/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Iwlwifi#ifconfig_command
certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201702-25371/
github.com/systemd/systemd
destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lol, just found this on Reddit, got a good chuckle

>I'm 15 years old, installed Gentoo, when I was 12 (I remember being too young to join the forums) and stayed, because it was awesome. Binary distros was hard to manage, and updates were slow. Gentoo just worked. I use it for desktop, hardest part is resolving the conflicts, otherwise it is really easy to maintain, even if you use patches or want the latest version of some packages. I like, that I can filter licenses in the make.conf, so it is not going to install proprietary software, without my awareness.

>I'm in secondary school right now. I like to hack on python code. I'm a christian.

Pay toilets are nasty, and ought to be illegal. Those of us who are not poor can afford the price, if we accept the practice; poor people can't. To deny people access to a toilet when they need one is nasty and degrading.

I have concluded that the least we can do, to eliminate pay toilets, is to avoid giving them money. Instead of paying them, I go to great lengths to find some other toilet.

Please join me in rejecting pay toilets firmly.

I asked in the previous thread and it got derailed by toilets.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 17.04 on a thinkpad t470 and on the livecd it says I'm connected to wifi, but I have no internet. I plugged in the ethernet cord and it just loads forever, no connection. I'm the same guy who tried to install debian and got nowhere. I don't really know what to do and I'm pissed. Wat do?

Copy pasting in this thread because there's two now.

sorry friend, this is /fgtt/ - Friendly GNU/Toilet Thread.

That is very odd. Usually Ubuntu is good about wifi and networking stuff. I'm not sure what the problem is

I only saw a pay toilet once, and it was in mexico.
This is a 3rd world thing right?

So what should I do? I tried Xubuntu and Kubuntu. Neither worked. I just want to get rid of fucking Windows 10.

No, I remember seeing them in England one time. This was a long time ago though, not sure how prevalent they are now.

Are you in the liveCD now? Try running:
ifconfig -a

This lists the network cards. What does it say

What are some free public toilets?

This image is very triggering, I'll ask kindly for it to be deleted.

No, Im in windows now, do you just want to know what network card I have? I took this screenshot earlier.

I'm just curious as to whether the device is working. Read this article: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Iwlwifi#ifconfig_command

>night in the city
>out with friends
>need to take a shit
>the botnet wants me to shit my pants

It's your fault for having a bad diet and not taking care of business before going out with friends.

wait, there are toilets you can pay with card?

Yes, unfortunately.... Very sad.

> I have a thinkpad t470.
>The whole reason I got this laptop was to get more experience with Linux

You done fucked up nigga. You should have gotten the T420

>meanwhile at the nsa
>"yout got mail!"
>"user took a shit at street 42"

Thats the point why RMS asks you to pay cash whenever you can.

I fell for the minimal install meme and my laptop can't detect wlan0 or eth0, how do I get them working? They were working fine during the setup but in tty they're not detected
Same situation as the guy with a T470 but I have a T500

Just tried it, won't let me run ifconfig as it is not installed.

What about the other commands, like iw

ip a

What is the output of the modinfo iwlwifi

Use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit instead.
certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201702-25371/

What other specific command should I run?

fortune | toilet --gay

apt-get moo

hehe free toilet foundation

Just inastall linuxmint

seen a few in LA, but it is 3rd world here so it adds up. Thinking it's just so junkies don't shoot up in there and for bums to shit on the street instead.

phone posting a picture of the screen because I have no idea how else to get the log onto my desktop, hope it's readable.

Hey /fglt/, sorry to bother, I was in the process of installing xubuntu and got 2 errors on the filecheck, should I format the pendrive and start again from step one using the universal usb installer?

fuck off

without compiling from source which distro has the most packages available?

When will this systemd a botnet autism end? Why so many retards fall for it? It's beyond my understanding.

Does gentoo hybrid installation already come with config for wireless?
I'm on a i7 gen 2.

It's cool to be against systemd and it makes you look intelligent.

Someone has proof about the systemd NSA botnet or wathever? never was clear what is the fucking deal with systemd

could guys please explain, with newbe friendly words, what's wrong with systend?

if you take ppas into consideration then probably the buntu family

i mean from the systemd-less distros

Systemd is free software. Some people think because it's a large program, it makes a large attack surface, combined with NSA paranoia (Red Hat and the NSA have been working together in the past), tinfoilhats are shitting theit pants for no reason.
Source if available, everyone call read it and complain (and people do so).

check yourself: github.com/systemd/systemd

ok, but why discount installing from source, or mkpkg files? once you have the tools installed it's no big deal to do, you can even integrate it into your gui package manager

Aren't binary distros complete waste when it comes to security? I mean, you literally get some unknown binary compiled from literally who.

that's not how free software works
you can track back everything and have checksums with your package manager

Aren't source based distros a complete waste when it comes to security? I mean, who has the fucking time to read through all that source code

WTF
IM AN OPENRC MISSLE NOW!

Aren't personal computers a complete waste when it comes to security? I mean, you literally save important data to a large attack surface and connect it to the internet.

computers were a mistake

we fought thousands of years for basic civilisation and now we're back at the beginning, digital life is ruled by the botnet

>we fought
No I didn't.

>proprietary software was a mistake
FTFY

basically this
it isn't even a large program. compared to runit, it's pretty large (about 15 times as many lines of code), but it really isn't very big (300K lines for the entire suite, including udev as of a few years ago). Meanwhile, the kernel and firefox+chromium are both nearing 20 million, Xorg has millions. If you actually care about bloat and want to avoid overcomplicated, insecure software, you should be using tty or wayland instead of X.

I don't understand why all the dick measuring though, I suppose everyone aim for mostly the same thing here, security, maybe work with code or whatever... and browse.

>complains about systemd being botnet
>runs nonfree firmware
/topic

I'm on Arch Linux.

bad thread

Is Tails bad?
I'm trying to search for an OS, have been a windowsfag all my life, wanted to start working at it.

install ubunut

Will do.

perfect

tails isn't meant to be installed and I don't consider it viable for a daily driver as a liveusb

what is the best viable daily driver?

bad post

Source Mage GNU/Linux

for most folks it's the bunt with it's wide array of available up to date software, the ability to add ppas easily, and relative stability
personally I prefer a rolling release model like arch. it's more work to do the initial setup and you have to pay attention to things when updating but with aur virtually everything that can run on linux is available and relatively current

GNU/Linux*

How is it possible for a kernel written in C to work?

I mean how do you even declare an int without entering an infinite syscall loop?

stop trying to co-opt torvalds work and go contribute to hurd

no, linux is only 10% c code, most of it it nodejs

>daily driver
Kill yourself to rid the world of buzzphrases and this thread of stupid people proud of their ignorance.

The new Arch Linux

Friendly thread.

kek

>buzzword
it's a concise description shitstain

>2 minutes to reply

You could have spent the time learning how to program and to write a simple utility which would post it automatically. Instead you chose to bikeshed about something trivial in order to feel smart.

>torvalds work
>activly destroying free software by shilling nonfree software
>contributed like 2% of linux
good work linus!

why not just call it an OS though? can't get much more concise than two letters

OK, so what would call it instead

No, it's not. Every distribution can be a "daily driver" idiot, since it's completely subjective. Therefore it's not a "concise description".
People who use that phrase blatantly signal that they don't intend to use any distribution, that they're only in it to write a few words in their terminal emulator once in a while when they boot from their Windows computer into their Linux distribution.

It isn't trivial.

I call it a Linux distribution. Everything you install on your computer is a "daily driver". Of course that implies that you're a normal person and not someone who does this .

>People who use that phrase blatantly signal that they don't intend to use any distribution, that they're only in it to write a few words in their terminal emulator once in a while when they boot from their Windows computer into their Linux distribution.
Uh no, I think they're signalling that they're going to use it as their daily driver.

because to go your way it would be necessary to not just say os but os for daily use
>if you're not 1337 then you're not really using linux
ok friend

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>the year is 2024
>JS has taken over as the dominant language
>bootloaders and device firmwares are written with electron
>the final steps of refactoring the kernel into node are almost done
>systemd has been rewritten in angular

You may like this: destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

How do i kno skd in o

install gentoo

>if you're not 1337 then you're not really using linux
If that's what you got out of that, then you should go back to elementary school to get some sort of reading comprehension.

>only in it to write a few words in a terminal emulator
that implies that anyone who doesn't heavily use the terminal isn't really using linux, if that's not what you meant to say then work on expressing yourself better, if it is then my comprehension is spot on

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

i want to reinstall debian except the first time i did it killed the ethernet and onboard wifi drivers, so my question if theres some way to use windows drivers or use drivers from another distro like fedora to install it

firstly, it would be linux/gnu not the other way around
secondly shit gets shortened all the time, deal with it

thank dr stalman