youtube.com/watch?v=y138gA-EddM
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_85&product_id=297
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_85&product_id=300
retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=78
latticestore.com/products/tabid/417/categoryid/59/productid/43169/default.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>we will not have memeristor PLDs in our lifetime

Anyone know of a cheap PCIe FPGA board?

>Nintendo, having access to the exact design specifications of the NES, could have used an FPGA to make a perfect hardware simulation of it in the NES mini
>instead they just took some surplus last gen phone boards that probably cost them 10 bucks a dozen and loaded them with a run of the mill emulator
I'm still mad

Get back to Sup Forums, idiot.

Nice, I have the same one

>I'm going to pretend there isn't significant overlap in the interests of electronic games and electronics in general

Fuck off already.

>i'm going to pretend that FPGAs in consumer electronics is in any way relevant to discussing FPGAs for development and/or hobbyist purposes

Also there's a guy who's gotten pretty far with a SNES HDL project

youtube.com/watch?v=y138gA-EddM

I don't think he's released it yet

What's the appeal?

i want this too

>Nintendo, having access to the exact design specifications of the NES
i'm pretty sure by this point there isn't a single part of the NES that isn't publicly known
even the 10NES lockout has been reverse engineered, even though it isn't strictly necessary for emulation

i would imagine community docs on the NES would probably be more useful than whatever nintendo has kept around
most if not all of their docs will be only relevant for making the original NES hardware, and there possibly isn't even anyone there who worked on the NES who is still working there, so anyone working on a new NES would need to learn the NES themselves first anyway, community docs covering the ins and outs of the NES would probably be more useful, and there's probably a bunch of tricks and quirks the original doc writers weren't even aware of at the time

>probably a bunch of tricks and quirks the original doc writers weren't even aware of at the time
to explain why this is relevant
the original docs will cover what the NES /should/ be, but the real hardware might have a few unexpected and unnoticed quirks
and if later down the track, game developers found them and used them, now the original docs aren't enough, as they don't cover unexpected 'features'

I really want to work as a hardware engineer and work with FPGAs, graduating in december, but it's pretty niche and I've heard from people in the field it's not really a good field to get into and I should just do software engineering or something instead.
What do I do Sup Forums? Do any of you work with them for your job or just hobbyist stuff?
I have this qt btw

>Chip giant Intel has completed its $16.7 billion mega-deal to buy Altera...
>Microsoft Bets Its Future on a Reprogrammable Computer Chip (FPGA)

>not really a good field to get into
lol

I use these.
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_85&product_id=297

Sorry im a moron, here is the PCIe.

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_85&product_id=300

>and there possibly isn't even anyone there who worked on the NES who is still working there,
There probably is but they've most likely moved onto management by now

I'm no EE yet but i'm pretty sure that there a shit load of applications for fpgas.

I'm still far from learning how to use these things but it seems like useful knowledge to me.

How do I crack HDCP 2.2 with an FPGA?

Why not?

my undergrad classes taught on Xilinx ZedBoard
we did MATLAB Simulink and then synthesize the FPGA

real shit though should I use Octave?

which manufacturer fucks my freedoms the least?

Just stick to CS faggot.

Hardware Engineer here.

My career was focused on programming. I also studied a little bit of networks, data parallelism, digital electronics, etc.

When I met FPGA and VHDL I hated it. This year I'm making my degree project on a FPGA. I pretend to continue studying in the field of programmable hardware.

I think it is the future and I wanna make money.

Leaves room for FPGA programmers to milk money out of retro gamers with flashcarts HDMI mods and full system implementations.

All of them only have proprietary programming stacks. There are some dudes reverse engineering some Lattice fpgas and they have a fully open source chain for them, BUT the fpgas they are working with are tiny.

I really don't understand the problem people have with the closed tool-chains. Your HDL code is yours, and you can take it between designs and vendors. If the fpga vendor has free tools, I'll use them for a design, and buy their chips. But that chip itself is only relevant for a few years, then something bigger/faster/newer will be out, so I can't make myself care about the tools for it.

If Xilinx some day does not want to provide me with tools to work with their chips, I'll move somewhere else for new designs going forward. (not that I see that happening for this reason).

Already done
retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=78

MATLAB has 5000x times the developing power that Octave has. It's not because Octave is FOSS that it's better. I can't work without all the toolboxes MATLAB offers.

Not a Mathworks shill here, but it just Mathwerks.

I'm a CE/EE major though negro

octave is not a replacement for matlab by any means.
It makes it possible to run some scripts, but without the toolboxes, it is a waste of time.

If you want to program fpga's, just learn vhdl or verilog.
Neither languages are hard to learn, but you have to think about problems in another way.

If all you need from matlab is to convert your matlab code to hdl, then just learn the hdl language.
Most of it is boilerplate stuff, so make snippets in your editor.

CSfag with decent experience working with FPGAs here. What would it take to work at the likes of Inlel/AyyMD/Qualccomm?

What's a cheap board good for getting into FPGAs? I took a class where some Altera board was used but haven't done anything since.

>store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83_85&product_id=300
Thanks user.

You can get the Pynq for like 80 dollars as a student.

latticestore.com/products/tabid/417/categoryid/59/productid/43169/default.aspx

I am just going to pretend.

>I really want to work as a hardware engineer
Start making plans to move to Asia for work.

That's also what I've heard since they'll know more and do it for less, which is why I was considering the SE engineering route instead.

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't that just an ARM SoC?

Terasic sells some cheap altera boards, with student discount you can get the simpler ones for around 50-60 burgerbucks

Proper development stack when. The current situation is fucking sad.