learncodeacademy
funfunfunction
computerphile
codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md (embed)

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/ (embed)
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/ (embed)

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

qtchart.com
qtchart.com/?user=ExampleChart
drawasaurus.org/room/1
youtube.com/watch?v=1hzEpRoMGD0
stackoverflow.com/jobs/136115/entry-level-software-engineer-web-biz-national-yelp?sec=False&pg=1&offset=1&q=yelp
realclearpolitics.com/video/
talkpython.fm/episodes/show/111/pythonic-career-advice-and-more
github.com/reactjs/react-modal/blob/master/src/components/Modal.js#L23
datamarket.azure.com/dataset/5BA839F1-12CE-4CCE-BF57-A49D98D29A44#terms
searx.me/?q=penis&categories=general&format=json
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is this safe enough for handling http basic auth on my app's api endpoints?

sub http_basic_authenticate {
my ($self) = @_;

my $auth = $self->req->header('authorization');
$auth =~ s/Basic //;
$auth = decode_base64($auth);

my ($user, $pass) = split(':', $auth);

return 1 if $user eq $self->config('api_user')
&& $pass eq $self->config('api_pass');

return 0
}

Code is in Perl by the way

Reposting from the end of the last thread. I promise I won't shill too much in the future.

I made this: qtchart.com
It fills in pic relateds. You can also save your chart as a page and link to it/edit it later.
Example profile: qtchart.com/?user=ExampleChart

user from earlier suggested switching off the requirement for all chart elements to be filled in before generating the chart image (there's no such restriction on saving your chart as a userpage).

At the moment I know there are some issues with element overflow at certain resolutions, and the account management interface is missing from the mobile version.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions, and I'll start working on them tomorrow.

I was considering adding a matchmaking feature if this picked up any steam.

Someone posted a really useful link that compared a bunch of Javascript technologies. It had write ups for frontend stuff like React, vue, ember, etc., and for backend stuff like node.js frameworks too. Can anyone repost it?

How do I build a portfolio as someone who's just started learning?

Probably, since you don't seem to hash your password, but then again I don't know to much about Perl and Web APIs.

*Probably not

Oh smart. Wouldn't think to do that with static single user api details. Its not a public api per say, its just a couple of endpoints for a partner's web hooks

guys, come play with us
drawasaurus.org/room/1

shill away, my friend, once per thread is ok. Seriously. Nobody wants to post their shit here on /wdg/ because they're afraid of getting doxxed or whatever, so we always have to beg people to show us their products.

First, take some time to learn shit, you can't build a portfolio if you're still struggling with array indexes. Once you got that part covered, take a book or video series that guides you through a whole project (pic related, for example) and do the whole book. Then do it again, from cover to cover, and then the third time you kinda follow the book but building your own website. Keep repeating with different projects until you get hired. Find a girl. Settle down. If you want, you can marry.

tfwnogf.com

rate me.

It was my first time using PHP.

>tfwnogf.com

lol pretty cool, and you've had this up since 2013? Tons of visitors I see

Anyone?

Yeah, about 130 pages were lost when my old host decided to drop my entire server a few years ago.

That's when I learned to use automated backups.

Just changed the layout a little since the homepage wasn't really necessary.

Is 27 too old to get into webdev with no prior knowledge? I need an out from dead end jobs.

Does webdev have a stable future? Seems like it could go either way.

I'll post a couple more.

fundev.tv - posted earlier. Basically tools for twitch streamers. Just released a new tool today that let's viewers vote on games for streamers to play. The list of games has affiliate links. Pictured because you can't really see any of it besides bootstrap shit.

crowdcookie.com - Not even on search engines yet, haven't really worked on it much. People can write in fortunes for others to open. You can share a picture of your cookie right to twitter (it works, but breaks the layout)

Let's see, shushnotes. Basically you can leave anonymous notes for anyone in the world. I don't know why it's not launched yet. Not happy with the design I guess.

The last 2 are being compiled into mobile apps with Cordova.

Dev does, design doesn't. You can't really drag and drop logic like you can buttons and pictures.

I started when I was 26. Mobile development will be more awesome in a couple of years, but start with web development first.

>Is 27 too old to get into webdev with no prior knowledge?
not at all

>Does webdev have a stable future?
very much so. even mobile and desktop apps start to use web technologies more and more

>Is 27 too old to get into webdev

hoping not, since I'm 31 and making the jump. There is ageism, but if you've got the knowledge then you can fight it.

>crowdcookie.com
nice, you seem to know your shit. Please tell me all that is enough to land a job.

Honestly, LaunchCode told me it wasn't enough.

"Just basic storing/retrieving from a database"

Like most webpages can't be described that way. I did pass their interview though. Terrible company. They send emails asking for project updates, I said "Take me off your list, I got a job already". I kept getting project update emails. Never got an actual job interview through them either.

>hoping not, since I'm 31
I'm 28 and just got my first dev job in January.
Everyone there is between 26 and 40 so don't worry about being too old.

If you're the guy that was interviewing at LaunchCode St.Louis MO then i remember ya from some weeks ago. So what job did you end up getting and how?

I'm not, I was the other LaunchCode guy. Both of us got nothing out of LaunchCode.

That dude ended up getting a job on his own sometime in March if I remember right. I got mine after posting an ad to craigslist. They just asked some whiteboard questions and called to make an offer right after I left the interview. They didn't even look at my resume or portfolio.

>I got mine after posting an ad to craigslist
wait, did you post the ad? How much $$ did they offer you?

what's the common age bracket in your webdev office?
[25 - 45] ?

I too applied for LaunchCode. Did their 3 question test on Hackerrank and aced them all. After both interviews they said they would contact me shortly. It's been a year later and no response. I emailed them about in about 2 month intervals for updates but nope, no response.

Hey guys, so, this university near me is having a web development bootcamp for 6 months.

>HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Database Theory, Bookshelf.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line

Is what will be learned, but could change based on demands.

When I called the guy about it, he said you will be full stack web developer after this course, both front end and back end.

They will help with career placement, and what not.

Has anyone else attend one of these web development bootcamps, and if so, how was your experience, what did you learn, and would you recommend it?

>9500
or
>8500 if you sign up early enough.

Since its a continuing education course, I wouldn't even know what loans I can apply for to pay for it.

Guys
Do I really need a nested foreach if I am going through a sequence say from 0-10 and each time I am going through this sequence I am checking if the sequence number is within an array.

>Database Theory
>still teaches MongoDB

Waste of time. Why the fuck would you know better, then fuck everything up like that?

Sort the array, then you don't need to completely search it every time. Or if the series is that predictable, search through the array one time and do a single condition on each item (> 0 and < 10).

Ah, so for example
Loop is 0-10
Array is [3,4]
Loop starts at 0 and checks against the array, if there is anything at first position, no, then go to next loop position that is 1 and so on and if it 's done go back again and point to the second element and loop through?

I guess it will be better just to take college courses instead, huh?

Sick Cat Stevens reference

there are some layout fuckups on firefox
also pls let user use regular metric system as a setting or something

Question for self-taught webdev currently in work: at what point did you know you were ready?

when you read a job description and you are confident you can do what they say. Also, you're never ready. Also, companies don't even know what they want. Also, just fucking apply, what's the difference. Also, nobody will hire you anyways. Also, why even live?

Anyone might know why the clear(second line) method also clears the taskParametersTemp variable I specifically saved so I can use it later?

public void updateTask(@RequestBody Task task){
Collection taskParametersTemp = task.getTaskParameters();
task.getTaskParameters().clear();
for(TaskParameter param: taskParametersTemp) {
if(StringUtils.isNotBlank(param.getValue())) {
task.addTaskParameter(param);
}
}
tasksRepository.save(task);
}

>60480418
I came for webdev advice and left with an existential crisis so thanks I guess

Meant for

chuckled

lol more serious answer now: most job ads are full of shit, it's HR throwing in buzzwords just for the sake of it. If you have *some* skills, and you can *sorta* whip up a website, then you can start applying, even to those jobs that list 50 required languages and 3 years of experience for a junior position. The truth is, nobody meets those requirements, so they'll take whoever comes closer. Fuck it, just apply once you're comfortable with your own shit.

This guy always has good advice:
youtube.com/watch?v=1hzEpRoMGD0

Check out this ad for an entry position:
stackoverflow.com/jobs/136115/entry-level-software-engineer-web-biz-national-yelp?sec=False&pg=1&offset=1&q=yelp

Notice how fucking vague they are in every requirement:
>Some experience with at least one popular server-side framework
>Desire to learn
>Basic familiarity with a Linux environment
>Belief in well-tested code

Do you have some experience, desires, basic familiarity and belief in shit? Fucking apply.

Have you guys ever tried to host Laravel project on a free shared hosting site? I want to do it just for some personal testing. Is that possible?
Any tips would be helpful.

You seem to know what you're talking about

I have no degree and currently work at Walmart, but I know basic cs stuff (big O, searching, sorting, …) and can code some basic mobile apps.

What are my chances of getting a codemonkey job making mobile apps for like $15 an hour?

i will literally move to siberia if i have to

Marriage is a meme.

>tfw
make the >TFWNOGF.com an anchor pls
really cool shit tho, this will now be my drunk vent place

the same way that being rich is a meme
it's a good meme if you can pull it off

Lol I have no idea what I'm talking about. I was stuck at a dead-end job, stumbled upon Sup Forums and started learning how to code (I had done some back in uni but then never again). Been at it for the past 4/5 months, and now I'm feeling ready to start applying, probably next month. I quit my job 3 months ago, now on neetbucks, so no monetary pressure, I can study all day long.

Follow my advice here , follow books or videos that guide you through projects. Build a bunch of those (or just one, who cares) and have it ready to show off.

Also, if you're in the US, you're on easy-mode. Also, network like a bitch. Go to meetup.com, find groups pertaining to your areas of interest and just show up. Put on a big smile and say "Hi, I don't know shit, but I'm here to learn!"

And remember, we're all going to make it...

For 8500 I could live for 6 months on my own and do nothing besides study all of those topics at my own pace instead of the pace of others.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON OUT HERE THAT DESPISES CLIENT SIDE RENDERING

>there are some layout fuckups on firefox
This issue is thanks to the decision to go for a design which uses small, viewport width dependent borders because I was sick of the gigantic static borders on the desktop versions of most recently-designed sites which waste 3/4 of your screen.

I discovered that the drawback to this kind of responsiveness is that layout issues can crop up at any resolution (although giving everything a once-over at the edge of every breakpoint probably suffices).

I'll look into making the title and button text scale with the grid column / enclosing element width.

>also pls let user use regular metric system as a setting or something
I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

I don't like making special cases for single elements like "height" (although I sort of have already), but I do like adding buttons. I don't think I'm willing to change the generated image, so it would just be an option to view the existing ranges in inches as rounded values in cm (with the first value in a range being one cm more than the end value of the last range) in the form, and nothing would change on the backend. Your preferred measurement system would not be saved.

In my experience really generic job ads like that one are rare and always get shitloads of applicants.

I spent a ton of time screwing around with different projects in Ruby, Python and Java before starting to apply places and realizing that the only entry-level work was in webdev. Didn't get many bites.

Then I spent a month and a bit building a website in React + Bootstrap with all the other meme bells and whistles so I could start applying to the billions of postings looking for React + Bootstrap. Now I'm working on a WebGL project while I wait for replies. I'll let you guys know if my strategy pays off.

Why is this website so fucking sluggish? Runs like shit on my laptop and desktop:

realclearpolitics.com/video/

Any Canadian web developers here?

How is the job market right now for front-end developers trying to break into the industry? What about if they don't have a university degree?

As long as it has decent PHP support it should work. Problem can arise from Laravel not working in subdirectory.

>Also, if you're in the US, you're on easy-mode. Also, network like a bitch. Go to meetup.com, find groups pertaining to your areas of interest and just show up. Put on a big smile and say "Hi, I don't know shit, but I'm here to learn!"
o-okay I'll try to leave the basement and do this

Thanks for the advice. Solidarity.

yes

>In my experience really generic job ads like that one are rare
Granted, most ads are not as generic and 'easy-going' as that one, but still, they are out there, gotta keep your hopes up.

>I spent a ton of time screwing around with different projects in Ruby, Python and Java before starting to apply places and realizing that the only entry-level work was in webdev. Didn't get many bites.
So you were going for a non-webdev job at first? Yeah, I'll agree that those are a lot harder to break into.

I'm not saying there's thousands of jobs out there for us idiots who've just completed an HTML tutorial, I'm just saying it is possible. This is one of the few white-collar fields, I believe, where you can make money without a degree and without super awesome skills. I'd say this is the most meritocratic field right now, and with the most amount of openings.

allright so Im making a todo list and I figured out how to make the task text go crossed out and gray upon checking the checkbox, but I cant figure out how to reverse this process upon unchecking

here is the function for this

checkbox.addEventListener('change', function() {
if(this.checked){
this.parentNode.style.color="#b2b2b2"
this.parentNode.style.textDecoration="line-through"
}
else{
this.parentNode.style.color=black;
this.parentNode.style.textDecoration="none"
}

})

and yeah the function doesnt work, or rather the secod part of the funciton doesn't work

>talkpython.fm/episodes/show/111/pythonic-career-advice-and-more
listen to this podcast, at 32:00, or a bit before if you want to. People are getting hired at these meetups. I think it really is worth the effort. We're all a bit anti-social here, but no pain no gain. Besides, it should be a somewhat easy crowd, mostly nerds and dweebs, not too many brogrammers hopefully. Plus, there should be a whole bunch of these groups if you're in a mid-size city, so try with one and if you don't like it, try another one, til you find a group that suits you.

Stay strong, hikikomori-bro

I guess I just need to find a wingman bro to take with me in order to alleviate the awkward lone wolf part of going to these sorts of things. I have a hard time striking up conversation with random strangers, especially nerds with self-esteem and ego problems (not casting any stones, but it's common with software people)

change
black

to
"black"

that's a great strategy, whatever helps you deal with that anxiety. Just don't take your mom, that'd be weird.

what if I bring my gf? ;_;

How do I model my SQL database without making it into a clusterfuck?

don't, unless you want her to get gangbanged in the bathroom by a bunch of muscular Ruby brogrammers while you just watch from afar, you limp-dicked HTML faggot.

Oh wait, you do want that?

just wanted to say that i felt creepy just reading this, i get that you're memeing but to even think to say this kind of thing is pretty gross dude

sounds like you need go to outside

thanks
Im really glad that this was the problem and not the whole function concept

lol ok, I was just throwing some banter around. too much, I guess, apologies

I know, I was just trying to make you feel awkward by changing up my shitposting style, experiment failed I guess

now we can both upvote each other :D

Can you 2 faggots shut the fuck up?

>tfw refactor a major feature and it just werks because you know how to write maintainable extensible code

no lol

I just read all the time from industry folk shit like

>plan to retire when you're 40
>you are ancient when you hit 35

I feel like you'd almost be forced to find some seat warmer job in IT when you hit 40. I am gonna need to have an income until I am at least 55, you know what I mean?

Is going from fullstack after 5 or so years into a sys admin type position a reasonable move?

I have two instances of react-modal in my app, one requires css animations. how do I make it so the css only affects one instance?

.ReactModalPortal > div {
opacity: 0;
}

.ReactModal__Content {
transition: opacity 500ms ease-in-out;

&--after-open {
opacity: 1;
}

&--before-close {
}
}

ReactModalPortal is generated automatically and I don't seem to be able to add a className to it

>react-modal
Huh, I'll have to take a look at that. I've just been using a Bootstrap wrapper component for modals.

>gangbanged in the bathroom by a bunch of muscular Ruby brogrammers
>implying they wouldn't be sucking each other instead

newfags use node
virgin wizzurds use lisp derivatives
hipster fagget code in ruby
pajeets deploy php apps on windows nt
real men use java

come on, everybody knows that

Please?

search the old threads, that's why we have a link up in the OP.

Stripe's API talks about "child arguments" in their API docs. Am I right to assume that I'm supposed to POST them as such?

argument[child_argument]=whatever

when you sign up to an API you get a certain amount of free queries per month. Let's say I want my site to use one of google's API's but I don't want to pay (cause it's a medium-sized site that I just want to test out). Can I get several API keys, one for each of my many emails, and then have my site rotate the key with each API query? Any way that would not work? Would Google realize all these queries are coming from the same server but with a different user key?

Just a random guess, I don't know what else goes in your networks.

github.com/reactjs/react-modal/blob/master/src/components/Modal.js#L23

Its from months ago. Archive is 48 hours only, no?

also, can anybody in the US tell me if they see the image in pic related in this link? Because it says "Service Unavailable in your market" to me, i wanna know if it's because I'm in europe. Thx!

datamarket.azure.com/dataset/5BA839F1-12CE-4CCE-BF57-A49D98D29A44#terms

How many applications have you guys applied before being accepted? I'm self taught and I haven't even got a single interview and I applied for 30 positions. Been teaching myself for 6 months now and I like to think I have a solid understanding.

Where are you located?

This typically goes against the terms of service for many APIs, but you could do it.

Different APIs will implement different ways of preventing stuff like this, but if you're low-scale it shouldn't be much of an issue.

With that being said, I wouldn't test Google's security, and if you need to make that many queries, you ought to be out of testing and in some sort of production, which means you should be able to pay for it.

If you can't, then your design is most likely flawed.

Toronto

>you ought to be out of testing and in some sort of production

I'm unemployed and just fucking around with projects. I don't wanna pay $30/month to do some google searches. But I'm worried that the 5k limit per month might not be enough.

One easy way to not hit my query limit so fast would be to cache the most popular searches, right? Never done this before, but I think that would work.

makes a good point, and even Google encourages caching in this scenario.

But my point still stands. If your app is going over a rate limit during testing, it's probably because your design is flawed (including not handling caching)

How do I make a site using positioning that won't break when you zoom in and out?

what exactly breaks when you zoom in and out?

why do you want to use an api to access generic search engine results, espcially if these are not free ?

also searx seems to have a free api
searx.me/?q=penis&categories=general&format=json

Google search was just an example, I'm more interested in other API's actually, but they all have the same feature: first couple of K for free, then you gotta pay up

the few i used in the past had hourly limits and you had to get in touch with site owners to raise it up for you if your application had value or something
has everything gone to shit or are you dealing with especially jewish api providers ?

can't fill "them" in it's bugged

How viable is it to sell Static Sites to stupid rednecks and spics?

I live in a shit town that is only alive and booming with small businesses that are very technophobic. I managed to gain their trust with regular "technical consulting and computer repair".

I'm on Summer break now from my college program and im heading into my final year next semester. I wanted to spend the Summer building a portfolio of projects so I have a decent resume for this time next year. What are some good webdev project ideas that I can spend my summer working on?