Wreck my SSD

I've had an Intel 530 SSD for little over 2 years (9 months of power-on time).
Currently, its media wearout indicator (rough estimate of how much life is left) is at 40%, while in January it was at ~55%.
So it's dying pretty fast naturally.

I still have 3 years of warranty left, but I don't feel like waiting until its natural death catches me by surprise.
So my master plan is to rape the shit out of the drive and return it when it dies.

What's the best way to do this? Should I just keep writing something to it at all times? Seems like the simplest way, not sure if it's the most efficient one.

>9 months of power-on time
>40%

What the hell were you doing to it? Also, you should check if the warranty even covers wearout.

>What the hell were you doing to it?
I fucked up and forgot to move Chromium cache/profile into tmpfs. So everything I did in Chromium got cached on the SSD, which is lots of terabytes, picrelated.

>you should check if the warranty even covers wearout.
... uhh, that might be worth doing. I always assumed that it did, but now that you've mentioned it, it doesn't make much sense.

>put it into an oven or similar hot place while it is running
>feed high voltages or unstable currents to it
>constantly write random data on it
Temperatures and data writes will get recorded by the internal software and intel might refuse your warranty claims if it considers these numbers as "abnormal". IIRC power or current levels are not stored anywhere but if you fry the circuit board it'll show up very quickly.

So, you fucked up. Better to just live and learn.

>Better to just live and learn.
Your option doesn't give me a new SSD, though.

don't buy SSD if you are too retarded to use it

>193 TB of NAND writes for 22 GB of useful writes

I knew SandForce was never good at write optimization, but that's just ridiculous

Just checked the warranty terms -- the warranty ends when media wearout indicator reaches 1%. That's scummy, but I can see why that's a necessary measure.

Well, I better brace for impact.

/thread

Install and play a denuvo game on it, the drm has massive read/write cycles

I also have an Intel 530, is there a way in GNU/Linux to see what my percentage is?

Use gnome-disks or:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Media_Wearout_Indicator
(change sda to the correct drive name)

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Media_Wearout_Indicator
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 093 093 000 Old_age Always - 0

but user, what does it mean?

It's at 93%, you're good.

Thanks, I got this, what does it mean?

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Media_Wearout_Indicator
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

It means you're stupid. Look at the two posts above and apply brain.

I saw that... I'm trying to figure how is it at 100%

good luck killing an intel ssd lmao

233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 2051

what does 2051 mean ?

If only you weren't using GNU/Autism

>the warranty ends when media wearout indicator reaches 1%
I'm assuming American.

We pay more for the same product in Europe, but you guys really get the short end of the stick when it comes to warranty laws...

Russian, friend.

>Warranty
>Laws
Huh, I don't even think there are warranty laws here, what does the government have to do with those?

How does that even happen? I have the pagefile, browser caches, and all sorts of bullshit on my SSD and my computer is always-on. Since I bought my Samsung 830 in 2012, the wear levelling indicator has only dropped down to 78%.

That ssd has a firmware bug that causes epic levels of write amplification. You don't even need to write to it much.
There is a fixed firmware out there, but I don't think it's deployed automatically and it requires you to explicitly look for it.

I dunno, man. What's your power on hours at?
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the cause, but I don't think I wrote 20TB to it in its lifetime. I can believe like 5TB.

>Ctrl + F
>Trim
>0 Results
OP I dumb and probably never checked if the drive was working with Trim enabled.
Same here
15 Months usage
15 TB written
91% wear level aparently

Dude, this isn't ops fault at all. I already said it once, but since it apparently didn't stick. That Intel drive has a known firmware bug/"feature" that causes absurd levels of write amplification. It writes a tb or two a day on nand without significant real write activity.

>830
>That low power on hours

Oh, so OP just need to post what firmware he is at and update if needed, but also check trim, this is one of the deadliest reason why ssd died so fast years ago

I use this on a desktop, wich I use only at mornings and night, I power off when needed and I work, go out during the day

I enabled TRIM on the first day, it has always been enabled. Partitions are aligned.

Linux tools tell me that the firmware version is DC32, I have no idea if that has any meaning. If it does not, I can boot into Windows to get accurate info.

I only once updated the firmware -- when I checked wearout for the first time in January, when it was at ~55%. So it didn't affect the outcome very much, since wearout continued declining.

You don't need to tell me what your firmware is. I know you don't have it, because if you had it you'd explicitly know that you have it and you'd also explicitly know why you got it and furthermore you'd know about the firmware "bug" I'm talking about. Because that firmware is not available to the wide public. You don't accidentally happen upon it.

It's DCV2 for 530 series 2.5 inch drives and RG2V for 535 series 2.5 inch drives.

>Because that firmware is not available to the wide public. You don't accidentally happen upon it.
Oh. You should have said that earlier, as I have indeed accidentally happened upon a "Update firmware" button in Intel's SSD Toolbox and clicked it.

So how do into DCV2?

You type "intel 530 write amplification" into google and then you visit the first link on Intel community.

I did say it earlier, by the way.
Right there. That firmware is not deployed to the public.

>There is a fixed firmware out there, but I don't think it's deployed automatically and it requires you to explicitly look for it.
>That firmware is not deployed to the public.
Jesus fuck and people still use Intel anything? Just get a fucking Samsmug Pro SSD next time, at least those faggots don't try to intentionally fuck you.

I don't particularly care about it. I got the Intel 535 for extremely cheap. 490GB drive for like 150 bucks. Mind you, that price isn't impressive today, but I got it quite a long time ago and before the fixed firmware was assigned you could avoid the massive NAND writes by reading from the HDD every 500ms.

Holy fuck, reading that thread and seeing years go by is heartbreaking. Years just to get some response, let alone a solution.

And I especially love the "Please bear in mind that our drives are covered by a 5-year warranty period" in the end, like that's going to help me when MWI reaches 1% and nobody will care to look past it to see that it's them who fucked up.

Thanks, user. No more Intel crap for me.

... but maybe I should still try to kill the drive and point to the thread when they complain about MWI... i dunno. I'd really like a non-shit SSD, but I can't afford to replace this one myself if they decline.

>what does the government have to do with those
Consumer protection laws, user. But you wouldn't know about them, being american and all.

For example:
- It's illegal to offer less than 2 years warranty on any electronic product (exception for batteries).
- A repaired/replaced product under warranty gains a new 2 years minimum warranty (at least for the replaced part).
- It's illegal for a company to refuse a return for cash if a product is returned as-is withing 15 days.
Etc. Basic stuff.

Oh ok. Don't know how it works there.

24 months and im at 93% and thats with reinstalling and uninstalling games every day because they wouldnt all fit, broski. what're you guys doing?

Two Thousand and Fifty One

16k aint a whole lot either, considering you dont seem to ever turn off your PC

My M4 is at 27k power on with 2.6k power on count

pleb.

You're a fucking retard m8. 16K is a little under 2 years, and the 850 Evo was only around for a bit over 2 years.

Drag a 9v battery (or some other power source around that voltage) across the connector pins if you want to kill it and return it, you won't kill it via over use fast enough. Just make sure there are no marks.

Personally I've lost 2 Intel SSDs just after the warranty. Fuck those jews, never again.
My damn cheapo OCZ Agility 3's are still kicking to this fucking day.

Anyone? How is it 100%? I've had the drive for nearly 3 years.

Maybe it's broken too ^:)
Or maybe it's just not worn out. I have
231 SSD_Life_Left 0x0000 099 099 011 Old_age Offline - 34359738369
after 222 powered on days.

>What's the best way to do this?
Install linux.