since they are flat let's make the GUI like that too
2015: fuck it all and let's make everything into a slightly working botnet (eternal beta)

What about Windows scaling guys?

I have a 4k monitor and Windows feels like a beta due to how many bugs there are with scaling. I can't help but wonder if anyone at MS themselves uses 4k, because if they do, why don't they fix this shit?

This is supposed to be the leading OS. When a macbook does 4k better you know something is weird.

>This is supposed to be the leading OS.
lol

< peak UI aesthetics right here
modern day operating systems are the degenerate niggerfaggot children of this

Me likey.

Can't wait to see how they apply this to about a third of Windows and leave the rest in any of several older design styles.

In the buissness world Microsoft is the go to because they have always been and must always be reverse compatible.

Look at the shit fit when they something like old OS's wont support some of the features of this old chip.

reminds of compiz qube gimmicks from 2008

Can't argue with that.

Did IRIX end up using openstep as well?

Looks bang-on.

dumb frogposter

>implying design has anything to do with it

I am very much aware of what a straw man argument is.

I honestly prefer unity 8

Whoa, nice tablet friend.

I'm tired of these meme design "systems". Just make a normal good looking UI without all the memes

what???
windows 10 didnt have classic option??

That looks like shit

>macos without Fisher Price icons
yessss

that is so ugly

That looks amazing

STFU luddite

>shit new redesign
>ransomware
Windows is DEAD
This is the year of Linux on the desktop

That looks blurry and ugly.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

When was the last time a M$ concept ever got off the ground anyway.

You have no taste in fonts.

doesn't look anything like macos, tard

Dissapointed Sup Forums hasn't done a WannaCry UI that follows the Fluent Design System (TM)