Windows. Eject external HDD

Let me eject my external HDD, you fucking piece of shit!! Seriously, is Linux just as stupid as Windows is in this regard? Nothing was using it, no programs were running, no i/o operations indicated, I even closed explorer, nothing. Not even the reader heads moving noise, just the disks were spinning but even when it stopped spinning them (power saver) it still refused to eject it. I had to shut off my computer to eject it properly.

NSA still wanted to scan it, that's why.

>actually ejecting a drive

who does this.

people who like their filesystems consistent

Hah, good point

And that's how you get your drive corrupted.

>Linux
umount -f
Doesn't mean it's safe though. But you could do the following to find the task.

lsof | grep '/dev/sda1'
pkill target_process
umount /dev/sda1

>lsof | grep '/dev/sda1'
you can just do "lsof /dev/sda1"

>I expect OS to kill programs that I started
Bad OS!

I only copied something with explorer. I even closed explorer and it still refused to eject the HDD.

>Seriously, is Linux just as stupid as Windows is in this regard?
>Nothing was using it, no programs were running, no i/o operations indicated, I even closed explorer, nothing
If it's really that, then no.

You'll at most be waiting for a really short while until the buffer / caches are flushed and it'll unmount.

Usually it's the thumb nail generation bullshit locking it, or app compat

No one cares that you are female. Stop attention whoring. Also this thread belongs in /sqt/.

Just wait until wannacry is done using the disk, then you'll be able to eject it :^)

Yeah, well, I waited until it went to power saver, disks stopped spinning. Windows still could not eject it.

>he doesn't eject his C: drive on a regular basis

it's possible to have windows running off a disk not mounted as "c:"

Why do you bother? Finally a filepicker with thumbnails!

Only newbs.

/thred

>log out
>log in
>eject

No.

yes it is, i've done it before

same, not this user. I did it by accident once. Installed vista with a system reserved and a local disk partition and somehow vista chose D: for the %SYSTEMDRIVE% variable.

i did mine on purpose
i was ricing the absolute fuck out of XP (years ago), changing basically everything
even "windows", "program files" and "documents and settings" can be renamed