youtube.com/watch?v=4NXMmHYNYfA
youtube.com/watch?v=hx30Z7_G-vk
youtube.com/watch?v=JQiZaPDEhXo
youtube.com/watch?v=VWjPvME5hb8
youtube.com/watch?v=RrU540KkjN8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What went so right?

id fuck him so hard

Does anyone have that image of s conf file of systemd vs a conf file of sysinit?

Can somone explain what the hell systemd is and why everyone hates it?

SysV fags on suicide watch

System administration base dwellers too lazy for new shit. That went wrong.

nothing, binary logs aside it's fucking perfect

Biggest trojan horse in the history of free software development. Tell gullible idiots you're writing an init system that's super hyper extreme fast because of some random buzzword everyone has forgotten by now because it was only a stupid marketing trick and in reality you're plan was to get the whole user space under control from day 1.

FUD... OpenRC shows you just need to provide a few handy shell functions to produce readable init scripts.

Meanwhile the whole config file thing of systemd is cancer that belongs in the Windows world. I'd jokingly say the next thing the FreeDesktop """""people""""" add is a Windows registry but they did that already with their gconfig shit.

>Meanwhile the whole config file thing of systemd is cancer
why?
it's a much simpler and cleaner solution
>gconf
it uses xml so it's fine in my book
dconf however uses a binary format much closer to the windows registry

>perfect
it's slow as fuck.
Arch Linux takes 3-4 times longer to boot, mostly because of systemd.

>xml
>fine

install solus

you can open the database files in a text editor

>why?
Init scripts.. you want to execute commands... you want to check stuff... you want something Turing complete... putting that into config files is just retarded. All the systemd flags ala CheckIfDirectoryExistsOnSundayAfterFullMoon show the abuse.

Systemd is successful the way MongoDB is successful: People write a Hello World and think "Look, it's so much easier than Postgres" and that makes them think it's superior but it'll come around and bite their ass.

can't you just make a shell script and set ExecStart to that?

It was supposed to be a replacement for the part of Linux that starts everything you need at boot, but it became its own API which just adds more and more shit to itself. The problem is its shit at being an init replacement because it is so bloated by now it actually slows down the boot times, basically not doing the one job it set out to do!

>add is a Windows registry but they did that already with their gconfig shit.
Gee, its almost like the registry is a good thing

this
systemd
just works better

it is a horrible idea, that just spirals out of control every time

>spirals out of control
So it's perfect for systemd.

True that
>tfw systemd boot times are slower than the 'slow' old init system boots

What the hell are you guys talking about? Systemd boots up the system in the same time of other init system
youtube.com/watch?v=r3p4TVBDlHc
youtube.com/watch?v=4NXMmHYNYfA

Well that is still ridiculous, it was built to drastically reduce boot times by launching tasks concurrently and in the end it boots at the same time as something like OpenRC? When something like Runit just pisses all over it.

It's a "swiss army knife" that provides standardization across Linux distros which makes things a lot easier for admins and developers. Autistic neckbeards hate it because it took away their sense of satisfaction they get from editing text files to get basic functionality.

Did you saw the first video? It took just 6 sec to boot up, while openrc took 23s

you forgot the part where it is a bloated piece of shit, I have never edited any init scripts before I used systemD and now that the distribution I use switched to it, I had to look up how to deal with it multiple times.

Kys. It doesn't standardize shit, it's doing things the way Poettering wants. Enjoy relying on some systemd """"""""""standard"""""""""" only to see it break in a x.x.1 release and then begging Poettering to undo it in a Github issue which he closes with a "We don't force you to use systemd" comment.

Yeah, something impossible to debug an without a fixed border really makes admin's jobs easier.

*border=boot order

sorry, drunk

Autistic neckbeards

No, he is too afraid to adopt systemd. Better bash it.

Better go back to Windows. It's the same shit sooner or later anyways.

Lennart might look like a twink but he's acting more like an autist than even the fattest neckbeard on Sup Forums.
Everything he does is gold, every problem is someone's else fault, everybody who disagrees with him is stupid.
That's really how he thinks.

You embrace a virus for 17 seconds a month?

>virus
care to show proof or you just want to shitpost?

sysvinit is just executing command --daemon
also bash script is much more simple than that INI-like format shit that requires me to read systemdick documentation

initscripts also don't get parsed and executed in PID 1.
Systemd fags often get that wrong but sysvinit never runs a shell interpreter in PID 1.

Based on the apparent goal of the project it would have been easier to just start with getting windows 98 to run on a Linux kernel.

Arch linux takes 3-4x longer to boot than void linux. This is a fact.

The major difference between them that'd affect this is systemd.

Again, no arguments. It's just plain retarded to compare the boot times of tow different distro with two different inits. Sup Forums shits on systemd costantly but doesn't even know the reason.

>What went so wrong?
They never imagined ass-blasted, luddites would carry on about it for so long.

>Arch linux takes 3-4x longer to boot than void linux. This is a fact.
Arch boots in under 3 seconds for me. This is a fact.This is without any attempt at making it faster. You Sir, are full of shit. Fastest booting distro I've ever used was Solus, coming in at 1.37 seconds, unmodified and WITH systemd.

Yeah fuck those retards hindering innovation.
We need more cloud integration and we should rewrite the kernel in C# and the userland in JavaScript.

Arch Linux, completely bare bone and headless, takes like half a minute to boot for me.

systemd is an aberration.

End of ALL conversation about how can be the systemd a malware.

There are people in this board who actually believe in what you said (i.e. everything must go to the cloud and hardware should ship with bytecode VMs/interpreters so everything can be implemented in high-level languages);

You got some trash hardware, it taskes 3 seconds for me and I'm using a Core m3 and at least 1.5 of those seconds is from me entering the password to decrpyt the disk.

It's time for non-systemd distros to consider themselves a different platform altogether and be maintained with that in mind. The "hey we're the same platform, just without systemd" approach is not going to work forever, because sooner or later too much will hard-depend on systemd to make that feasible, and non-systemd distros will either have to adopt it anyway or be discontinued. It's time to make sure they will never ever be in danger of becoming dependent on systemd in any way, otherwise they inevitable will run into a wall at some point.

in the interest of being impartial here's the other 4 videos on the first page of youtube search results when you type systemd vs openrc

archbang systemd vs openrc youtube.com/watch?v=hx30Z7_G-vk
manjaro 17.0.1 (xfce) systemd vs openrc youtube.com/watch?v=JQiZaPDEhXo
ubuntu 15.04 systemd vs upstart youtube.com/watch?v=VWjPvME5hb8
gentoo systemd vs openrc youtube.com/watch?v=RrU540KkjN8

>b-but muh cherrypicked data shows openrc is slow!
>b-but Sup Forums doesn't even know what it's talking about!

I'd be half interested in doing the test myself but given stock gentoo openrc takes less than 3 seconds to get into i3 (autologin) on my hardware whereas any other systemd based distro on the same hardware (fedora, centos, ubuntu) takes about as long I really couldn't give a shit

And it'd be 1 second with void linux.
Stay slow.

The speed are basically the same. What are you trying to prove?

Rubbish. Void is shit. It' no "faster" than anything else. Stay dishonest and mad.

Slackware doesn't have this problem.

It's time for the systemd platforms to stop calling themselves Linux.

>comparing text editor to non-text editor
doc, docx, ttf, etc is like binary file, not plain text file you fucking dumbfuck
if you want to compare something, compare something similar

Big meanie critic white men didn't help Lennart the Poet out, so now systemd sucks and it's all their fault.

took the b8

>took the respond b8