Why do (((they))) make you take calculus for CS?

Why do (((they))) make you take calculus for CS?

Other urls found in this thread:

scs.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Podcast/Podcast.ashx?courseid=bcf8243e-cf18-481f-960f-3c5b26fbb69b&type=mp4
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-fall-2010/video-lectures/
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

I'm 20 dipshit.

to throw women out of CS and into women studies (and related shit) and add them to (((their))) mass of maneuver

Why is Sup Forums so shitty now?

that just makes it sad, really

lol truly epyc wynn photo made me really go KEK so harrd on the floor right now take all nmy upvotes lol senpai

Because it's useful to know and is required by every other program in the faculty of science. How do you expect to implement a physics simulator or 3D graphics if you can't understand the core concepts

>calculus
>hard

please drop out

To make you smarter. There should be heavier math requirements in all fields. Math is the language of science.

Who is "They"?

They being the ABET accreditation board? Because they treat CS like an engineering discipline.

They being most non ABET accredited CS programs? Because you need it as a basis for a ton a math that's necessary for knowing how the algorithms work.

Also, it's a pretty low bar to meet, to make sure you're ready to take classes. It's about the same as kindergarten programs requiring that children be able to go potty unassisted, and tie their own shoes.

CS is a subset of math

Even a crazy autist like me could survive it, just get mathematical maturity.

>physics simulator or 3D graphics
How many people in CS actually do those things?

Mathfag here.

Without Calculus you no probability and no statistics.
Without Statistics you have no Asymptotical Analysis.
Without Asymptotical Analysis you have no Complexity theory.
Without Complexity Theory you have no way to determine the cost of an algorithm.

Calculus is essential, sure for being a pajeet code-monkey you don't need it, but if your intention is to develop a theory on Computing (which is what CS truly is) you need Calculus.

should have studied engineering instead

>survive
>not learn

but what if i just work with pure statistics?
calculus never seemed helpful to me in any way.

although, to be honest; if we could work with pure referential memory [which would/should/could possibly be the next step after quantum computing] we wouldn't need any math at all to program anything, including math.

>although, to be honest; if we could work with pure referential memory [which would/should/could possibly be the next step after quantum computing] we wouldn't need any math at all to program anything, including math.

This is, actually, not true user.

In Math you can deal with non-constructive objects, that is, an object such that even if you had an infinite amount of resources, you can't find a process to construct it (even after infinite amount of time).

There is actually a powerful Theorem about this, but I don't remember it well.

we accept you how you are
folks! be kind to that person

Good answer! BTW,do you think the maths given in the given link is sufficient for not being a brainlet in CS.
H**p://8ch.ne*/prog/res/3034.h*ml(use t in place of *)

Eventually I'll get my balls deep in maths in my spare time...

Just kill yourself.

All math is useful as fuck in computer science. Assuming you are actually doing computer science and not bullshit website front end.

You will use them and if you want to be worth more then zero with it you will need to understand what is happening under the hood.

Because it's useful. You just don't see calculus in your coursework solely because the brainlets will fail them.

You don't need calc for cs. My college didn't require it.

Just discrete math
People who say otherwise are being pretentious

Remember when CS was a math field and not a four year bootcamp?

>any kind of math
>hard

if you're unable to conceptually understand derivatives or integrals you are in fact, mentally retarded

>but what if i just work with pure statistics?
Not sure what you mean by that. Calculus is helpful for analyzing statistics, and I think it's pretty much necessary in a lot of cases.

>Assuming you are actually doing computer science and not bullshit website front end.

>he doesn't use linear algebra in his frontend css

>tfw 78.5% in Calc 2
>tfw failed a CS class
>tfw got a C in other CS class
Nobody could have prepared me for this workload, I want to fucking die now.

Kek, in my case its,
>55% in Calc 2
>92% average in my CS modules

>too stupid for calculus
>"it must be (((their))) fault!"

I don't want to sound like a prick but your workload ain't shit. CS takes a lot of time, certainly; there's no getting around how long it takes to type out and debug a program. But most of the time is spent just typing. You don't really have to study or grind out actually difficult work for 10 hours a day like you do in engineering.

I'm a shitty student by any measure and I've failed more than a dozen classes in mechanical engineering, but not one in computer science. It's actually a fucking babby degree; the professors bend over backwards to make sure everyone passes. Just suck it up, get used to all-nighters, and email your professors when you need to turn something in late. Not only are you capable of getting this degree, but you won't even have to try that hard once you get used to it.

>pic
Literally me. I usually say this shit to hide my pain

>mech eng cuck tries to belittle CS babbies
>implying eng courses aren't all curved like fuck
Don't you have dicks you need to suck in order to make it through this month, fagineer?

wanna know how I know you arnt a pajeet?

doesn't matter if they're curved when everyone else is a goddamn machine. ME isn't a meme diversity degree like CS. the dumb or lazy students don't last long.

So you would learn at least something useful

> the dumb or lazy students don't last long.
Yeah since the dumb and lazy students don't give good head.
It's hilarious how engineering cucks think their shit is any harder than anyone else's when they're covering 2nd year math in their 4th years LMAO

Jeet in street, Ashish

Meanwhile us engineers talk shit about you faggots to make us feel better about the 23 midterms we have every week.

What books/courses are good for math in CS?
Let's say I don't know anything yet.

Because without a strong math base you are just another code monkey.

>Why do (((they))) make you take calculus for CS?

What's the problem? Calculus is simply used to measure various aspects of curved figures (slopes, lengths, areas, volumes, etc.) -- or for any other problems that can be directly modeled using those curves.

In high school, you learn to make those measurements for straight-line figures -- so why not go ahead and finish the job and learn to do it for curves as well?

Even if your calculus teacher is shit, there's now a bunch of videos out there that explain calculus well in intuitive terms. Just watch those videos first, then you'll be able to figure out what even a shitty teacher is talking about in class. It only takes like 2 weekends to watch all the good calculus videos out there.

I'm often shocked at the number of adults, even those in "technical" roles, who can't even explain what an integral is. I understand not remembering all the rules and shortcuts, but damn guys... what the fuck were you doing in life between 16-18?

Summerfags are off school now

Personally I was watching anime and shitposting in here.

I never went to high school though, I dropped out when I was 12.

Useless.
For CE however it's very useful. CS people are retards anyway

It requires the exact same kinds of critical thinking.

Anybody who complains about the not even difficult math you have to complete in CS is a guaranteed brainlet.

Only a retard couldn't do Calc 1. Maybe you should find a different major.

Consider a change of major, you don't sound like you're cut out for this.

>Failing reverse-derivatives: the class
You too.

I do both ME and CS currently. CS is a cakewalk. You don't know jack shit.

To slightly cut down on the number of retards.
It hardly works though.

The point is that apparently you think ME is tough shit when literally anybody else in STEM (yes, even CS babbies) could transfer into engineering graduate program from their undergrads while engineers can't do the converse.
Fucking pathetic fagineer cucks.

Because you should be a somewhat competent problem solver.

Also, Statistics, which is actually a big part of CS, uses Calculus.

CS IS NOT PROGRAMMING.

> adults, even those in "technical" roles
> who can't even explain what an integral is

It's a worse than that. Even basic terms like "derivative" and "differential" are meaningless to most of them. Most wouldn't even be able to explain what calculus is used for, even in the most general terms.

I'll bet that not even one in five could even remember that the derivative is basically just the idea of "slope" as applied to curved lines. And I'm talking just about practicing tech professionals who took at least a full year of college calculus.

Even pre-calc can be a disaster. I've seen engineers go blank with things like converting a (x,y) coordinate to an angle and length or vice versa. And I don't mean that they forgot the equation -- I mean that they spend 15 minutes searching google about it and then they come back and say "well, it looks like it might require trig but I completely forgot all that trig stuff so I didn't really understand how you would do it".

>when literally anybody else in STEM
>while engineers can't do
Wait, but doesn't E in STEM stand for Engineering?

Seems reasonable since grad students don't intend on engineering anything.

Also you can't do that in my University.

All the people who complain about math in CS or keep failing math courses should be automatically transfered to IT. They will be happier.

Do you not know what "else" means or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>no true scotsman
Ok user.

>Do you not know what "else" means or are you just pretending to be retarded?
If you've put "while engineers can't do the converse" part before "when anybody else" part, it would be more clear.

The sad thing is that I know for a fact that you're not pretending. CS students think they're hot shit and are full of it

>thinks I'm a CS babby
Try again, dumb cuck.

I did a business degree before my CS degree.

>mfw calculus for business students was harder than calculus for CS students

You're a dropout

Nice projection but enough about you.

>is so rattled by my he forgets his autism images

So you are a dropout then. lol

>calls others autistic when he spergs out when people isn't posting any more pretty pictures

Fellow CS fag here
You will need it for 0 other courses, but as other anons have stated you will need it for higher level stuff like 3d graphics. Basically if you are like me and just want to work on the basics and do database developer work you will not need it, and if anything it will just be implementing a formula.

it's literally the same class Math 1910 at my uni

CS babies absolutely could not transfer into any reputable university's masters programme for ME.

>Sup Forums can't get in calculus

it took me 3 times to pass it desu, not my best moment.

I'm doing PhD that's more focused on EE (signal processing) and I do just fine. It's true that EE modules are generally harder though.

So you understand orders of growth anytime you're involved in seriously optimizing anything.

If you don't have to optimize anything, then you should be studying SE instead.

if by SE, you mean software engineering that is a part of CS course work in most American Unis. Software Engineering 1-3 are for Juniors and Seniors only at my uni.

You guys are despicable. True oldfags are kind and inviting to new members. Please go back to the red d i t

Why do they want IT people to have CS degrees when in 20 years of doing IT I've never once had to use advanced math.

Nice bait

> Now more than ever we have ample resources to work with
> hurp durp muh optimization
Why is this a thing? the average user is using at least 8gb of RAM, has at least four CPU cores and tons of storage.

>3 times to pass Calculus
What the fuck this is Sup Forums now?

>be me in Discrete math (main ideas introduced in my course are elementary number theory, proof by induction and direct proof, set theory, group theory, and counting methods)

i failed the mid-semester exam and i'm having a panic attack about the final which is in about 3 weeks.

how can I pass the class Sup Forums? i'm comfortable with number theory, but induction always trips me up on the algebra, i can't "see" that a certain formula can become another one to show that LHS = RHS.

literally killing myself

it's because in western countries for the last 30 years hollywood has been pushing the LEL MATH IS FOR NERDS meme and the "I'm just not a "Math PERSON" "meme meanwhile in asian countries they've all been told that if you want to BE ANYTHING you need to be good at math because whiet people don't know how to do it

How did you guys do in your first semester?

I'm doing fine in maths but I'm struggling in algorithms and C.

>it's because in western countries for the last 30 years hollywood has been pushing the LEL MATH IS FOR NERDS meme and the "I'm just not a "Math PERSON"
nobody pushes it, if anything they push for everyone to learn math, math is geniunely boring for most people, asians just dont have souls so they do whatever they're told

you sound like you'd be a great web programmer

Sorry, this thread isn't for little dropout bitches like you.
Now go to bed sweetie, the adults are talking

Calculus is just a class where they dump all the highschoolers into because it's the easiest to guage their math abilities. Often 90% of people incoming to university have learned math totally and utterly incorrectly so this is why Calc is forced just because it was a one-size fits all graduates type of subject.

This is talked about on hacker news all the time, and actual professors in these schools respond why they force kids into calc, that said there is a ton of applications for real analysis in compsci and differential eq

Watch the MIT lectures on Discrete Math/Induction and the CMU lectures

scs.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Podcast/Podcast.ashx?courseid=bcf8243e-cf18-481f-960f-3c5b26fbb69b&type=mp4 and also MIT's ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-fall-2010/video-lectures/

you need it if you are doing anything in 3D, AI, or statistics, and the like.

I had to take calc 1, 2, and multivar for my cs degree, along with ordinary diff eqs. I got an A in each class, but didn't like it at all. I would wager that calculus and all its branches are the MOST BORING kind of math.

I didn't really start enjoying math until discrete and basic combinatorics. It's a real shame that high-school mathematics is focused towards calculus, these kids grow up and get to college without any exposure to fun math and lose confidence

I've honestly never had a use for calculus in my 11 years of programming, save for the for loop being a sigma function, basically.

Kek, I actually wrote that way back when.

If you check that thread I updated it with better material which I have here: functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

Math is something I found you just 'get' after doing it enough. By doing it enough I mean solving problems, doing proofs, ect. You just keep doing it and doing it and one day it all clicks. It's like learning to play the drums where at first you suck at keeping time with your feet and hands then one day you figure it all out.

tl;dr just keep practicing hard math problems, that have solutions available to look at after you've tried to figure it out. One day you'll just figure it all out by yourself

Serious question, if you're not doing DSP do you ever use like any math for computer engineering?

>implies anyone is a dropout when in fact that person about which they are implying the thing is actually not a dropout

To calculate square roots

Trigonometric functions as well but I'm not all too sure

You don't need to know calculus to program, you just need basic algebra and simple logic.

of course

>you just need basic algebra and simple logic.
Incidentally you only need to know those two things to learn calculus as well.