/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

computerhope.com/beep.htm
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tm8bzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/JV7GYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/GRkWLD
corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15r
amazon.com/LG-34UM58-P-34-Class-UltraWide/dp/B01DLB9BRC
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZYqPd6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Old:

BE QUIET! BK008 Pure Rock Slim

Any used this CPU cooler before?, I hate the look of the Evo 212, so looking for an alternative at similar price.

Cryorig H7 is probably better. It's $4 more though.

I didn't realize ryzen cooling comes with already applied thermal paste and I lightly touched it with my finger. Is it still ok or did I fuck up and I got reapply it?

I haven't tried it, but the review make the be quiet to be a few degrees better, and much quieter. Don't trust people telling you to go for a 212EVO, it's a 8 years old cooler, better coolers at around the same price have been released during this time. The Be Quiet is among them.

It's ok, people do much worse with their thermal paste like spreading it themselves on the CPU (creating a fuckton of air bubbles in the process), yet it's fine;

Ok, thanks got a bit worried.

I tried to install windows on an SSD but I ran into an error (error 0x80070570)
so after trying a few more time I removed one of the two RAM stick but I still encountered the error
I finally swapped the RAM stick with the other one and the windows install just went fine.
Does that mean the other RAM stick is defective?

The S340 Elite which I ordered only has two fans. Should I get an additional fan for the front, maybe even two? Or is it enough to change the top fan to the front like I've seen in one video.

Z77 Extreme4
Intel Core i5-3470
8GB of some kind
970 GTX 4GB

Is there any real reason to upgrade my system? It seems to run most things at decent resolutions and frame rates. I was thinking of making it 16gb ram but someone said there's not point and I should move to Ryzen cpu+motherboard but that's a little too expensive for me at the moment.

(Also I've noticed my cpu temp is in the range of 70-85 degrees celsius with the stock fan. Do I need to replace with an aftermarket fan?)

possibly yes, try blowing on it and cleaning it with a tissue or something (lol)
or try another slot, maybe it's a defective slot

if it doesn't have any fan at the front, it means it will suck air from any hole available which means lots of dust will get in from non-dust-filtered holes.
either buy one fan at the front & move one of the already existing ones in there too, or buy two front fans.

Are those high temperatures new?
If so buy some thermal paste;
If you don't feel the need to upgrade, do not do it. Better hardware is always on the horizon (Cannonlake, Zen+) and the more you wait, the more you get.

Thanks. Would suck if more dust got in there because the fans are missing. I think I will buy two for the front then. I guess they just left them out there because of the people who put water coolers in their case.

I have this exact case it has a filter in the front and u can add 2 more fans the same same as the other 2.

>I've noticed my cpu temp is in the range of 70-85 degrees celsius
Clean your fan and reapply thermal paste. I've had i5 2400 go from ~85 on average during load to ~50 during load.

Ok, I will do that. A little bit confusing for people who are new to pc building. I first thought that was standard maybe and only got some doubts after watching some pc building videos.

>Are those high temperatures new?

Not sure, only checked the temp recently, (after I've added a hot swap bay a week ago and the 970 a year ago.)

>If you don't feel the need to upgrade, do not do it.
I've been checking recommended requirements and my RAM seems to be on the low side.

until you actually notice slowdowns because of lack of RAM, don't make any decision

how do you know when to buy a new hard drive? just got an ssd and am gonna use my 6 year old hard drive as storage. how expensive are they now these days anyways?

So Sup Forums I followed these threads and I really don't know that much about video cards but I got a 1050ti for my PC and got this.
There appears to be some sort of tape over the bolt in the board of pic.related?

I really need to know what it is and if I can take it off.
(10 eons in Microsoft Paint by the way).
-t.21 Sup Forums visitor

Then I won't, should I buy more fans then? I just have one at the back that becomes relatively loud when playing games.

$50 for 1TB, $75 for 2TB, sometimes can find pretty good 3TB discounts at around $80

>how do you know when to buy a new hard drive?
when you're lacking space or when your games load slowly. Your 6 years old hard drive is very likely to be noticeably slower than today hard drives.

Yes, you can remove it. Dont not use a knife or any metallic object to do so, you'd risk damaging your card with scratches.

It's becoming relatively loud because it's speed increases the higher the CPU temperature is. Once you change the thermal paste and clean the cooler, it will not be nearly as loud.
You can always set a custom fan curve in the bios.

What could 2 short beeps followed by another beep about 2 seconds later mean?
I had an issue with my pc where it started giving no display after having issues with bsod, windows in general and then not being able to boot at all, assumed it was mobo after literally troubleshooting everything except cpu.
Now that I have a new one I got another issue, it doesn't even starts, cpu fans start for some seconds, 2 beeps come from the mobo speaker, then powers down and I get another beep before it goes into the same loop.
First mobo just gives me no display but everything runs, all fans and lights.

I'm testing this on a anti static bag over the mobo cardboard box

I'm fucking stumped here, this happens even if I disconnect the cpu fan and the cpu has absolutely no marks of anything bad, it was also never overclocked and had temps of about 60 tops with the heatsink.

computerhope.com/beep.htm

thoughts?

>5400rpm when 7200rpm exists
>850w when your build doesn't use nearly that much
>120mm fans when 140mm exists
Otherwise looks good

I wasn't aware that that getting win 7 running with an amd cpu would be an issue. Are there any good guides for that?

not concerned with 7200rpm just want more storage, and i you always want to be over rather then under when it comes PSU

It's not AMD specific, it's Kaby Lake (ix 7xxx, e.g. i7 7700k) or anything Ryzen. And technically there's no problem with it, except from poor M.2 support and microsoft blocking updates to force you into W7

Here you can find a script that will remove the "blocking update" update:
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19

As for mouse & kb drivers in the windows installer, you'll need
1. a W7 iso (nope, can't do it on an already existing bootable key, need to re-do the process)
2. a specific software for this, i think Asus has one

>you always want to be over rather then under when it comes PSU
That's true, but at worst that thing is gonna use 370w. With spikes at maybe 450w, and that's the worst case scenario.

At least drop that down to 650 - 700w or something

i should also note im going to put in my current 1080 into the build for SLI. So 850w is just right

Oh, it's all fine then

As you've already been told. Move the back fan to the front, so you have 2 intake fans, and 0 exhaust fans.
The air will find it's way out, the case is large enough that it really won't be suffering much from too much positive pressure. The CPU cooler will also give the air an additional push into the right direction.

Place them high enough that one fan blows towards your GPU, and one at your CPU.

That's the issue user, none of the beep codes I've seen match the one I'm getting, two short quick beeps and then another one after a delay right before it enters the loop.
Then there's the other motherboard having a completely fucking different issue, I have no idea what's going on.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tm8bzM

[1/2]

Friend at work was asking me advice about putting together an editing machine for stuff like pictures, graphic novels, videos, movies, etc, as well as a work station for other things.

Budget: $2000
Pic shown, my first ideas.

Forgot pic.

It may just be the 2 beep signal, and maybe the 1 too, I dunno.

What motherboard is it? It should say in the manual what it means.

What she suggested after seeing my list. Managed to blow her $2000 budget.

Alright cool. That's not anything as hacky as I almost expected. I'll just google some guides or something then.

You are definitely getting better performance for same price with Ryzen unless prices are fucked up where you live.

thats a lot of editing of different formats. is he really going to be doing all of them or is just like those plebs thats say "gaming editing coding toasting".

coolers wasted on a non k, get a ti for the extra 1gb if he is editing. get faster memory without gimmicks, seagate barracuda drives are better and usually cheaper. probs get a cd reader and card reader cause mm and editing

For an editing machine & workstation machine, an R7 1700/1700x/1800x makes much more sense than a 7700k.
And you don't want a liquid cooler in there because of the risk of leakage, not to say it doesn't cool much better than high end $80 air coolers (2 - 3°C at best)

You might wanna get him two sticks of 16GB for upgradeability.

Remove all these fans, unless she likes noise or something. The fan in there are good enough and so is the CPU & GPU cooler.
Why that audio card? Is she doing any work that benefits from such a highly priced one?

Ryzen here is priced about the same as anywhere else in the US. It's something I've been considering and trying to get her to think about.

tell her to kill herself because that builds abysmal. why would you get a sound card past 2007 is a shocker. im semi sure this builds a troll.

Audio card because she wants to do some sound work too, recording and editing that as well. I felt she'd be fine with on board audio but hell knows if she's grabbing equipment that'll need a card.

those audio cards are a joke anyway, utter placebo in the modern world

>equipment that will need a card
what? you want a dac in that case

Here.
pcpartpicker.com/list/JV7GYr

Case: NZXR S340 Optionally buy a couple of NZXT fans to match it with, otherwise just put both at the front as intake.

Don't get those cheapass deepcool fans, get proper ones, S340 comes with 2.

Sound card is really necessary? Especially for that much?

That toshiba is probably server/enterprise, so it's gonna be extremely loud. Make sure you get dekstop HDDs. Possibly buying more of them, if she's serious about video editing, and put them in a raid.

Obviously, don't get 7700k, get R7 1800x, or R7 1700 if she can overclock it.

Also a normal air CPU cooler is much better, even get something fairly beefy. At the same cost, you'll get much better cooling, and much quiter as well.

Most 2 beep signals show a RAM issue, and I've tried several sticks on different configurations already.

Old mobo was an asrock h97, new one is a Gigabyte b85m ds3H since it's hard to find older1150 sockets around so this is the best I could get, after double checking the manual again I couldn't find anything related to beep codes.

and here. Added a sound card.
pcpartpicker.com/list/GRkWLD

>but hell knows if she's grabbing equipment that'll need a card.
If she needs a card, she can just buy it later...

If it's because you'll build it for her... Show her how it's built. Then show her how she would install the card, make sure you also tell her that she needs to clear the capacitors by plugging out the PSU from the wall, while still keeping it on. To then press the power button a couple of times.

Good? I currently already have a 1700X and Asus ROG X370 board with 32GB ddr4-2400mhz. Looking to put that 1600X in my existing Asus board, the 1700X into the taichi board (because 10 SATA ports vs 8). The 32GB kit, taichi and 1700X will be used for my server.

You want ECC for servers though.

What is the Sup Forums approved B350 board?
- ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
- MSI B350 Tomahawk
- Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
- ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
Which one works best when OCing?
Do we wait for the agesa 1006 to be able to tell definitely?

It's really a toss up between the MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS boards

Not for home servers. I'm simply sharing files over the network and hosting a printer. ECC is really only for high priority servers.

does that mean the asrcok is shite?

MSI B350 Gaming Carbon / Gaming Krait
ASRock B350 pro4, and B350M pro4
ASUS Prime something, the one with a heatsink.

Gigabyte doesn't have any good B350 mobos, and ASUS is probably a little worse than ASRock.

If heroes of the storm drops down to 0.5 fps. Is it the fault of my pc or is it because the connection is bad? Idk what makes this happen. I think it might be my pc tho since it's already 7 years old and a dual core i3 isn't that good anymore.

how do you tell if this ram is single rank or dual rank?
corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15r

>(2 x 8GB)
it's dual

Is this a good monitor if I get it at 230?
amazon.com/LG-34UM58-P-34-Class-UltraWide/dp/B01DLB9BRC

>0.5 fps
Is this even possible?

one frame ever 2 seconds

Gaymen PC BUIDLING CHALLENGE

Budget: 800 euros
Already owning: - capable 600 W PSU
- 750 Ti (planning on upgrading in the future ofc)
- Already have a SSD and a HDD

What is the best for gaming?
Should I go for a Ryzen future proof system or for a good single core performance intel based system?

First time builder here, please give me some advice/options

That's saying it's in a kit, it can still be single rank, and I believe those actually are single rank.

Go to mobo RAM support lists and find the RAMs serial number in there. It'll tell you if it's DS/SS, or 2r/1r.

2666 is best non-oc ram for ryzen?

I can't decide between i7 7700 or i5 6500. I mostly use my pc for gaming and video/image editing.

Also, my 500w Corsair (CX500) power supply will be enough for those processors? (I have a RX 470 atm)

i5 7400* not 6500

They are pretty much the same, 6500 has 100 MHz faster boost clock but 7400 supports 2400 MHz RAM

but is there an actual difference between i7 7700 and i5 7400?

there's a reason it's nicknamed Assrock.
Still nowhere near as bad as Biostar though.

Yes, get 7700 if you can

ASRock are one of the best board manufactures though.
Some years ago, when they were owned by ASUS, they were shit. Now when they're their own thing, they're actually good, one of the best.

Gigabyte is the trash, both GPUs and mobos.

It will be enough a 500w 80+ power supply?

More than enough

>R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
Hahahahaha.

>i have no idea what I'm talking about because I'm a brand-whore: The post
I bet you drive a BMW just to say you drive a BMW.

It is though.

>Says the intel fag

>implying
Gimmie Ryzen.

Would you rather go for a gtx 1050ti or a rx 560? Regular blizzard games or civ 5.

560 though that's my opinion.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZYqPd6

Suggestions on unpurchased parts welcome.

HDD: needs to be 8TB
PSU: needs to be fully modular and have flat cables and needs to be NOT semi-passive
GPU: only need 2560x1080@60Hz

Cooling:
The CPU cooler will be a Cryorig H7 QUAD Lumi heatsink as soon as it gets released, the GPU will have an NZXT Kraken 42 with a G12 gpu bracket solely for eyecandy, because I'm an RGB whore.

1050 ti is objectively better. It really just depends on price difference.

Looking at benchmarks I can see that the 1050 ti is slightly ahead but it's slightly more expensive here in europe. (around 120 euros for the rx560 while the 1050ti averages 135 euros).

What are good brands for nvidia cards? If I get the rx 560 I'll probably get a sapphire card.

>What are good brands for nvidia cards?
They're all pretty much the same so just pick whichever one is on sale.

I'll keep an eye out for the cheapest one with zero fan modus (gigabyte model) for 137 euros currently.

Regardless of the first statement, the "no i5" part is damn hilarious, but you know what I won't bother trying to argue with you AMD shills, if someone is dumb enough to buy a 1500x over an i5 it's their problem.

There is literally nothing to argue.
There are games that the 1600X gets 50% higher average and minimum FPS in when not GPU bottlenecked.
While in games where the 7600k wins, it's never by more than single digit % minimums

I wasn't talking about the 1600(X), those two are great CPUs.

What would one stand to benefit from a pair of 1TB M.2 drives in RAID 1 or RAID 0, along with a slew of HDDs in RAID 10 or RAID 1? Is it worth it?

The 1500X is obviously compared more to the i5-7400 or i5-7500 which no one should consider getting either when the 1500X has the same or better single threaded performance AND double the threads.
If you're saying something else, I just don't follow, sorry.

why does M.2 or not matter?
But no, it's not worth it. You won't load your gaymes faster

>What would one stand to benefit from a pair of 1TB M.2 drives in RAID 1 or RAID 0
Primary recording drive for 2160p or larger lossless or raw format videos, and even then you'd need striped or JBOD arrays to make a decent length video fit.
Or use them as .vdi storage for running a dozen VMs at once.
Or use them as a primary or tiered cache for a HDD/SATA SSD RAID array.