Windows fag here, been wondering why Linux is superior if Windows supports everything anyways

Windows fag here, been wondering why Linux is superior if Windows supports everything anyways,

Redpill me cunts

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems#linux-low-audio-quality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install gentoo

linux doesn't have ads and it respects your privacy

Concepts like file systems, system updates, package management, etc are all miles ahead of windows.

It doesn't take 5 hours to install updates
Doesn't start to bloat unless you bloat it yourself
Doesn't have ads on the desktop
Doesn't have backdoors in the default crypto
Supports encrypted LVM
Runs pajeet languages faster
You can rice it more
You never have to reboot it
Doesn't spy on you by default depending on distro

current version of windows doesn't support my old printer, linux does. Therefore your statement is incorrect.

Okay but software compatibility ? I mean that's a huge deal.

It's not. Linux was superior maybe 15-20 years ago when hardware was for the most part open and Windows was a piece of shit that ran on top of DOS. Nowadays, hardware is proprietary, most drivers are written specifically for Windows leaving Linux support either an afterthought with little effort put in, or zero though leaving nerds to reverse engineer drivers, which usually takes several years to get right leaving your hardware our of date. Virtualization is available in many different forms. Windows now has an active Linux subsystem in development. In 2017 there is literally no reason to run Linux.

how do i rice windows 10 like that?

That isn't up to the developers of Linux itself but the devs of the 3rd party software.

What software do you want to run?
You can do anything apart from gaymes on Linux.

Yeah there is reason, multiple reasons in fact. One often mentioned reason is privacy, but there are technical differences too, even though Windows now has some Linux compatibility it is hardly POSIX, meaning the UNIX way of doing things won't work on it. And if you are a developer or simply someone who likes his shit organized logically, that matters. In Linux there are no ridiculous out of place things like rendering scroll-bars in kernel.

Rainmeter

Window's interface is shit, not easy to create scripts to automate whatever like in Linux, a lot of despicable babby garbage in windows, no package manager

Linux is diverging further from POSIX compliance every year. It's turning into a free Windows clone with less support and you're too stupid to see it happening.

also lol
>rendering scroll-bars in kernel.

That makes a lot of sense thank you.

Well the usual stuff and... games. I guess it's a no-go then

That's exactly my point, I feel like most softwares don't even bother creating a Linux version and if they do I feel like it would be some secondary plan for the devs who would focus on updating the windows version of the software.

>Redpill me
no

It's not arch though

The one thing Linux has going for it is POSIX without it, it would be BSD's which would be the mainstream Unixlike OS. So it will retain POSIX compatibility as long as it wants to be relevant.

>You never have to reboot it
that's not quite true

So send your print requests from Windows to a Raspberry Pi to the printer.

Window's interface might be shit but I've been using it for years and never had a problem or felt like it lacked features. I can use it fairly easily and it works, isn't this the most important ? Maybe in Linux you can make scripts like you said but I don't even think I'd be using them.

are your terminal gay?

Such edge

Current version of Windows supports my printer just fine because Canon supplied the drivers for it. Linux requires a package called cups-bjnp to use its proprietary USB over IP protocol. The package was reverse engineered and has multiple problems. I still haven't figured out how to get the scanner to work consistently.

>That font rendering

what the fuck are you using? a dot matrix??

I use a quick command to launch zeronet and open a browser tab with Play, then i click the movie i want to watch and when clicking on a magic links a terminal spawns, drafts streaming the torrent and opens my video player as soon as it's ready to play, mostly within a couple of seconds. It took barely any effort to create this but would be a total pain in the ass to mimic on windows.

Just take a look at all the remote computers Windows is connecting to.

That's enough to scare the living shit out of anyone.

Not when most of populace just doesnt care

I've never once had ads on Windows 10 or waited more than 10 minutes for Windows to update.

Windows may pale in some aspects to Linux but its not the spawn of the devil in the form of an OS

As a developer, linux offers better tools.

>displays date and time
>TWICE
>autistic CPU usage display
Every fucking time. Customizing Windows is a lost cause.

CAD Softwares, Photoshop, Text Expanders.
The alternatives on Linux are shit.

I don't see anyone boycotting the makers of those software to make Linux versions though.

Well they are free to be stupid.

>CAD software
BrisCAD is literally just as good as Auto. And it's made by an actual company, not some freetard bullshit. It's available on Windows, Linux, and Mac.

It's not just the best alternative to auto, it's the ONLY alternative. The IT manager at my job had a bunch of us try it out in Ubuntu for like a week, because he was considering switching all our Windows/autoCAD setups to that, and we were practically begging him to just do it by the time the week was over.

Well you'll be in for a surprise when 18.04 comes around.

this. once you've developed with a proper *nix toolset there's just nothing else that really compares.

>BrisCAD

why's that?

I don't understand the hate for free software, I mean it is there to help people and you do nothing but shit on it. You want it fixed and for it to have more features? Pay for it the same amount you'd pay for the proprietary solution. You basically rage on people who do 10times the work for the money but get a 100times less money.

They'll kill off Unity, so you'll have to learn a new UI to navigate the OS itself, but I guess that won't change much if you only use that one software.

>You basically rage on people who do 10times the work for the money but get a 100times less money.
So you're saying they [spoiler]do it for free?[/spoiler]

They are doing it for freedom, not for free. Every major software project has some sort of funding set up, but that is much less than the commercial revenue closed solutions get.

if loonix was ever finished it would be great.
right now its basically like open beta, despite being 20 years in development already
maybe come back in another 30

Linux gives you freedom from corporations trying to use you

I don't hate it, I'm just saying that-- let's just be honest-- the free alternatives to autoCAD just aren't adequate. BrisCAD on the other hand is great. I admire them for actually having a Linux release so that people who need CAD software don't have to be tied to Windows if they don't want to be.

>redpill me
ur a faget lmao
install gentoo

I like GNOME though. And I mean Ubuntu != Unity, you can install it with any other DE preinstalled. That's why there's Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.

Serious question.
Does anybody really thinks rainmeter makes you look cool?
Everytime i see a riced windows desktop is the same hot garbage including:
>giant ass White clock
>calendar and resources sidebar
>music visualizer with some hipster colorlistening to some edm garbage like monstercat or dubstep
>wallpaper with filters, flowers, montain or ocean

Really?

Because GNU/Linux is free as in freedom.

Here you go OP, relevant pasta:

When a someone other than a NEET who browses Sup Forums recommends using Linux, what they mean is that they recommend that you take advantage of 35 years of the most talented programmers on earth actively trying to make a system that helps them program better, as part of a culture that expects a certain set of tools to be available and operate in a particular way. They encourage you to become familiar with what serious professional developers use, in part because it means they don’t have to cater to the idiosyncratic behaviors of half-assed development environments, and in part because knowing how to use these tools properly will make you a better programmer —because that’s what those tools are for, and that’s what they’ve been optimized for.

It's really not for the average gamer/media consumer. It's for programmers and computer scientists. I would never recommend it to tech normies. What you need to understand is that this isn't really a Linux vs. Windows issue, it's more of a Windows vs. UNIX thing. Windows was designed with end-users in mind, just average people who don't understand computers and don't want or need to. UNIX on the other hand is almost a philosophy, a culture of hackers and computer scientists who wanted an environment that makes development and algorithmic computing easy without the operating system or a million layers of "user-friendly GUIs" getting in the way.

UNIX is designed to make the computer scientist's life easier. Everything at the foundation of UNIX is a small program that does one thing and does it well, as opposed to one huge program that does a million different things and opens the door for sloppy or convoluted design.

tl;dr Windows is designed for people like you, with developers as an afterthought. Linux and Unix-derivatives are designed for developers, with people like you as an afterthought.

use whatever the fuck you want, fag

The best thing about shitty ricing like this is how none of it is usable, the hdd reads a percent instead of giving you the amount of actual space you have, the music visualisation doesn't tell you what's playing, and the news read cuts off the story after a few words, etc

Linux can't even properly run the Dolby Digital Audio in my 6 year old Thinkpad and they call it a "desktop OS" or "so easy my grandma can use it."

A lot of free softwares are good. It is just that the free CAD softwares are literally waste of disk space. They do nothing at all.

They will never do anything worthwhile without funding.

I don't use Unity... I use Xfce. Or maybe KDE... or LXDE... depends on my mood

This is the "works on my machine" mentality again.

>dude I installed linux it worked fine and I don't play games so its way better
>what do you mean it didn't work with your device thats your fault hurr why do you want to do gaymin or whatever else anyway

In my opinion, if you don't play games, linux is the way to go. And even if you do, most steam games are supported on linux. For the rest, you can have a dual boot, why not?
You don't even have to pay/crack it, it's open source software, no botnet, customize it to your taste, most stuff works right out of the box and some distros come with 90% of the stuff normie windows users may ever want, ubuntu is similar to windows in many ways.

Except it isn't
github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems#linux-low-audio-quality

I just noted that because at work they usually have an unmodified version of the distribution.

If you actually read my post you'd understand it was supporting the post I responded to faggot