Will there ever be a better keyboard than the IBM Model M?

Will there ever be a better keyboard than the IBM Model M?

Other urls found in this thread:

dsi-keyboards.com/shop/brands/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new/
seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1397000.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a Model F, newfag nigger.

How about a North American IBM Model M..?

I miss that keyboard. Used to take it apart and wash it in the bathtub to clean it. Only went away when the world went USB. I adapted the 5pin DIN to PS/2 but was as far as I could go.
Lack of a Windows key too.

They made them in PS/2 as well.

Or just buy a new one from Unicomp. Not as schwag as the old black label models, but it's still buckling spring and USB with a Windows key.

I own one. Might buy another. I can beat a person to death with it and I love how goddamned loud it is. Feels good to type on.

OOOOOooooooooooo sweat sweat

I've had saw mechanical keyboards like this.

I inherited two model f's and a Dolch network sniffer keyboard. At/t plug. Haven't attempted to do anything with them. Too springy to be inspiring. Typing this on the Dolch keyboard with cherry browns and it's good.

I have a few that I got from the salvage area at work (I work at IBM) but I dont really like them. So ive been handing them out to my friends. They dont really like them either. Whats all the hype about? They are decent, but to me the keys dont feel like they go down smooth, and its really loud

There already was, it's called the model F

Do they have dusty basement rooms filled with old tech that no one has entered in decades?

No

if they make a Model M with the Meta key that would make it better. I use the Meta key for a lot of my WM keybinds

There are much rarer models like the Model F which are better. The Model M became famous because it used to be very easy to find in the US. It's not worth the hundred dollars it currently sells for.

There is a meta key, commonly labelled Alt.
You mean super.

They do make that.

Are the unicomp ones really as good? I heard their a step down from the IBM ones

There is a broad quality range for the IBM models.
Generally speaking, the Unicomps are arguably better than the late Model Ms, but not as good as the early ones from the mid-late 80s.

An ANSI keyboard with Model F switches and Model M 101-key layout would be the perfect board.

unfortunately nobody has ever made this. That one guy who crowdfunded new Model F switches hates non-authentic layouts and refuses to countenance a 101-key version.

Are there any satisfied Unicomp owners here?

I bought two M's on fleabay and got screwed both times. One has dead switches, the other was a bolt mod but the guy cracked the barrel plate on both ends. Damn it. there went 200 neetbux.

People enjoy the heavy tactile feedback and loud typing sounds made from the buckling springs.

It also has historical importance being associated with the original IBM PC's.

The chassis build quality and paint isn't as good, but the switches themselves haven't changed much.

i still don't get how right handed people can enjoy using full sized keyboards. i hate having my arm stretched all the way to the right to reach my mouse and bumping into the right side of the keyboard all the time.

it's also uncomfortable to move the keyboard to the left to compensate (now when typing hands aren't centered).

wished someone would just make modified 96 key where the numpad stuff was on the left.

this design is from before mice were common or very useful. I especially hate laptops with the full keyboard and trackpad pushed off to the left.

Mid-80s~Early 90s Model M:
+ Heavy as fuck -> satisfying audible feedback
+ Boss IBM logo
+ Special detachable PS/2 cable

Modern Unicomp:
+ Doesn't ship from a hoarder house
+ All keys work
+ Has drainage channels for drink spills

do they make unicomps in other languages? spanish?

Overrated. The Northgate omnikeys where better.

I swear i saw ducky show of some prototype of it but i think it was just vaporware in the end. There is this stuff though.

dsi-keyboards.com/shop/brands/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new/

Not so fast!

People were literally tossing these keyboards in the late 90s because heavy, loud, and clunky, and swapping them for rubber domes. That's a big factor in why there's not that many left that are still in good shape, and why usually are so expensive to buy if the seller knows what he's got (there's even sellers offering late 90s rubber domes for crazy money, either believing that someone will think it's a mechanical, or just thinking that every 20 year old keyboard is a collector's item and is worth much).

Literally how does this even works

I have 6 model M and M-13's, several still in the box (pic related, they are mine). I use the Filco instead, because I find it to be a more practical keyboard. It is lighter, less annoying to people around me, and fairly pleasant to type on.

The IBM's are sturdier though, and then there is the nostalgia and scarcity factor.

What kind of switches are in the Filco keyboard?

How are you supposed to press 'N'?

>wife types ~85 WPM on her shitty MSI laptop keyboard
>I got her a Model M
>Modded a USB controller into it
>She types ~70 WPM on it, says that her pinky really struggles with it.
shit.

blue

I mean, I guess. I was bought it though, so what the fuck do I even have to feel unsatisfied about.

Why would you waste a genuine model M on a fucking vagina when you could've gotten a newly made unicomp

Logitech g15 ""gaymurr" keyboard is pretty fucking awesome

topre realforce

I wish mine was a blue IBM badge. I love it nonetheless.

Matter of taste. I'm not a huge fan of buckling springs.

And if you're gonna get into total bullshit like "build quality" as if keyboards are offroad vehicles, I'm sure there are plenty of other nerds willing to play along with this fantasy and pretend it matters.

The whole autistic focus on keyboards is a recent thing and unsurprisingly, it's mostly kids who are going insane. Model Ms have been there all along, but they're only really sought after now that nerds have deluded themselves into the mech keyboard fad.

I'm all for good peripherals, but I don't believe for a second it is a necessity for 20-something reddit and Sup Forums nerdlord morons as they claim they are. You have no objective standards and your priorities are skewed. The whole fad is just herd behavior.

What year is yours? Both of my blue badge are 90s Lexmarks.

>Blue badge
Might as well get a Unicomp since they have better build quality.

Their QA is terrible and they cost five time what I paid for this

IBM '92

I wasn't aware Blue badge was definitive mark of the Lexmark makes.

I just prefer the blue logo. An RGB thinkpad logo would be badass if it existed.

I ended up getting a K70 w/MX Brown and its pretty good but wish it had that same feel.

Not in US, unicomp shipping is ridiculous.

seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1397000.html

>not having the best and most modular IBM keyboard

Probably lift your left thumb into that lever above it.

Very happy with my Unicomp. It feels as solid as can be, but mind you I've never used an original Model M, so I can't comment on a direct comparison.

The model F is much much better, but all the ones with a more modern layout are expensive and require a $70 adapter.

im left handed with the mouse so the numberpad and arrow keys are perfect

Originally there was no nav cluster so the keys were closer to each other

The perfect keyboard doesn't exi...

Tfw sitting 4 bnib model m's. They're some of the last springy ones. 3 of them don't have the dark plastic at the led's so they look kinda wonky. Picked them up for $5 each a few years ago. Would have bought more but I couldn't carry any more. The seller had a ton of them.

I assume the value dropped after cherry mx keyboards became so common?

yes, the ibm keyboard with 24 F keys, frogott which moddel it is, my mum has one and its fck epic

xpfag tier

They're always around $70-100 now whenever I see them. If anything, they got more popular.

I see. Like I said they look pretty wonky. Nordick ISO layout so I'm not sure they would fetch the same here due to limited demand.

You can type faster on keys with shorter throws, but it fucks up the joints in your fingers if you do it 8 hours a day.

The point of any mechanical keyboard for data entry is that you avoid bottoming out on every key press.