Are writers intellectual?

Are writers intellectual?

I don't consider them as intellectual.

Video games are the only actively anti-intellectual medium.

i dont consider artists, writers, philosophers etc intellectuals

>blah blah blah
>it's because I said so!!

if your work is objectively useless, and does not have any objective, measurable standards, its just useless bullshit
actual intellectuals: doctors, engineers, scientists, hell even electricians and various technicians, at least these guys actually help/do

Interesting. What's your opinion of Camus, Foucault and Satre? They're your exports and the current ideological punching bags on Sup Forums so they must be doing something of the sort

>Literature nobel prize

it would be seriously meaningless to call artists/philosophers/writers intellectuals because literally everyone is an artist and literally everything is art....
if i smear my feces on a piece of paper, voila, this is art, and i am an artist now, and by definition also an intellectual, just like literally every single human bean on the planet, wew lad, such smart

I find it funny and sad you Europeans are detesting literature and art when your entire continent is rich in beautiful works. Just because the last decade or two has had blank canvases counter as art doesn't mean the past few centuries should be tossed out the window.

No.

Now go back to /lit/.

They're our exports for the unwashed leftist plebs, our real writers are Racine, Balzac, Voltaire, Baudelaire, La Rochefoucauld, etc.

>you Europeans are detesting literature and art

Said no one ever.

I wear glasses, I occasionally read books and I don't act like a spaz. That makes me smart. I guess I am an intellectual.

Sartre was a shithead.
He wrote
"To shoot down a European is to … destroy an oppressor and the man he oppresses at the same time: there remain a dead man and a free man…"

I love art, I consider literature useless though.

>implying I'm actually going to read this thread and not make up assumptions on what it's about
L A
M O

we are the fucking retard atm

there used to be some p smart write guys but now it's all big shit

>le STEM master race xD
you need to be 18+ to post here

its not detesting, it's just that there's literally everywhere a whole bunch of pretentious hipster good for nothing useless bullshitters everywhere thinking they are somehow important to me while reality is they could all die and my life would remain 100% the same, meanwhile if doctors and engineers started randomly dying id be making myself a stone age axe and chasing squirrels to survive or something

I am enlightened by my intelligence not the writings of some phony god.

Ah, c'est toi qui m'as balancé ça l'autre jour sur /fr/.

Sartre était un con, mais plus personne ne le lit aujourd'hui, sauf quelques nouvelles et un roman que les gauchistes aiment bien.

Sartre est plus mort que s'il était mort au Moyen Âge.

well your meme post certainly made me reconsider all of my opinions instantly
>A FUCKING LEAF

Sounds like some cuck level thinking, I just read he married a feminist also

Without STEM you'd still be carving your precious books on marble

Literally cuck level actually.
Sartre had an open relationship with her. I heard that he invited camus over to dinner or something and tried to get him to fuck her.

Without philosophy there wouldn't be an S in STEM, and therefore no T and E.

t. physics graduate

>physics graduate
I have a master's degree in physics, git gud m8

That doesn't mean all literature is bad user
I agree theres too many people doing this bullshit these days, you have no idea how many middle aged women write bullshit books about their boring life then ask me to read it it's infuriating

Still that doesn't make all writers bad as a whole

From a pure usefulness point of view they contributed a lot to law, which protects your rights (in theory)
To administration, which is an important thing like it or not
To politics as well, without them you maybe wouldn't have salary you'd be a serf
This is a small portion of writers mind you.

The others provide entertainment which is not actually a bad thing imo. Again from a pure practical point of view : it makes money for the country's coffers, it can also spread your propaganda, see hollywood for example. Would the US government ever say Hollywood is useless ? Fuck no

STEM isn't really what the word "intellectual" is meant to describe, it really is meant for people who are "smart but useless".

Well, he was also a deep anti-American, for example he supported the Cuban revolution and the Vietmins only by anti-Americanism.

He supported terrorism "Terrorism is certainly a terrible weapon but oppressed people don't have any other weapon." He rejoiced of the death of Jewish athletes during the Olympic Games of Munich in 1972 by Arab people.

oh, than my whole understanding of it is wrong

how come there's no word for "smart AND useful", or is there and I just dont know it?

no I agree completely, art and writing is great, hell I am reading children of hurin from tolkien right now and its extremely good
it all makes life much more enjoyable, but I swear you have to use a ton of hyperbole and always say how you think art is completely useless, or else those damn good for nothing hipster faggots start jumping all over the place wanking their dick in your face how oh so great and important they are

if I had to be deserted on an island they all very well know I'd pick the doctors and engineers first and wouldnt give a shit if the rest of them dies out

Well that makes sense, i thought you were completely opposed to books in general. I agree those people suck.

They are.