/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you don't want to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good; may have heat issues even at stock clocks
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for LoL, dota2, rocket league, etc
>1050Ti at ~$105. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Old:

Other urls found in this thread:

mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/fc13112217c495f54196584f80ec399df44e05e42c9196c9ec8
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-Radeon-RX-580-Armor-8G-OC-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167761.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/J6bk3F
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD68-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zCwDVY
pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg
pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rYRnhq
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC#Building_your_PC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

R8

Cheating, huh? The old thread hasn't even hit it's bump limit.

Check post times.

You sure are scared, aren't you?

Did you break it or is shit for vibration or something?
you need to cable manage your room my friend

My case was too small for a good air cooler so I figured I had to use a meme water cooler.
Turns out that was also a bit too thick.
So now panel is duct taped on.
Also after I taped it up a wire got in a fan so I had to redo...

oh lord
should've bought a new case

on the plus side, taping the seams like that will help with dust management.

do we have any leaked r3 benchmarks yet?

no, but that could easily be done by disabling SMT on an R5 1400

CPU + Cooler + Delid kit cause I'm a bitch already so expensive.
Plus this way I don't have to worry about people stealing my PC, everybody thinks it is shit.
Got to grab some Pentium inside stickers.

Don't have to worry about dusting if I can't access the inside.

>i7-7700k may have heat issues even at stock clocks
Incorrect. This is just muh housefire memes that retards included in the OP.

>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz
You can't claim that a 15% more powerful card can run 1440p as good as a 15% less powerful card runs 1080p, retard. Extra VRAM doesn't magically make it 1440p approved.

There are [(1440 x 2560) - (1080 x 1920)] / (1080 x 1920) = 77% more pixels in 1440p

1440p starts with the GTX1070. Get over it, fanboy. When Vega drops the situation might change, but not until then.

>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580
Incorrect. They are average out fairly equally. Hardware Unboxed shows a 2% difference. Fuck off, fanboy.

Also there's no mention of the GTX 1050 in the OP, which a great price/perf budget 1080p gfx card.

>Incorrect. This is just muh housefire memes that retards included in the OP.
I hope you are right. I delidded because of those memes. Still doesn't change the fact that the TIM they include is garbage though.

>Incorrect. This is just muh housefire memes that retards included in the OP.
The 7700k heats issue is a meme? Do you think you can just push clocks of a CPU enormously high, call it stock clock and it'll be good to go?
The 7700k has heats issue, even intel acknowledges it. If you don't delid, even a good cooler won't cool it that efficiently.

>You can't claim that a 15% more powerful card can run 1440p as good as a 15% less powerful card runs >1080p, retard. Extra VRAM doesn't magically make it 1440p approved.
>There are [(1440 x 2560) - (1080 x 1920)] / (1080 x 1920) = 77% more pixels in 1440p
Why the fuck are you being autistic with numbers?
I could do the same with any claim of the OP because there's always some games that will shit the bed at 1080p even on a fucking RX 470 or even RX 480
People have been doing 1440p fine since the rx 390 & gtx 970 days. The RX 480 is good at it, as long as you drop the retarded settings.

>Incorrect. They are average out fairly equally. Hardware Unboxed shows a 2% difference. Fuck off, fanboy.
There's more to performance than average.

What are the best value cheap case fans? I'd prefer something with ball bearings instead of a bushing as I want them to last for a long time.

>good cooler

that's why you get an awesome cooler

>Why the fuck are you being autistic with numbers?
Let me guess, you failed second grade math.

>People have been doing 1440p fine since the rx 390 & gtx 970 days.
That was a long time ago. In terms of graphics card series, the 970 is equivalent to the 1070. They fill the same role in the lineup. No one would suggest a (3.5) 970 for 1440p at this point, and no one should be suggesting a 480, which is only approximately as powerful as the TWO AND A HALF YEAR OLD GTX970.

Yeah, it was a 1440p card then. It isn't now.

>new to PC building
>doing tons of research to build my first gaymer PC
>all my research leads me to Ryzen
I am now an AMD fanboy.

mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/fc13112217c495f54196584f80ec399df44e05e42c9196c9ec8

rate my build, budget was 890€ so forget the case :p

>Literally deliding
AHAHAHHAHA

>In terms of graphics card series, the 970 is equivalent to the 1070. They fill the same role in the lineup.
Are you suggesting that the GTX 970 did well at 1440p maxed on the game of it's time and that he GTX 960 was the 1080p card or some other dumb shit?
No, the GTX 970 didn't do 1440p well when maxed, pic related. Wasn't even close.
But if you dropped the retarded settings, then yeah you could easily get a stable 60fps, while still getting an almost identical graphical quality.

>no one should be suggesting a 480, which is only approximately as powerful as the TWO AND A HALF YEAR OLD GTX970.
By that logic, no one should be suggesting the RX 580, because it's literally the same as an RX 480 but with slightly higher clocks. And yet, it outperforms the GTX 1060 in newer games, as seen in here

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>WD black
It's not for you, get a WD Caviar Blue. Much less expensive.
>400w PSU
That's not enough. Get a 500w, that will leave enough room for OC & power spikes.

>153€ case
Why?

>GTX 1060 KFA2
I'd suggest you get an MSI RX 580 instead, which is about 9€ cheaper, comes with more RAM, and outperforms the GTX 1060 in newer games as seen in mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-Radeon-RX-580-Armor-8G-OC-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167761.html
But GTX 1060 is still fine.

thanks actually I built this pc for a friend and he wanted that housing so much

Why? There are plenty of cases that are good looking at $100 and under, you don't need a $150 case for that
With the money saved you could up the CPU to an R5 1600 which will last longer than the 1500x because of the 6 cores

RAM is a little slow and might not work well with the mobo.

PSU is weak. You've really limited your upgrade options to save a few euros.

>By that logic herp derp
You lack logic, but have exceeding stupidity.

No one who spends $250 - $600 on a 1440p monitor is going to buy a $200 gfx card to drop settings and barely get by.

The only reason to recommend a 580 is that it is an AMD card, and the OP is obsessed with Team Red.

Regarding Crysis3: First, it was one of the most graphically demanding games of its time, if not the most. So you've cherrypicked an outlier to try to say that the 970 was weak at 1440p. (And by the way, if the 970 was weak way back then, why the hell would I want to buy a similarly powered card NOW for 1440p? Again, you're a fucking moron.)

Secondly, notice that the 980Ti (the TOP consumer card) would have been the only card to get that sixty FPS. 1440p was an enthusiast resolution, much like 4K today.

Stop recommending the 580 just because Team Red lacks a real 1440p card.

>$250 - $600 on a 1440p monitor is going to buy a $200 gfx card to drop settings and barely get by.
$200 is an RX 470, you autist.

>The only reason to recommend a 580 is that it is an AMD card, and the OP is obsessed with Team Red.
Sure thing buddy, one of the best argument i've ever heard. I bothered to give arguments about my opinion throughout the thread, if you can't be bothered to do the same i'm not gonna bother answering not reading the rest of your message. Probably consists of namecalling again and some other dumb shit.

My bad nigger, I rounded to the nearest hundred.

>I bothered to give arguments about my opinion throughout the thread
Your argument is that, because a 580 would have been decent for 1440p two or three years ago, before new generation of consoles, before the PS4 Pro, before the 14nm die shrink, before 1440p became more mainstream, I should buy a 580 NOW for 1440p.

You. have. no. argument.

I really wish shitposters would stop coming to these threads. The whole purpose is to help people build their pc and give them informations they do not possess, yet people come in here and do their best to shitpost and start drama.

falcon seems to have a lot of free time lately

The shitposts are 60495822, 60495621, 60495934, 60495612, 60495310. It's unfortunate, but Sup Forums is the new Sup Forums.

The drama is just Sup Forumsirgins getting their panties in a knot when Sup Forumsentoomen show up

I fail to see how recommending a new case instead of sticking to one where the cooler doesn't fit is a shitpost.

I'm pretty sure it's just some other fag trying to destroy his reputation.

Falcon used to be nice, even if he was a shill.
This other guy is completely intolerable.

>This other guy is completely intolerable.
Oh sorry, did I bite off your head and shit down your throat earlier? Try not being a fucking moron and you'll find me to be interesting, reasonable, and generally worthwhile to read.

It was of a conversational tone and of no substance/value. This isn't /soc/. Unfortunately this post falls in the same category

>pcpartpicker.com/list/J6bk3F
Thinking of building a desktop for friend. I have an old 760 I upgraded from and I'll be using that for the GPU since he doesn't game but does a lot of video and photo editing. Any problems with this?

>I'm pretty sure it's just some other fag trying to destroy his reputation.
for conspiracy theories

Which software will he be using?
Photoshop doesn't benefit much from more core although it does in some case

In any case, that AIO is quite overkill, as high end $80 air coolers perform just as good or very close.
The rest is pretty good.

Looks good. You might upgrade to an m.2 drive for simplicity and get a second HDD for redundancy if it's for work

Sony Vegas and Photoshop and whatever does rendering. Not too sure what he actually uses. And I figured I'd throw the AIO since it would fit in the front of the case nicely. Also I was thinking of overclocking it if neccessary, which is why I considererd the AIO.

Then yeah those two together will definitely benefit a lot from the extra cores
The AIO is just pretty expensive for what it offers but if you wanna get it it's fine still

The case comes with 2 fans so I thought the AIO would be nice since I can move the default front fan to the top for airflow. Is there a better fan to use that would fit the case?

Aside from size, what are the differences between mATX and ATX?
ITX has too much compromise for the small size to interest me.

> 760 I upgraded from and I'll be using that for the GPU since he doesn't game
Keep in mind that modern software such as Adobe shit can benefit from the GPU in certain workloads that utilize OpenCL or CUDA.

i wonder if anyone has bought an i3 7350k

I was wonderinig the same thing. It has no logical reason to exist.

Emulator build or other purpose that needs the strongest single core performance possible. Please fuck off back to whatever shithole you came from, redshill

At least 3 people have done it on pcpartpicker. Sad thing is it already out preforms the 8350 except in applications that can use 8 cores.

It's good for HTPC emulators and dwarf fortress.

Like if you just want to make a box in your living room that just runs emulators. It's the only one you can overclock the iGPU on. Though a lesser i3s or even a G4560 works perfectly fine for Dolphin and PCSX2. So idk.

It's very similar performance to the i5-2500k in gaming. But the i5-2500k isn't good enough anymore.

I got my build coming in the mail soon but I don't know how I'm going to transfer my music and images over. I'm using a laptop now, can I just stick my laptop HDD in the second HDD slot, then just drag the files I want onto the new HDD?

Yeah, but move the files to a non-My Documents type folder first. Sometimes Windows encrypts those folders depending on settings

Transfer over a network?
Just mark the whole drive as shareable.

Yes, you can plug a laptop hard drive into a desktop computer and copy the files from it into the main hard drive perfectly fine.

When i was poor, my computer used to have both a laptop hard drive an an xbox 360 hard drive.

If you have windows 10 disable fast boot first. If you don't then windows marks the drive as "in use" and other operating systems refuse to touch any of the files.

>webm
what kind of disgusting degenerated monster would do thing like this
i think someone is chopping onion..

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD68-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor is this monitor any good for 460 euroshekels? I have 1600x and rx 480, plan to get vega or 1080.

Calm down, it's just an old AM3 mobo, Let people have a little bit of fun before they recycle their old junk.

>lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD68-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor
>only 99% of sRGB
That's REALLY bad if you care about color quality.

So uh, why?
What's the reason for such different prices on near identical CPUs?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zCwDVY

Since Kaby was released I landed on this build.
Might not get a GPU at all as I mostly play 2d platformers. In which case would anyone recomend the G4600 for better iGPU?

There's a reason people on budgets are pointed to the G4560. The 7100 is only 10% better for twice the price.

Is getting a SSHD instead of a HDD worth it if i do a lot of work with photography and video RAW files? Backing up several gigs of files is slow as shit with my current 5400 RPM HDD.

Best 1440p IPS monitor for ~400€?

Probably that Nixeus one if it's the same price there.

Or MG279Q if you can find it on sale and from a retailer that takes no questions asked returns in case you get dead pixels.
Or do you mean just a 60hz one for color accuracy and light levels? Probably a Dell or HP.

pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg
or
pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

No. SSHD has very limited amount of fast storage and only places a handful of files in there. So if you're not frequently accessing the same files then it won't speed up anything. Get a job and trade your wagecoins in for a high capacity SSD.

Already have a 500GB SSD, I need mass storage too

/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

Go for a raid setup then. Buy a NAS box, throw 3-4 hard drives in them and watch as your files fly across over ethernet Some NAS devices allow you to have a seperate m.2 or mSATA drive as cache, you could even consider that if you have the dough for it. Won't speed up read times but it'll allow you to send files over without having to wait for them to get written.

>Sup Forums - Memes, consumer electronics and videogames

I do lots of gaymen, but I'm too poor for a 1440p at 144fps IPS monitor. I only have a GTX 1080 anyway. I think I'd rather have a higher resolution than a higher refresh rate since I prefer single player games.
Monitors are way more expensive in yurop too.
There's no way I can find a MG279Q for less than 500€.

If you are planning to use iGPU G4600 is worth the extra over G4560 since it has 2x execution units in the iGPU(Intel HD 610 vs HD 630). For builds with a dedicated graphics card the G4560 is optimal since the clockspeed difference between the two are negligible.

Hey guys, wanting to know any websites that'll teach me how to build a pc, completely new to the pc gaming scene, no experience whatsoever

Thank you, will likely go G4600 without GPU.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rYRnhq

There are plenty of tutorial videos in youtube or written tutorials in google, just search for them.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC#Building_your_PC

Alright. You should still try to get 2400mhz ram since faster memory speed helps iGPU performance and going from 2133 to 2400 should not be that much extra. Also remember to check the bios for iGPU performance settings since some boards have features that let the iGPU run faster.

What RAID level is the way to go then? Getting something like 5 or 6 500GB HDDs and using RAID 10?

I'd get a mobo with wifi. USB wifi sucks

>500GB HDDs
why not 1TB or 2TB drives?

I'm drumming up a build for a PC and realised I have no idea how to shop for a WNIC.

I'm a total dunderhead, can anyone give me some advice? Should I be plugging it into a usb port or a pci port?

>Your package was cleared after the scheduled transport departure. We will reschedule for the next available departure. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.

Figured 500GB would be cheaper but turns out 1TB drives are cheaper than 500GB now

USB is better because you can use a cable to position your dongle for best connection.

Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives are like $69, while WD Caviar Blue 1TB's are $48.
For the money, the 2TB is better

So let's say I wanted to stick some WD Reds in my PC without a NAS Box for mass storage, would it be worth putting at least 4 of them for RAID 10 then? Not that user by the way

Alright, so what RAID array is the best to go with then? Seems like RAID 1 and RAID 10 are the most common choices but RAID 1 is just focused on speed while RAID 10 has better reliability?

What is the best ram speed to get?

The highest your motherboard supports. The difference in cost between different speeds of RAM is minimal, there's really no reason to not get the fastest your mobo supports.

The motherboard I'm getting apparently supports up to 4133. I've never seen any that high though.
Do speeds that high have temp problems? Would I need a fan for my RAM or is that a meme?

Casing and assembly make up most of the purhase price, the disks themselves are dirt cheap. Thus low capacity hard drives are relatively expensive.

>Raid 0: best performance, no redundancy
>Raid 1: best redundancy, mediocre write performance, severy limits your capacity
Raid 10 combines these two, giving you benefits from both sides. It has better write speed and gives larger capacity than raid 1 and doesn't die if one drive gets fucked.

Diminishing returns hit hard after 2666 mhz, at least for gaming. You do still benefit from higher frequencies but they're not woth the premium that some companies charge for them. Spend your money on other components rather than meme RAM.

>Do speeds that high have temp problems? Would I need a fan for my RAM or is that a meme?

It is Grade-A marketing meme. In fact no ram runs hot enough to even need a heatsink given the typical airflow a pc case has. All those flashy looking ram sticks are (generally) just marketing gimmicks because memory technology advances very slowly so manufacturers add bling to entice people to pick one brand over the other when it is generally all the same shit.

Stick to something like 3000 or 3200 then, you don't need a fan or anything like that.

I realized the ryzen is jack of all trades and master of none so I'm going with Intel

what?

Thanks lads.

Its called an idiom pajeet

>master of none
Y'know, aside from everything but video games

Stuff that a Xeon would beat it

Sure, show me an 8 core Xeon that can clock at 4 Ghz that costs 330 bucks and I'll consider it

>this $2000 processor is superior in some specific workloads
>it also loses in a lot of others =)

You will see with skylakex