/mbtg/ - multi-boot general

Discuss multi-boot configuration, partition/disk layouts and ideas. Also, general thread on partitioning, filesystems, storage device standards. Stories about past experiences with disks, partitioning, filesystems, bootloaders, and multi-booting are also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?147959-How-to-install-and-boot-145-operating-systems-in-a-PC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a rMBP memebook that has a 120gb ssd so no room for other partitions other than OSX, but I installed rEfind on it and can boot to persistent linux usb's which is very convenient

what the fuck is the point of this general

My 2011 256gb MBA has grub / 200 for debian / 50 for win / 6 swap

On my main i7 server i have a 5 x 128gb ssds i got for free a few years ago and refrain from partitioning ... I just use the whole drive for all my OS experiments and plug them in and out and boot them by pressing f11 at boot. Too much go wrong IMHO.... Will never forget win 10 tech preview nuking GRUB on multiple drives when i tested it years ago....

Why there's no Haiku partition on OP's pic ?

512 GB SSD

partitioned in:
50 GB windows + windows programs
30 GB gnu/linux
32 GB swap
400 GB user files

good? no good/why not good?

The fuck you need this much swap for?

250gb Cuckdows UEFI partition scheme + a single partition with LUKS container, LVM inside, separated to / /home /var /tmp with appropriate fstab mount options, LUKS key on a separate USB key together with signed kernel. Secure boot enabled for both (self-signed key used to sing kernel was uploaded to PK chain)

>not using a swap file

250GB SSD
250GB ext4 - gnu/linux

1TB HDD
215GB ntfs - windows + windows programs + some NTFS only games
16GB swap
775GB exfat - user files

Add "General" to your thread and some autists will keep it going forever when it should die.

this thread sucks. saged.

>low res pic
>running multiple distros for NO reason at all
>windows
>"hey mom, im a hacker" kali user
>fragmented af disk
Are u fucking serius???? fuck off back to Sup Forums

Probably still abiding by the old rule of "make a swap partition at least the size of your RAM, even better twice the RAM".

Please refrain from making such stupid general ever again and read a book instead asshole. Also what said, you clearly are a poser if you're installing OSes in 50GB partitions.
>next comes a general about how to tie your tie

It's not even my pic. It's from some Indian guy's Youtube video that's only available in like 360p. That was one of the first images that kinda illustrated the point of the thread (i.e. booting many OSes natively).

>running multiple distros for NO reason at all
>no reason
>implying

Apparently there is a reason. Are you one of these neo-Sup Forums fags who claim that more than one partition per physical drive is obsolete, and that actually using a bootloader's capabilities (rather than let it silently boot the only OS on the computer) is "dirty hacks" (literal quote)?

>kali

Yea, shouldn't be installed to HDD really, but then again in a multiboot situation why not if you can spare the 10 gigs or so for it. Again, it's someone else's picture.

This was a reply to btw.

Another neo-Sup Forums who can't into bootloaders and makes one partition spanning the whole drive? I suppose LVM would make your head explode.

>you clearly are a poser if you're installing OSes in 50GB partitions.

Just 50? I am disappoint.
forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?147959-How-to-install-and-boot-145-operating-systems-in-a-PC

>5 x 128gb ssds i got for free a few years ago
Where can I apply for free SSDs?

200 MB partition for /boot because muh full disk encryption
900 GB encrypted partition with 2 lvm partitions, a 70 GB one for the OS (debian testing), and a 830 GB one for my data
100 GB windows partition (unencrypted, since I only use it to play pirated games when I get the urge to play something like twice a year)
I back my data up with rsync and my debian install with dd to an 1TB external HDD.
In the past, I used to have a 30 GB partition for linux, a 100 GB one for windows, and the rest was for data, formatted with NTFS so that I could access my shit from both operating systems.

>Will never forget win 10 tech preview nuking GRUB on multiple drives when i tested it years ago....

You can avoid this by having a master GRUB on a separate small partition which you use to chainload bootloaders of the other OSes. Rather than installing GRUB to the MBR, you install it to the VBR of the paritition, while in the MBR you keep a simple DOS/Windows MBR IPL which just finds the active partition (in this regard, the DOS MBR actually adheres more to the UNIX philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well).

Nice configs, thanks for the input.

>bootloaders, how do they work?
>can't into multibooting
>muh sour grapes

If this topic isn't of your interest, why not just stay out rather than throwing pointless tantrums like a retard?

This btw is the main concept behind what the guy from 's link did - he pushed it to extremes that surely nobody would need in any practical situation, but it's still quite badass to have a GRUB menu that spans 145 entries each booting a different natively installed OS.

32 GB swap may be a bit excessive (unless you have 32 GB of physical RAM and want to hibernate).

50 GB for windows should be OK if you don't install huge programs like modern games and such (hopefully it's not windows 10 where updates can consume riduculous amounts of disk space). Keeping a OS volume compact is a good way to avoid system files dispersing over a large chunk of the disk over time due to fragmentation.

30 GB is plenty for any distro, with the most notable exception of /home which might grow very large depending on what personal data you keep there (theoretically dirs like /var or /temp could grow stupidly large too but that's only in some weird and silly corner cases).

>he fell for the partitions jew
just buy drives for each OS, easier that way.

>too dumb to configure and use a bootloader
>gotta use system firmware instead to select whole drives
>he fell for the hdd/ssd jew, shelling money out on multiple drives that all take up space, consume power, create heat
>"hurr he fell for the partitions jew"

How is anyone jewed by paritioning the space on a large drive as they see fit? Not having a home where literally everything is in the same fucking room is "falling for the room jew"?

>If this topic isn't of your interest, why not just stay out rather than throwing pointless tantrums like a retard?
Because we don't need another stupid general about something so basic that you can look up everything you need to know in a while.

>the baby needs LVM
Thanks for proving my point; that this thread is for incompetent retards who can't into basic stuff. I'll let you know that I run FreeBSD in dangerously dedicated mode with 8 different partitions for different stuff, and that I even keep /tmp/ in a separate unbootable one. My whole installation spans 8TB and I'm 38% full; If you're installing distros in 50GB you're not doing anything at all but distro hopping and being a retard who needs LVM to set up his OS. Stop this retarded general and never make it again dumbasses, it's not as if there was a regular flow of new information on the topic and the mere fact that the OP disregarded that shows how little thought went into the creation of this general.