What is your opinion of humanity merging with machines?

What is your opinion of humanity merging with machines?

inevitable

this

What is interesting though is how we do it.
I think free software is crucial if it will be a positive thing or be a new dark age.

Free software will never catch on. Less than 0.1% of the world's population even knows the difference between free as in freedom and free as in price. Once we merge with computers we'll be complete slaves to the ZOGs/shadow government/whoever you think is in control.

I don't really want to lose anything I currently have, ability and mentality-wise. If it's what it takes to live forever, then I want it, but I worry that it'll make some things too easy, and remove my humanity. For example, I desperately want to be able to program. I've strugglied with learning the basics for a while now because I don't stick to it for long enough periods in a row. If something like downloading the info that allows me to program to my brain were possible, I'd be quite upset.

>The smell of instant coffee machine wakes me up
>Unplug .paNet cable from the base of my neck while I rub my eyes
>"Glad that twelve terabyte download installed by the time I woke up."
>As my feet touch the cold floor once dimly lit blue lights gradually turn into a warm orange, while mechanical whirring and the sounds of automated tasks inaugurate the day
>Still picking at the rheum in my eyes, I yawn while I make my way towards my desk, which at my approach turns on and promptly asks how I slept.
>"Morning ma'am," it asks.
>It's been moody lately.
>Gripping the handle on my cup I sit in my chair.
>"Before I call for breakfast-"

Merging with machines just means that advertisers will be able to beam in your eyeballs, inevitably.

Free software always has a place, and comes into the limelight when big things are happening. For example, the Edward Snowden fiasco a few years ago made a lot more people care. In addition to that, some more local (to Sup Forums and such) issues, such as the death of Nyaa will bring things like GNUnet into relevance, at least temporarily.

I for one accept our matrix overlords.

>If something like downloading the info that allows me to program to my brain were possible, I'd be quite upset.
There will probably be a point when AI will be able to do it better than you

Part of me wants to say I wouldn't mind if an AI worked that way, but I do think an AI learning things properly the way a human might will probably lead to a better result. Of course, I imagine we're talking about a much much faster speed, even if the AI is learning things in the same way a human would.

I think there would be quite a lot of issues to overcome such as

>advertisers
>the jews
>non free software
>being "hacked"
>getting a "virus"
>privacy
>security
>over population

so many things would need to be worked out if we were in order to live forever.

Imagine some tard invents technology to read peoples minds using cheap publicly available parts

Won't happen in our lifetimes. Probably won't happen ever.

BOTNET

It's either going to be us integrating our biology into technology or we will be outlived by our creations. Either way, a future run by AI we created is inevitable.

I just wish we could have robot waifus with interchangeable, modular genitals sooner.

fpbp

>>advertisers
>>the jews
>>non free software
These might fix themselves in a post-scarcity world.
Which probably will stay meme until at least 2200.

Never trust the electric jew

It really depends.
I can see in the far future some medicines doing things in the nanosphere and limb restoring/replacing stuff.
Like the hearing aids that connect to your brain for deaf people.
There is however a giant leap between that and 'brain computers' and how they will work.
Before we have something that really augments our brain we will most likely have the understanding + technology to adjust the brain itself rather than putting 'chips' in.
>Both scary

That might be true. It depends on if we're talking about augmenting the brain's capabilities or giving our brains more outlets for expression/inlets for information. There's a reason people can live with blindness or deafness, just imagine a "plugin" opening us up to another sense. We would look back and wonder how people ever lived without that sense. I'm not sure we'll need to understand the brain completely for those augmentations to become useful. Combine that with some pharmacological science and you can definitely give the brain an extra +1. But, preserving and increasing our base capabilities will definitely require understanding of the brain.

Interestingly, we know weird medicines like modafinil work almost like methamphetamines do, but we don't understand the mechanisms that cause them to work. It could be that nano-machines might work similarly, though that's just low-level knowledge speculation.

Slice brain into micron size pieces, scan complete physical structure of brain

Creat supercomputer complex which is able to read brain scans and handle input/output from "vm" brain to create a sense of living

Would this not work? Put all the brains on there and call it Heaven- all the murderers can go to one called Hell where they only feel pain forever

We will be completely integrated into the botnet. Imagine you have a dissident with an instant killswitch installed. De facto powers drool at the thought of this idea.

The problem there is that there is no continuity. There's a reason that the idea of the soul is mulled over. A copy of your brain would mean that continuity is lost between the you now and the copy created. That's the problem with the transporters in Star Trek, they provide a copy of you at the location instead of taking the fiber of your being. Interestingly, we might need to not only replicate brains, but bodies as well as those working on AI are starting to see that having just software makes it nearly impossible to recreate things like sight recognition. Animals developed by creating the idea of the self and not the self. That way, we can interpret our bodies to perform actions that act on the not self.

>yfw you die every time you fall asleep

True, but because it feels like a natural progression, humans have overcome the fear. Rather than death though, it's a gap of consciousness, which isn't really true either since our brain still functions while we sleep and sometimes we even dream.

Yeah, I hate ads enough already, I can't even imagine networking the last private place I have in this world

>And it's my miiiiind
>And there's no tiiiiiiiiime

just had a crazy idea
>Be able to put a consciousness into a computer
>Do it to yourself
> for i < 10000; i ++; copy consciousness;
>spread around the internet like wcry

Imagine a million you's, all shitposting at the same time

remove the i++ and you've got the right idea

herpderp, forgot
i am a retard

i can't think of a time that we haven't been merged with machines. Even the plants and animals that exist today have been chosen by humanity.

because of our hands machines are already apart of humanity. the problem is when those machines become so complex that we fail to understand them and they kill us. especially if you consider machines to be chemicals, businesses, religious doctrine, or legal systems.

however, people have been so advanced since the Italian renaissance that its difficult to say what is right or wrong or how anything that exists today plays out for the better.

just trying to understand ww2 pacific theatre and what its effects and where it came from is very complicated.

anyone who thinks the worst is in the future should realize that in WW2 we knew everything we know now and there is no telling what sort of espionage and "agents" and robotics and chemicals and military tactics and just how scared the average marine would have been, it was just about the end of the world for a lot of people. you see old things now and don't realize how nice and efficient all of that stuff would have been brand new.