Whatever happened to 3D printing? It was hyped up to be the next big thing years ago, and now it's gone totally quiet

Whatever happened to 3D printing? It was hyped up to be the next big thing years ago, and now it's gone totally quiet.

Because cheap 3D printers produce shitty looking products? I'd rather have a cheap CNC mill desu

What are you talking about?

It's just that it's commonplace now. It's not an amazing achievement to 3D print something.

My public library has two 3D printers that are constantly used by people, I had to wait four hours because some assfuck decided to print something that took longer than the 2 hour limit the printers have and the admin for said printers has no spine to tell people off for doing that.

It's already big, why would you need to hype something that everyone who wanted one, now already has?
Did you really expect 3D printers to practically become a common household item next to fridges and washing machines?
There are plenty of machines and resources for anyone interested to get into it today.

It's not totally quiet, it's just not the new hotness, and many of the big companies that tried to promote it and sell it packaged left. They found out they couldn't patent everything the community did, couldn't innovate without getting stomped by stratasys, and compete with diy and kits that produced as good results (with a little tweaking), at a fraction of the cost.

3d printing is still going strong, it's just the clueless magpie crowd had moved on. Nothing sours mass consumers like finding out they need to learn skills and use patience to use the tools they thought were toys.

It's like GNU+linux. There's always bunch of faggots that like to build stuff with no clue what to use it for.

>same thread again
consider this to be the same answer

What the fuck were they thinking? Libraries are supposed to be quiet relaxing places. 3D printer whine, smell of ozone and boiling plastic is the opposite of what a library should be.

It just became normal.

If you want a 3D printer just buy one.

Big Companies are developing new 3D printers and other companies are waiting for them to be brought to the market and then choose the best product for their needs.

A few month ago I started at a company that developed UV 3D printing, The accuracy is astonishing but the price of the fluid used is high. At the moment they only have prototypes, but when they want to bring the technology to the market they want to produce giant 3D printers.

It's quadcopter tier in terms of meme technologies the Karlie Klosses of the world use to look lol so quirky and cool and OMG NIGGA PRINTED A CUBE GIVE HIM AN MIT SCHOLARSHIP

Have you ever actually used a 3D printer?

There's almost no sound and it doesn't smell in the slightest, buddy.

hyped for and by stupid people, as always
now it's back to what it always was: a niche toy for autists and a useful tool for engineers

It's because they have little to no use

Many industries are very worried about it because they won't be able to own the concept of shapes anymore.

Nobody is gonna buy your shitty brittle widgets when someone can make one out of ABS for $0.50

Have you? ABS smells fucking horrible and the stepper motors and fans are noisy as fuck

Nothing? It's pretty common nowadays. I print custom parts I need all the time.

Is it easy to use or do I need to know a lot of shit? Could I go to a library and easily print out replacement cases for ps2 games and shit?

no, they'll be shit

Or you could just buy replacement cases.

like what?

"3D printing" is just a normie meme which actually refers to rapid prototyping. That's exactly what it is--very fast prototypes of concepts. If you make a box or a rectangle or a ball or something, it will come out ok and it will look vaguely like what you wanted to "print". This is not for producing actual usable products, even if that is sometimes possible to some degree.

ABS isn't what most library printers will be printing it, and cheaply made and/or badly tuned stepper motors have a lot of whine to them, but not all stepper motors do.

Normies thought that we're now going to have replicator tech or something and hyped it to the high heavens.
Then they realized that 3D modeling actually takes some skill and the printed products are often crude as shit and require some finishing touches.
So the hype died down.
They do have their uses but they're out of the range of average Joe in practicality and in the skill it requires to create things.
It's still very much a growing thing in the real industry and among people who 3D print figures and things of that nature.

Jewel cases would be doable, but 3D printing wouldn't be the best way to make those and it also wouldn't look as good or be as durable. 3D printing is great, but you have to admit and work within its constraints and strengths.

Injection molding will be much quicker and better for PS2 game cases. If you, however, wanted a way to mount your PS2 to the side of your TV stand, or to your wall, designing and printing a custom mount for it would be something you could easily do with 3D printing, and in less time or money than it would take to have it custom-made for you.

Because people figured out firearms parts and accessories could be made with them and the libs panicked and started dropping the majority of news regarding 3d printers.

>3D print a vagina
>3D print a boob
>can't think of anything else to print
>collects dust
>end up putting it away with my raspberry pi and my cintiq

Many, many different types of 3d printers. Fused filament printers make a lot of winning noises because they always have steppers moving. Not sure about SLS printers, but I'm pretty sure they make at least a lot of noise from the exhaust . Resin printers (sla) can be nearly silent.

What type have you been using?

Please buy my knick knacks on etsy, I still have 5 more payments on this thing

pointless meme device. get a cnc mill

> the next big thing

Its been in production use since the 80s
The "next big thing" was having one in your home.

> now it's gone totally quiet.

No, its gotten common and cheap as fuck.
You can buy a printer that will put out decent prints for $200

>Could I go to a library and easily print out replacement cases for ps2 games and shit?

Yes. A standard DVD 'keep case' design modified somewhat to decrease the tolerances required would be feasible on an FDM printer. You'd need a large print bed and a material with high flexural strength like PLA. You'd print it as a solid piece then score the two bend points with a hot soldering iron (this will fuck up your tip btw). To attach the outer plastic sleeve you'd simply heat-fuse a sheet of polyethylene to the cover, same as a standard case.

It would be significantly easier to clone a metal DVD case design like the Halo 2 Limited Edition case though, since you could print the top/side/bottom pieces separately.

Man, I am so glad people here haven't used one.

They might actually get a lot of use out of it.

I would only use it for printing anime waifu's.

Can they print these yet?
No?
Then fuck you I'm only paying attention to CRISPR

bought a flashforge creator pro last year,

it's pretty good, but it's been collecting dust for the last 6 months as I can't be fucked doing anything with it