Anyone tried IKEA smart lights? Are they any good? tfw phillips hue lights cost too much for me to try

Anyone tried IKEA smart lights? Are they any good? tfw phillips hue lights cost too much for me to try.

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.meethue.com/documentation/how-hue-works
youtu.be/udM-7r83f3Y
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AAAHWPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

idk

Botnet

dumbass

>buying anything with "smart" in the name

Do you really want the jews to know whenever you open/shut your lights? Use your brain guys, don't share such sensitive information.

>implying he isn't right

So what can they do? Dim your lamps against your will?

they are cheap it seems, might buy some if/when they get updated to work with my hue hub.

Use the processing power of the computer on board the light-bulb to DDoS attach you favourite sites and even your home. IoT is shit and nobody should use it, but it will spread like the Windows cancer, hopefully someone will figure out a way to make them implode one day.

>herpaderpadoo the only thing that you can do if you control a device is control the intended functions of it
This is why you fucking retards will never amount to anything.

i don't get it. is the worm already inside the network? I mean at that point who cares, but if they can somehow take over a light and upload a payload to its memory that then sends itself to all the computers on the network then i dunno famski

Just get Xiaomi Yeelights OP.
Shit is awesome and cheap as chips.
Works with Amazon Echo and Google Home via IFTTT.

disgusting proprietary botnet

probably even burn your house if someone wants to

>tfw the botnet doesn't want me dimming, changing color, or auto sleep/wakeup my bulbs
someone post the crying anime grill

>every single mother fucking light bulb
>with a computer in it
retarded.
just get normal ikea led bulbs.

>Yeelight

Is there some kind of RGB lightbulb that can be controlled with a smartphone, but doesn't connect to the Internet?

Flicker the lights to send subliminal messages

just connect it to a wifi router thats not hooked up to the internet... idiot.

Will it still work or they're programmed to send/receive commands through their servers?

It won't cost you more than £1000 to outfit a house with Hue, just go with Phillips.

yeah... they set up a server to do this... and they have databases filled to the brim with all the data values of your lights. entire data centers worth of percentages of dim and on off and color. billions of dollars in bandwidth... that's why these lights have a 19.99/month fee per bulb, for the... servers.

Boffins ay? Well it must be true then.

wut

I'm calling you a moron. They don't use servers. Why the fuck would they use servers? Your phone talks directly to the hub or bulb through wifi. No servers. No internet.

developers.meethue.com/documentation/how-hue-works

>Portal – This is a web based control panel which connects your home to the internet. It delivers control commands from outside and keeps your software in the bridge up-to-date. The portal presents a utility API to help you discover the address of your bridge.

They are making you pay for their server costs, for the collection of telemetry data which they'll sell to marketing companies so ads can recommend stuff to you which are fitting the colour of your rooms lighting.

Yeah, what? It's a web based control panel. what's your point? Is this really Sup Forums?

>It delivers control commands from outside

hue uses get/post at its core, so you could do curl to turn them off and stuff through a router not connected to the internet. you'd want to still upgrade the firmware now and then though.

they are known to be calling china

From your phone... not from a server. That's only if you're not home...

Why the fuck would the light connect to the hub, to the wifi that your phone is on, just to have your phone send info to the internet... then to the CONTROL PANEL, then to the light?

If you're not home, how would your phone connect to the bulbs, if not through the Internet (meaning through some server)?

>Why the fuck would the light connect to the hub, to the wifi that your phone is on, just to have your phone send info to the internet... then to the CONTROL PANEL, then to the light?
So you can control them from wherever you are, even if you're not within your wifi's reach.

Listen. You don't need internet. They don't send commands to a server, handling millions of connections a day just to change the value of a light bulb. Don't be a moron. It doesn't need internet.

I know it doesn't "need" it for normal use. I just thought they added internet connectivity for those features that require it, and that he server cost was factored in the (rather high) cost of the bulb.

it has internet connectivity coming in from a cellphone. the whole point is they dont have servers.

you're either a shill or retarded.

CHINA

Don't post ever again you dog fucking chink.

What does that even mean?

Shill for what?
I just never got one, and I'm asking about how they work.
A normal response explaining how would've satisfied me, but I kept getting called a moron and being told that it's unrealistic that they could have servers. Other than that the responses I got were contrasting with my understanding of what I had read on their website, so I kept asking questions because nobody is explaining me why it doesn't use the Internet, but instead just telling me it doesen't, beacuse.

It really seems like I'm the one arguing against Philips Hue shills, that keep dancing around my questions instead of answering them clearly.

so they can just turn of the server and your light wil stop working?

no, you just wouldn't be able to control the lights from outside the WiFi range. could do it via VPN on the router the hub is connected to though.

This cuck had a pretty honest review a few weeks back.
youtu.be/udM-7r83f3Y

>Buying name brand RGBW LED lights
Why? The chinese ones work just as well and cost a fraction of the price. They also use a reliable remote and not some stupid app.

those controllers look anything but reliable,. but yeah no point in buying in to the meme now if your concern is price, that's always high when the meme starts.
chink is probably OK, but i don't expect those to ever get firmware updates and the like, so probably lock your network down so you don't help the botnets.

>those controllers look anything but reliable
Which is why you get ones with good remotes
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AAAHWPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Or you get the ones that use bluetooth.

>don't expect those to ever get firmware updates and the like
Why would they need them?

>so probably lock your network down so you don't help the botnets.
They're not online. They're remote controlled.

Buy cheap chink Bluetooth RGB bulbs, it works just fine and actually has a ton of features

>not buying smart underwear with shart-resistant automatic deodorizers and white nano-LEDs to hide the brown stain

IoT is the next big thing in over-reliance on proprietary software in places where it offers little to no benefit while potentially a catastrophic opportunity for exploitation.

Industry has so willingly accepted this shit. Siemens will be the new Skynet.

>no 110V
>have to seriously firewall this nigger to prevent chinkatry
close but no cigar

i guess you have a point user. wouldn't buy into that myself, but more power to you if you do

>smart
Retard.

i have Phillips Hue lights, they are great, but ridiculously priced.

>$89 LED strip