This is the best GNU/Linux distro I have ever used. I highly recommend it. Gentoo thread

This is the best GNU/Linux distro I have ever used. I highly recommend it. Gentoo thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_hor85UPqAA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wish I had the time to install it. I'll just use Debian until I do.

After I have it setup, there isn't much to compile, right? Firefox, DE and Kernel are the big three and even they have binary alternatives if I so wish, even though that kind of eliminates the point of installing Gentoo in the first place.

What are the pros and the cons about gentoo?

>After I have it setup, there isn't much to compile, right?
No after you compile X11 and a DE if you wish, it's smooth sailing. If you have a free day then i suggest installing it.

Still compiling.

cons
>installation take a long time
pros
>everything

Installing it right now.

>Gen2

For the record, you guys can do this from an Ubuntu LiveCD or an existing Linux installation

just mount the partitions you're going to install Gentoo on, chroot into the environment, and then the compile/install process is just a terminal window for you to check on every now and then. Meanwhile you can still do whatever you want with your computer.

This.

Here we go!

mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb3
mkswap /dev/sdb2 && swapon /dev/sdb2

mount /dev/sdb3 /mn/gentoo
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo

download stage + portage

cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc

# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
# mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Enjoy your kino operating system

> pros
Good management of all compile time configuration, generally pretty sane set of tools to maintain a distro.

> cons
Compiling takes longer than extracting binaries.

Flexibility to change configuration can result in mistakes on your end. Or you hitting bugs no one else has hit yet (if you were on the standard configuration on Ubuntu, someone would probably have tested just about exactly your setup before.

It's MIT nigger trash.

>lacks docs
>lacks much support
>towards non-free sw
>lacks systemd
>have to have i7 cause muh compile time
>non-productive
>muh flags

>>lacks docs
False, the gentoo handbook is quite extensive
>>lacks much support
False, this is a large support network of IRC channels and forums
>>towards non-free sw
You don't have to use non-free software if you do not want to!
>>have to have i7 cause muh compile time
Not true! Most modern day hardware will work fine. I have an i5 2520M and compile times were not unbearable.
>>non-productive
False!
>>muh flags
Yes!

Sabayon Linux is the superior Gentoo.

>lacks docs
documentation is pretty good, arch documentation is decent for userspace stuff and irc is also good
>lacks much support
???
>towards non-free sw
???
>lacks systemd
???
>have to have i7 cause muh compile time
i run gentoo on an i5 and it's ok, on a pentium m it's annoying but still doable
>non-productive
how so?
>muh flags
what is this statement supposed to imply?

i give you 1/10 because you made me respond

Gentoo > Calculate > Sabayon.

Either way, if you're using one of the "easy" alternatives you're kind of missing the point. Antergos is fine for Arch because the installation progress is pointless. The point of Gentoo is compiling your own shit so why skip compiling the kernel? Obligatory kys.

Sabayon or opensuse tumbleweed. Pick on phaggot.

Does Calculate support journal-ctl? Does it use portage with emerge or somthing else. I think the entropy packager is superior to just emerge along.

Void > Gentoo
The lack of binaries is not a good thing, despite what delusional fanboys may say. Choice is always a benefit.

sabayon is fucking awful, their documentation is terrible, their package manager is shit, same issues as with ports and pkg-ng that you can't maintain different sources depending on one another.

i personally never liked suse. i never liked yaster nor zypper, OBS or their multiarch managment. i only used suse enterprise desktop at a job, and the only good thing i can say about it that KDE is actually stable, with exception to knetworkmanager

I don't run sabayon but I maintain it is a rising star from gentoo.

Opensuse stomps out lots of other rolling distros with the open build service. Opensuse gets packages just as fast as arch. youtu.be/_hor85UPqAA
rpm based is always a plus. zypper is sorta like red hat's dnf and Debian's apt.

The reason I really love opensuse is system crashes are very rare. Like I never had one, ever. I was a arch user for 2 years but I just got tired of fixing the login manager breaking every month or two from pacman -Syu

if i use an rpm based system i use RH. obs has its points, but overall i find administrating it is painful and the suse way of handling repositories is just ugly. though their public obs saved did save me a lot of time every once in a while when building rpms in the past