What is the point of overclocking?

What is the point of overclocking?

It adds 10% performance AT BEST for 100% more instability. If you want faster performance buy better components.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>poorfags can squeeze more out of their carppy and/or aging hardware
>ricers have some way of justifying water cooling and it's pricetag of several thousand dollars

Overclocking used to be great. You'd overclock a cheap CPU and it'd turn into a CPU that cost many times as much for free.
But CPU manufacturers (intel specifically) twigged on this and so stopped making CPUs where this was effective. Intel went one step further and actually disabled unlimited overclocking on most of its line just to make sure that you can't get more value out of their processors.
And then their 'unlocked' ones are already clocked as high as they'd safely go.

sounds like Intel is efficiently utilising its hardware.

what is this?

Well it's mostly a factor of fabbing technology changing- AMD's new Ryzen series are really bad overclockers. Which is okay since stock performance is great, but AMD are pushing those chips out the door already clocked almost as high as they'd go.

You can squeeze an extra 500-600mhz out of them

An upgrade code for some Intel processors. For a small fee of 50 dollars you could download a software update that unlocked extra cache, enabled hyperthreading and/or overclocked your processor.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service

>jewtilizing
You spelt it wrong

3.8-3.9 all core turbo and 4.1 single core XFR on the 1800X

It depends on the part. On Maxwell you could archieve 30-40 % more performance starting from a reference card. On low clocked CPUs like the 5820K you also archieve at least 25 %.

LN2 OC is another thing, its about benchmarks and 'being the best'. Daily use OC is for maximum performance. I OC'd my 1070 for example so it can hold stable 60 FPS in BF1 instead of dropping.

They got the idea from IBM, who did it with expensive mainframes and midrange servers. They'd ship it with all CPU sockets and memory slots populated then after you paid up, you got to use the dormant hardware. The Shylocks at Intel decided to do it with cheap ass consumer PCs.

Depends on the chip you use. Some can go 50% gain or more using air. Usually a 100% gain takes more extreme measures like in your pic.

Best mod I ever did was turning 2 x celeron 300's (slot1) into a dual 450. Totally stable too. Not sure what the current creame of the crop today is, but you have to get it right and use the proper series of CPU, right fab plant, series etc... to get extreme overclocking results.

keeping my 2500k relevant in 2017

Timesink activity shit for autistic people who play video games.

Would it surprise you to find out most people playing muh vidya on PCs are poorfags with craptops running intel integrated shitGPU and playing free 2 play eSports trash?

Every hertz counts in Dwarf Fortress. Every single one.
You don't understand the suffering of
playing a masterpiece that has no multicore support in an era where core counts is all everyone focuses on.

>what's the point of fixing your car?
>what's the point of switching gears?
>Overclocking used to be great.
The better question is why the fuck isn't 2500K 4.5Ghz OOB?
Each of them can easily work like that but they all were sold as 3.3ghz chips.

Sometimes the silicon is so good it allows OC like that but marketing dictates manufacturers need to sell less expensive CPU's.

>10% performance at best

my ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.925ghz from it's 3.0ghz base clock would like to have a word with you

>100% more instability

ditto

not sure if OP is gay or never tried overclocking and is therefore gay

>on-disc DLC

You can get an old xeon x5650 for $50

Base clock is 2.66Ghz, you can easily push 4Ghz on air if you have a good cooler, 4.2 is possible but you have to have a golden chip and good cooling.

Much more than 10% family

I got my x5650 as high as 4.5Ghz. Only stable on Linux for some reason, Windows would randomly BSOD.

There are a couple of reasons for doing so
>The stated clockspeed should not throttle the chip with the stock cooler- especially if the coolers are standardized across all consumer skus to reduce overhead.
>Overclocking throws power efficiency out the window, high TDPs look bad on spec sheets
>Initial yields were not that good but after the first batch good overclocking chip yields increased greatly
>Fools people who bought non-k chips into thinking they got a good deal, "Oh, the k chip is only 200mhz faster, lets just get the non-k"

If you're lucky, you can take your 5820k from it's wimpy 3.3Ghz base clock to 4.8Ghz
Every single one of them hits 4.5Ghz though.

That's a shitload of performance increase.

During the 90's, it was a fun way to get some extra power out of a CPU when PC gaymen was a parade of technical marvels that pushed hardware to its limits. Intel killed it because shitbag PC vendors would over clocks cheap chips, sell them at the higher product, and try to mailing them back claiming defect trying to replace their bad bet for free.

AMD married the memory controller to the CPU core in the early 00's. Wonky multiplier tie-ins made overclocking a shitmess since you couldn't clock up your CPU core without overclocking your ram as well.

Today? Who gives a shit outside of benchmark boners? Modern PC games are tuned for potatotops or poorly optimized and won't run well on any hardware. People who use their desktops as shitposting machines won't know the difference between an i3 and an ipad.

Autism.

The 1366 cpu's needs some fiddeling other than just adding vcore to really oc high.

I've had a x5650, and two x5670's (on a SR2), alld did 4.5ghz on water. Also my friends x5650 does 4.6ghz.. All 100% stable.

You dont need a golden chip for the 6core xeons for this, just a decent motherboard, good cooling and some patience :)