Does your second language feel... emotionless to you?

Does your second language feel... emotionless to you?

Frankly, whenever I see, read, or hear German (the language I'm studying atm), I just don't feel anything like I would when I'm using English.

For example, if someone said "das ist mir Scheiß egal!" in German, I'd put on a look of surprise since it's supposed to mean "I don't give a crap" in English. Yet I wouldn't feel the power of it, and wouldn't be genuinely surprised. Or if somebody said "Möchtest du einkaufen gehen?", I wouldn't feel the same emotion as "Do you want to go shopping?" Just feels... robotic. Like my brain has to analyze everything that's said in a foreign language in such detail. Maybe that affects the emotion?

Anyone else feel like this? Such as with English, if that's your second language?

>Frankly

Fuck off, thieves

to be frank we didn't steal anything

STOP I SAID

Good thread.

To answer your question, no, I don't experience this, but I am not too deep in the language I am studying, yet. However I do think I feel the seeds of what you're experiencing; once I stay in the country of the language I'm learning, I won't be surprised if I feel less emotion from the language myself as well.

However, I have a hunch that this phenomena will disappear when you either A) Make a strong emotional connection with someone (good friends or gf) or B) become fully fluent in the language.

No, it's because you're still learning it. I felt a bit like you when I was learning English, but after a while (and while = years), you start to get "comfy" with the language and it'll come naturally and not as another way to say something.

I have the opposite feeling

When I hear lyrics from english songs, I get instantly moved and the French version is really meh

"She looks as if she's blowing a kiss at me, and suddenly the sky is a scissor"

I feel the exact opposite desu, especially when reading books.

English is my second language and most people don't believe me but I think and dream in English now
it feels like Arabic to me like a language that is part of me

Thanks. You're right that it this could disappear, as in starting to get that missing emotional connection in the language. I've been studying German for about 4 years, but I haven't really interacted with people on a personal level, or maybe put in the effort I should've. I've mostly listened to teachers speak in classrooms or watched TV shows. This is my first time going to Germany. Personally, I feel like my brain is more focused on making sure what I'm saying/hearing is correct, rather than making emotional connections. Which is what could be referring to: still learning the language

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's felt somewhat like this, and yeah, it does feel like "just another way of saying something." Probably with more interaction, education, and experience, I'll feel more "comfy" with German.

That's definitely possible depending on what it is. Songs can be like that, yeah. Haven't really thought about that!

When I'm reading books or text in German, I just don't feel that emotional connection. What's your secret?

That's pretty neat! How long have you been studying English, how often do you use it?

For me its more specific words and phrases have more meaning in different languages.

I never studied it and 2bh im not sure how i learned it
my family say i took interest in it at 3rd grade and started watching english movies and playing too many video games

as far as i remember the earlier i spoke understandable english was 6th grade
>how often do you use it?
on a daily basis with online friend and even my irl best friend speaks english with me
i'd say 30% of the time and 70% of the time i speak arabic
English helps me deal with foreigners here and its awesome cuz i love foreigners

>never studied it
I meant like serious study, we took english starting in 3rd grade until last year in highschool and all the time I was better than my teacher at english except at 7th grade where my teacher was a british dude living in libya

Hello, proxy.

yeah
i sorta feign a middle finger when i hear "manges mon cul"

I imagine hearing '' I love You'' in my language would be way more powerful than in English, cant say from experience tho, i definitely see English as formal language for me and with less emotions overall

yeah, Spanish feels unemotional, the natives speak it rapidly like a machine gun but whatevers 2bh

hello, reddit.

English is quite emotionless, yes.

Yes,both with english as second language and with german as third one.
And most likely with every other language i could learn.It is normal.It is not the native language.

But i believe if you stay in that respective country,be it uk or germany,and interact with people and become really fluent,possibly you are to feel insulted in a case of fick dich hurensohn.

frantic swearing coming from France