How did Australia and NZ keep the brit accent while Canada and the US evolved into losing it?

How did Australia and NZ keep the brit accent while Canada and the US evolved into losing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent
cnn.com/2015/10/29/living/australia-accent-alcohol-theory-feat/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=E8zOMO8Dy7M
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck
abc.net.au/radionational/programs/booksandarts/throat-singing/3806534
mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents
smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/when-did-Americans-Lose-British-accents-ask-smithsonian-180955291/?no-ist
reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1sayfu/eli5_how_did_the_american_accent_develop_after/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they were coloinized later than us

They don't have a British accent they just say our words

French influence, perhaps?

french, germans, italians, scandinavians, the bastard irish and all the other races that melted into this big steaming pot

lol uk and new zealand kept sucking englands dick while america got independent. Since Canada is pretty much America lite the accent just came over the border. all of you canadian faggots live within like 10 miles from the us border. Dont argue your culture is different.

I'm a teenager: the post

nice false premise, leaf

Brits sounded more like Americans do now when they first colonized.

I've heard this a lot but what's the proof exactly?

your whole damn country is an edgy teenager that needs to kill itself.

Aristocratic americans used to have british-esque accents up to the late 1800s

summer is here

Because there are next to no ethnic Brits in the USA while they're the majority in that prison colony.

According to American Community Survey in 2009, Americans reporting British ancestry are 40,234,652, or 13.0% of the total U.S. population, a significant drop from the 1980 United States Census where 49,598,035 reported as having English ancestry and 61,311,449 reported as having British ancestry.[2] Using the self reported 2010 census figures British Americans are the largest European ancestry group of all. However, this figure is likely a serious undercount, as a large proportion of Americans of British descent have a tendency (since the introduction of a new 'American' category in the 2000 census) to identify as simply Americans[4][5][6][7] or if of mixed European ancestry, identify with a more recent and differentiated ethnic group.[8] Eight out of the ten most common surnames in the United States are of British origin.[9]

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent
>'Consciously acquired'

We speak the original English accent. The one spoken in Britain and Australia is an evolution of ours.

There is none. It's just a dumb thing someone said and people decided to believe it without any evidence, like when people say your blood is blue when its inside your body but turns red when it reacts to the oxygen in the air.

...yes?

I've never heard of people saying that but it sounds moronic as fuck. Just pinch your cheeks and see if they turn blue lmao.

See
Dumb leafposter

sorta true. i mean, we couldn't have added "r"s before consonants and added the nasal "a;" it had to have been in british english when they colonized us when then faded away. but i don't think queen elizabeth spoke with an american accent.

It's because Aussie prisoners were degenerate drunks.

cnn.com/2015/10/29/living/australia-accent-alcohol-theory-feat/index.html

whoa lad

this board is a blue board, and that means we keep it bully-free OK?

>CNN
ah yes, very impressive

What Yanks consider an English accent is Received Pronunciation, which was only spoken by 3% of Brits in 1970. Regional British/Irish English accents are much older and of the two biggest differences between American English and RP (rhoticism and the pronunciation of 'a' in 'bath') they share the American pronunciation.

>melbourne's victoria university
>taking a nonsensical shit on anything that seems australian
colour me surprised

Newfoundland still has an accent

youtube.com/watch?v=E8zOMO8Dy7M
youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck

Antipodean accents are basically a continuation of RP's relaxation of vowel sounds.

Because we're not cucks

The general american accent is closer to old english than most British accents.

They changed, we didn't.

The trump frog was the dead giveaway.

they're all completely different accents you stupid fucking chink

This is actually a really important topic. A lot of Canadian's don't realize how much our accents have changed in 100 years. Listen to old Canadian recordings from the 1900s and it's very different to how we speak now. It's sort of sounds like if everybody was Donald Sutherland.

The point is that we're right beside the Americans, with their larger population and popular culture pull we drown in American influence, American TV, music, movies, sports. It's directly effected how Canadians now speak and it's directly tied with the birth of mass media and the American dominance of it. Our lame little projects like the CBC, or even changing our flag and other things to try to build a "Canadian" self image just ended up weakening resistance to American media power. Read Marshall McLuhan and George Grant to get an idea what I'm talking about.

>Search google images for Dean Frenkel
>This is what comes up
CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
abc.net.au/radionational/programs/booksandarts/throat-singing/3806534

>mysterious fedora beast appears
oh I am laffing

When exactly did numale faggots ruin fedoras forever? Back in the day only real men wore them...like Carey Grant or Gregory Peck.

This has been proven wrong so many times please stop being a retard

They didn't, and the accents vary all over. Honestly I feel like it varies most from person desu to be honest honestly.

this tbqh
Melbourne is "FUCKING A WHITE MALE" central

I thought he was being ironic

Nope retard that's a myth

American TV has had a massive influence on the way we speak and really culture in general. the internet has made many Canadians stop using proper English spelling too

Source? Proofs?
Rhoticism and the trap-bath split alone make American inherently closer to the English spoken when America was colonized than RP. Obviously American English has changed too but not to the same extent.

funnily enough, the same thing has happened in brazil

brazilian and portuguese accents are very different, but the africans from former portuguese colonies sound a lot like the portuguese

Actually they both sounded more like Irish, based on rhymes and misspellings of the day. "Convert" rhymed with "depart", and "boiled" was like "biled".

ayy i fink we sound excakly tha same aswel g

Please, learn english. You're giving us a bad name, 55chan.

If you live in major cities you'd notice the accent is a lot more different than other areas.
Like in Melbourne you'd here more yank talk like DUDE and the typical californian slang

Literally nothing is wrong is wrong with his English in that post besides not using capitals and full stops.

>irony
>off the charts

Do people in Melbourne say nice american words tubular, bomb dot com, and hashtag-awkward?

Most of the world think that Brits speak RP, but they don't realize that RP is like 5% of British population.

"one big factor in the divergence of the accents is rhotacism. The General American accent is rhotic and speakers pronounce the r in words such as hard. The BBC-type British accent is non-rhotic, and speakers don't pronounce the r, leaving hard sounding more like hahd."

"People back in England noted the quirky new ways Americans were speaking English within a generation of the colonists’ arrival. Over time, the changes went beyond accent to include different words and grammatical structures, adding up to a new dialect. Dialects have two main causes. The first is isolation; early colonists had only sporadic contact with the mother country. The second is exposure to other languages, and the colonists came into contact with Native American languages, mariners’ Indian English pidgin and other settlers, who spoke Dutch, Swedish, French and Spanish. All of these languages influenced American English, as did the English-speaking colonists’ origins in different parts of England, Wales and Scotland. Later, as metropolitan centers such as Boston and New York City had more contact with England, they adopted the then-trendy r-less accent of the English upper class."

"TL;DR version -- Accents develop over time because communities are not in daily conversation with one another."

mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents

smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/when-did-Americans-Lose-British-accents-ask-smithsonian-180955291/?no-ist

reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1sayfu/eli5_how_did_the_american_accent_develop_after/

>American TV has had a massive influence on the way we speak and really culture in general.

>be on tramping trip
>in group with some American exchange students
>two of the other New Zealanders unconsciously slip up their accent and occasionally pronounce a sentence in Yankspeak
>mfw

>tooboolur

Here read this

no, they stuff like wicked, just millenials though

New England & Georgia accent comes from England.

New York/New Jersey accent comes from Italy and Ireland. Also, they talk loud because it's a crowded place so they have to project their voice.

Hillbilly accent comes from Northern Ireland. It sounds a little sing-songy.

Midwest accent comes from Germany which is kinda like a flat straightforward language. Midwesterners are anti-bullshit like Germans (before they became brainwashed apologists)

Yooper accent comes from Sweden. Oh jah! Oh jeez!

California surfer dude accent just comes from being stoners.

California faggot accent comes from being spoiled whiny cunts in gated communities. Unfortunately, these cunts have a monopoly in Hollywood and people who watch Hollywood movies start talking like them too. This accent is becoming more and more ubiquitous even in other parts of the country and other accents are dying out.

I don't know what a Mid-atlantic accent sounds like because I'm from there. Though, I do know that my home state of Delaware has a distinct accent where I shit you not they pronounce their R's like W's. It might stem from the fact that everyone in ''''Delawew''''is autistic.

It's the UK that changed, not us

But we don't have the accent.

none of that disagrees with what I said: I never claimed that American English was an exact replica of how British English used to sound, merely that it was closer to how it used to sound (and how regional British/Irish still are) than RP.

Nope, read this retard and stop going
>WE WUZ SHAKEZPEAR

real answer is that we aren't as mixed or diverse as the USA, where Americans had all of continental Europe, the majority of our population was from the Isles
I'm sure if we had a larger population our accent would change and that seems to be where we're headed

You never said anything about RP at the start though. You just generalized, is my Yorkshire accent a new accent and the yanks the true accent too? Quit spreading stupid shit people will listen

Smart lad

what the fuck is RP?

role playing

thank you for this informative informational post.

This. The accent that is now believed to have been spoken during Shakespeare's life is different than the modern English accent, but still noticeably British. In reality, it's nothing like the American accent.

You sound butthurt.