Best server OS?

Best server OS?
What's your pick Sup Forums?

Pic unrelated

Windows Server with subsystem Linux

>Windows Server with subsystem Linux
Why.

The only think that windows server is good for is acting as a domain controller.
All your other services should be hosted on a stable Linux (i.e. Debian/RHEL) if you at all care about uptime and stability.

You're joking right?

No, fuck off im not going to use linux shit
no????

Gentoo

>emoji fag
You have to go back Mark.

FreeBSD

>im not going to use linux shit
Explain yourself.

Well have fun wasting all your resources with useless overhead and (((GUI interfaces)))

CentOS

I use Debian, but the answer is objectively CentOS.

Compiling software seems like waste of time. Prefer apt over emerge anyday. Even pacman or yum.

Linux for most types of servers. Its abundantly clear that that is what works anyhow.

>that pic
what the fuck lmao

I've tried CentOS for a good 2 solid months and i have to say it's a decent well designed server OS. I hosted so many services on it.

For many it is, but its largely a bunch of (cheap) CPU / storage IO time that you "sacrifice". Not really worth lamenting if you have a problem that requires you to manage some software at sauce level

>pic
> .gif

CentOS or Ubuntu LTS
SELinux or AppArmor

Wouldn't OpenBSD be a better choice mainly for security?

Yes it would

CentOS is THE way to go, using anything else is retarded at best

Debian

systemd

For production or services that are accessible from outside your network, probably CentOS.

For fucking around on your LAN Ubuntu or Debian

what would be ideal for 1080p movie and flac steaming? also what kind of cpu, how much ram would i need for that? im thinking of building a media home server but only if it would be cheaper than the cheapest 4-bay Synology NAS. Anything constructive would be highly appreciated

Literally any desktop x64 processor developed in the last 5 years

8gb RAM

CentOS is probably the best in most cases but RH can also be decent for server/compute systems.

so some cheap core2duo packed with 8 niggabyte of ECC ram would handle the duty right? and what operating system would be good? i've read about FreeNAS but that shit needs insane amount of resources according to the minimum system requirements on their website

You don't need ECC RAM, lol. That would be a massive waste.

I'd just use Debian if I were you. Proxmox virtualize it, that way you can run more services securely in containers and have the hypervisor handle RAM.

I've got an i3-4130, 8GB RAM, and I run a container doing exactly what you're doing while also having containers running a couple nginx web servers, an OpenVPN inbound daemon, a game server, a music server, and a few other containers with assorted services.

All of those containers are Debian containers. I peak around 5GB RAM usage, normally sit around 2-3GB. Processor usage peaks around 25%, normally sits below 4% usage.

FreeNAS wants lots of ram because ZFS (it's file system) uses it for caching type purposes. It's built from the ground up to be a file server, so all your resources are going to be dedicate to service files as fast as possible.

OS/2

Server 2012 R2 or CentOS
RHEL if you want support
Anything else outside of specific applications is retarded.

Oracle Linux
Has the QA of RedHat but you can get it for free

Alpine Linux or OpenBSD.

Amazon Linux :-D

Ubuntu Server 16.04

Tried Debian, no sudo preinstalled, wtf?
Tried CentOS, too easy to break + fucking retarded partitioner

Opensuse

Like redhat/centos only not shit.

>CentOS or Oracle

Why not 2016?

I've only used 2016 on one machine and I have experienced a few minor issues, mostly with RDP and LogMeIn and that kind of thing. I'm not one for early adoption so R2 is fine. A year or two from now I'll change my recommendation to 2016 as long as it's stable and the issues I had are fixed.

FreeBSD.

>Consistent licensing that lets you use it for any purpose
>Every feature you could want from GNU/Linux, plus more
>Adherence to UNIX philosophy without systemd working its way into everything

i never installed linux-based os, and i dont know what a container is, but im gonna look into it, thanks. when it comes to ram speed, does it matter of buy the cheapest 8 gig? also dual channel or single channel?

If you're going to be doing this for a home server, just get 1x8GB so you have as much room as possible to upgrade when you inevitably want to.

Since you have no Linux experience, ignore the containers and proxmox thing. Just get Ubuntu LTS or Debian.

im gonna go with Debian. Im not afraid to learn new things, thats the way of life anyway, but first i just want to make a stable, compact, cheap home media server for my devices for as cheap as possible since most of the money is needed for the WD REDs. thanks for your help

>oracle
There is only one option and that is centos.

Debian stable, or CentOS

Debian testing.

Debian. Thread.

Windows Home Server 2011. (Based on 2008R2)
1. Simple automated backup of all Client computers. Wakes up clients in sleep mode to do backup then once done tells the client to go back to sleep. Can restore/browse files of any client from any other client pc if one crashes. While doing a server data backup you can also "backup" the client backup folder/database for extra insurance.
2. Allows Remote Web access to server data from anywhere in the world via webpage. also allows streaming media over internet from same webpage.
3. Supports DNLA media streaming out of the box for most common file/media types. Can install 3rd party (Serviio) server for any exotic file types.
4. Supports RAID 1/5/0 and GPT so no hardware raid controller required. Thanks to GPT you could cram 4 Ten TB drives inside and windows would work no questions asked.
5. Macrium Reflect makes for a damn good server data backup application. It supports raid/dynamic/gpt volumes so you could backup a 8TB raid 5 array without fail. or restore your server os if the system drive failed.
6. Supports DHCP/DNS/WSUS/FTP/VPN/ and other server 2008r2 features. Really only thing lacking is ability to function as a domain controller.
7. Supports 8 core cpu with max of 8GB ram.
8. Supports Mac OS/Windows XP sp3/Vista/7/8/8.1/ and 10.