Now that Kotlin is the official Android language, why the fuck would anyone use Java ever?

Now that Kotlin is the official Android language, why the fuck would anyone use Java ever?

But it's still Java

Pajeets developing for oracle

Daily reminder that when you're using anything from JetBrains, you're literally giving money to enemies of America.

So literally no downside?

Finally got rid of the cancer that is null. This has perked my interest.

What is wrong with null?

He's probably the kind of fag that needs the language to force him have good practices instead of internalizing them himself

Because Kotlin is gimped Java.

It literally can't don anything Java can't do with a couple more lines of code.

It's more Java than any other JVM languages like Scala.

How could you be giving away money if your IDE is free?

>actually buying shit

Good goy

>It literally can't don anything Java can't do with a couple more lines of code.

This is true of any Turing-complete language that's less verbose than Java. Enjoy writing your enterpriseā„¢ boilerplate.

It is not official. Google has not endorsed it and continues to write their APIs in Java.
So when you do Android you have to use said APIs and calling them from kotlinized code won't make such a difference.
Other reasons: legacy codebases, java code generators, java analysis tools, learning curve.

> Kotlin is the official Android language
Not any more than scala is because it has scala-android. Basically not all.

It also probably won't happen in a long time.

Of all the bullshits you told, the only one that makes sense is the learning curve, which is pretty spiked up, given the extend of features the language has (ranging from pattern matching to lazy initialization and dependency injection).

The purpose of today announcement is all about making it an official language.
Expect to see first-party APIs in full Kotlin a year from now, especially the most wizardry ones.

>Legacy codebase is a bullshit reason.
I'm not the original user, but you are forgetting legacy codebase, no one will simply say fuck and rewrite it from zero in kotlin. Even if might literally take one hour for intelliJ to convert a large codebase.

The move is like when apple announced swift, and the mobile faggots just jerked off to it and started demanding google to have something alike.

kotlin is shit, I'd rather use java
Why won't these idiots realise that Java has been deprecated by Scala for literally years?

Because my team mates don't use Kotlin and if I bother telling them I risk getting fired for being an unprofessional distraction

It's official and the new notification and fragments APIs were written in Kotlin.

Must suck to work somewhere that terrible.

pirate the pay versions or use an old .edu email address from college. you did go to college, didn't you?

>giving money to enemies of America.
i fail to see the problem here

>brackets
into the trash it goes!

>tfw went to a top Uni but never actually got assigned an .edu address

IIT doesn't count

sell me on Kotlin senpai