Why doesn't anyone here like Java?

Why doesn't anyone here like Java?

Give me a detailed reason.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks/blob/master/frameworks/Java/spring/src/main/java/com/techempower/spring/web/WorldDatabaseController.java
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unless they mean to use a better language like Clojure I don't think they are more than trolls

It's a meme to hate Java.

Most people who hate on it cannot even program in any language.

>Verbose and ugly syntax
>Requires JVM
>Updates get pushed to try to trick people into installing some third-party garbage of the month
>Primarily used by Pajeets

If you want speed, use C++. If you want ease of use, use python. If you want the jvm ecosystem + ease of use, use Kotlin or Scala.

There's no place for Java.

>Verbose and ugly syntax
verbosity makes programmer's intent clearer. this helps enormously when working in big teams or with inherited code

>Requires JVM
that's a plus

>Updates get pushed to try to trick people into installing some third-party garbage of the month
non-shit operating systems don't have this problem

>Primarily used by Pajeets
well, there's a fuckton of them, so that's not really surprising

Type erasure in generics. Proper collections are impossible due to the aforementioned reason, anything but arrays of primitive types is dogshit slow. 4kb of memory per class instance.

I write it for a living and like it. All these other fags here are contrairians and hate java because its the most used language and an industru standard for enterprise software.

- No sum types.
- No proper closures.
- The billion dollar mistake.
- Verbose like no other.
- No modules.
- Requires class declarations for everything.
- Does generics via type erasure instead of monomorphization.
- JVM is fast for what it does, but eats memory like a madman and what it does is shoveling shit, so despite all the work put into it it loses to fucking Go.

Thankfully, good IDEs (read: IDEA) and Kotlin makes dealing with the ecosystem much more bearable.

But it's absolute dogshit. We've had so much better languages since forever.

>anything but arrays of primitive types is dogshit slow
by your definition everything slower than C is dogshit slow

>Type erasure in generics. Proper collections are impossible due to the aforementioned reason
and yet there's an insane amount of java code doing important things right now and it just werks

>by your definition everything slower than C is dogshit slow
No, by my definition Java is simply slower than everything else in this regard.
>and yet there's an insane amount of java code doing important things right now and it just werks
Same can be said about cobol and fortran.

>and yet there's an insane amount of java code doing important things right now and it just werks

And COBOL runs half the world's banks.

Shit languages can be used for doing productive shit, it doesn't mean the language makes the programmers productive compared to a decently designed language or doesn't introduce all sorts of pitfalls that lead to disaster in production.

Java is not a bad language tbqh.
Some people have may hate it because of memes and shit like that.

Personally I have nothing against it (except for some little things like the lack of unsigned int and strange handling of Strings), it's a good language, but some libraries, methods and implementations might be cancerous.

Programming for Android, specially on Android Studio, makes me want to kill myself.

>comparing java to covol and frotran
>while unironically liking c and the like
Wew lad

KOTLIN
O
T
L
I
N

>Java is not a bad language tbqh

The only way someone can say that is by not having much experience in other languages. What have you programmed in?

> Programming for Android, specially on Android Studio, makes me want to kill myself.

The Android API is world-renowned for being shit. Everyone sane agrees on that.

>while unironically liking c and the like

When did I imply I liked C? It's shit too.

>EVERYTHING I DONT LIKE IS SHIT!

Forgot to quote for last greentext.

I never said I like C.

Thats what is better than java and c for most projects, smart guys

C, C++ (not much, 1 year job), C# (currently), Python and Java.

Again, Java is not a bad language for what the people says about it.

There are problems with the language yeah we all know but it's not all that of a monster people like to meme about. No need to be so dramatic.

C#.

>a 5 year old benchmark from xamarin's website
kek

It's not benchmarked often despite being so immensely important. And math based benchmarks use simple arrays, hence why java scores reasonably high there.

Both are languages full of pitfalls born in times where comp sci had already shown how to prevent whole classes of bugs with a decent, straightforward type system.

They're shit.

Java's worse tho.

To replace C? Depends on what area. Rust is the most obvious one but it's not mature enough for some uses, for which you might wanna consider Ada or a C subset like MISRA.

For Java? Kotlin and Scala are the most obvious straightforward replacements. Otherwise F#, OCaml, Rust or Haskell got you covered.

Try a language derived from ML. F# looks like the best choice for your background. Elm is a great introduction to the concepts if you wanna fuck around in the frontend a bit without the JS cancer.

It's about workplaces that use Java. Nothing wrong with Java, but job descriptions that ask for Java are red flags. And .NET. Whoa, that's pretty much the whole market lol.

Thankfully Scala and Kotlin are pretty popular in Java shops.

Wish F# got more popular at .NET shops, but C# development is a much better experience than Java anyway.

here they use collections
github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks/blob/master/frameworks/Java/spring/src/main/java/com/techempower/spring/web/WorldDatabaseController.java

reflection

>comparing Java to Java

Yes, I'm using C# with Unity at my current job. I'm hoping our next project uses 2017.1 which has C# 6 features. It'll be so fucking awesome.

OP here, right now I use Java for web scripting and a few desktop applications. I'm maybe intermediate level.

I'd like to do more desktop applications. What language would you guys recommend for this as a replacement to java?

>ease of use
>kotlin syntax
ok

Better question....What's the most versatile programming language? C++?

>I use Java for web scripting

So, GWT?

> I'd like to do more desktop applications. What language would you guys recommend for this as a replacement to java?

GUIs? QML. Write non-UI logic in C++ or a language with QML bindings.

CLIs? Anything that compiles to a native binary. Go is a bit of a default choice nowadays.

> What's the most versatile programming language? C++?

It's better to learn many languages well-suited to specific tasks than a single all-encompassing one.

C++ is the living example on why the latter is a terrible idea that drives an ecosystem into the shitter.

typescript with electron
kotlin with tornadofx
c++ with qt5