/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500X - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/MEGAtask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti/RX560 at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Good air cooler is almost always wiser than an AIO

Old:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/y6MCPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/fcfdPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/QD8QvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/DLDj9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/dz6QvV
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-10#support-dl
rymem.vraith.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does the Ryzen 5 1600x come with a shitty chipset like Intel or do I need to buy a graphics card?

Where do I buy linux???

AMD's apu's are pretty much the best out there. Intel literally signed a deal a few months ago to have AMD produce all their igpu's.

Anyways no, none of the zen chips are apu's, you have to wait until octoberish before those versions come out (pinnacle ridge or something)

No, Ryzen 5 and 7 do not have an integrated iGPU.

>none of the zen chips are apu's
Wrong, the R3 series is all APUs

>integrated iGPU.
ah yes, they do not have integrated integrated graphical processing unit
stupid me

is this a troll?
Linux is free and open-source. There's no place to buy it and about a zillion different versions you can download for free.

Well that's a fucking shame.

Ryzen 3 that's coming out soon will have an integrated Vega GPU

My Ryzen 1600 came yesterday. I checked if everything is okay and I noticed there something on my thermal paste. It's a little grain of dirt or something. I guess I should be able to remove it without touching the thermal paste. Should I remove that dirt or should I just remove whole thermal paste and get a new one?

my current setup:
i5-6400
gtx 1060 6gb
corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz 8gb single channel
asus h110m-e m2
samsung evo 850 256GB m2
xfx xt500

should i consider selling my current setup and move to amd ryzen and rx580?

it'll still be fine even with the dirt thing
could you send a picture of it?
you should buy thermal paste anyway because it's always handy to have and pretty cheap

>rx 580
no. The GTX 1060 performs almost the same, that would be stupid. We're talking 2% difference on average.
The jump between i5 6400 to r5 1600 isn't big, it might be worth but only if you can sell it + the mobo (+ the ram if it's ddr3) at a good price.
Don't sell the rest (case, hard drive / ssds) regardless.
And don't sell the whole computer, that is very cost unefficient because it includes things that you can keep (ram if ddr4, case, hard drives, card graphics) but will have to re-buy at full price.

Not at all.

>it hurts when IP
you fucker
it's
>8Hz WAN IP

better safe than sorry. remove the thermal paste and add new stuff when the time comes.

>could you send a picture of it
Right now I can't but I'll post it here later once I get home.

No, it would be a sidegrade at best

thanks for the suggestion. i'm never an avid amd user, and considering the r5 1600 is on same range with my i5 price wise, but providing additional core and clockspeed. the difference is only $50 or less. i'll try to keep my current setup for this whole year and maybe considering proc+mb upgrade to ryzen 5 1600 next year.

Well... I make a similar PC and the budget is like $900 but adding monitor and case and stuff, mostly for videogames, ue4 development, and recording games

Nvidia shills, why a 1060 vs a 480

The reference 480 looks way cooler desu

Wtf Nvidia cards look like shit
580 it is I guess

pcpartpicker.com/list/y6MCPs
Note: I have no intention of making this, ever.
This build was just for shits and giggles to see what the cheapest usable Ryzen based PC would be. I think for the price, this setup would monster a G4560 with a 1050ti

drop the SSD & put an RX 470 instead
The 1050ti outperforms the rx 460/560, so you'd end up with less fps

>drop the SSD & put an RX 470 instead
RX470 blows the budget. Trying to keep the build as close to $500 as possible while being USABLE this isn't about maximum framerates. It's about something usable for entry level gaming. Though I took the advice with the SSD.
pcpartpicker.com/list/fcfdPs

isn't it at around $170?
and blows the 1050ti even

>isn't it at around $170?
yes, but I'm not sure how much more would be able to be sacrificed to keep the cost down without stepping to the G4560.

Again. no intentions of building this. just s hits and giggles. pure hypothetical.
I've got a personal build planned out with a R5 1600 and an RX570.

managed to drop the price below $500 by switching to a non-modular PSU.
pcpartpicker.com/list/QD8QvV

So i asked about the ASRock AB350M-HDV in the other thread but didn't have a chance to reply before bumplock

Basically i just plan on using it in conjunction with a Ryzen 1400, not overclocked, so the lack of heatsinks and whatnot shouldn't be a problem right? Like i said i basically only do some gaming (bf1 et al) and video editing and stuff

Also what would be a good alternative AM4 motherboard in that same price range? Keep in mind once i've made the switch to AM4/ryzen i plan on staying there for as long as i used am3

first real hot day where I live, summer is coming, my pc is cooking without my two 120mm stock fans going ham while the cpu is under load and I need to prepare.

my question is, are premium fans worth the extra cash in the opinion of the people on Sup Forums? I was thinking about getting two Rosewill 140mm fans for $11 from newegg and place them in the front of my p400s. thoughts? any recommended fans?

Getting a $25 CPU cooler would have more impact than case fans no matter the number.

Thoughts? Were unable to find any reviews on that RAM but what could go wrong?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DLDj9W

if your CPU is hurting that much, buy an AIO

140mm fans will pump more air (and be quieter at idle and at load)

got that covered, I have an H7 in there cooling the i5

>Bait face plant

Of course it's a troll you autist, and I'm not even the guy who posted

Oh, then do get fans then. Do get 140mm ones.

then why are you worried about temps if you have such a 'great' cooler?

Shiiiiiit

Just found out silent wings 3 have some noise close to coil whine.
What do I do now?

Are there any other good fans? No noctua memes.

really my question was not answered, is something like corsairs Air Series fans, that much better over discounted stock fans, that I should shell out the extra cash for them? sorry, but I would really like the input from anyone reading this

maybe I was a bit misleading, my problem is less about temps, and more about "my cpu cooler is loud and I can't dump enough air into the case with my single 120mm fan at low rpm to keep it quiet". I hope I'm making sense, cause I'm kind of tired right now.

buy a corsair h115. enjoy your low temps.

You want me to put a rad + 2 fans as as case fans?
That's both extremely cost ineffective, and horrible airflow.

um, who cares. your motherboard will be fine because of all the surface area and your CPU will never hit 60c.

But you kiddies can keep thinking that the AIO radiator is somehow worse than not getting air to that little heatsink.

Is it a good idea to torrent Windows? Which version should I get? Is there a bigger risk that I might get viruses and shit so should I install antivirus?

AIOs are expensive, less reliable, and noisier than air coolers.

>Is it a good idea to torrent Windows?
I would not bet on it

>Which version should I get?
any that's still being fully supported by Microsoft, if you don't like it, go to linux. Honestly I would go with 10 because at least I know I'm under their full protection, god knows if that actually means anything but jack shit.

>Is there a bigger risk that I might get viruses and shit so should I install antivirus?
well just out of experience, with XP I got a shit ton of viruses, with 7 I got quite a few, and with 10 I got one, no wait that was kmspico GOD DAMN IT MICROSOFT, YOU GOT ME.

looks solid

looks like a good destitute build

>b-buy nvidia its only 2% worse and 12.5% more expensive

fuck off merchant no one here wants you shit drivers

Why didn't you just get arctic sliver? stock thermal paste is always shit

>good destitute build
good. That was the point. And because it's AM4, there's a decent upgrade path.

It's like a couple degrees. We're not in the 2000's anymore.

Why would you want to torrent it tho? Just download it from Microsoft lol

>have
i5 2400
rx 250x
8gb RAM
~$100
>want
1080p STABLE 60fps low settings (at least)

what do?

It's cute, they're so open and naive when they're fresh.
I've been here for 8 years now, pretty soon you'll have been trolled so much you feel you have the expertise needed to grade them.
See this would normally be a 0/10 but it got an honest reply, which is an automatic two points in my book because he followed proper form. It was a lucky shot, but it deserves acknowledgement.

its still inferior

Get a rx 570, that will be good for stable 60fps 1080p ultra

I can neither afford nor want a 570, please try again

what?
stop shitposting, faggot

rx 470/570
the i5 2400 can still shit out above 60 frames constantly, i believe, so you don't need to change just yet though an upgrade would be great indeed

I'm used to /o/ That's a -10/10 troll
You should see how much something as simple as posting "Corvette vs GTR" gets threads with over 250 replies

gtx 1050ti

then get a gtx 1050ti and enjoy your 60fps
mid settings

Thanks. What can an overclocked rx460 achieved on this setup, you believe?

Worse than a stock gtx 1050

An RX 560 can get fairly close to a GTX 1050, if your budget is really low, and it may give you 4gb vram.

Will my 2400 be a bottleneck?

What's the average overclock one can expect from a Westmere chip? (e.g. i7-990X).

No, GTX 1050 or TI are too weak for that.

I have my ram on a2 and b2. Speccy is showing I have 3 avail spots of 4 so I'm assuming my slots aren't fucked. I have 16gbs of 8x2 3200mhz ram installed but windows and the bios only show 8. They look like they're seated proper. Halp.

Guys what can an overclocked 250x do?
Dark Souls 3 1080p 60fps?

Lets get some hype going for a couple of months for AM4 mITX mobos!

Have a friend that wants to upgrade from an FX 8350, so Im planning on telling him to upgrade to pic related. My only worry is that the motherboard wont support the RAM. Has anyone used it and gotten good results?
pcpartpicker.com/list/dz6QvV

And by "it", I mean the motherboard.

I'm trying to put together my first build. Is it normal if nothing really makes sense and I'm kind of just picking expensive things seemingly at random?

I'm trying to graduate from being a filthy prebuilt/laptop-as-a-desktop-pc pleb and I'm learning from scratch as I'm going. I using the guides in the OP as references at least.

gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-10#support-dl

>Is it normal if nothing really makes sense and I'm kind of just picking expensive things seemingly at random?
no
you want parts that suits your needs

Just gotta look at benchmarks, and prices, and figure things out that way.

he's most likely talking about the 3000MHz and whether it will work or not

What CPUs have good single-thread performance? My build will be around $650

going with the most expensive things is not the way to go. It's a good way to throw money away on things you don't need though.
decide on your budget first, then your needs. Then try to grab parts that fit your needs but keep it within the budget

it'll work but maybe not at the rated speed until bios updates are made.

Why do you care about single threaded performance if you don't even know which ones are the best at it?

Having a bit of a dilemma, I'm saving money for a mortgage (London isn't cheap), mostly use PC for surfing/gaming, but I'm having to set most newer games to Low to get consistent +60 fps at 1080p. Current specs:

i5 3570K
Radeon 7950
8gb ram

Should I go all out with my planned mobo, ram and ryzen 1600 build (bearing in mind it'll cost me around £850 and I'm trying to save up), or can I get a radeon x570 or something to keep me over 60 fps at 1080p on high/ultra settings and leave the rest of the build as it is?

I'm stuck between wanting a good new build and being mature, frugal and within my means

woops forgot to mention my new build includes either a 1070 or whatever the vega line can offer when it comes out

Is 144hz a meme?

I don't know, but I don't think it is.

After I buy new computer, I'm hoping to buy a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor.

Heeeeeeeeelp

What is a good rx 580 8gb?

Which version of windows is it

What this user said. I was asking because I keep reading about some kits under performing with Ryzen, but I found this, maybe it'll help some other anons. Thanks for the link, though, it also helped.
rymem.vraith.com/

There's a big AMD update for RAM compatability, which will allow all RAM to clock as normal.

The problem is if the system can't boot with the ram, because then you won't be able to get the bios updates.

I'm gonna laugh when these turn out to be the best boards for am4 by a long shot. Full RAM support straight to 4200, two nvme's without cutting into the pcie lanes, crossfire support, and x370 tier VRM's

all of it for cheaper than the regular x370's

Cant you just under clock the RAM from the BIOS, boot, install the update, and then set the clock to normal?

that's generally how it works

Do you play anything competitively, and is that competitive game dependent on sub 150ms reflex, and are you in the 90th percentile in performance of those who play that game competitively?

If the answer to all that is yes, then no 144hz is not a meme, buying a 144hz monitor is buying skill. You'll immediately see the difference in input lag and your own response time to things happening in-game and you will wonder how the everloving fuck you could have possibly played at a lower refresh rate before. You'll never be able to go back.

If the answer is no, then yes 144hz is a meme, you'll never notice anything significant between it and 120hz or even 60hz. Things will look a bit smoother to you; whoop-dee-doo.

Don't think you can even get into BIOS if your mobo refuses the RAM.
Crossfire/SLI support would be difficult with only one PCI-e lane though... I guess APU "crossfire" could be a thing.

>If the answer is no, then yes 144hz is a meme, you'll never notice anything significant between it and 120hz or even 60hz.
Bruh, the difference in smoothness is supposed to be pretty big.

Old 60hz CRTs used to have a visible flicker to them, that's how little 60hz is.

Not all RAM

currently the fastest you can get, even if your RAM is working 100% fine, is 3200mhz. This is because that's the highest multiplier AMD's allowed.

Getting faster than 3200mhz requires a base clock overclock.

The upcoming update is rumored to include bigger multipliers so shit can support faster than 3200mhz ram, but don't hold your breath or expect anything more than 3200.

Not him, but is there a release date for that update?

May

3000 works fine on my ax370 gaming 5, just not at 3000, but 2933. enable the xmp profile.

Thanks for the info, user. What kit are you using?