Using Debian ever

>using Debian ever
>software is from 2010 and considered obsolete by better distros
>packages are compiled by each developer, no way to know exactly how a package was built, what was added or changed
>retarded package naming
>they still use mailing lists for reporting bugs
>deb sucks
>apt sucks
>dependencies
>bad defaults
>debian developers make more bugs than fixing existing bugs (#363516)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Debian's good. In fact it's done a lot of good for normalfags looking to switch from Windows (see Ubuntu)

>>using Debian ever
>>software is from 2010 and considered obsolete by better distros
Let me guess, you need to have the latest version because... It's the latest? The only packages that absolutely need to be on the latest version are browsers, and maybe Wine and LibreOffice. And there's back ports for that.
>>packages are compiled by each developer, no way to know exactly how a package was built, what was added or changed
Compared to AUR and PPAs they're far more transparent.
>>retarded package naming
Not an argument.
>>they still use mailing lists for reporting bugs
Instead of GitHub or forums. What's the problem?
>>deb sucks
>>apt sucks
[Citation needed]
>>dependencies
That's how GNU works, retard.
>>bad defaults
Debian has very sane defaults. Especially if you compare them to something shitty like Arch or Ubuntu.
>>debian developers make more bugs than fixing existing bugs (#363516)
Oh boy, that one case sure showed me.

Who cares, where's Debian 9

>no kernel drivers post-2010 because muh stability
>no KMS
>no DRM
>no btrfs
>no KVM/Xen, bad performance
>Xorg runs as root
>/dev/mem is enabled
>debian has zero security protections
>selinux disabled and not even installed
>default packages include linux vidja and other waste of space

Who cares, where's Debian 9

2 months for 8.9, 4 more months for 9, so around 8 months just to be sure it's stable enough

I'm far from fucking normal, but yeah.

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 as server. Is there some way that I can update my server to 17.04?

Should I just install 8 and upgrade from there? I might have misplaced my Debian 8 disc and I would hate to create a Debian disc just to get obsoleted in a few months.

>named after its dead (via suicide thanks to Sup Forums) creator's cheating wife
>super old
>normalfag distro

yeah sure, I guess it'd be better if you have / in a dedicated partition though

>named after its dead (via suicide thanks to Sup Forums) creator's cheating wife

Wait she actually cucked him?
I thought it was a meme.

Is stallman the only non cucked one from the entire community? And I mean non cucked because he's too much of a neckbeard to even get a wife to cuck him.

If you look at the awk package, someone fixed a bunch of errors, but the maintainer won't approve the changes without looking at it, but cbf actually checking it either, so the fucking package sits in limbo.

Debian sucks but it's a decent generic distro for using w/Guix, which is all I use it for. That and I need to run a proprietary pile of shit in order to configure an Ubiquity Unifi device so am stuck with Debian.

The worst part about Debian is the piss poor documentation like the feeble Debian Handbook which is outdated by years, annoying to navigate and should be built into the OS as a manpage.

>linux is only good for bleeding edge ricing packages
>I've literally never worked with a device running linux in a production environment

>(You)
>sage

what is your solution then? how do you deliver a secure, free, functional OS?

>piss poor documentation
if you actually used debian you would know this isn't true. unlike windows who just fucks your shit up when it updates, running sid is very user centric and doesn't just fuck your shit up

You can run 9 right now, just upgrade to testing or unstable.
Or just use debian 8 and upgrade from the web when 9 officially comes out

the reason arch has "good documentation" is a virtue of necessity since its barebones autistic shit. didn't they propose removing man pages at some point?

literally server distros or anything with LTS in the name.
Let me guess, you need to have the latest version because... It's the latest? The only packages that absolutely need to be on the latest version are browsers, and maybe Wine and LibreOffice. And there's back ports for that.
vulnerability fixes/updates, loss of functionality compared to other newer packages (see:Xfce settings lacking toggles on debian's 2 year old version)
>Compared to AUR and PPAs they're far more transparent
true all of these are worse than copr
>Instead of GitHub or forums. What's the problem?
Reada-fucking-bility I appreciate minimalism but the layout's fucked and I can't read fucking shit because the quotes are larger than the actual post
>Debian has very sane defaults. Especially if you compare them to something shitty like Arch or Ubuntu
what the fuck? do you even know what you're saying? Ubuntu has the most sane defaults for everything and Arch doesn't have defaults since its all user-generated tomfuckery

that was autists here on Sup Forums memeing it to death. Also:
>current year
>not using arch-anywhere or similar scripts to install arch
>laughingrespectableworkingclassfemales.tiff

Sudo apt full-upgrade

Not really. Hurd was originally going to be called Alyx in honor of his girlfriend. Then they broke up and she changed her sex. It's a man.

After that, Stallman renamed the kernel Hurd.

Debian is an LTS distro meant for servers and workstations, you autistic fuck. That's why it uses "outdated" software and maintains versions for five years.

>ubuntu is trash
>mint isn't too good
>fedora and arch are too bleeding-edge
>opensuse too weird
>debian is apparently bad too

what the fuck am i supposed to use, centos?

yeah, I'm actually running stretch right now, but it has some minor bugs though, so it's not the exact same as stable

Tails

None of them. If the community itself can't decide on what distro is good, how can anyone reasonably expect good advice as to why you should use it over something superior such as macOS?

i'm on debian testing

why is virtualbox gone from the repos?

This so fucking much, AND:
>No PPAs
>Installed a GUI when I made sure to not check anything GUI related, and only server stuff
>Installer locked up on my in VirtualBox
>Shilled on Sup Forums by MS so people think Linux is shit

thanks but no thanks

i've had success with debian but would switch to something else if debian isn't looking too good for the future.
I don't like macos, so i'll stick with some linux distro, thanks

if debian is so bad why do so many other distros use it as a base?

Because the entire Linux community is bad

Well yeah of course not, stables packages are old as fuck
I think its worth it

>>Installed a GUI when I made sure to not check anything GUI related, and only server stuff
Werked on my machine.

Oracle, apparently.
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466

It's just their autism at work

I'm just starting to try out openSUSE. btrfs is a bit odd, and the installer had a couple bugs, but otherwise I don't see what's too weird about it.

yeah that's true

I hate how every thing is rebranded in openSUSE.

Such as?

>>debian developers make more bugs than fixing existing bugs (#363516)
This is what I've been saying. The people have some kind of control complex and just patch shit because they can. Stupid fags.

I wish there was a more workstation-oriented distro.
is right, you only really need to backport a few applications, like a browser, maybe tools like Wine or something if you use that. I'd rather my DE and base operating system to be old but stable. KDE and Gnome niggers have made me distrust updating my DE ever.
Debian stable + backports is probably the best at this. Centos + EPEL + manually backporting your own shit is really the only other alternative, because Ubuntu LTS is trash.

because botnet bootloop is meme shill, bootloop.

kys

>regurgitating bullshit

if you don't want integration, enjoy your "vanilla" "it builds so we ship it"

debian puts in more work for a reason, it's just plebs don't understand

>>regurgitating bullshit
that's what you're doing

>integration
what?

>enjoy your "vanilla
I do, It all works together nicely with no nonsense patching

okay so bow at the benevolence of upstream and ship a 30,000 package distro with no holistic engineering. debian is policy and if you don't like that because you need your special snowflake insane gentoo flags or arch bullshit. debian is policy you ignorant child. if you don't like that fine but there is nothing wrong with patching and everyone does it. perhaps search for another ancient argument against debian and paste.

install bsd instead

What does this have to do with documentation.
Pajeet, no shill please

because the documentation is right there in the OS. every time you update youre getting documentation. it's part of the experience. if someone doesn't know this they're the fucking pajeet shill because every debian user knows this.

this desu

I didn't realize how much of a second class citizen I was until I abandoned the ball of tape code graveyard commonly known as "Linux".

for reference sid (rolling) is the exact opposite of windows where you update (or it does it on it's own), resets your defaults, breaks your shit, etc... it's funny now the shoe is on the other foot because windows only works if you don't actually do anything with your computer because any added complexity just gets bulldozered but i digress

>ball of tape code graveyard
stop pretending you're theo

theo wouldn't proselytize he's far too autistic

he has been interviewed though, but agree he keeps his fingers moving much more than his mouth

To which distros could Debian Sid be compared in terms of latest software?

sid is pretty much rolling release. most developers run it. it has much more recent software and gets quicker security updates than testing.

The brandings can be excluded in the installation.

Sadly Sid slows down a lot when there's a freeze on testing (such as right now).

Yeah true, but the stated goal is the new stable

Unironically, gentoo.

>most developers run it
Citation needed

freebsd

you could compile it yourself

if they didn't why would they be developers? they develop sid/testing in effort to reach a new stable release

It's another "Debian is too complicated and stable is old !" thread.
Do you feel so insecure about the distro you're using ? Debian is one of the few fine distro, you should rather go meming about Solus or Mint.

stay with Debian, trust me its the better than anything now.

Is using Sid a bad idea? A lot of people say so.

If you want to run newer software you're going to have to be willing to put in a little work, probably not much worse than any other updated distro.

Debian or Slackware

Daily reminder that Sup Forums drove Ian to suicide. Using debian is basically a form of penance.

Have any more details emerged about what happened?

Gentoo

Debian, Slackware and Gentoo are the only worthwhile Linux distributions.

Mint is great, don't let the shills tell you otherwise.

i use debian as home server distro, pretty comfy, everything works
why should i switch?

look at this
>Fedora
pretty good and stable even with bleeding packages
>Ubuntu
practically impossible to fuck up with this one.
>debian
shit, it's like Ubuntu but a million times worse
>OpenSUSE
I've seen very satisfied users if you use KDE

no, Ubuntu LTS is better suited for workstations since it does hold back but not 2 years (not five you dumbfuck). Honestly I can see why you'd want Debian on a workstation but it requires massive amounts of configuration.

because a polished turd is better than a regular one.
Ubuntu>>>>shit>>>>Debian

>software is from 2010 and considered obsolete by better distros
what is backports or just using testing/unstable

bait

Developers run bleeding edge so usually its:
Fedora Rawhide, Arch (non LTS) and Debian Testing.

>what is backports or just using testing/unstable
a 3 hour long process of overheating my computer installing a million packages because these fucks use stale ones. see

i miss ubuntufriend

he had valuable thoughts on all of this

Debian unstable > *.

desu I only use Arch because of the nvidia drivers

>Ubuntu 12.04 got security updates until recently (and still does for some corporate users)
>Debian Wheezy still receives security updates
You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

I do, rather than ubuntu vs debian I propose Fedora or Slackware as alternatives, always up to date with no crashes or breaking hardware.

>packages are old
agreed but as we all know, they're not old they're ""stable""
>packages are compiled by different people
you care? I don't
>retarded package naming
you mean like in any other distro?
>mailing list for reporting bugs
when did you last report one?
>deb sucks
because of *buntu it's very common and it just werks
>apt sucks
maybe if you're using a Raspberry Pi
>dependencies
what's wrong with them?
>bad defaults
that's why you install the minimal version first
>more bugs introduced than fixed
I've been using debian for quite some time and I haven't encountered a single bug, debian is "stable" for a reason. Therefore, not an argument.

shit bait but made me reply

>because... It's the latest?
How old are
>the kernel
>drivers for AMD / nvidia
>anything related to the GPU
There were a lot of improvements over the years, and even now AMD is contributing a lot to the kernel. Wine is having a lot of improvements, etc.
Do you have to actually manually install a piece of software when you need the latest ? Because that would be annoying.

>[Citation needed]
I personally run into a few problems with apt. Nothing that couldn't be solved tho, but I still had a few ones.

Ubuntu LTS on servers
Ubuntu current release with GNOME on Desktop

Shit just werks. I have been using this install here since 2012

I think Stallman was the bull once, he said that one time if i remember correctly.

>I do, rather than ubuntu vs debian I propose Fedora or Slackware as alternatives, always up to date with no crashes or breaking hardware.
You clearly don't, otherwise you wouldn't propose Fedora as an alternative to Debian.
>9 month of support instead of 5 years
>software can break and/or include regressions in any update (which means, among other things, you would have to check and possibly adjust your scripts every time you update)
>daily updates instead of weekly
>an update may introduce a package conflict (Debian Stable never does that unless you mix Unstable with bakports and/or 3rd party repositories)
CentOS is the rpm equivalent to Debian, and it has even older, patched, packages because GNU is a clusterfuck of dependencies.

Slackware, on the other hand, is harder to maintain and doesn't have the huge amount of developers/maintainers Debian does.

If your computer is already working and doing whatever you need it to do, you don't need to update packages, except for security updates. That's the point.

Take a look at GNOME 3 or Inkscape. The first one releases a new version every Six months or so and it breaks addons and GTK themes because the developers don't give a flying fuck about backwards compatibility; the second one released a version that couldn't open files made with an older version of Inkscape.

You don't want to deal with that shit in a work environment. Even if the fix takes only 5 minutes, it's not worth it.

Debian is trusted by companies and people all over the world, despite being made by the community, because it's way of releasing software works.

Until developers start supporting Snaps, there's no way to have a stable system with upstream packages.

then use stretch or sid you fuckin moron
holy shit this board is filled with idiots who know absolutely nothing about the things they complain about

sage

>If your computer is already working and doing whatever you need it to do, you don't need to update packages, except for security updates. That's the point
You're implying that performances doesn't matter.

>packages are compiled by each developer, no way to know exactly how a package was built, what was added or changed
are you retarded?

Debian is p much the only distro I've seen that "werkz erry time" and it will have my near-eternal respect for that.

Ty for new wallpaper

Stability and reliability is more important than the 2 % performance increase you'll get from AMD CPUs and GPUs.

Even then, you can get newer versions of the kernel using the official backports repository. Fun fact, my WiFi card works flawlessly under the 3.x kernel. When the first version of the 4 kernel was released, my WiFi card stopped working altogether.

It's already fixed, but bear in mind that such regressions are unacceptable in a server or workstation.