Why is Windows so hard to use?

Why is Windows so hard to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.1/packagemanagement/find-package
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>giving a pwned repo sudo access
gr8 security m8.

You overstating how simple linux can be to a tech illiterate. You don't just right install. As you show in the image you have to write sudo apt-get, most people get intimidated just hearing something like that. OSX In terms of installs if the fucking easiest, literally drag and drop to the applications folder. Regardless, if you know how to use windows you can do a console install if you'd like.

That doesn't even get into what needs to be done when the software you want isn't in the repo.

>E: Unable to locate package php-7.0

Most people don't even know what an "apt-get" is, user. Let alone the name of the package so they can install it.

Normies would rather dick around with malware in a GUI and get infected, that's their right

you didn't need that package anyways.

>phpajeet

>literally
no apt-get or dnf-install or pacman -s is not literally "install"

Every desktop distro comes with a software app.
Tell the illiterate people to do it that way.

So how do I install on a separate drive in linux?

This. Installing shit not in the repo ranges from "download this .deb file and open it" to "download the source code for this program and 5 of its dependencies, and build and install all the dependencies before building and installing this. Also you'd better have like 5 different build tools because all of these dependencies use different things and some of the build scripts are broken on specific versions of said tools."

I guess we have stores for normies too

Just compile it and it's dependencies wherever you want.

>OSX In terms of installs if the fucking easiest, literally drag and drop to the applications folder.
this is what should be done for Linux distros (ubuntu maybe)

>want to install an application on linux
>have to know the exact package name or you cant find it
>wants to install 100 other packages
>wants to install 3GB of files and X on my headless server

>and i hope you are using v6.2 of this library, because if you have v6.3 or later it won't work

No, it's disgusting. Why teach this level of illiteracy to the point users have no idea what goes in behind the scenes?

you see it's so simple you don't even need gui

> Hit advanced install recommended for experienced users only
> It's literally just a checkbox to opt out of their bundled adware
smdh tbqhwu famallamas

>want to install the latest stable version of an application on linux
>system only has an old stable version
>have to build the whole application because using a obscure distro and nobody else has made a backport.
>build system requires newer versions of libfoo and libbar
>can't install those libs because they break existing ones
>end without new application because i would have to upgrade the whole system
Apps should offer a self-contained version.

A good tool is a one that makes the user be unconscious of it.

Why should a lawyer, a physician or a designer know the internals of an operating system and applications?

It is if I make an alias for it.

>unconscious of it
>having to drag and drop like some illiterate monkey flinging shit and having no control
Why shouldn't they be able to open and use a terminal? Why shouldn't they understand the trivial basics of something they use frequently?

>Why shouldn't they be able to open and use a terminal? Why shouldn't they understand the trivial basics of something they use frequently?
Because if they have to do that shit then they'll just buy a Windows computer or Mac instead.
And you wonder why Linux has a microscopic desktop marketshare.

He's actually right, people would be repelled by the words 'sudo apt-get install'. I never thought of that but non-tech interested people would really hate it.

That's not to say they shouldn't all be mercilessly slaughtered en masse as soon as possible

>that it doesn't install any adware or malware to your pc
Stop getting your software from noviruses.tk
>had to delete stuff to show the link

Every keypress makes it seem exponentially harder to install, so the bottom picture is literally impossible to understand for the average user. Also you have to know the name of the package. Also it should be in the repository in the first place. And you aren't even guaranteed to get the latest version this way.

>OSX In terms of installs if the fucking easiest, literally drag and drop to the applications folder

A lot of mac software dont use this anymore and only use normal installers. Drag-and-drop dont allow Yahoo toolbars and other adware.

>you aren't even guaranteed to get the latest version this way
because:
>some apps require newer versions of libraries while others still depend of older versions
>no one designed package repositories to keep different versions side by side (because "muh disk space" or "you're reinventin' the wheel"

>one requires download other does not
really smart...

To linux users - install an application to two different places(or show another way to keep two sets of application settings and use them simultaneously) without googling the commands.

>inb4 a "I used DDG to find the command" smartass appears

depends on the application but it could be as simple as

program -c ~/.program/config.conf
program -c ~/.program/config2.conf

so you're telling me windows requires using your brain while linux is made for tech illiterates to use a whole library of 10 programs

cut the bullshit, windows users are just tech illiterate macfags that can't afford macs.

I have a Surface Pro (Win 10), Macbook Pro, and some shitty old desktop with Windows 7. Guess which machine I use most often?

a vibrating dildo

kek'd

I would be too embarrassed to buy one of those, silly. But thinking about it, I think the only reason I don't like the macbook is because I've never hooked a mouse up to it and I fucking hate the single giant track pad that doesn't have any buttons.

>He still writes apt-get

apt?

>Linux

Linux is just one part of an Operating System. What you are actually referring to as Linux in that image is in fact Ubuntu Linux which comes preloaded with Amazon spyware.

choco install ghc

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.1/packagemanagement/find-package

If you have ever used chocolatey you would know its shit and just a bandaid covering a spurting artery

>sudo
>to install a program
Who thought that this was a good idea?
Why hasn't everyone moved to nix/guix yet?

It installs it system-wide, so it would be stupid for it to NOT require root privileges.

>It installs it system-wide
And this is stupid because It should give you the ability to install it locally without root privileges.

is this 2010?

>giving a random .exe file from the internet sudo access

We see how that worked out over the last decade

This forum if for people who are able to install Gentoo and use it on a daily basis. Windows and macOS are for normies, they're here by mistake.

Me
>mbp
>hackintosh
>Debian server
>windows vm
Mad much?

You didn't start off knowing what a "wizard" or a "C:\ drive" is either.

Image depicts Windows XP and Ubuntu 10ish, so yeah, probably

Find a version of the application that is just the executable and extract it to whatever directory you please.

macOS only obfuscates that the App is a bundle of files, other than that it is completely straightforward

It's Windows and GNU Plus Linux that obfuscate behind installers, assuming the user can't copy the file to the appropriate folder without assistance

sudo apt-get install photoshop
pacman -S gtav
emerge -pv AutoCAD

>i curl willy nilly and don't look at what the fuck i'm doing to my system

>what is abstraction
>what is job security
kill yourself, nigger.

funnily enough i think there is an aur package for gtav that does some winefuckery to get the game to run properly.

How though

Does WINE even support DX10 yet

All I know is that now it supports 64 bit software

it does dx11 actually.
if you search the arch user repo youll see a lot of game specific packages.
gog actually has a big presence on the aur. since they publish custom installers for linux. users just optimize those for arch or make wine profiles with installers for windows only games.

1. I prefer portable applications
2. I WANT to choose destination directory, because I don't like all my tools thrown in one giant sack.

A wizard is a dude who magically makes programs work, what's so difficult to understand?

Yes, user, I'm sure you're capable of surgically operating on yourself since you use your body every day, right? You're not going to tell me you're incapable of some basic problem solving?

>As you show in the image you have to write sudo apt-get, most people get intimidated just hearing something like that
>sudo apt-get
this is sad, so sad

lol that pic, mind if I save it?

>he still uses loonix

It's copyright, please don't.

brb gonna format and install windows

>not using software created by yourself
This board is getting worse and worse

Worked out pretty well for me, familia.

why is every 'windows is shit linux is great' thread sound like you want to convince yourself in the first place?

>Install Photoshop

It didn't work, OP

Getting an encrypted home directory

>Linux
compile these kernel modules, program your custom hard disk driver in C, then run these 300 commands and edit fstab and finally add 10 startup scripts to your init system

>Windows
open an email attachment

Feel dumb Linux fags?

I don't think that does what you think it does.

OH YOU WANT TO INSTALL PHP.
>following packages will be removed upon installing php
>kernel, de, x-server, root drive

JUST

Has literally never happened

kek

user@host:~$ install firefox
install: missing destination file operand after ‘firefox’
Try 'install --help' for more information.

HELP

Try sudo apt-get install firefox

Aha, so you're saying it's not literally just typing "install" followed by a program you want to install.

It's just called php, not php7

linux
>install shit
>shit is not in the repos
OR
>shit needs crap and bullshit to install
>crap not in the repos
windows
>install shit
>shit needs crap and bullshit, but it's in the installer anyway

>open Powershell as admin
>"choco install brackets"
>"choco upgrade blender"
I wish the Chocatley repo was larger and include RawTherapee

linux
>install shit
>shit is not in the repos
> $ vim sources
>now shit is in the repos
windows
>install shit
>shit needs crap and bullshit, but it's in the installer anyway
>the installer also has 7 toolbars and a shopping assistant addon
>welcome to mcafee internet security

add "alias install='sudo apt-get install'" to your .bashrc then...

>windows
>need to scroll through multiple screens of images to figure out how to do something
>linux
>just copypaste a command to bash and/or add or uncomment a line in .config file
CLI is superior.

>whatever program you want
bullshit.

>doesnt install any adware or malware to your pc
>implying apt install is safer because it silently installs malware and backdoors into the system
>trusting "open source" developers vs trusting closed source employees that risk jailtime and job for inserting anything beyond the normal user tracking for ad revenue

I seriously hope you people aren't crippling yourselves with an operating system without even 1 good IDE

And by the time you've started with aliases, you are out of tech illiterate tier anyway.

>or show another way to keep two sets of application settings and use them simultaneously
Just SSH into a different user when you want to use the other settings.

gnome-software is a step in the right direction
the shell even gives you suggestions for available software in search

more people using gnu/linux = more attention by developers = more software :)

>normal user tracking for ad revenue
That's called "malware", user.

All jetbrains software is available for Linux

>try to uninstall something
>you can't because it's not a real package manager and just runs shitty Powershell scripts

Defeated.

create a minimal chroot on the other drive