/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/
wiki.winehq.org/3D_Driver_Issues
youtu.be/jUibaPTXSHk?t=134
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
github.com/DmitryHetman/gentoofetch
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6bf78x/i_named_my_daughter_linux/
makeuseof.com/tag/im-longer-buying-games-steam-opinion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Android/Linux.

first for MPV, youtube-dl and web browsers

Play YouTube videos (or audio) with 2 clicks?

>Video
cp /usr/share/applications/mpv.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/mpvv.desktop

Exec=mpv --ytdl-format="bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][vcodec!=vp8.0][height128]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][vcodec!=vp8.0][height128]/bestaudio" --no-cache --no-sub-auto --no-stop-screensaver --script-opts=osc-visibility=always --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui --external-file="$(youtube-dl --get-thumbnail "$(sselp)")" --autofit-smaller=960x480 -- "$(sselp)"

>Download music?
cp /usr/share/applications/mpv.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/mpvd.desktop

Exec=st -g 100x20 -e youtube-dl -xf "bestaudio[abr>128]/bestaudio" -o '~/Music/%(title)s.%(ext)s' "$(sselp)"

Add to your panel(s)
>Copy Link Location
and click

>Icon=
- icons/breeze/actions/22/ im-youtube.svg kdenlive-show-video.svg
- icons/breeze/places/22/ folder-download.svg folder-music.svg

st.suckless.org
tools.suckless.org/x/sselp

I fell for the solus meme.

>Budgie is super comfy
>All my software works perfect
>Pretty decent package manager
>One of the few distros trying to change shit up

Now that grsec is kill how can Arch into security?

>arch
>security
pick one

>check to see if Debian 9 is out
>it isn't
I used to like Debian but I gotta say I'm an #Archer now

install gentoo

What's a good Distro for a toaster laptop (Intel GM 940) without systemd? No Gentoo because compiling programs on this would take a while.

>without systemd
oh boy

anything with something like openbox + tint2 really

I've had this annoying problem with debian for a while now. Once I install the nvidia drivers, it seems it can't read my screens properly and shows them as 'unknown display' which can only go up to 1360x768 even though they're both Full HD screens.

I think this problem is that for some reason X can't read the EDID from my monitors. Trying to do read-edid always results in errors. A solution I found was to go into windows, get the edid and dump it, then load the into linux and for X to use the new edids. This fixed the issue, but I'm wondering if there's a better way?

>No Gentoo
Void with a lightweight WM is the obvious choice.

>without systemd
There are actually retards who believe the "systems a botnet" meme? Jesus christ.

Solidworks, After Effects, and Premiere are all classed as "Garbage" by the Wine DB. Does anyone know if they can be made to run properly despite this? These are the only things that prevent me from being able to switch back to Linux.

Stop trying to run nonfree garbage. Problem solved.

this sounds like a dumb question but why does building a package with yaourt consume disk space (like more diskspace than the package)

Idk. The surefire method, if you have enough RAM and an iGPU+dedicated is to run a VM with gnu/linux host, windows guest, and gpu passthrough.

If you're spending all your time in a Windows VM, you might as well just run Windows and avoid the overhead, especially for demanding applications like that.

>why does building a package with yaourt consume disk space

yaourt is building from source, it has to pull the source from github/svn/launchpad this takes up space in your /tmp/ directory by default.

>just run Windows
Friendly thread.

those require gpu accl so even if they worked with wine you'd most likely need non free drivers in the least
the only possile answer is qemu vm but it's tricky and not quaranteed, pleasant reading redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/

>those require gpu accl so even if they worked with wine you'd most likely need non free drivers in the least
wiki.winehq.org/3D_Driver_Issues

I run some CentOS servers but I figure i could bring some linux home and give arch a 10gb partition on my laptop alongside my main windows machine. I'm a humble minimal guy whos fine with just having a 100% terminal-based linux OS and using screen for "multi-tasking".
Wish me luck

GNU/Linux*

p-please wish me luck....

What kind of MMO's can I play on Linux? I'm a MMO junkie currently playing FFXIV and it's really the only type of video game that I actually play.

it's already a mistake to suggest even running it in a VM

what is a good, extensible music player that can read metadata and sort records by artist and/or by record if various artists

Why is he so autistic in interviews lol
youtu.be/jUibaPTXSHk?t=134

This malicious code infected my Arch system!

>she thinks normal people can be smart

>she

Im a dude

Clementine

What did you even mean by this post

My god why is that commie fuck still alive

Who else /wayland/ here? I'm using Wayland with GNOME as my main DE now and everything works incredibly well. Even optirun/bumblebee works, and xwayland only has about a 5% performance cost. It seems like every gtk and qt program is running on wayland natively for me (because xprop doesn't see them). That said, there are quite a few programs not native on Wayland, namely a web browser and wine. Is Firefox going to get native Wayland soon? I also hope that wine eventually works without XWayland.

LINUX is obsolete.

>youtuble-dl
>not using superior mpsyt

Superior in what regard

I used it for a while and I couldn't really get what I wanted, which was decent performance. I always complained about Gnome being kind of sluggish and people kept telling me "just wait for wayland". And sure I might not have so many issues with tearing now, but some animations still feel like shit.

If you exclude Gentoo there's Void. Works perfectly.

I've always had intense lag on some animations, especially pressing super to view overview. (I'm on Intel sky lake integrated graphics). After switching to Wayland, and removing xf86-video-intel, everything is much more fluid. I'm not sure which was responsible.

Best Wayland terminal emulator? I don't need any special features, just easy enough to set font and colour scheme. To my knowledge gnome-terminal is the only native one..

good luck

I wish ill will upon you

friendly reminder to fix your fonts if you're using new freetype
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221

Arch,

What are you talking about.

If I use GNU/Linux am I required to eat a piece of my foot

only if you speak infront of people

..?

how much space do I need for linux?

Any pdf readers which support the same or similar formats as SumatraPDF?
Specifically EPUB, PDF and DJVU.

As of version 4.11.1 you need at least 91.1 MB of free space :-)

Have a notebook i7 gen 2, want to get rid of the OS and all my files permanently and install a Linux, any tips besides the description?

I would recommend you install the Xubuntu GNU/Linux distribution

How does literally everyone on this board run a system with less than a thousand packages? No matter which distribution I'm using (Void, Arch, Debian Netinstall, Ubuntu Minimal) I always get to two thousand slowly after reinstall just by installing all the software I absolutely need.

Does the board literally just stare at their screenfetch all day?

mupdf

>Does the board literally just stare at their screenfetch all day?
Yes

What's your preferred toejam seasoning? I'm taking suggestions.

So, I'm having a little issue with herbslutwm.. how do you do transparency with the borders? I mean, transparent gaps like on i3. If I set an hex with transparency it just goes black. Is there a setting to disable borders and use gaps?

>Does the board literally just stare at their neofetch all day?
FTFY, but yes.

>Xubuntu GNU/Linux distribution
Should I format my hdd more than once so nobody can retrieve any of the files afterwards?

No, formating won't make the files any less recoverable. What you can do however is fully encrypt the disk using the Xubuntu installer. There is a built in option to do so.

depeds. if you do something like about a gig. if you choose the regular isos about 5 gigs maybe?

djview

>No wayland support in 2017
Oh shit. I was best reader for X11.org

Hello Dmitry, how are you doing today? :-)

Instal Gentoo, becouse it's fast and I wrote gentoofetch for it.

I've been bamboozled by ccleaner then.

Well I think what CCleaner is doing is overwriting free space a certain number of times to thwart data recovery. I think this is different from simply formatting.

Is gentoofetch free

Just fine!
How are you?
Could you test my script?
github.com/DmitryHetman/gentoofetch

Yes, it's distributed under GPLv3 license.

I have books that are forbidden in my country at the hdd, I'll be traveling soon and will need to leave it at maintenance because of a battery feed problem.
Reason I asked.

OK, I see. You want to secure the data on your HDD? That can be done easily, and should be done!

Much obliged.

I'm doing well. Sorry no I cannot, I am not running Gentoo on my machine.

>forbidden books
Tell me more, what country/what books? That sounds pretty authoritarian and creepy.

Setting up an encrypted filesystem and filling it will overwrite the HDD with gibberish and thwart any attempt to retrieve old data, but there's a faster way to achieve that that you can do right now.

Shred can overwrite files with random data or zeroes before deleting, thus making them unrecoverable.

Boot from some liveCD/USB, install shred if not already installed. Run and read man shred, then run shred on your files to be deleted. There are probably similar programs for your current OS, but keeping you out of jail is one of many things you shouldn't trust proprietary software with.

If, say, you decided that you want to keep those books in a newly-made encrypted volume (if your country can't legally force you to decrypt your data, or you can provide plausible deniability), you'll still need to copy them somewhere else while you format and encrypt your HDD; run shred on those temporary copies then.

I'm simply not hoarding packages I might want to use at some point or might come in handy some day. Cleaning up old stuff I used about once or twice ages ago but do not now helps too.

At some point I started to notice that many people, mostly normies, treat their systems like their personal spaces. If they're hoarding and have tendencies of being messies in real life, they do the same shit with their systems too. Their desktop looks exactly like the top of their desk.

Okay, fixed. hc set window_gap 10

Damn though, trying to learn how to use tiling properly and it's kind of different from i3.

Run it on your distro, most functions will work!

And then there is this guy: reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6bf78x/i_named_my_daughter_linux/

xfs, ext4 or btrfs? I don't really care about btrfs features. I just want performance+stability on a single drive, no RAID.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I started using xfs because I grew tired of ext3/4's periodic fscks which took ages. On one occasion I accidentally powered off the system while it was asking for the encryption password at boot, and had to boot from USB and fsck it - I've had no other problems.

I can't tell you about performance, though. I don't even use fancy HDDs.

>unity announced to be dead
>days later
>how can I make my de look like unity?
>unity is the best de
>unity!!!
the heck is going on with people

well, turns out while being shit it didn't look that shit and had one or two usability features that weren't shit either.

hipstery

Is it possible to link multiple directories to one disk?
For example I have two ssd-s
I want /home to be ssd1
But /home/foo and /home/bar to be ssd2
But without making some ./foobar directory to mount ssd2 on

stop using steam
makeuseof.com/tag/im-longer-buying-games-steam-opinion/

Linking /home/foo to /home/ perhaps?

man ln?

You can just mount the 2'nd ssd to /home/foo and /home/bar i think.

If not, you could try linking the /home/foo&bar directories to the mount point of the 2'nd ssd (make directiories in it corresponding the foo & bar names ofc)

No.

kek, literally slavery

There are two kinds of people on Sup Forums.

When anything is introduced, half of people will like something and half will dislike. At this stage, you can't tell the smarts from the dumbs.

There are 2 kinds of dumbs. Dumbs that go with the flow mindlessly, and dumbs that go against the flow, mindlessly (also known as hipsters.

When something's popularity changes, dumbs will flip their opinion and smarts will stay with their original opinion. You can derive the smart to dumb ratio from the discrepancy between flips to stays. Sup Forums's smart to dumb ratio is poor.

Is there a way to manually log messages to the system log?

man logger

Use 'logger'.

try logger

logger