Learning and using vim is just a meme, right?

Learning and using vim is just a meme, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
github.com/mawww/kakoune
foicica.com/textadept/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

4u

yes. Just use gnu nano if you have any semblance of a life.

It takes half an hour to into vimtutor and know as much as you need for vim to beat out using notepad tier garbage.

Past that point the big advantage is well established community and support for if you want to into high-level text editing.

But if you want to become a wizard, you can't do better than Emacs.

nah. You can be sure that vi is on any system if not vim, and I didn't even bother with the fucking tutorial, I still use the arrow keys to navigate too.

You kind of have to use it if you want to do any kind of remote work.

That shit is great in admin circles. server admin dba admin. Anything where you live in ssh.

It's pretty useful actually, it can shave down the amount of time you spend editing a file by a lot if you know how to use it.

>go to presentation by localish Air Force base that develops/tests/maintains software for jets
>someone asks what tools they use
>"Development wise its all a Linux environment"
>wintards BTFO
>go freedom
>MAGA

>tfw planning on joining the Air Force and also a already a Linux wizard

It's gonna be fun

No, as someone who's pretty comfortable with both vim the editor and modal editing, it's not just a meme. However, the true power of vim is the modal editing, it's really advanced, but vim the editor, by itself, is kind of butt. package management isn't all that great, it's pretty bare of useful features, and muh terminal.

In all honesty, after using vim for over 4 years, I've now switched to Jetbrains products with IdeaVim plugin. I would most certainly not go without modal editing, and while environments outside of vim will always present pain points, the C#/F# support in Rider and VSCode is too good and the vim emulations are good enough.

>As of 2011, MS-DOS is still used in some enterprises to run legacy applications, such as this US Navy food service management system.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

I only know vi keys for roguelikes.

emacs is more fun

Of course. Emacs is superior in every way.

>Learning and using vim is just a meme, right?

Well, for someone like me who uses vim all day every day, it's not a "meme", it's a way of life.

>I don't want to put effort into learning something new Sup Forums pls validate me

>rich enough to drop million dollar bombs
>but can't find the money to upgrade the computers and software that manage the whole US Navy food server

if you don't usually use vim or emacs ur a n00b. idk emacs but i only sysadmin and code in vim except for the rare occasion i need netbeans for debugging. you can debug from vim though. i've done it. the keyboard shortcuts and regex will save you hundreds of hours per year and save you from carpal tunnel.

i'm not sure what modal editing is. can you go into more detail?

When you hit the caps lock key, you've entered into a different mode where all your alphabet letters are now capitalized. When you hold Ctrl your alphanumeric keys now produce other actions. In vim, there are these modes plus a few more, the main one being "Normal" mode, which is simply triggered by hitting Escape. There, your keys now do a bunch of different stuff, such as when you type "u" you undo, when you type "w" you move one 'word' forward. etc;

It has a few more; command mode (by typing colon, functions like a command prompt), visual mode (visual selection), operator pending mode (part of a neat composable Verb + Noun language you can use to do text operations), and mode (not much different in theory, but allows you to have even more convenient mappings).

So modal editing is about shortcuts and making them advanced and powerful, where you can do more than just your typical text operations. Also, there's the "s" command and "g" command. They're really powerful. But this post is getting long...

Legacy Windows software is actually better supported on modern Linux than it is on modern Windows.

oh right i use that all the time. i use that stuff all the time. i just forgot it was called 'modes.' i only ever use command mode, visual mode and (am i saying this right?) insert mode.

>command mode
>i never post here

:s/foo/bar/gc

my bread and butter ^

Yes, but normal mode is probably where vim shines the most, so if you're not using it, you're missing out quite a bit. And to prove the point that modal editing isn't exclusive to vim, several "modern" text editors have emacs bindings as well, plus there's a n ew modal editing "language" called kakoune;

github.com/mawww/kakoune

i use normal mode. i started using `hjklu` a couple years ago and `g` and `G ` like 5 yrs ago. i still use pgup/pgdn though sometimes. oh and i use the shit out of `/`. i should really go through an advanced tutorial and learn all the things tho.

Yes.

I've been using Linux for 20 years now and never learned vi or vim or emacs or any of the other silly memes. Pico was a thing then and nano is now.

Using MS-DOS is fine, but what the fug are they doing still using floppies.

management quality

learning is never bad

Armed forces tend to be big fans of the if it ain't broke don't fix it

>blacked

Fucking kys my dude

yes, learn emacs instead

Fucking vi almostly kill me

Poor peasant

>20 years
Emacs/Vm would save you a lot of time user

Naaah, I used to think that too until I actually tried my hand at it. It's actually very easy to use once you figure shit out (aka read the manual and remember the most useful/common commands, which you will since, well, you will use them all the time). Learning ed on the other hand is an exercise in complete autistic fuckery.

ye just use emacs

Not at all.
I use it every day. Muscle memory is a thing, and vim is really powerful.

VIM and Emacs are crap. They're dinosaurs from the history. Use something like Visual Studio Code instead. A much better user experience and you don't have to spend 50% of the time fighting your editor.

Why is emacs so hard to get into

For programming you can use other editors and still be effective.
For sys admins, I think vim is a necessity.
But sys admins should learn ed, and then use vim.
Everything in vim makes sense when you know ed.

The fact that you don't like them doesn't make them crap.

I use this foicica.com/textadept/
free, easy, platform independent and can be riced to hell and back

It's a good sysadmin / programmer tool 'cause it's just a pretty efficient editor for all kinds of structured text.

Vim in Emacs is superior in every way.

>knowing the source
kys

It's a secure, durable, and inexpensive form of backup

It's useful for editing small files and there are decent vim plugins for the good IDEs (IDEA and Visual Studio).

>ssh to server
>vim file.conf
Not a meme you need to know this

>not nano file.conf
fa gg ot

Doesnt nano use a gui and not run in a terminal like vim? Meaning you would need to install xorg and configure it to display nano? Because if so, that is fucking peasnt teir. If nano runs on the terminal like vim then you should still use vim because nano is for noobs

When I first considered it the thought was basically this.
>at worst I'll be as productive with it in insert mode as I would with any other editor, the potential for improvement is there though.
I'm no vim master but I don't regret using it, there's a way to do almost anything with it and you can customize and extend it to act exactly how you want it to, and it's the same on all the operating systems you use so you don't have to learn more than 1 editor, you just use the one you made.

thanks for showing everyone that you are indeed retarded
now kys

>says the nano user who is too baby to use vim like an adult

>hurr does nano even terminal
yes it does you faggot
>durrrrrrrrr vimmmmmmmmmmm ehehehe
vimdrones are the worst

I learned emacs just for org-mode, and it changed my life. emacs has more games than most other editors.

Sorry i dont use the rookie editor, keep nanofagging though, retard

Bullshit, the tutorial doesnt even explain how to copy from outside of vim and then paste into vim or vice versa. Thats an essential feature, obviously, and yet its conpletely skipped over.

What? It's the same as pasting/copying into/from terminal.

>using a local editor
>saying to learn vim for remote access instead of vi

Vim > vi

>being this retarded

vim is not always available. vi is. Go fuck yourself.

nvim > vim > vi

No.
Also switch to Arch/i3 and use Colemak.

It's just a text editor. What is the big deal?

EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS EMACS

>vi is
Which distro has vi by default?
It can't be provided by vim.

Your argument is basically empirically false and you are suffering cognitive dissonance from someone mentioning a text editor.

>floppies
>durable

>tfw my predecessor symlinked vi to ed because vi was too complicated