Why isn't this discussed more?

Why isn't this discussed more?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackbuild_scripts
slackwiki.com/SlackBuild_Scripts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's shit

It's not a meme distro, there's not much to discuss.

But 90% of Sup Forums is on board with the systemd-hate-meme, this is a solid distro without systemd.

One of the originals I think. Debian, Slackware and Redhat for me back in the day.
Everything else is basically a spinoff.

Install systemd

Not true, by the way.

Slackware is the oldest linux distro still being maintained.

Debian and RedHat are still going, but RedHat split itself up for beta, consumer and server.

Isn't it based on pure shell scripts? I wonder how does it work. We hear around once you do the installation you have to compile programs yourself, how true is this?

you can add a utility called sbopkg and compile software from the Slackbuilds website

best distro period

This is correct. Slackware is rock solid.

>Isn't it based on pure shell scripts? I wonder how does it work.
debian using some kind of makefile, and that makefile itself is just executing
./configure
make
the same as how slackware build its package, but using shell script

>We hear around once you do the installation you have to compile programs yourself, how true is this?
you do know aur exists on arch, right?
so you have slackbuilds.org on slackware

Because it's not le epic bleeding edge like Arch and not one-click install like Ubuntu.

>once you do the installation you have to compile programs yourself, how true is this?
What pray tell do you think apt-get install does?

Well, it is a period distro there is no arguing that.

Thank god I'm not the only one. It just doesn't get discussed much because it's used by mature people and not the Arch kiddies.

Do you know where I can find more information on these scripts? I really love to know more.

They are but Slackware came out before both of those.

It doesn't have automatic dependency resolution. Which is something most Sup Forums babies would want.

Also 14.2 comes with Pulseaudio so is not precisely the distro to use to escape Red Hat malware.

They trick BlueZ into drop support for plain ALSA. This RedHat cancer has gone too far. Someone should fork BlueZ immediately!

Gantoo tier

Yes, but Gantoo gets mentioned literally every other post. Slackware gets mentioned maybe every 10,000th.

I had to look it up. Slackware beat Debian by 1 month. July 16, 1993

Slackware via Slax was my first distro in 2005-ish.
I was planning to experiment with it around that time anyway, but later on, my hard drive fucking DIED hard. (head smashed in to the platter)

I spent 7 months using a Slax live disc and 512MB USB stick for storage, writing stuff back to the DVD when close to running out, until I could afford a replacement drive. (I was a poor teen college student)
Also using online storage at the time. Imageshack mainly. That shit site is still around, tried to get my files off it the other year just for old times sake, but they force you to pay to get in to your account now. kek nope, not even for my dank old maymays.

It's basically a worse Gentoo, there's literally nothing it can do that Gentoo doesn't do better.

I started using slackware in 1995. Used it until
~2007. I switched to debian because of the ease
of getting large programs like audacity etc
that was just too much of a bother on slackware.
Now I use arch because of the AUR.
It's a fine system. I hear it's starting to get a
apt-get type system going. I will probably
check it out again sometime soon.

If I want Slackware I run openSuSE

Distro for people born in late 70s

lmao i just picture this man i bet he have a mustache

I was not joking, every Slackware fan I know is in late 30s, early 40s, they were ex-colleague of mine.

Largly accurate. I was born in 79 and started using it in high school. I still use mutt, mc, vim,
screen, etc. GUIs feel very weird for me. Like
being at a large load party with lots of minorities.
TUIs for life.

For that age group, well, we were all in college when Linux came out or was just getting traction and Slackware would have been a prime distro back then to choose. It is still an amazing choice (typing this from a Slackware desktop), but the kids look elsewhere 1st.

Why? fuck, look at Sup Forums. Nobody wants to understand the thing. Almost everybody wants a shortcut - it's the windows mindset, and the mindset behind systemd itself. You know, I have a problem, what do I type in to solve it. Slackware, otoh is a tool that makes it easy to understand all the pieces and how they fit together.

I've started using Slackware lately. Prior to Slack, Debian was my favourite distribution but safe to say, I'm really enjoying Slackware. I wish more people gave this a try.

>it installs GNU COBOL by default
the fuck man

docs.slackware.com/slackware:slackbuild_scripts
slackwiki.com/SlackBuild_Scripts

Slax is my favorite mini-distro because it has (or at least had, dunno if it still does) an option to dump the entire OS into RAM, which made even the shittiest machine lightning fast

Shit package manager

Shit repos

Shit documentation

Shit bug reporting system

Shit update intervals

I mean what is actually good about Slackware?

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.

The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.

You sound a bit unstable.

I have a slackware disc from the 90s still

That's why I loved it so much.
At the time I got more RAM for my machine, which was a god-send in disguise since it dented my ability to get a new drive for that period.

That 7-month period was interesting.
I certainly learned more in that period than I did 2 years at college doing 80% of the stuff I already knew and 20% of stuff I would never use. FUCK.
I sure fucking LOVE Delphi and UML.

Actually, I started using it after getting suggested by an user in here.

After Debian failed me with its shitty package management and broken fuckups, Slackware is actually more stable and gives more freedom of control.

Also, not a fucking meme like gentoo and Arch. It's a distro that requires some skill and is not a timesink.

Don't fall for the jew memes that shill Arch and Gentoo to waste your time.